Code Camp

16: Code Camp Employee Reviews

Australia16 reviews

4.5Work–Life Balance

Collaborative and Fun

I have loved absolutely every minute of working with Code Camp. The educators, the content, the experience and the enthusiasm is incredible to engage in.

So disorganised

Have done drone camp and it was my first time doing a camp, head teacher didn't arrive and instead another new employee came and we were not suited to teach the class. Cannot teach a class with two brand new teachers!! It was incredibly frustrating and tiring.

Perfect for University students

I have had a wonderful time working at Code Camp. It is a perfect job for university students looking to work during their break periods and gain experience. Its also great if you have an interest in coding and can share that with your students.

Well-operated Working Environment

Instructions in work were very clear, with Headquarters readily available when a student and teacher encounter a bug. Great company to work with during school holidays with nice like-minded co-workers and reliable management.

Pay is good, if you get work.

I enjoyed working at codecamp, I found the day went pretty fast and the pay was good, but I was barely ever assigned work. Due to this I decided to look elsewhere for work.

Thrilling Teaching Environment

A typical day for me involves starting off by setting up for and conducting an exciting day of teaching kids how to make games. During my time here, I've learned how to understand and work with children better than before. The hardest part of the job would be managing children at times and following along with the content as it can sometimes be a bit 'in development' per say. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing all the kids happy and playing the games that they have created themselves.

Supportive and organised company with a clear structure to follow.

The company has a really good and straightforward process for resolving issues e.g. using slack to communicate easily with head office and the use of head teacher and camp manager daily reports. As you move up in the company, you are able to access guides that assist you to ensure you complete the necessary tasks with your job. Compared to similar vacation care skills workshop type companies that I have previously worked for, Code Camp stands out as having a clear structure with delegated tasks. There is a manager, a teacher, an assistant etc. This helps everyone to know what they need to do to have a successful work day. The location of camps is varied and sometimes requires a bit of travel, but you are able to opt in and out of travelling to specific areas. The employment is a contract for each specific camp that you work at. As far as I am aware, there is no clear process to become permanent full or part time in your role at camp. Permanent employees possibly only work at HQ. This may change as the company grows in age and experience.

Pros

Clear structure, good communication with parents and head office, good messaging channel (slack), good process of review for employees, clear pay structure, tells employees clearly and accurately what their pay will be, prompt processing of pay, company reimburses you for items you need to purchase to do your job, head office is friendly and approachable, they will promote you if you show interest and capacity

Cons

Inconsistent work contracts, appears to have a high staff turnover, upper management do not all have a teaching background

Fun and learing experience

Exciting workplace which offers casual jobs during school holidays. Teaches kids of age from 6-13 how to make apps and games using javascript. The company is very well staffed and provides excellent working conditions.

Best Work place

I enjoyed working at Code Camp. I worked as a Part time employee during my university breaks. Good guidance is given by seniors.Equal rights for all employees.Good Pay.

Productive and fun place to work

Working with code camp was a good experience, gained good knowledge about time management, managing small kids and about code camp. the management was very friendly and supportive.

Enjoyable and fulfilling work, although communication with HQ is disorganised at times.

Teaching kids how to code is very fulfilling, and working with children is a great experience. The camps generally run smoothly with only a few hiccups around the start. It can be difficult to properly communicate the issues to Code Camp HQ, however I'm sure this will improve as more camps are run in the Canberra region.

Pros

Fulfilling work and relatively easy work conditions

Cons

Infrequent opportunities to work

Thirty years of teaching - this has been the most rewarding !

Teachers who have had a hard time of it at other teaching establishments will find Code Camp a breath of fresh air. It reminds you why you wanted to teach in the first place. The kids are somewhat pre-selected by the fact they have said 'yes' to the question 'do you want to learn how to code' but the kids I have taught of ages 5 to at least 13 have had a wide range of abilities and prior knowledge. Whatever their starting points, all loved it and managed to get a really good looking and working game to show off at the end of three or four days coding. It is hard work finding what errors the kids have snuck in to the code example we give them, but we are always thanked by them - and their parents - even if we have to ask HQ to find the bug ! When did you last get thanked as a teacher ?

Pros

Great kids and colleagues. Good for weight loss.

Cons

A down side ? You do have to get up early :-)

Interactive work environment which helps in building social relationship with kids and other team members.

I have been enjoying working at code camp since a year now. I like how kids use their skill to show their creativity which is very impressive. Code camp gives a chance interact with lot of new people at every camp and this interaction is really helpful in making our social network.

Pros

Flexible work environment.

Accounts are horrible

I was placed in a classroom with another teacher and an assistant. The assistant teacher's knowledge of IT was obviously inadequate when it came to teaching the kids how to program. I ended up doing a lot of the work that an assistant teacher would do. The other co-head teacher was fine with me doing this, but the camp managers noted that I was not doing my job as a teacher rather as an assistant teacher and billed me as an assistant teacher. When I was supposed to receive $600 gross I received $300, communicating with the company was absolutely horrible. It took me over 6 weeks to get billed in the first place and when I got billed I got the wrong amount. I strongly advise that you do not work with this company.

Amazing culture

I loved working with code camp and am hoping to be able to work with them in the future also. it is very well managed and the kids love it too! The kids are divided into different classes as per their caliber. Everyone is very helpful and prompt to help!

Nice working environment

Good colleagues, good work environment, children can really learn how to build their own games and its fun for people like kids to work there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Code Camp. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Code Camp with

Learn about Code Camp in popular locations

• Code Camp
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?