City Beach Australia

City Beach Australia Employee Reviews

Australia265 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Good job with nice co-workers but too much pressure on KPI's

Worked there as a Christmas Casual (October - March) when I was 15 as a first job. It didn't really help my work skills, but everyone I worked with was nice. There was probably too much teenage drama since most of the staff were under 18, but it didn't matter too much. Had to check the fitting rooms for security tags once an hour, with 5 bag checks and 5 QR code scans an hour.

This place sucks.

I’ve been working for a little over a few months. I hate it. It’s so toxic. If you liked gossip and high school, then it’s perfect for you. I don’t suggest for teens to work here and don’t get discouraged if you don’t get selected, rejoice. The pay is decent though. The pay check is pretty

Pros

Decent Pay

Cons

Poor Work Environment

Toxic environment

Work on a typical day was walking in finding out your area and getting to cleaning and serving customers. The customers were usually lovely and other team members would help if anything arose. As a casual sales assistant you never know if you'll get shifts or not even if you've been there for a while. Managers assign shifts the night before or even on the day without checking availability and then call you wondering where you are for a shift you weren't notified of. The guys I worked with were always lovely but the girls basically ran a hierarchy of who's been there longer or been trained quicker. They would just stand around chatting especially about other team members, managers partook in this as well. In general theres a segregation in the workplace of who fits in and who doesn't. The staff benefits are nice and head office give the team lots of fun opportunities especially around Christmas time and other holidays.

Very average work balance, no hours, boring.

At first i was so excited to work for City Beach since it looked looked like a very fun and fulfilling job but my first impression was definitely not the best. (Just letting you know they only really hire people based on physical looks and not really past retail experience or any other big personality-driven young people.)The managers was always changing and they always found it very hard to find one, the guys there were not bad at all but all the girls were very entitled and had huge ego's if there role was a step above yours, i was always made to feel very much less than everyone else because i was a Christmas casual.I always felt anxious walking into work because the manager always had the worst attitude and was way too young to be a manager, she was always either on her social media or talking to the coworkers that she actually liked which obvious, wasn't me.I didn't get to learn much and was put on one specific role which was just cleaning up the store and putting clothes away when all i really wanted to do was grow and learn everything else and prove that i had strong work ethic even though i asked but never got to.

Pros

Good pay, good discount, SOME ok people.

Cons

no hours, bad managers, coworkers with big egos and no customer service driven people.

Easy job but barely get any shifts as a casual

To be honest the managers were egotistical, but the co workers were really nice. They hired somuch people and then barely gave shifts to anyone since the store wasnt busy anymore.

Cons

Short shifts, barely rostered

Poor management and pay

If you ignore how last minute the rosters were given out, even getting your roster was hard. The app is barely functional and that is the only way you are notified of shifts so half the time you would get calls asking why your not in when you didn’t even know you were rostered. Pay is poor and minimum breaks- work environment is toxic, if you weren’t giving 110% your shifts were cut significantly. I worked over Christmas period and because it was quiet they barely shifted us but then went and hired more people, you were lucky to get one shift every two weeks even if you were the best casual. Got asked to stay on permanently and quickly refused also seems like they read none of their reviews…I made a similar review after they asked for feedback then was spammed with emails asking for the same form to fill out after I had already done, I was then asked if I wanted to work there again after I turned down the position. Terrible management, some alright coworkers but some were seriously rude as well.

Pros

No uniform, 20% discount

Cons

Long hours, poor pay, no breaks, bad management and last minute rosters constantly

Good place to start retail work but highly competitive with younger applicants

City Beach is great place to start at if you’re young person willing to balance work and school. My experience was not so great due to no store manager being present after being hired before the covid period and being shifted after. Eventually shifts started getting less and less due me getting older and basically only taking shifts for people who couldn’t be bothered waking up at 4-5am for a 6am shifts. Eventually started getting no shifts and due to cheaper and younger casuals and only now stay employed because of the discount.

Pros

25% casual pay

Cons

Only gives shifts to either senior staff or younger casuals. Horrible respect to older casuals, no shifts, felt like I was getting used as a backup person

Stressful, toxic management

Stressful place to work. Heavily focused on KPI's like add ons to a stressful extent. management is terrible all the way up, don't care about employees at all. HR is terrible even when complained to about management. Would not recommend working here.

Co workers are the only good thing about the job

Management are the worst, mainly in E store, the KPI’s are not reasonable. You don’t get regular shifts, usually sent home in 4 hours. just avoid this workplace

Good place to work depending on department

I have enjoyed my years at the City Beach warehouse. At first it was difficult and I have no one to blame but myself for my poor start. I thought it would be a slow paced relaxed job, to my surprise I had to put a bit of effort in. I find most people that struggle don't put the effort in to succeed. But once you get yourself to a good working standard you can start to enjoy the job with your co-workers and have a great working experience.If you go to work with the intent to have a good day and reach the kpi's I highly doubt that you will have a bad experience with management. The management are quite understanding if you give constructive and honest feed back. The hours can be quite awful during the quiet period but mid year and Christmas hours aren't to bad.

