City of Yarra
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

City of Yarra Employee Reviews for Support Worker

Found 1 review matching the searchSee all 8 reviews

After working in rural Australia, my experience at City of Yarra was insight into working with CALD families on a very intimante level.Great Team.

A Family Support Service Program. The Program was part of the City of Yarra Local Government. Each support worker had a case load of families to support. The LGA have a very high Vietnamese population and also the highest population of East Timorese with Temp. Protection Visa's. High Unemployment. A high number of clients did not speak English and therefore interpreters were a must. Expectation of role was to create a client directed plan; implement the plan and close. For example a plan would consist of: housing issues in relation to the office of housing; new applications re: over crowding or an effort to move out the high rise public housing towers. Maintenance of public housing or lack of it. Immigration issues. Unemployment issues. Financial issues. Domestic Violence. Alcohol and other Drug issues. Many issues with Centrelink and payments. Child Protection. Mental Health Problems. As a result of the high level of Domestic Violence I began work with Carlton Community Health Service and established Domestic Violence Group Work. Selection of participants; design of the 8 week group content and plan to provide an 8 week course. The goal was to provide the participants (women) with as much information about how the dynamic of domestic violence impacts on very aspect of life. The group normally consisted of half Vietnamese (non English speaking) women and half, women who could speak English. 2 facilitators my self and a Vietnamese colleague, together with an interrupter. The groups were ongoing and very successful. Co Workers Australian, Vietnamese, -

Pros

Working with such a diverse team, who I still have contact with.

Cons

No resourses, heavy work load.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at City of Yarra?

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Yarra. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

City of Yarra Reviews by Location

• City of Yarra
  • Support Worker
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?