City of Melbourne
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

City of Melbourne Employee Reviews

Australia16 reviews
Amazing people, great job culture. Very passionate people working for a cause they believe in. It was an amazing experience and I would have stayed had I not had to move back to Canada.
relaxed fun friendly culture lots of opportunity to progress Fair pay structure in all departments, supportive management and staff convenient location
I had a great time working with City Of Melbourne Staff to put on a youth art festival. The hardest part was dealing with challenges to the event form the outside environment. We worked great as a team to overcome and mitigate these challenges which arose during the festival.
Enjoyed working as a Program Staff in the Healthy Ageing Service for the council;

Beautiful culture with the people & culture managers; planned activity groups and team building trainings.

The best workplace and memories :)
I worked in the Engineering Branch and was very lucky to have a great manager who supported our team.
The work was meaningful and the organisation was full of switched on and motivated individuals. A high volume of work but work-life balance taken seriously.

Many opportunities to do training of various sorts was encouraged.

I loved working there - until the restructure.

The whole vibe changed. Everyone was miserable. A number of people in our team (including myself) either lost their jobs or were asked to take significant pay cuts.

It may have improved again since then - but certainly not 'the good old days'.

Still, a very worthwhile place to work.
Pros
Great people, meaningful work
Cons
Contract roles becoming the norm
My review about City of Melbourne, was the staff and the customer's.

No day was the same, had some challenges but managed to get through the day

Learned about child immunisation and what's on in Melbourne events, which I played a small part in getting the message out there for family friendly concerts.

I loved every thing about working for City of Melbourne and the role of first point of contact to the general public.

I enjoyed the morning tea's and a chit chat to my work colleagues and management.
Pros
Beautiful building and great views of Docklands
Cons
Leaving the role to look after ill parent was the hardest thing to leave a job I loved.
Great company, treated me with respect and amazing staff felt like a little family, I always try to keep in touch with some of my fellow volunteers.Only one shift a week which is fantastic as a student. With great functions and events I can attend to. National Volunteer week function was fun and always themed and our Christmas functions were fun, they were also dressed up.
Pros
lovely team
Cons
not paid
Good Team..
Involved in Developing Hybrid Data warehouse model (SSIS/SSRS) and worked with Power BI, Tableau and QlikView.
Pros
Good Team
The best thing about working at CoM is that the staff are passionate about the city. They do need to work more collaboratively and innovatively.
Pros
Staff who care
Cons
More collaboriation is needed
Fair and equitable employer, that is flexible. They support personal and professional development. An organisation that is open to new and innovative ideas.
Supportive Management with flexible work hours and always encouraging with personal growth and development.
Always treat you as a valued staff member and provide you with all the necessary resources to achieve your work goals.
Pros
Discounts on events
Cons
Parking
I have done some lovely volunteer jobs for City of Melbourne, great organisation, will stay open to do more project in weekends, whenever I have availability
Pros
Free lunches
A fun place to work.

Social Club,

Made plenty of friends over the period spent at work.

Social discounts.

Flexibility.

I had plenty of opportunities in my early years to move around, giving me the knowledge and know how of today.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
leaving
As a capital city I had expected that the City of Melbourne would present the most up to date systems, technology, expertise and support networks. Unfortunately this is not the case.
Pros
Working in the CBD. Remuneration.
Cons
Disjointed. No sense of 'team'.
The group of people i work with where great. I learnt a lot . I loved organising event, it was the best part of the job
Pros
Learnt a lot
Cons
Struggle to stay on top of things
As a student on placement, visiting clients and planning how to support them was enjoyable. What I learnt from this experience is listening, empathising and giving them relevant information was very empowering to clients. Understanding the issue, knowing where to refer them and accompany them to places like court and etc is very important to clients.

I am very easy person to work with until now I didn't get any major problem working with others. I have documents to support that.

The hardest part of the job was when a client was abusive towards us because of the letter we wrote to support his child care application for his children. I was frightened and wanted to leave but my supervisor knows the client and kept talking to him. I asked later why she stayed when it was not safe for us, she answered she worked with this client for a long time and knows his behaviour, she thought it was safe and it was. I think working with a client longer will make the worker know their behaviour better and support them better.

The most enjoyable part of the job was achieving the agreed goals for a client and closing the case.
Pros
Helping people is a rewarding job.
Cons
People can be agressive because of their issues, People might not trust workers.