City Beach Australia Employee Reviews

Do not work for city beach distribution centre, murarrie
Distribution Centre (Former Employee) –  Murarrie QLD21 May 2019
Please for your own mental health DO NOT work for this company!
You will be mistreated, belittled and made to feel like you are as useless as anything.
These are just some things to expect if you apply for this job.
-If you do not pick/Pack fast enough your shifts will be cut.
-Every time you turn a year (have a birthday) your shifts will get cut.
-Be seen saying hello to someone your shifts will be cut.
-Having a bad day? BAM shifts cut
-Bend down to tie your shoe lace best to be prepared to be questioned about it and why your not working.

You would think to be a supervisor of a department In this company you would need to have some skills right? maybe people skills, communication skills? but not with this company too be a supervisor for the e-store department all you have too do is be rude, walk around the warehouse like someone has just murdered someone and speak to every single human being like they are 12 years old and stupid, even if you are older or higher in management then this person.

You are monitored throughout the day by your productivity, need to go to the toilet? be prepared that this will ruin your "idle time" even if you are fixing a mistake that you made you will be questioned why you weren't to working for this period of time.
By all means if you see the conveyor that is operating throughout the warehouse and It happens to be stuck. KEEP WALKING and do not help others out or you will still be questioned why your productivity is poorly.

I have worked for this company for 3 years from starting off casual to becoming Full Time and even
  more... that isn't enough for the supervisor to treat you with some respect.

I have been to HR multiple times about the harassment that is caused throughout this warehouse by the e-store supervisor but still after 3 year NOTHING has been done, things need to start changing or e-store will loose all there staff.

Question is why should we treat our supervisors with respect if it isn't given back to there team members after all we are the ones that are actually busting our bottoms off all day so orders can be dispatched from this warehouse.

City Beach has the worst turn over of staff no wonder why you cannot build yourself a reliable "team"

So too save yourself all this unneeded stress in our young lives. DO NOT work for this company save yourself from the heartache.

Sincerely someone who wished they never worked here...
Pros
Make Amazing Friends
Cons
estore supervisor!
its ok but not worth it
team member (Former Employee) –  Murarrie QLD19 May 2019
The job is ok and so is the other workers, they can be fun. But the problem is the supervisors, and thay are all young girls and not mature enough for the job in my opinion. It is pretty common for them to abuse or be rude to you if you are talking and whatever, but thay do it also. Actually thay are usually worse but the supervisors like to treat everyone like criminals sometimes. That makes it hard to accept the workplace when that happens.
The work is easy enough i'd say, its not that hard, but thay focus on productivity only and not on what the supervisors are doing. Usually thay are sitting in their office just chatting, sometimes for hours. Thay make no secret about it because management wont do anything about them anyways. No wonder the company is losing money if it is, the owners need to look at who is supervising and the skills and experience thay (dont) have!
So its ok to work there for a short time but not for a career i'd say.
Pros
Thay do a sausage sizzle once a year and sometimes you can even get 2 sausgaes and not only 1
Cons
Gets treated like a child even the older people whove been there ages
Boring job
Crew Member (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD8 May 2019
This job was boring. As a new member of the team, I found that the crew wasn't very friendly as their friendship group was already tight. They didn't bother to acknowledge me unless it was to give me a work instruction.
Cons
Boring, rude staff members
Good Pay, Terrible Management
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Murarrie QLD2 May 2019
By far the worst management in almost all of its departments. They're immature and rude, they stand around and talk but then get angry at you when you do the same. The Team Leaders and Supervisors pick and choose their favourites and will give them more benefits such as easier jobs, better break times than their co-workers. They are almost never in a good mood. They give their favourites more hours when the slow period comes and everyone else won't get rostered on. They will talk about their employees behind their backs. They will bully and belittle and intimidate you so that you're scared of them. They're such hypocrites.

The productivity expectation is ridiculous. You would have to be running and making zero mistakes which is impossible with the lagging RF scanners they have, in the pickface the space is tiny, if you're not careful the trolleys clip your ankles.

The only good things would be that the pay is decent if you're getting good hours, your co-workers are almost always lovely and the vending machines they provide aren't terrible.
Pros
Co-workers, pay, food they provide
Do not work here
Splits (Former Employee) –  Murarrie QLD18 April 2019
I stayed here for over a year, and was the worst decision of my life. If you are stupid enough to start here, Just remember that they really do cut your shifts after you turn 19, especially in the splits department. I always thought that was a rumour and never worried about it. The joke was on me, the week I turned 19 I went from having 4 shift a week to being luck to maintain 1. Management was horrible.

