Coles
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Coles Employee Reviews

Found 2,954 reviews matching the search
Work hard, get paid well. Very fast paced and pressured environment but the pay and job security is good, the work life balance is average and there is sometimes a negative culture.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Hard work
Very toxic workplace, If the manager there doesnt like you, you're screwed. heaps of my casual colleagues have had work cut from them. i've had time where i havent been given a single shift for 2 months. Overall the managers have very little respect for part time and casual workers but favour full time permanent workers.
Pros
Flexibility with hours, decent pay.
Cons
Rarely any shifts given, toxic managers.
Wouldn’t recommend. Favouritism, not enough hours for casuals. Not enough support for casuals. Need less staff and worry about the people that already work there
Not worth the effort you'd put in. They don't see it and they don't care! All about the $$$ at the end of the day and will work you to breaking point. Even when you ask for help no-one listens and no-one cares. You'd be better off begging on the streets for 50c than working for this circus.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Long hours, rosters they rekon are family friendly, (but have no intentions of working with you if it doesn't suit your life/family), never get to see your children, don't care about staff and their well-being, management pay is rubbish, can earn more as a casual doing nothing!!!
The expectation is ridiculous and you are expected to fill shelves, clean and tidy , unpack pallets on delivery all whilst maintaining perfect customer service and up selling to customers which on an average can be 1-3 customers per minute.Managers clearly have favourites and quite often can be a friend or relative they have employed and by the way gets all the decent shifts. You work on your own the majority of the time if you are doing nights and weekends. Always made to feel guilty if you are on nights and things aren’t to their standard the next day.There is no human element to this job and are expected to be on call 24/7. If you are on a longer shift alone and need to go to the bathroom forget it you get NO breaks.
Pros
Nice team of people if you ever see them
Cons
Over the top expectation, long shifts alone no breaks
After being employed for nearly 3 years, and making several attempts to advance my career by expressing my interest for other departments/ more hours/ a permanent position, i was ignored. Instead new employees were hired every month and favoured until the new round of employees were hired. One three hour shift a week is not enough to support anyone, and after expressing to my manager that I would be willing to work any hours & as many hours as possible, there were still weeks when I had no assigned shifts at all. Instead, when I resorted to finding a second job just to cover my expenses, I received complaints from my manager telling me that I could have simply asked for more shifts if i had a problem. It was a decent job for the first few months, but as soon as the new manager came in it became unbearable, and I am disappointed in forcing myself to put up with this treatment for so long. Decency and basic respect was something unknown at this shop, and favouritism was clearly visible in the workplace.
Pros
Easy work, They will hire ANYONE
Cons
Unenjoyable, No shifts/ Very short hours, Poor management, No opportunity for career advancement
I worked at liquorland Alot of heavy lifting but once u get use to it it's fine. Fast paced at times but when quiet u get alot of time to face up or just take a breather. Overall it was fun...alot of customer interaction if ur a people person. I worked for Coles services so that's cleaning the store and collecting trolleys that was good but the hours didn't agree with me. Better money though for that than actually working at Coles itself.
Pros
Coles discount card
Cons
Short shifts, late arvos, weekend's
Like any new job it takes dedication to become really good at the job. But the hard work done by employees is recognised and rewarded.. Friendly compition among site workers make what can sometimes feel a very stressful job more fun and interactive.
Pros
Fun safe place to work
Cons
Long hours with no breaks because your alone at the site.
Regular pay - hours rarely change - they dont like people who read fine print - management never asks workers opinions on actual operational ideas nor do they follow up with action if and when they do.
Pros
great team considering the environment
Cons
never expect to be heard
As a young person, career advancements were possible within the company. The culture and people including management were comfortable to work with. Friendly social activities were possible among work colleges and for company events.
Enjoyed every minute with Coles , have been given the opportunity to meet people learn right across the retail business , taking ownership of your department and seeing the increase in sales was great . connection and getting or gaining trust with your customers is the best feeling.
Pros
Free fruit on our table every day
Cons
I have done long hours
Working at Coles is challenging but rewarding. It gives me great satisfaction to help online customers deliver their groceries hassle free! I also feel like I’m living a purposeful life
Pros
Free Christmas lunch
Cons
Odd hours to suit customer needs
definitely don’t recommend, don’t get payed right, and the higher up people think they own the place, don’t care about staffs well-being and only care about profits. they are hopeless and aren’t organised at all. you get told you’ll get heaps of hours and don’t, usually all the managers favourites get all the hours.
