City of Greater Geelong
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

City of Greater Geelong Employee Reviews

Australia15 reviews
Working for the council has it's pros and cons. They pay you very well, compared to other centres. It's hard to comment on the culture because there are several centres and they are all different. The hardest part of the job was the interview process. The most enjoyable is working with children, of course!
Great area to work, some people ok but very in-house culture. Don’t expect to get to get a job here if a casual unless you know someone in management, nepotism is rife and there is no way they live up to their so called “ values” . Culture is based on popularity and nepotism.
Pros
Field work
Cons
Micro management
I have enjoyed working with clients in the community and would like to continue working with vulnerable clients and linking them in to services. Our positions at the council are not secure due to the downsizing of the department.
Pros
Close to home. Good colleagues
Cons
Uncertainty of the Department's future.
Overall, I enjoyed work here, but found there was no real chance for career progression. Positions are either casual or temporary contract. The people in full-time positions are more concerned about covering their roles than giving credit where it's due and often take the ideas of others and pass it off as their own.
Pros
Flexible hours, great pay, great environment
Cons
Hardly any chance to progress, management tend to be secretive
Working with a great team of like minded people who are focused and pro-active.
Very supportive management structure.

Opportunities for professional development that is paid by employer.

High levels of professional knowledge and practice expected.
Pros
Flexible shifts and management support for all staff.
Cons
Lack of funding for vital intervention support.
good management and satisfying clients and carers needs.
work experience as it was first job in this field.

quality and satisfying job.
Amazing enviroment for work and a great place to get experiance. Well payed employees and great place to meet new people and gain great relationships with other people.
. good work balance and friendly treatment
. great co - workers

. responsible superiors

. good paymant

. independent work and also team work

. good paymant on weekends
My time at the CoGG was positive. I was very fortunate to have experienced an internship in the Finance Department. The team displayed respect for their manager and were hard-working. I was made welcome and feel very fortunate to have had such a positive introduction back into the workforce.
Pros
flexibility
The workplace did not give you an induction. There were many forms that you were not told about. The computer system was slow. When you asked for something you were told to get someone else to do it. You were asked to voice your concerns that you had with staff to them, but this was only for a certain few. Private meeting were not always held in private. There was a culture of if you do not fit we will make your life difficult.
Pros
higher pay bigger organisation
Cons
culture of uindermining
i enjoy my role but my life style has changed and now i am looking for a afternoon or night job. management is well supportive and very understanding. decent amount of policies and very conscience of health and safety in the working environment.
Pros
great working conditions
Cons
doesn't suit my life style anymore cause of studing
as the holiday float I got the travel around the Geelong area working in 6 different centres. some hours may have been 3 or 8. depending on who i was covering.
i would walk into a new centre and would have to pick up on everything quickly. the children and staff names. the room routine and where everything was kept. it was full on and it was hard to keep up at some points once you get use to one centre its off to the next one.
Pros
the looked after you well being a council job
Cons
moving around too much
Good understanding and needs of all staff enjoy able place to work,provide training,organisation had terrific career path.Found it difficult to progress within the organisation
I currently have several permanent group fitness position with city of Greater Geelong teaching Aqua aerobics, Boxing, circuit and cycle classes and fill in on a casual basis where I am required.
Pros
Support and training
Cons
Lack of ability to gain full time employment due to OH&S council guidelines, point system they have in place that limits how many classes you can take in a 72 hour period.
Many areas to move around in whilst being apart of local government.

Strong professional roles however a few and far between.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Greater Geelong. Our community is ready to answer.
City of Greater Geelong Reviews by Location