City Beach Australia Employee Reviews

Worst Place
Estore Casual (Former Employee) –  Murarrie QLD12 March 2019
This company's warehouse has the worst employment conditions. If I knew about these beforehand, I wouldn't have wasted my time seeking employment.

A typical day at work varies in peak or low sale time. During peak sale time you are expected to work 10 hours everyday of the week. God forbid you want any Christmas holidays off or decide you don't want to work your 17th day in a row as the manager will lash out at you with attitude and fowl language.

Low sales time means driving 40+ minutes to work to only be sent home a few hours later without warning OR for the lucky ones, not being rostered on for weeks on end. This is understandable as casuals are subject to inconsistent hours however, these decisions are based on manager favourites and "job performance."

"Job performance" is based on productivity and consistency. Both of which are pressured on staff in impossible ways. To reach a decent productivity it is encouraged you don't talk to anyone, practically RUN and make no mistakes. However, if you do make a mistake, you not only ruin your productivity but your reputation with the manager. In a job that is mundane, repetitive and predominantly completed off of RF guns, mistakes are inevitable. Making a mistake is a spine chilling experience as the manager will often come bounding from her office to scream at you, often in front of everyone. Even if this is your only mistakes in weeks you will be sent home early, have your shifts cut or be rostered off for weeks. If you ever ask a question on how to do something (as you often receive little-no training), it will be
  more... explained to you in a condescending manner, as if you are a child.

My favourite part about the job was the heat. The warehouse is practically a large metal box. I loved coming to work everyday in summer to sweat out twice my body percentage of water due to lack of ventilation, no fans and 40 degree humidity. Every now and again someone would faint, which was quite thrilling.

The company often encourages workplace cultures of opportunity and fun. However, it is usually based on everyone sharing the mutual agreement of how horrible their day is.
Pros
Hot guys in dispatch
Cons
Everything above
Was a great a fun place to work at
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD27 February 2019
Best place I’ve worked at, city beach was my first job and while being there I felt so welcomed and enjoyed working with my co workers, always had a great time working
Pros
Get to wear what you want
Slow and boring job with poor management
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Murarrie QLD25 February 2019
The job is very simple; you are measured by a KPI called a productivity percentage. Having an eight hour shift, the work gets very tedious and boring after a couple shifts. This is made even worse by management who constantly bully, harass, intimidate and belittle workers through their constant micromanagement, over-explaining and pedantic expectations which dull employee morale and create a climate of hysteria and fear. Arguably, these 'managers' have not learnt an ounce of management and its functions which is apparent in a group setting and from your first interaction with them. The only part of this job which was refreshing was your co-workers which were friendly, helpful and understanding. I would only recommend this job if you are starting out in the workplace and need some cash whilst pursuing studies, a trade or something else. Please reconsider applying if you are looking for something sustainable and/or long-term - for the sake of your mental health.
Pros
Co-workers are friendly and sociable
Cons
Managers are rude, underqualified and feral
Management is by far the worst thing about working here.
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Murarrie QLD25 February 2019
Work is boring and repetitive, that in itself is expected. The temperature inside the warehouse is hot (again expected), but there is hardly any airflow/fans/air conditioning and the fans that are there are pointed at 5 out of 50 staff. I was there for around 4 months and during that time I saw 3 people overheat and pass out.

I worked in the e-store department and can say the manager was the worst part about working here. She was nothing but rude, foul mouthed, and always on a war path. When she would come storming out of her “office” you could see everyone flinch and pray she wasn’t charging towards them.

Asking for any time off regardless of the amount of notice is “not on”. Casuals are made to bring in medical certificates for sick days (even though they’re not required to) or their shifts will be cut.

Majority of the other full time staff were fine and didn’t have any problems with, but even they are all scared of the manager, so no one would take a stand against her regardless.

Pay was average, got over time but it wasn’t optional.

