City of Yarra
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

City of Yarra Employee Reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

good company

good company, learning a lot from there. good to stay as a accountant. facing to the problems and fixed with others' help everyone is very helpful and enjoyable

Most dysfunctional local government ever

Few systems and poorly documented. Little accountability of leadership in important areas like finance and HR, and poor support to teams. Token collaboration with staff as leadership already made decisions. Communication by middle management to teams inadequate and consists of being told how things will be. Lot of talk about supporting diversity in workplace and community but little action

I was a casual employee

I really liked most of the staff I worked with and there were good days and bad days how ever we worked as a team and got jobs done to the best of our abillity..

Very bias organisation

This must be the worst Council in Australia. Extremely bias Poor pay Don't agree with the extreme left your not welcome at this place Had a good manager though

Productive, small and fun team, inclusive, busy and deadline driven

Everyone as a team from the EA to the Mayor to the maintenance manager all worked as one to achieve global council goals. A fun, inclusive, appreciative environment with a lot of support in a very busy local council office. I learnt a new system MERIT logging constituents correspondence for Mayors office. Hardest part of the job was the busy environment, needed very good organisational abilities and attention to detail. I also enjoyed the people the relaxed atmosphere and the supportive assistance with in - house training supplied for the data base. Hardest part of the job was leaving!

Pros

Flexible time frame for lunch and breaks. Close to home.

Administration officer

The role was a temporary role which was for two week then they kept extending the period of the role. I was happy that the role was being extended but the environment / culture was toxic. The Senior Administration Officer and the other permanent staff member would constantly whinge about not having enough staff and there was another person from another area who had previously worked in the role I was in, constantly kept coming and interrupting the whole administration area. I was asked to stay on for a fifth week but I could not deal with the situation in the area so I declined the offer.

Pros

flexible with breaks

Cons

toxic environment

Productive, supportive and inspiring workplace.

A typical day at work is energetic, packed with responsibility and is different everyday. I enjoy my role, and I love the communities I work with. Management and co-workers are wonderful, inspiring and supportive. I came to the organisation with little to no experience and I have been mentored and supported throughout my career so far.

After working in rural Australia, my experience at City of Yarra was insight into working with CALD families on a very intimante level.Great Team.

A Family Support Service Program. The Program was part of the City of Yarra Local Government. Each support worker had a case load of families to support. The LGA have a very high Vietnamese population and also the highest population of East Timorese with Temp. Protection Visa's. High Unemployment. A high number of clients did not speak English and therefore interpreters were a must. Expectation of role was to create a client directed plan; implement the plan and close. For example a plan would consist of: housing issues in relation to the office of housing; new applications re: over crowding or an effort to move out the high rise public housing towers. Maintenance of public housing or lack of it. Immigration issues. Unemployment issues. Financial issues. Domestic Violence. Alcohol and other Drug issues. Many issues with Centrelink and payments. Child Protection. Mental Health Problems. As a result of the high level of Domestic Violence I began work with Carlton Community Health Service and established Domestic Violence Group Work. Selection of participants; design of the 8 week group content and plan to provide an 8 week course. The goal was to provide the participants (women) with as much information about how the dynamic of domestic violence impacts on very aspect of life. The group normally consisted of half Vietnamese (non English speaking) women and half, women who could speak English. 2 facilitators my self and a Vietnamese colleague, together with an interrupter. The groups were ongoing and very successful. Co Workers Australian, Vietnamese, -

Pros

Working with such a diverse team, who I still have contact with.

Cons

No resourses, heavy work load.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Yarra. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• City of Yarra