City of Melbourne
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

City of Melbourne Employee Reviews

4.0Work–Life Balance

Worked as a temp for 4 months

Amazing people, great job culture. Very passionate people working for a cause they believe in. It was an amazing experience and I would have stayed had I not had to move back to Canada.

Laid back easy going company

relaxed fun friendly culture lots of opportunity to progress Fair pay structure in all departments, supportive management and staff convenient location

Fun workplace with helpful staff

I had a great time working with City Of Melbourne Staff to put on a youth art festival. The hardest part was dealing with challenges to the event form the outside environment. We worked great as a team to overcome and mitigate these challenges which arose during the festival.

Excellent Journey

Enjoyed working as a Program Staff in the Healthy Ageing Service for the council; Beautiful culture with the people & culture managers; planned activity groups and team building trainings. The best workplace and memories :)

Best place I have ever worked

I worked in the Engineering Branch and was very lucky to have a great manager who supported our team. The work was meaningful and the organisation was full of switched on and motivated individuals. A high volume of work but work-life balance taken seriously. Many opportunities to do training of various sorts was encouraged. I loved working there - until the restructure. The whole vibe changed. Everyone was miserable. A number of people in our team (including myself) either lost their jobs or were asked to take significant pay cuts. It may have improved again since then - but certainly not 'the good old days'. Still, a very worthwhile place to work.

Pros

Great people, meaningful work

Cons

Contract roles becoming the norm

Great team building culture

My review about City of Melbourne, was the staff and the customer's. No day was the same, had some challenges but managed to get through the day Learned about child immunisation and what's on in Melbourne events, which I played a small part in getting the message out there for family friendly concerts. I loved every thing about working for City of Melbourne and the role of first point of contact to the general public. I enjoyed the morning tea's and a chit chat to my work colleagues and management.

Pros

Beautiful building and great views of Docklands

Cons

Leaving the role to look after ill parent was the hardest thing to leave a job I loved.

Amazing - I Miss It.

Great company, treated me with respect and amazing staff felt like a little family, I always try to keep in touch with some of my fellow volunteers.Only one shift a week which is fantastic as a student. With great functions and events I can attend to. National Volunteer week function was fun and always themed and our Christmas functions were fun, they were also dressed up.

Pros

lovely team

Cons

not paid

Good Team

Good Team.. Involved in Developing Hybrid Data warehouse model (SSIS/SSRS) and worked with Power BI, Tableau and QlikView.

Pros

Good Team

Staff are passionate about the City

The best thing about working at CoM is that the staff are passionate about the city. They do need to work more collaboratively and innovatively.

Pros

Staff who care

Cons

More collaboriation is needed

Fun place to work which makes a difference in the community

Fair and equitable employer, that is flexible. They support personal and professional development. An organisation that is open to new and innovative ideas.

Jobs at City of Melbourne

See more jobs

Proactive and wonderful work environment

Supportive Management with flexible work hours and always encouraging with personal growth and development. Always treat you as a valued staff member and provide you with all the necessary resources to achieve your work goals.

Pros

Discounts on events

Cons

Parking

Great organisation with lots of opportunities

I have done some lovely volunteer jobs for City of Melbourne, great organisation, will stay open to do more project in weekends, whenever I have availability

Pros

Free lunches

Team building excerices

A fun place to work. Social Club, Made plenty of friends over the period spent at work. Social discounts. Flexibility. I had plenty of opportunities in my early years to move around, giving me the knowledge and know how of today.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

leaving

Individualistic

As a capital city I had expected that the City of Melbourne would present the most up to date systems, technology, expertise and support networks. Unfortunately this is not the case.

Pros

Working in the CBD. Remuneration.

Cons

Disjointed. No sense of 'team'.

Struggles as wage was low

The group of people i work with where great. I learnt a lot . I loved organising event, it was the best part of the job

Pros

Learnt a lot

Cons

Struggle to stay on top of things

Working with family having children was rewarding.

As a student on placement, visiting clients and planning how to support them was enjoyable. What I learnt from this experience is listening, empathising and giving them relevant information was very empowering to clients. Understanding the issue, knowing where to refer them and accompany them to places like court and etc is very important to clients. I am very easy person to work with until now I didn't get any major problem working with others. I have documents to support that. The hardest part of the job was when a client was abusive towards us because of the letter we wrote to support his child care application for his children. I was frightened and wanted to leave but my supervisor knows the client and kept talking to him. I asked later why she stayed when it was not safe for us, she answered she worked with this client for a long time and knows his behaviour, she thought it was safe and it was. I think working with a client longer will make the worker know their behaviour better and support them better. The most enjoyable part of the job was achieving the agreed goals for a client and closing the case.

Pros

Helping people is a rewarding job.

Cons

People can be agressive because of their issues, People might not trust workers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Melbourne. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

City of Melbourne Reviews by Location