The only good thing that came from this place was the new vending machine and the prime smoking area. Also a lot of the casuals that work there are good, they hate their job as much as anyone else, so if you get a job there, you are bound to make friends.
Pros
Smokers
Cons
Everything else
Pretty Good workplace
Christmas Casual Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth WA5 April 2019
City Beach is a pretty good workplace. the atmosphere is usually good unless regional managers are in. the people that work there are usually chill and kind. the work is decent - not too hard and not too easy making shifts there go by fast as there is always something to do.
Worst Place
Estore Casual (Former Employee) –  Murarrie QLD12 March 2019
This company's warehouse has the worst employment conditions. If I knew about these beforehand, I wouldn't have wasted my time seeking employment.

A typical day at work varies in peak or low sale time. During peak sale time you are expected to work 10 hours everyday of the week. God forbid you want any Christmas holidays off or decide you don't want to work your 17th day in a row as the manager will lash out at you with attitude and fowl language.

Low sales time means driving 40+ minutes to work to only be sent home a few hours later without warning OR for the lucky ones, not being rostered on for weeks on end. This is understandable as casuals are subject to inconsistent hours however, these decisions are based on manager favourites and "job performance."

"Job performance" is based on productivity and consistency. Both of which are pressured on staff in impossible ways. To reach a decent productivity it is encouraged you don't talk to anyone, practically RUN and make no mistakes. However, if you do make a mistake, you not only ruin your productivity but your reputation with the manager. In a job that is mundane, repetitive and predominantly completed off of RF guns, mistakes are inevitable. Making a mistake is a spine chilling experience as the manager will often come bounding from her office to scream at you, often in front of everyone. Even if this is your only mistakes in weeks you will be sent home early, have your shifts cut or be rostered off for weeks. If you ever ask a question on how to do something (as you often receive little-no training), it will be
  more... explained to you in a condescending manner, as if you are a child.

My favourite part about the job was the heat. The warehouse is practically a large metal box. I loved coming to work everyday in summer to sweat out twice my body percentage of water due to lack of ventilation, no fans and 40 degree humidity. Every now and again someone would faint, which was quite thrilling.

The company often encourages workplace cultures of opportunity and fun. However, it is usually based on everyone sharing the mutual agreement of how horrible their day is.
Pros
Hot guys in dispatch
Cons
Everything above
Was a great a fun place to work at
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD27 February 2019
Best place I’ve worked at, city beach was my first job and while being there I felt so welcomed and enjoyed working with my co workers, always had a great time working
Pros
Get to wear what you want
Slow and boring job with poor management
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Murarrie QLD25 February 2019
The job is very simple; you are measured by a KPI called a productivity percentage. Having an eight hour shift, the work gets very tedious and boring after a couple shifts. This is made even worse by management who constantly bully, harass, intimidate and belittle workers through their constant micromanagement, over-explaining and pedantic expectations which dull employee morale and create a climate of hysteria and fear. Arguably, these 'managers' have not learnt an ounce of management and its functions which is apparent in a group setting and from your first interaction with them. The only part of this job which was refreshing was your co-workers which were friendly, helpful and understanding. I would only recommend this job if you are starting out in the workplace and need some cash whilst pursuing studies, a trade or something else. Please reconsider applying if you are looking for something sustainable and/or long-term - for the sake of your mental health.
Pros
Co-workers are friendly and sociable
Cons
Managers are rude, underqualified and feral
Management is by far the worst thing about working here.
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Murarrie QLD25 February 2019
Work is boring and repetitive, that in itself is expected. The temperature inside the warehouse is hot (again expected), but there is hardly any airflow/fans/air conditioning and the fans that are there are pointed at 5 out of 50 staff. I was there for around 4 months and during that time I saw 3 people overheat and pass out.

I worked in the e-store department and can say the manager was the worst part about working here. She was nothing but rude, foul mouthed, and always on a war path. When she would come storming out of her “office” you could see everyone flinch and pray she wasn’t charging towards them.

Asking for any time off regardless of the amount of notice is “not on”. Casuals are made to bring in medical certificates for sick days (even though they’re not required to) or their shifts will be cut.

