Coles
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Coles Employee Reviews

Australia2,888 reviews
Found 2,888 reviews matching the search
Coles is a good company to work for. They pay well and are very supportive to flexible rostering for families.
It can be hard to get into other departments/ brands making development difficult.
Pros
Good pay, flexible
Cons
Customer abuse, working in isolation, no holiday at Christmas time
its a very stressful job if you get an injury you are treated like a leper and if you leave and reapply to come back they will not rehire you unless you have a friend in upper management
Cons
It was the best job I’ve had it’s an amazing environment I’ve worked in the people are great and most of the customers are lovely to talk to and awesome to help
Worked in the liquor section of Coles, Vintage Cellars and Liquorland.
Staff and management were great and delivery of work and safety modules to be completed were done at work. Customers made the job and were mostly pleasant all the time. Hardest part of the job was the lifting of slabs and cartons of wine etc.
Pros
Coles Team Member Card
Cons
Casual so hours were often late shifts
Been there for 5 years and haven't gotten anywhere. My manger won't allow me to progress further into a better career at Coles.

They don't really care about how you are, until you are actually in trouble. When I was pregnant I wasn't treated right when other girls before me who were pregnant got special treatment like ACO (Asstianted check out) and small jobs. While I had to put my child at risk doing all the hard tasks
Pros
Great friends
Cons
Unless you are a favourite you dont get anywhere
Working for Coles in a management role can be very rewarding. The leadership team above me for the most part over a 20 year period was excellent. The company recognises the significance of work life balance and accomodates its people wherever it can.

The workload upon salarised team members is unrealistic in my personal opinion but if you're up for a challenge and are prepared to work hard, then I would have no hesitation in reccomending a future with Coles. It also has the extra added benefit of being as Covid proof as you can get.
Pros
Staff discounts
Cons
I come to work every required work day and sign on, put on my apron and walk to the Delicatessen throughout the day i serve customers, many wonderful people with wonderful personalities, and help them have a plesant shopping experience. The only dificult part is working with some people with no work ethic and the odd rude customer
If you looking to work as non salary team member then it may be good otherwise for salary you have to leave your personal life behind and work for the company only as slave.
Pros
You have a job
Cons
You don't have life
Im with coles supermarkets clean and collect so cleaning and Trolley collection. I am on a part- time 16hour a week contract, with the ability to pick up shifts if they are needing someone in another area.
Most of the work is of a night, but that's what I agreed too 6pm-10pm. Learning the work is very easy, requires time management and persistence. You repeat the same jobs daily so very repetitive work.
Pros
consistency
Cons
Quite Manual in labour, requires fitness.
Decent place to work if you’re stationed at one store, if not it becomes really annoying and they treat you like trash because you might not do something ‘the usual way’. Shifts are from week to week if you’re a casual and sometimes have to work across town to get shifts even though you’ve been hired for a single store. Communication between staff is minimal so knowing what’s been done and what hasn’t is really hard. Most of the time it depends on which store you’re at, sometimes it’s alright, other times it’s terrible.
Pros
Good for young people
Cons
Treated like dirt
They are ok to work with but it’s very stressful and if your a casual it’s very hard to get job security. They are great to start work experience with and get a work history but not something you would want to do as a long term job.
Pros
-Supportive environment-Meeting new people
Cons
- not the best pay- no work and life balance- stressful- no permanent hours
all workers are great to get along with. Coles complies with state and federal laws in relation to necessary actions. They always look out for workers needs and best interests.
Pros
tight community culture
Cons
fluctuating weekly hours
Bullying, made to feel worthless.
Over worked. Overruled.

Never listened to

That's why I left

No flexible work time. Hard to take holidays.

Was left upset on many occasions going home and didn't want to come back in
Coles group are of the view that their team are disposable,merely a number and treat them accordingly.
The expectation for team members is huge and management are expected to do "reasonable overtime",in over 10 years no-one could ever tell me what this meant.Extra hours regularly and extra days for no time in lieu.Just do it,if you want to keep your job.

Team are pushed to achieve unreasonable targets often leading to safety procedures being ignored to and when i raised concerns about this i was shut down.I stuck up for team members to my detremit.

Remuneration is poor and the only thing that kept me in my job so long was a lot of awesome individuals to work alongside and make it bearable.

Coles claim to "care passionately" about their staff,they care about the dollar and the shareholders.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Unreasonable expectations, you are a number easily replaced.
i absolutely loved working at coles had heaps of shifts loved my mangers and my co workers they’re all lovely, my pay was food to say the least and i felt very accepted and part of a team!
60 hours 1 week 10 the next very random.
They want fast and safe not always possible

Kpi possible most the time but not in peak times Christmas and Easter as to much foot traffic.
Pros
good pay
Cons
Coles you meet nice people who help and care about you and others dont care as long as they have a paycheck and up to standard with shelve facing and rumbling and ticking facing
Pros
Need reasonable hours
Cons
Low wages
Working at Coles was a good experience where I learned to balance my time, family, and friend life as I was only 15 when I started. I gained many skills such as teamwork, communication skills where talking to customers was important. My manager at Coles was very understanding when it came to the employee’s studies and extracurricular activities. Being a casual worker, I was always called into work for night shifts or early morning shifts to fill in for others. Being so young I had to learn to be punctual and reliable and the growth I made there over 2 years was amazing and I was driven to look for more jobs and work harder. The team at Coles were very multicultural and the diversity made Christmas and Easter special to work at especially the lunch and dinner parties. Working alongside peers my age or a little bit older has helped me grow and be more confident withing the retail industry.
Pros
Lunch Breaks
It's a fast paced environment, be prepared to not just deal with customers. You will be responsible for filling shelves, fridges and freezers. Compliance is a big part of the business - tobacco, food safety (out of dates, temperature checking), workplace safety.
It might seem too much to handle but you will find your managers are not your bosses but a part of your team.
Pros
Wages, team environment, ongoing training, building relationships with customers
There's lots of room for workers to challenge themselves both in a physical sense by improving scan rates or building good customer rapport, as well as many social aspects (navigating problems, dealing with difficult customers).
Pros
Flexible hours as casual worker and student
Cons
Short hours
Its a good company to work with especially if we are studying or working somewhere else. If we work full time dedicatedly, they offer chances for managership. Time slots suits if we want to choose. Managers take care of health and safety. They allow us to rotate shoulders every 2 hours to avoid tiredness.
Pros
5% discount of bill
Cons
less hours