City Beach Australia Employee Reviews

Store managers do lots of unpaid overtime
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Perth WA8 October 2018
The work life balance is very bad. You do super long days of 10 hours and in return you get one monthly day off that they say is paid in advertisement but really you do the 38 hours a week every week but you'll do one fortnight with lots of 10 hour days to make up for the one day off. So not worth it. No one I talked to liked it but apparently it is compulsory

Some of the higher up managers are amazing but they all want to leave because higher than them is really bad. They are very stingy and are always looking to cut back hours even if you do $5000 over your budget
Pros
Some really nice people
Cons
Long hours unpaid
starts you somewhere
casual warehouse worker (Current Employee) –  Murarrie QLD13 August 2018
a typical day for me starts off at 6am and doesn't finish until 2pm. here I learned how a warehouse works and what WHS there are in a warehouse. this was different for me since it was my first time working in a warehouse but I applied for more experience in the work force. the management team are fun to chat and joke around with but are very serious about there jobs. the hardest part about this job is walking around and standing for long hours also carry heavy loads, I don't believe there is anything enjoyable about this job, well expected for the mean parties we get invited too.
Pros
invited to parties and dicounts
Cons
long hours of standing
Productive workplace
Retail Assistant (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Perth WA6 August 2018
The staff are very friendly and make the workplace feel safe and make you feel like you are part of a great team. The hours are very good and adaptable.
Pros
Good hours
Experience and learning
Senior casual (Former Employee) –  Helensvale31 July 2018
i completed my Certificate 3 business t city beach. i was taught well and learnt b=very quickly. it was enjoyable and my employers were always helpful.
Pros
discounted clothes
Cons
unpredictable hours
Large and fast-moving environment
Christmas Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perht30 July 2018
City Beach was a greta experience and educated me in customer service and summer fashion. It was always busy and I always had something to do. The pay was average and the environment was friendly
Pros
Very Busy
Cons
Large team, didn't get to know anyone
Terrible place
CASUAL SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  City Beach WA24 July 2018
Terrible place to work, constant bullying and run very poorly. Management give no guidance at all and consistently takes longer breaks than assigned. It was found that the manger had been altering workers pay checks and stripping them of money they had earned in order for the store to save more money.
Very productive
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD11 July 2018
Working in a fast pace retail store like City Beach, gives you the opportunity to learn quicker and more efficient as well as gaining more experience in the work force.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Rude customers
Fun and positive environment to work in.
Retail Sales Assistant (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Harbour Town QLD20 June 2018
I loved my year of working with City beach as a casual sales assistant. They keep you busy but they also encourage you to communicate and socialize with your colleagues. I still have friends from working with them. I would recommend City Beach as a great introduction to retail. Alright pay. Great management.
Pros
great working environment
Fun workplace
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD28 May 2018
I worked here as a Shifty. I was with the company for 5 years. I learned so much inside this company: how to be, and how not to be as an employee. I worked for city beach under toxic management and fantastic management (sometimes at the same time).

Overall -
If you are passionate about retail city beach is a fun, energetic work environment.
Pros
The working hours go by quick when it’s nice and busy
Cons
Making up unrealistic targets
Unfriendly workplace, bad management
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD16 May 2018
The employees are very unfriendly and tend to stick in their own groups. Management is poor. When I started at City Beach I was younger than everyone there and had no help when needed, and was told to "figure it out myself" on my third day working there. I was a trainee and was meant to be getting trained on multiple jobs in the store yet only ever was put up front and never trained on registers after being there for months.
Good.
Christmas Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockhampton QLD10 May 2018
Good first job. Got to learn many things and the workplace was pretty welcoming. Taught me many things so that I could then take my skills to other jobs.
Pros
good hours.
Cons
bad pay.
Great colleagues and nice place to work, but management is horrible.
Senior Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  NSW9 May 2018
City Beach is a great first job, it teaches new employees many different aspects of retail such as Loss Prevention, Visual Merchandising and Customer service skills. The people you work with are great and fun (In my experience) and are what makes work fun.

On the other hand the treatment from management is horrible and their requests absurd. Management in this company are almost authoritarian, instead of nicely telling you to do a certain task they will threaten you with your hours, or your job if you don't do a perfect job with everything you do. You are often treated as you are and I quote "Very replaceable" and employees are not valued at this company. The amount of workplace 'scandal' and drama in this company is ludicrous. It is not very inviting to come into work.
Pros
The 20% is good, good colleagues.
Cons
You are made to go above and beyond so your managers can get bonuses, lot's of gossip, bad managers.
Not bad if your a people person
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Lakes QLD18 April 2018
Good job if your good at talking to other people
Very fast passed as people have short tempers with some staff
Other co-workers are normally nice and management is nice too
Super bad work environment
Picker and Packer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD14 April 2018
I worked picking and packing and was one of the worse experiences I’ve had in the work force. Super gossipy environment with toxic people and always angry/moody managers.
Pros
Friends you can make
Cons
Everything else
pay attention to your students
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carindale QLD2 April 2018
i worked at city beach with a certificate and i learnt nothing because they were all to busy enjoying themselves and ignoring all there students i had no clue what i was doing
You have to work your way to the top
Casual Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Perth WA20 March 2018
I’ve been working as a casual at City Beach for about a year and 6 months now and I have only just started getting a reasonable amount of hours. When just starting I would only work once a fortnight and that continued on for some time. About 5 months later I moved to a different store and got heaps of hours during Christmas, and then got barely any afterwards. After talking to my manager about my hours she has now been giving me 20 hours a fortnight and I am constantly on call. Managers come and go, and they certainly do have their favourites. You have to prove that you can do tasks better and quicker than others in order to make a good impression. Pay is very very reasonable and if you work over 7 and a half hours you get an hour break as well as a 10.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Managers have their favourites - many people get a poor amount of hours
Good while it lasted
Christmas Casual (Former Employee) –  Noosaville QLD18 March 2018
Nice hours, although quite unpredictable and received them quite late. Culture is nice and other work members were always nice and helpful. A relaxed workplace and quite enjoyable.
I was never taught anything
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Central Coast NSW14 March 2018
I got absolutely terrible hours and never anything over 3 hours. At work I was expected to know a ton of stuff that I was never taught and when I said I didn't the rest of the staff would get hella angry at me.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Everything Else
Sales
Sales (Former Employee) –  Springfield10 March 2018
Was great working there
I was only a Christmas casual
Definitely would recommend to people who like to socialise
Rush hours would of had to have been my favourite aspect
Pros
Social
Cons
Could get boring
easy to work in
Worker (Current Employee) –  Murarrie QLD6 March 2018
easy work and simple hours
i learned how to produce stock
management was nice
was fun working with others
easy to make friends
lunch breaks were enjoyable
free coffee

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City Beach Australia. Our community is ready to answer.