City Beach Australia Employee Reviews

Easy work, not a nice place.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Murarrie QLD20 January 2019
The coworkers were a nice part of the job however I am still in utter shock how awful the management were in particular the current manager of E-Store who was incredibly rude everyday. Never seen her in a happy mood and haven’t had a conversation with her without her being awful and horrible to me.This needs to be dealt with. Along with the poor working conditions- working inside a tin roofed warehouse needs fans... Not two fans far away from the workers. Had people pass out and vomit.

The Hours were good and the pay was average.
Pros
Supplied vending machines and every now and then have a food van up.
Cons
Horrible manager on Estore. Poor working conditions in heat.
Not what you expect
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Murarrie15 January 2019
-Working in poor conditions, minimal fans, no aircon and rarely any air ventilation (to the point where some get heatstroke, vomit and faint
-Management is very bias
-There is a 'No bulling' policy however it is rarely followed
-Managers and Supervisors think they can treat you however they want and like to pick and choose their favourites
-Overall not a nice environment to work in
- Breaks (8hour shift, 1x20min and 1x30min)(10+hours shift 1x 10min, 1x20min and 1x30min)
Pros
Small discount, good breaks, flexible
Cons
Conditions, treatment in workplace
No training and messy store
seasonal casual (Former Employee) –  Penrith NSW14 January 2019
Worked as a Christmas casual. Was super excited as it was my first job and I was super enthusiastic going in. Basically the only training I received was how to greet customers at the door. That's it. Was basically left clueless and sent into the store to "help customers" with no training on how to do anything, no routine on how to open the back door, rosters, store policies, how to get down bags and shoes, how to recover properly etc. Everything I learnt I either taught myself or was taught by another team member. Was scheduled on multiple 5am starts without being told on how to do staff parking etc. Other christmas casuals had the same complaints, most of the time there were heaps of us on the floor at the same time, all clueless and feeling very unhelpful and annoying. Permanent team members seemed annoyed by us being there (understandable though). Most of the time there would be a long line of customers out the door with only 1/2 out of the 3 tills being used, with no xmas casuals register trained to help avoid this. training was also inconsistent across team members - with some members being taught virtually nothing (like myself - was only given a 5 minute talk on how to greet customers and check bags), whereas some members had been taught some other small skills such as shoes, opening cabinets, how to get down bags etc.
Store was also extremely messy, most of the time team members couldn't get into the back room because it was so messy. Changerooms were occupied with rubbish instead of being used. Clothes not organised at all.
There would be boxes of stock scattered
  more... all around the store.
Management was also poor with no information on contact details if any issues arose.
Really disappointed with how this experience turned out.
Pay was really good for a first job, and other christmas casuals were super friendly and nice.
Pros
Good pay, nice other christmas casuals
Cons
no training, messy store, poor management, often asked to work overtime with no notice, shifts irregular
simple and straight forward
Warehouse picker (Former Employee) –  Murarrie QLD1 November 2018
working in the city beach warehouse was an easy going straight forward job and as long as you remained productive and reached set targets you could work at your own pace. the hours were pretty good so on a regular day I had all afternoon to do as I pleased.
Pros
free tea and coffee with set time breaks
Cons
found it a tad boring
Store managers do lots of unpaid overtime
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Perth WA8 October 2018
The work life balance is very bad. You do super long days of 10 hours and in return you get one monthly day off that they say is paid in advertisement but really you do the 38 hours a week every week but you'll do one fortnight with lots of 10 hour days to make up for the one day off. So not worth it. No one I talked to liked it but apparently it is compulsory

