Chemist Warehouse

Pharmacy Assistant139 reviews
Australia139 reviews

3.0Work–Life Balance

Busy and overworked Brunswick store

Worked at Chemist Warehouse for a number of years as a Pharmacy Assistant. Low pay, very busy. The only redeeming feature was the people I worked with. If you're looking for retail, find something better.

Pros

Cons

low pay, on your feet all day, short lunch breaks (30 min for lunch)

Unappreciative, horrible pay and disrespectful store managers.

Working for chemist warehouse has been the worst decision i have made in my life, you work your hardest yet they fail to recognise or show some sort of appreciation. The pay is HORRIBLE!! minimum wage is given, disrespectful store managers. The store managers are stuck up, they fail to understand any struggles you’re going through. You’re treated like rubbish. They overwork you and force you to stay longer than your shift without even asking prior when they have store visits, leaving everything till last minute which places pressure and loads of hard work on the employees. When you come up with an issue you’re facing with any store manager, the store manager is always being defended even though they’re in the wrong. Our feelings are off the charts and meaningless when we address them. Trust me on this, don’t waste you’re time and efforts working at an unappreciative, manipulating and disrespectful company. Proud to say i’m finally out of this place. Was absolute torture.

Chemist Warehouse insights

What people like
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Energising work tasks

Don’t work here unless you like abuse.

You’re not seen as a person. Management will avoid communication with you. Your time will not be respected, and if you speak up about it, you better expect some nasty treatment from middle management.

Workflow and structure

No communication, left upto staff to figure out, so constant errors are made. No structure everyone doing minimal effort, frustrated so constant pressure on those workers who do work hard which also get burned out.

Bad pay and bad treatment

Worked at chemist warehouse for 3 years and you can’t really progress at all. All of the jobs are repetitive and very menial. Customers treat you awfully. The pay is horrible. Currently 19 getting paid only $18 per hour. Very hard to balance work with uni. Generally I can be flexible with my hours and my manager will work around however everyday I work there my soul gets drained from me

Stressful

Pay isn't enough to cover cost of living. It is very difficult to get a pay rise and there is little advancement. You could be assigned manager duties at anytime without the correct pay. Workplace morale is very low. Discounts are only up to 10% and more often than not items are not discounted at all. I witnessed multiple instances where my co-workers' safety where threatened by customers. Management does nothing for this. If you can handle it the job security is very good.Do yourself a favour and find work somewhere else.

Fun and productive place to work

Good work place culture, great management team that are not afraid to assist you when required. Fast paced environment with a huge focus on customer service, so you are never bored.Sales and budgets are pushed just like any other large business. This gives you something to work towards as a team.Great training programs and lots of freebies.

Stressful, bad management

It was great at first. But now people are quitting and no one has been replaced, not even looking for people. So current staff are beyond stressed and over worked and no one cares. Things don’t get fixed if they break, and customers constantly abuse you. If you think that this and the bare minimum wage sounds appealing, then this is the job for you.

Pros

Our hours are permanent, so you know exactly when you work all the time - no roster each week

Cons

Horrible, soul sucking place to work

Working at Chemist Warehouse has completely beaten down my spirit. Understaffed, overworked and ridiculous expectations about how much I should be putting in for a job that pays the absolute minimum. Paid time off is not even a benefit here as you'd be lucky to ever be granted the luxury. At this point, I'm just writing it off as my pay out when I can finally quit. Customers are horrible, pay is horrible, expectations and the amount of responsibilities are horrible, the environment is horrible—there is nothing about this job I enjoy except the fact I get contracted hours and it is not shift work. Other than that, I would never recommend this job to anyone. Not even my worst enemy.

Pros

sometimes you can take home products that have are no longer fit to be sold

Cons

everything

Wouldn't recommend

Chemist warehouse is not the place for you if you are looking for a productive, uplifting and positive environment where you feel like you are using your brain. The environment is very negative and with no opportunities for development, management was rigid and very critical and did not know how to manage staff properly or effectively.10/10 would not recommend.

Work here for a while but not too long

Your work ethic is practically thrown out the door once new members are hired and constant workplace gossiping. The pro is that I got work experience through the previous management. When this chaged so did the workplace politics (ie. gossiping) Used to be good... The job entails quite repetitive movements and same day to day activities. Unless you want to move to retail management I solely reccomend after a period of working for CWH move into a new field, there is no potential career progress, unless you want to be a Pharmacist or Retail manager.

Hard work but friendly team

This was a good job over all, most of the team were friendly in Bundaberg. Some small issues were annoying like made to work public holidays if they fell on your weekend, rules were not enforced across the board for everyone which wasn’t right. Staff needed more support from management when rude customers attack their staff, they should intervene and not let the staff member cop the abuse. Over all it was a good place but could of been better.

productive and fun

I really enjoyed working here..every morning excited to go to work as there is really employee friendly environment and high scope of professional and personal growth.

Pros

flexibility and friendly environment

Cons

keen for perfection

it is a good place to learn about some of the retail pharmacy industry if you are thinking about a career in pharmacy

I think chemist warehouse is a great place to be if you are thinking of a career in pharmacy as a pharmacist or as a pharmacy assistant. You do get to learn about the world of retail pharmacy and it is interesting, busy but most of all, in my experience, I was lucky to work with so many different people, different ages and it was fun

Worst Place I’ve ever worked.

Management have no idea how to manage. Owner goes above and beyond to not give you entitlements. If your sick, your forced to go to work, or you get in trouble. You get told off for not getting things done, yet not given time to do them. Overworked…underpaid. Expected to attend work meetings out of hours and not get paid for them. Worst company I have ever worked for!!

Pros

Some freebies

Cons

Work your butt off and it’s still not good enough

Fun Workplace

It's a great place for starting your first job. You learn the ins and outs of the place in which helping customers becomes easy and efficient. It has a strong management to provide that great workplace culture.

Pros

Strong teamwork

Cons

Small breaks

Fun and busy place

Fun and busy place to work at. Coworkers are friendly. The retail manager is good at organising the shop. Had the opportunity to learn about dispensary too as pharmacist student

Love the staff pay is bad

depends on the chemist warehouse u work at and the ppl u work with some days r impossible cause of the roster some days go by in a flash rly depends on the people

good

autonomy putting away stock and doing stock intake, faced paced, very low pay, supportive area manager

Fast paced

Fast paced, but good people. Management can be better. Lots of training to support learning about products. Never run out of things to do, always busy

Terrible

Underpaid and overworked. Sloppy management and under appreciated staff. Definitely not worth it, Chemist warehouse pride themselves on low prices by underpaying staff

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chemist Warehouse. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Chemist Warehouse with

• Chemist Warehouse
  • Pharmacy Assistant
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?