There’s no doubt in my mind the manager and bad working conditions are the reason there is such a high employee turn over in this place. I wouldn’t never go back.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
E store manager sucks
its ok
E-store Pick & Pack Member (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD16 February 2019
Good workplace if a uni/ TAFE student, definitely not a full time/ long term position.
There is nothing hard about the job itself, a typical day at work is generally pretty relaxed, not too busy or chaotic unless it's Christmas time.
Pros
discounts
Cons
cut shifts
Good hours, bad pay, even worse managers
Warehouse work (Current Employee) –  Murarrie QLD13 February 2019
There are long hours, usually 8 hour shifts so I work more in a day than I do in 2 or 3 days in retail, but during slow seasons you can be sent home early with little warning. The pay is only average.
The work itself is easy but boring and repetitive. The worst part by far is the managers. They treat casual staff like children who can't think on their own and I have been blamed by my manager by things that my manager herself got wrong and there is never a time where you are spoken to with any respect. They move around the warehouse stomping and barking out critiques and all you can do is pray your not the one they're angry at.
This causes great anxiety every time you make a mistake and means you never tell the managers that something is wrong and the problem grows. Many mistakes are caused by a flawed system, mixed with lagging RF scanners, and your own human error but they are treated as if you just murdered someone and result in you often being yelled at in front of the group.
Worth it for the very busy and long Christmas Hours where you can work up to 70 hours a week.
Pros
Many Hours
Cons
Horrible Manager
terrible, I didn’t enjoy or feel like a valued staff member.
Christmas Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Darwin NT9 February 2019
I recently worked at city beach as a Christmas causal and was not valued at all, also I was spoken down on. I worked there for a little under two months and without any notice I was off the roster for the past three weeks assuming I was no longer needed but when I asked I was told I’ll be sent an email in regards to this but I never did/have. So to not be employed any more with zero notice or conversation about being not needed I find very slack and rude on their behalf. I believe I did not fit in with the other employees as I was just a CC and they didn’t care to get to know me and pretty much ignore me all together. I was also shown little to barely any guidance in what to do during my shifts so I had to wing it all (my first retail job) I found that difficult.
Always busy
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD8 February 2019
A typical day at work involves a lot of recovery of the store and a high level of customer service is required. my customer service skills have heightened since being with the company. The management and culture are great.
very spacious environment
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD5 February 2019
i was underpayed a few times but overall, it was a good experience to have and i learnt new things. the hardest part of the job would have to be dealing with unsatisfied customers but i would handle responsibly.
Team Members are awesome
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Morayfield QLD2 February 2019
Every single person who works there is super cool. They are always up for a chat. The management team are super lovely and always sorted out an issue as soon as it arised
productive and fun workplace
Christmas Casual (Former Employee) –  Loganholme QLD2 February 2019
I always loved coming into work and giving customer service and learning how to deal with situations quickly and working in a team. The most enjoyable part of the job was in fitting room.
It is hard work but a safe environment
Casual (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD28 January 2019
Working at city beach is tiring and it gets a little hot but I don't mind it too much. I live far away so the distance annoys me to get into work on time. Other than that it is a average job.
Pros
1 paid lunch break
Cons
Long Hours
Easy work, not a nice place.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Murarrie QLD20 January 2019
The coworkers were a nice part of the job however I am still in utter shock how awful the management were in particular the current manager of E-Store who was incredibly rude everyday. Never seen her in a happy mood and haven’t had a conversation with her without her being awful and horrible to me.This needs to be dealt with. Along with the poor working conditions- working inside a tin roofed warehouse needs fans... Not two fans far away from the workers. Had people pass out and vomit.