Pros
10% off, but it’s really not a lot
Cons
everything
fast paced stressful not safe cutting hours managers get bonus employees get stress and hard work lot of abusive customers have to do a lot of things with less staff and its a modern day slavery struggle to take breaks and lots of politics everyone gossip about other
Pros
public holiday pay
Cons
everything no work life balance politics and bullying
Working at Carlingford Court Coles was an absolute horrendous experience for me! On the first day of the job the manager had shifted locations so the store was undergoing change and it was absolute terrible!All the staff we're complaining and the negative energy just surrounded you the moment you walked into the store!I had customers coming up to me, letting me know in person, that i am the ONLY staff member that appreciates the customers that come to the store and that i am the only staff member that SMILES!
Cons
Poor Management
Arrive, clock in. Go to the Work area. Assemble your load with paperwork, Add frozen and chilled product to complete the prior picked order. RFD check in per crate to correlate load. Transport total load to loading dock. Truck check and dock/park truck. Load truck. Assist loading the other trucks/runs. Drive to destinations. Park truck on roadside. Unload each order onto trolley provided and negotiate the terrain to take the load to the customers kitchen bench. (Maybe +3rd floor of stairs of unit complex. Maybe traverse a long steep driveway. Maybe don't tread on the dog that is whisking around your feet as you hand carry the crates into the customers home.) (( Watch out for messy kept houses with trip hazards and narrow thoroughfares.))I came to learn that management are pushed to make larger target volume and financial returns/month. Consequently the schedule and work-ability placed onto the workers is often very unrealistic and unobtainable. But the expectation is for you (the CSA) to perform bigger better quicker so these performance rates equate toward and forward to the expected financial targets. ((I will say, in your rush, Just don't injure yourself. You will struggle to substantiate a legitimate claim. You'll be treated initially to fulfill a minimum company or law requirement, but from there, any outclause or clause will apply. And you will just disappear off the books))My most enjoyable part of the job. If you have a good work team?. That's a personal build within itself. Your'e a part of a something. Most customers are fine, some really aren't though. As an Online - more...
Pros
Staff discount on Store product
Cons
Unrealistic expectations
Stressful, always short staffed, very toxic culture company wide, ridiculously long hours for the night/duty manager role, poor work/life balance, no communication, very quick with criticism, no recognition, promotions are gained by favouritism not work ethics or hard work
Pros
Cons
All negative
I am working at coles for 1.5 years and I have came through a lot of things which I thought never happens in Australia. If you call sick they will pay you from annual leave though you have plenty of sick leave left. You have to do extra oiling or sometimes give personal time to your manager to get a promotion. Managers put mental pressure in work. Pay is less according to work load. So much internal politics. Not happy to work here at all.
Cons
Less pay workplace politics
I worked at Coles for three years, left the job and honestly it was a terrible experience and I hated it.Anyway, the communication skills are terrible. They don’t notify you when they change your roster, therefore putting less hours in your roster. They blame you for not showing up and make you look like a bad employee. The managers LOVE to play favouritism and are nice to people who they only like. The managers are also liars and lie to you a lot and they’re abusive as well. Not only that but this job doesn’t get you anywhere as they don’t really promote you or anything unless you’re worthy of it or if they like you. Other than that there’s nothing to it really but it does help you with your customer service skills. They treat their employers like utter trash and don’t care about your health whether it be emotionally, physically or mentally.On a positive note I have really nice workmates with me whom I befriended over the years of working at Coles. Not the managers though. DO NOT. I repeat, DO NOT work at this company. The food is good and being a Coles customer is good but DO NOT be a worker.
Pros
The food and friends
Cons
Terrible Managers, Favouritism, Terrible Communication skills between staff
I first got the job at age 15 as a casual and I haven't looked back, the work- life balance was amazing, I was given so much support and grew so confident because of working here. The pay was pretty decent and so were the hours (not too little, not too much). As well as benefits and discounts (not only in coles but also at local gyms, Apple, Optus etc)
Pros
discounts, good pay
Cons
fast paced (which can sometimes be stressful)
Secure place to work, very stressful and fast paced. Always understaffed and some staff are lazy that you work with. Otherwise good hours, nice start and finish time usually.
Pros
Security and pay
Cons
Favouritism
  1. Employee Reviews