City Beach Australia
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

City Beach Australia Employee Reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Great people and great company

I really love working here, I would have to say it is one of my favourite jobs. Everyone is really welcoming and enthusiastic which makes the job even better.

Pros

positive environment, understanding managment, easy going work place

Cons

inconsistent shifts

managment.

Minimum training taught over four years only leaned the what they thought were necessary never taught registers or system. Management had a content change in the store

Pros

Hr

Cons

Poor managment

Usually stressful and disorganised. But I consider them my family.

Work is stressful for those looking to provide quality customer service and team work. Laziness is not discouraged and individuals seem to work either too hard or too little. Christmas casuals tend to be temporary and a waste of resources during the busy holidays. Hiring standards needs to be better.Often those that are putting in the most work behind the scenes are not recognised or appreciated, while many others are.Management is usually too young, and capable managers are not well supported by higher-ups.The hardest part is not going home stressed, frustrated, and exhausted.The most enjoyable part is the relaxed and genuine friendships that form between coworkers.Though, this job has taught me patience, and forced me to learn to work in a stressful and sometimes extremely dysfunctional environment.**Management makes a massive difference. When an unpleasant individual is overseeing the bigger picture, it effects everyone on every level of work. So, the job fluctuates, but in general the experience has been character building, probably not for the right reasons.It also depends on which store you are in. Different teams create different dynamics, and sometimes you might just get unlucky, or lucky. Such is life.

Cons

Early mornings

Great people, fun place to work

Fun great place to work, good people excellent owners great perks, including overseas trips. 😀 recommend place to work for sure. I had a great time there.

Pros

Overseas trips

Cons

Weekend work

Bad workplace

So the idea of working at city beach seems all fine and dandy but the regional management is really really terrible. We had two really great store managers who left because of how terrible the company was and the hired two more with no experience, they’re both amazing people but half of the senior casuals ended up having to train them properly because they didn’t do it right elsewhere.The store is always a mess because of being over stocked.our store would be full and we would still get weekly stock even though we didn’t have a back room, this is something we would always get customer complaints about too. We also weren’t allowed to eat in the staff room or even keep food in there with our lockers because it was classified an office which I understand but still like wtf. We did anyway though because we’re human.They would also put casuals who had no idea what they were doing on to run the day.Plus getting paid minimum wage fortnightly is the absolute WORST, especially since we either got over worked and got 2 days off for the entire fortnight or we would get 1 shift the entire fortnight, no inbetween. Completely unfair for people who have rent to pay and for people at school and uni

Pros

Friendly coworkers

Cons

No back room, overstocked, TERRIBLE regional management, dont listen to employee requests, overwork people or give 0 shifts

absolutely love it, but mangers have obvious favourites

Ive worked at city beach for just over 2 months now, and I love it! Its a great atmosphere and is little drama in the staff, which is really good, everyone gets along really well. Only thing I will say is that the managers do have clear favs, not to brag, but me being one of them hehe :) but they will call in the same people every time and give the same casuals the good hours (all day sunday shifts etc.) My advice is to make a good impression on your first few shifts and to get good banter with the managers so they like you lol, then you'll be more likely to get called in or given more hours as they know you can, 1) do your job well and 2) be fun and enjoyable to work with! Overall a great place to work but it definetely varies amongst different locations.

Pros

great atmosphere and pay

Cons

managers play favourites lol

Not a bad place to work

I like my job but there are not enough hours there for me to live on. It’s time to move on and fine a job with more then 12-16 hours a week.I need hours

Pros

Free tea and coffee

Cons

No hours

It's a Typical Warehouse Job

Having worked in the E-Store Department for over a year now I can say it's a decent job as long as you are willing to put the effort in and listen to your Controllers and Supervisors. I worked in other warehouses before this and they are all pretty much the same. Warehouses are always hot in summer (Duh! We are in QLD), shifts are performance based (all businesses are here to make money so they aren't going to continue to employ deadbeats), Pay is the award rate (no more, no less), if a 15 year old can do the job just as well as a 19 year old and is cheaper to employ they will get more shifts (it's all about the budget), people who whinge and complain all the time will get less shifts because they affect the overall vibe of the place. Management are only a problem when employees are a problem. If you do your job and meet productivity and don't cause any dramas (like constantly talking, mistakes, gossiping, wasting time) you won't have any issues. The job is repetitive 99% of the time so if you have trouble focusing and get bored easily this won't be the sort of job for you. It's easy to make friends here as most people are pretty social, but most of them will be fake work friends so don't expect life long connections.

Pros

As long as you meet productivity and don't make mistakes management will leave you alone

Cons

You are expected to work for your pay

Toxic environment

The management is very poor, the hours can vary from borderline over-worked to 3 hours every two weeks. Super inconsistent and you will not advance at all if one of the managers do not like you.