Some of the higher up managers are amazing but they all want to leave because higher than them is really bad. They are very stingy and are always looking to cut back hours even if you do $5000 over your budget
Pros
Some really nice people
Cons
Long hours unpaid
starts you somewhere
casual warehouse worker (Current Employee) –  Murarrie QLD13 August 2018
a typical day for me starts off at 6am and doesn't finish until 2pm. here I learned how a warehouse works and what WHS there are in a warehouse. this was different for me since it was my first time working in a warehouse but I applied for more experience in the work force. the management team are fun to chat and joke around with but are very serious about there jobs. the hardest part about this job is walking around and standing for long hours also carry heavy loads, I don't believe there is anything enjoyable about this job, well expected for the mean parties we get invited too.
Pros
invited to parties and dicounts
Cons
long hours of standing
Productive workplace
Retail Assistant (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Perth WA6 August 2018
The staff are very friendly and make the workplace feel safe and make you feel like you are part of a great team. The hours are very good and adaptable.
Pros
Good hours
Experience and learning
Senior casual (Former Employee) –  Helensvale31 July 2018
i completed my Certificate 3 business t city beach. i was taught well and learnt b=very quickly. it was enjoyable and my employers were always helpful.
Pros
discounted clothes
Cons
unpredictable hours
Large and fast-moving environment
Christmas Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perht30 July 2018
City Beach was a greta experience and educated me in customer service and summer fashion. It was always busy and I always had something to do. The pay was average and the environment was friendly
Pros
Very Busy
Cons
Large team, didn't get to know anyone
Terrible place
CASUAL SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  City Beach WA24 July 2018
Terrible place to work, constant bullying and run very poorly. Management give no guidance at all and consistently takes longer breaks than assigned. It was found that the manger had been altering workers pay checks and stripping them of money they had earned in order for the store to save more money.
Very productive
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD11 July 2018
Working in a fast pace retail store like City Beach, gives you the opportunity to learn quicker and more efficient as well as gaining more experience in the work force.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Rude customers
Fun and positive environment to work in.
Retail Sales Assistant (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Harbour Town QLD20 June 2018
I loved my year of working with City beach as a casual sales assistant. They keep you busy but they also encourage you to communicate and socialize with your colleagues. I still have friends from working with them. I would recommend City Beach as a great introduction to retail. Alright pay. Great management.
Pros
great working environment
Fun workplace
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD28 May 2018
I worked here as a Shifty. I was with the company for 5 years. I learned so much inside this company: how to be, and how not to be as an employee. I worked for city beach under toxic management and fantastic management (sometimes at the same time).

Overall -
If you are passionate about retail city beach is a fun, energetic work environment.
Pros
The working hours go by quick when it’s nice and busy
Cons
Making up unrealistic targets
Unfriendly workplace, bad management
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD16 May 2018
The employees are very unfriendly and tend to stick in their own groups. Management is poor. When I started at City Beach I was younger than everyone there and had no help when needed, and was told to "figure it out myself" on my third day working there. I was a trainee and was meant to be getting trained on multiple jobs in the store yet only ever was put up front and never trained on registers after being there for months.
Good.
Christmas Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockhampton QLD10 May 2018
Good first job. Got to learn many things and the workplace was pretty welcoming. Taught me many things so that I could then take my skills to other jobs.
Pros
good hours.
Cons
bad pay.
Great colleagues and nice place to work, but management is horrible.
Senior Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  NSW9 May 2018
City Beach is a great first job, it teaches new employees many different aspects of retail such as Loss Prevention, Visual Merchandising and Customer service skills. The people you work with are great and fun (In my experience) and are what makes work fun.

On the other hand the treatment from management is horrible and their requests absurd. Management in this company are almost authoritarian, instead of nicely telling you to do a certain task they will threaten you with your hours, or your job if you don't do a perfect job with everything you do. You are often treated as you are and I quote "Very replaceable" and employees are not valued at this company. The amount of workplace 'scandal' and drama in this company is ludicrous. It is not very inviting to come into work.
Pros
The 20% is good, good colleagues.
Cons
You are made to go above and beyond so your managers can get bonuses, lot's of gossip, bad managers.
Not bad if your a people person
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Lakes QLD18 April 2018
Good job if your good at talking to other people
Very fast passed as people have short tempers with some staff
Other co-workers are normally nice and management is nice too
Super bad work environment
Picker and Packer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD14 April 2018
I worked picking and packing and was one of the worse experiences I’ve had in the work force. Super gossipy environment with toxic people and always angry/moody managers.
Pros
Friends you can make
Cons
Everything else
pay attention to your students
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carindale QLD2 April 2018
i worked at city beach with a certificate and i learnt nothing because they were all to busy enjoying themselves and ignoring all there students i had no clue what i was doing
You have to work your way to the top
Casual Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Perth WA20 March 2018
I’ve been working as a casual at City Beach for about a year and 6 months now and I have only just started getting a reasonable amount of hours. When just starting I would only work once a fortnight and that continued on for some time. About 5 months later I moved to a different store and got heaps of hours during Christmas, and then got barely any afterwards. After talking to my manager about my hours she has now been giving me 20 hours a fortnight and I am constantly on call. Managers come and go, and they certainly do have their favourites. You have to prove that you can do tasks better and quicker than others in order to make a good impression. Pay is very very reasonable and if you work over 7 and a half hours you get an hour break as well as a 10.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Managers have their favourites - many people get a poor amount of hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City Beach Australia. Our community is ready to answer.