The Hours were good and the pay was average.
Pros
Supplied vending machines and every now and then have a food van up.
Cons
Horrible manager on Estore. Poor working conditions in heat.
Not what you expect
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Murarrie15 January 2019
-Working in poor conditions, minimal fans, no aircon and rarely any air ventilation (to the point where some get heatstroke, vomit and faint
-Management is very bias
-There is a 'No bulling' policy however it is rarely followed
-Managers and Supervisors think they can treat you however they want and like to pick and choose their favourites
-Overall not a nice environment to work in
- Breaks (8hour shift, 1x20min and 1x30min)(10+hours shift 1x 10min, 1x20min and 1x30min)
Pros
Small discount, good breaks, flexible
Cons
Conditions, treatment in workplace
No training and messy store
seasonal casual (Former Employee) –  Penrith NSW14 January 2019
Worked as a Christmas casual. Was super excited as it was my first job and I was super enthusiastic going in. Basically the only training I received was how to greet customers at the door. That's it. Was basically left clueless and sent into the store to "help customers" with no training on how to do anything, no routine on how to open the back door, rosters, store policies, how to get down bags and shoes, how to recover properly etc. Everything I learnt I either taught myself or was taught by another team member. Was scheduled on multiple 5am starts without being told on how to do staff parking etc. Other christmas casuals had the same complaints, most of the time there were heaps of us on the floor at the same time, all clueless and feeling very unhelpful and annoying. Permanent team members seemed annoyed by us being there (understandable though). Most of the time there would be a long line of customers out the door with only 1/2 out of the 3 tills being used, with no xmas casuals register trained to help avoid this. training was also inconsistent across team members - with some members being taught virtually nothing (like myself - was only given a 5 minute talk on how to greet customers and check bags), whereas some members had been taught some other small skills such as shoes, opening cabinets, how to get down bags etc.
Store was also extremely messy, most of the time team members couldn't get into the back room because it was so messy. Changerooms were occupied with rubbish instead of being used. Clothes not organised at all.
There would be boxes of stock scattered
  more... all around the store.
Management was also poor with no information on contact details if any issues arose.
Really disappointed with how this experience turned out.
Pay was really good for a first job, and other christmas casuals were super friendly and nice.
Pros
Good pay, nice other christmas casuals
Cons
no training, messy store, poor management, often asked to work overtime with no notice, shifts irregular
Fun work place
City Beach (Former Employee) –  Mandurah WA7 January 2019
Enjoyed working there, good hours and good salary to for the age that i worked there. however, management were pretty rude to the Christmas casuals, like they just didn't make us feel apart of the team
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Bad Manager
simple and straight forward
Warehouse picker (Former Employee) –  Murarrie QLD1 November 2018
working in the city beach warehouse was an easy going straight forward job and as long as you remained productive and reached set targets you could work at your own pace. the hours were pretty good so on a regular day I had all afternoon to do as I pleased.
Pros
free tea and coffee with set time breaks
Cons
found it a tad boring
Store managers do lots of unpaid overtime
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Perth WA8 October 2018
The work life balance is very bad. You do super long days of 10 hours and in return you get one monthly day off that they say is paid in advertisement but really you do the 38 hours a week every week but you'll do one fortnight with lots of 10 hour days to make up for the one day off. So not worth it. No one I talked to liked it but apparently it is compulsory

Some of the higher up managers are amazing but they all want to leave because higher than them is really bad. They are very stingy and are always looking to cut back hours even if you do $5000 over your budget
Pros
Some really nice people
Cons
Long hours unpaid
starts you somewhere
casual warehouse worker (Current Employee) –  Murarrie QLD13 August 2018
a typical day for me starts off at 6am and doesn't finish until 2pm. here I learned how a warehouse works and what WHS there are in a warehouse. this was different for me since it was my first time working in a warehouse but I applied for more experience in the work force. the management team are fun to chat and joke around with but are very serious about there jobs. the hardest part about this job is walking around and standing for long hours also carry heavy loads, I don't believe there is anything enjoyable about this job, well expected for the mean parties we get invited too.
Pros
invited to parties and dicounts
Cons
long hours of standing
Productive workplace
Retail Assistant (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Perth WA6 August 2018
The staff are very friendly and make the workplace feel safe and make you feel like you are part of a great team. The hours are very good and adaptable.
Pros
Good hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City Beach Australia. Our community is ready to answer.