Majority of the other full time staff were fine and didn’t have any problems with, but even they are all scared of the manager, so no one would take a stand against her regardless.

Pay was average, got over time but it wasn’t optional.

There’s no doubt in my mind the manager and bad working conditions are the reason there is such a high employee turn over in this place. I wouldn’t never go back.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
E store manager sucks
Its ok
Warehouse Full Time Team Member (Current Employee) –  Murarrie QLD24 February 2019
Job is ok for temporary work, cant imagine anyone would ever want to stay there and work long term. if you have the option of leaving then do it. the hours are good if you enjoy never seeing your family
its ok
E-store Pick & Pack Member (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD16 February 2019
Good workplace if a uni/ TAFE student, definitely not a full time/ long term position.
There is nothing hard about the job itself, a typical day at work is generally pretty relaxed, not too busy or chaotic unless it's Christmas time.
Pros
discounts
Cons
cut shifts
Good hours, bad pay, even worse managers
Warehouse work (Current Employee) –  Murarrie QLD13 February 2019
There are long hours, usually 8 hour shifts so I work more in a day than I do in 2 or 3 days in retail, but during slow seasons you can be sent home early with little warning. The pay is only average.
The work itself is easy but boring and repetitive. The worst part by far is the managers. They treat casual staff like children who can't think on their own and I have been blamed by my manager by things that my manager herself got wrong and there is never a time where you are spoken to with any respect. They move around the warehouse stomping and barking out critiques and all you can do is pray your not the one they're angry at.
This causes great anxiety every time you make a mistake and means you never tell the managers that something is wrong and the problem grows. Many mistakes are caused by a flawed system, mixed with lagging RF scanners, and your own human error but they are treated as if you just murdered someone and result in you often being yelled at in front of the group.
Worth it for the very busy and long Christmas Hours where you can work up to 70 hours a week.
Pros
Many Hours
Cons
Horrible Manager
terrible, I didn’t enjoy or feel like a valued staff member.
Christmas Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Darwin NT9 February 2019
I recently worked at city beach as a Christmas causal and was not valued at all, also I was spoken down on. I worked there for a little under two months and without any notice I was off the roster for the past three weeks assuming I was no longer needed but when I asked I was told I’ll be sent an email in regards to this but I never did/have. So to not be employed any more with zero notice or conversation about being not needed I find very slack and rude on their behalf. I believe I did not fit in with the other employees as I was just a CC and they didn’t care to get to know me and pretty much ignore me all together. I was also shown little to barely any guidance in what to do during my shifts so I had to wing it all (my first retail job) I found that difficult.
Always busy
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD8 February 2019
A typical day at work involves a lot of recovery of the store and a high level of customer service is required. my customer service skills have heightened since being with the company. The management and culture are great.
very spacious environment
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD5 February 2019
i was underpayed a few times but overall, it was a good experience to have and i learnt new things. the hardest part of the job would have to be dealing with unsatisfied customers but i would handle responsibly.
Team Members are awesome
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Morayfield QLD2 February 2019
Every single person who works there is super cool. They are always up for a chat. The management team are super lovely and always sorted out an issue as soon as it arised
productive and fun workplace
Christmas Casual (Former Employee) –  Loganholme QLD2 February 2019
I always loved coming into work and giving customer service and learning how to deal with situations quickly and working in a team. The most enjoyable part of the job was in fitting room.
It is hard work but a safe environment
Casual (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD28 January 2019
Working at city beach is tiring and it gets a little hot but I don't mind it too much. I live far away so the distance annoys me to get into work on time. Other than that it is a average job.
Pros
1 paid lunch break
Cons
Long Hours
Easy work, not a nice place.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Murarrie QLD20 January 2019
The coworkers were a nice part of the job however I am still in utter shock how awful the management were in particular the current manager of E-Store who was incredibly rude everyday. Never seen her in a happy mood and haven’t had a conversation with her without her being awful and horrible to me.This needs to be dealt with. Along with the poor working conditions- working inside a tin roofed warehouse needs fans... Not two fans far away from the workers. Had people pass out and vomit.

The Hours were good and the pay was average.
Pros
Supplied vending machines and every now and then have a food van up.
Cons
Horrible manager on Estore. Poor working conditions in heat.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City Beach Australia. Our community is ready to answer.