Pros

nothing

Cons

everything lol

Relaxing Atmosphere, Good Team Collaboration

City Beach has an incredibly relaxing atmosphere. Team collaboration is important and is very much treated that way by the staff members. The pay is great, and staff are understanding if you are new.I notice a lot of comments about a a toxic, clique-like atmosphere among the staff, and I can say with absolute certainty that this is not the case, at least at my location.

Pros

Relaxing Atmosphere, 20% Discount

workplace okay

workers were rude, didn't get trained properly, pay is unfair, got loads of shifts but stopped getting shifts as soon as I turned 17. wasn't enjoyable

Pros

was the discounts but didnt even get the discount card at all

Cons

was not enjoyable

Culture appropriated

Love store, still employed there but hours do get a bit low. Retail isn’t for you if you think you just get to talk to customers all day... it’s a lot more complex than just customers. Extremely fast pace, can you keep up?

Pros

Hours

Cons

Hours

Fun work place great team amazing benefits great learning environment

It was awesome to work in such a supportive fun team. Easy work load great culture super friendly & great work load amazing roster and hours are given

Pros

Discounts

Disappointing experience

I worked at City Beach for about a year and a half / two years.Pros:- The job itself is very easy. No pressure to reach sales targets and KPI's like other retail companies, because the budget was easily reached on its own.- You could wear anything you wanted. I often wore leggings, shorts, distressed denim and crop tops. - You're also able to express yourself however you like, tattoos, piercings, crazy hair colours - its all very laid back. Cons:- Understaffed during peak times- Management/Full Time staff would get impatient if big tasks weren't completed by the end of your shift (my shifts were only 3hrs), but did nothing to contribute or help.- Young team, which became a 'high school' like environment. Too many cliques and a lot of exclusion. - Everyone gets told about the Christmas Party theme and date, but managers choose who's invited (not everyone gets invited, which feels awful because everyone receives the same exciting email). - Junior casuals (age 15 - 18) get the most hours, and everyone 19 or over (like myself) barely worked.

Pros

Easy job, laid back clothing requirements

Cons

Understaffed, unrealistic expectations, high-school work environment, exclusion from team Christmas Party :(

Everyone was high

when i went to work, they put me on with no experience.I had to stand at the front of the store (as a 13 year old) i had no clue what to do.very bad

Pros

Got a discount

Cons

never go to use the discount

it is terrible

The managers would yell at me every single shift, even in front of customers.The place was very unorganised and no one was really trained properly.Not a great place to work at all

Pros

- 10 min breaks

Cons

- bad management, - unorganised, - everyone is rude, - i cry after every shift, - dont care about mental or physical health whatsoever

not being paid

I have not been paid over $300. This includes being paid at a much lower rate than I should be and just not getting paid at all. Supposedly my management team sorted it out but its been weeks and I still haven't been paid.

Pros

discount

Cons

Did not get paid

Productive workplace, however slightly unsupportive coworkers

I did enjoy working at city beach for the short amount of time I worked there (3 months). However, I did not have the time to develop many relationships with my coworkers- some of the managers did create a stressful environment for 14yo me! But the individuals I did connect with were amazing and extremely kind. I also had the opportunity to work at City Beach Distribution Center, where I was in the office doing work on the computers for the website. I think it was a great experience and encourage you all to apply :)

Pros

discounts! and short hours.

Fun, productive, variety of work ethics

City Beach is a workplace, susceptible for people interest for casual work or interest in retail business, working you will enage with friendly employees that work hard and get the job done in time

Pros

Friendly workers and variety of lunch breaks dependi n g on hours worked

Cons

Unorthodox busy days, thus meaning speed pace of work will vary

Not worth it

I worked for the Ipswich store, the management team are young and immature. The casuals are all high schoolers and definitely act like such, complain about each other to everyone and will throw each other under the bus. The manager was OCD crazy if you put a pen back into the drawer wrong you got written up. She would also just stand around watching staff instead of doing anything. You couldn't spend too long with a customer who needed help. But also had to spend time with every single customer whilst also maintaining the store and doing your job. I was always up the front of the store as that was my allocated area however the management team in the back would always blame things on me that involved the back of the store to try and cover their own backs. Also, you only have one person up the front of the store, whilst there are at least 4 team members in the back of the store gossiping and chatting, including the management team, however, if I spoke to someone longer than a min I would get in trouble. Was expected to know everything in a month but wasn't trained properly. I've worked for other companies where I have never had issues with time frames given, however with City beach you are expected to have everything done in half a day. Also felt excluded from the team, never got to know anyone as I was only ever up the front of the store

Pros

Cons

long hours; horrible staff members

Don’t work at citybeach

Don’t work here. I was paid $13 a hour and got no bonuses on weekends like most other casuals do. Management was poor and run by immature females who would come to work in tiny shorts and tops without a bra, it was highly unprofessional but we weren’t allowed to say anything.

Pros

The workers were the only thing that I liked

Cons

Poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City Beach Australia. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• City Beach Australia
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?