Coles

Australia1,141 reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Found 1,141 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,209 reviews

Decent

With good coworkers it's great, but rotating door of managers could really change the vibe. Shifts were pretty short but you could get more if you asked for them.

Essential service that treats its workers as a non essential service

Most team get along, but like any workplace there is constant whingeing about management.Upper management seems to always put more workload onto an increasingly shrinking team. You don't have the stable group around you because their staff (who are young or casual) always call in sick leaving you short.Beware... THIS employer really DOESN'T care about your welfare, as evidenced by their sacking of over 4,000 employees when the pandemic ended, despite USING THOSE SAME EMPLOYEES when it was at it's very worst. There is NO LOYALTY. TOP MANAGEMENT IS THE MOST TOXIC I HAVE EVER SEEN.

Pros

Customers who don't realise what it's like to work for Coles

Cons

The top management whether store management or above.

Regular job

-fun people -understanding -communication with managers is key-store managers or state are overestimate work to be done. - they cut hours occasionally -department managers are great.

Pros

Nightshift pay is good

Cons

Over working, cutting hours

Boring and harsh management but the pay is decent

I just resigned recently because of how unfair management is and how they just don't care about their employees. The pay is good and interacting with customers can be fun sometimes but you can get sacked at even the slightest mistake so be careful.

Pros

Good salary

Cons

Harsh management, nearly no job security

Productive and fun workplace

Have learned time management skills here. The colleagues are very helpful and welcoming. Good working environment. Everyone is very friendly and fun to work with.

Not a great place to work

They make you feel guilty if you're sick or inured. They don't thank you for anything, but they point out everything you do wrong. They give you less & less staff to work with & expect you to still finish the job. They give you extra things to do & expect you to do it in the same time or less.

Avoid

Coles is corporate business with only one goal..... Profit. Everything else health, safety, customer first etc is all window dressing. Morale is so low , absenteeism is high . The only thing employees are barely hanging on to is the pay is good. Employee turnover is high including management. My family situation kept me there for 10 years but once I finish my certificate for Support Worker I will gladly leave.Avoid big corporate companies!!!

Pros

Pay, work mates

Cons

Everything else

Fun workplace

Very boring and easy place to work. The work life balance was good the management was a bit stiff unfortunately the shift times were a bit awkward hopefully the management has improved since I was there

Flexible and helpful plan life in conjunction with work

A great place to work. Do your job and do it best you can and no pressure. Management back you up. No worries about receiving your proper entitlements.,Best job ever had

Depends where you work.

Coles is great for someone who is just starting their career with a decent salary, good training and lots of support. My first location was amazing and helped me majorly when it came to being supporting, flexible and overall great management. But, once I left to a different location everything was the opposite. Managers were clearly very undertrained, vindictive and young. The store manager has no clue how to run a store and is rude to everyone. No life/work balance, rejected annual leave and constant threats weren't the way.Overall it depends where you work and if you can deal with the possibility of a sucky manager or store.

Pros

Good money

Cons

Management can be very bad

Fast paced. Engaged and collaborative team.

Fast paced, but motivation to meet performance metrics is framed as encouragement, rather than negative. Team works together and is clear on mission.

Pros

Good crew, management expectations are reasonable.

Cons

Start with minimal contract with few guaranteed hours.

Decent

Great training, however my store was severely understaffed and required me to take the load of 3-4 worth's work of employees leading me to leave the company.

Pros

Great training, Discount on groceries

Cons

Understaffed

Decent as a first job

Was definitely alright in the beginning, but after being put into the position of a service supervisor, it all went downhill and became incredibly stressful. Pay could be better (didn't get paid extra as a supervisor) but hours are pretty flexible

Good asmostsphere as the team member are close to each other.

The workload is normal so if you work with normal pace then its should be fine. All the team member in my place have close relationship therefore its kinda fun to come. However, the expectation from top management some time can be high, so its all ups to your manager and team captain that you can have a good shift or bad shift.

Stressful and lack of proper training

its alright once you get used to things, but at the start they just had me working with minimal training, and so i made many mistakes, causing stress.

Good first job

Was a good first time job. Manager on multiple occasions would come find me in the store to tell me I was being slow, even though I had just started and was still getting used to the layout. Can be fast paced and stressful. Was rostered at 7am multiple times, work every weekend never weekdays. But, pretty simple job and I enjoy my time there.

nice job

Coles is a good way to gain experience and learn work skills. I worked there in school and they are very flexible with hours with my school hours i had

Long standing hours

The work expects you to spends hours at ding in one area with no breaks unless u work 4 hours. Managers tend to drop shifts When you turn 18 as a casual.

Not bad

Good place to work if you are starting out and need a place to work. Management is largely decent and understanding of your cirumstances. Pay was fair.

Not Bad Overworked

Good place to learn various management strategies and good pay depending on stores Too much stressful at times but and not a good place to be in for long term

Great for extra income - bad culture

Great for extra income - bad culture not goodstressed out management.blame staff for being to slowPay is okay - but the system is broken and the fillers have ti rush every night to make management happy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Coles. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Coles with