Pros

The co-workers are great and the job roles are not that difficult

Cons

lack of consistency for hours

Poor management all round

Poor management, even worse upper management. Store manager has poor people skills, created quite a toxic culture and everyone else was required to pick their slack up.

Fun people to work with !!

Lovely team to work with & very relaxed friendly environment! Always on your feet around the store & many different things to do on shift; tagging, stocking, serving customers & cleaning up the store!

Pros

Good pay!

Cons

Understaffed so tend to be overworked a bit!

Wouldn’t want to work anywhere else!

I first started as a Christmas casual and the interview was a simple group video call, we were asked a few questions and within a few days I had received the job offer. We were asked to watch some training videos and we were given some basic info like pay, breaks and dress code, which is closed in shoes for ladder climbing and any outfit that you can move in and looks respectable (no slouchy clothes). I began my first day and got shown around and given a quick run down of everything. I had a good chat with one of the other employees who was a similar age to me. When I first began working there I thought of it more as just a job and I thought that I wouldn’t enjoy working. The first few shifts felt super long despite only being a few hours, but soon time began to fly and I made friends with many other Christmas casuals. The regular workers and Christmas casuals didn’t have huge interactions at first but soon enough I made friends with some of them too. It took a while to learn all of the names as there were quite a lot of employees over the Christmas period but we all got there eventually! At the end of the Christmas period, I was then offered a position to continue working as a casual. I took up the offer quickly and soon began to get to know everyone more. I enjoy every shift and working with every other employee. Not only are there many others who are the same age as me that I have become quite close to, but there are also wonderful managers and older employees who are great role models. The workplace is one that feels super supportive and I always feel cared about.I honestly -

Pros

Caring, humorus and supportive management, friendly coworkers, good work environment, good amount of hours, receive proper pay and breaks, learning and career opportunities, good roster and schedule system as well as resource centre

Cons

Sometimes have to ask how to complete a task as it is not always explained

Fun Place to Work with lots of great people

working at City beach was great and i throughly enjoyed it. the team members were great to work with the the management was really understanding. the pay is pretty good. and you get good breaks. however i didn't always get shifts but it could of just been because i was a causal worker.

Pros

good pay and breaks

Cons

Not a lot of Shifts

pretty decnt

We’re an ASX200 global mining services group of companies with interests in surface mining, underground mining and mining support services. They were good to me.

Was alright

Look not the worst but not the best place, casuals only get shifts around Xmas season and very hard for full timers to take time off around any holidays

Sales Associate P.O.V

I really enjoy working here, from punching/clocking in to leaving, it's pretty good. I recommended arriving 5 minutes before your shift, as things can happen and those things can cost your hours being deducted. Other than that, breaks are pretty good. Look having genuine conversations with customers, and I really enjoy the working environment. Only thing I really dislike about working here would be recovery. God, and back ladies is a nightmare.

fun workplace

nice place to work, didn't have to much demand and even better when you get used to all the operations within the store. there not really a lot of training but once you get the hang of everything you'll be fine

Fun workplace , fast paced

Pros - No uniform , great staff members, Fun workplace, management is OkCons- Can get boring on quiet days, inconsistency with rostered shifts,

bad workplace, inconsistent shifts, and unkind staff.

One thing i remember about this job is that the manager would constantly ask me after my shift if i was available to work the next day. Their rosters were highly inconsistent. I would always ask what times the shift was and i remember one time being told by the manager that he would call me on the morning of the shift to tell me what times it is. Obviously, without a set time, i wasn't going to agree to work and his response was 'that's the only way to get shifts.' i was appalled by that and it put me off city beach more than i already was. The staff members are rarely nice to you and i caught them talking about me behind my back.NEVER work here.

Cons

horrible team, bad hours, inconsistent shifts.

Good job, just really poor management

I started in November last year, besides the few and far between shifts it was fine, great cardio and good practice for social skills, but as time passed I got less and less shifts, maybe a couple a month, and then I was getting maybe one, but not even during the hours I was available, I informed them of my availability and I had thought they sorted it, until the last shift I ever got was 9-12 on a school day. The work itself is fine and probably the best workplace I’ve ever been apart of, but the employee management was appalling. If you’re interested in city beach as an actual income stream forget about it, unless you’re available 24/7 you’re not gonna make nearly as much as some of your friends that work at maccas or kfc

Pros

No uniforms

Cons

Bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City Beach Australia. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare City Beach Australia with