Coles
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Coles Employee Reviews

Australia2,134 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Found 2,134 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,213 reviews

Stressful workplace for casuals

I worked as a casual there with up to 10 hours in an average week, so I wasn’t there a lot. This meant that I had very limited contact with coworkers, as you basically work alone if on the registers, and was given very little information about changes in the workplace or new promotions - sometimes I had to find out from the customers. I will say that as I worked there during my last year of school, they were very accomodating to the time I took off for exams etc. and didn’t pressure me to come in when I couldn’t.

Your Typical Retail Company

The pay is good for the work and the coworkers are nice. This is where the positives end. Like all retail companies, they are stingy with their money and put profits above rostering on enough people and providing efficient customer service. So many times we have had to rely on people from other department to help serve customers because not enough people are rostered on in service. Having one extra person on would help a lot.

Good

Good workplace, enjoy work and flexible hours, good team, nice managerGood payUniform providedCan work at multiple placesCan work near to homeVery good

Decent Workplace for second job

Easy work that is pretty straightforward and repetitive. Decent pay for the tasks that are required. Some stores have plenty of hours whilst others have very little. Pretty flexible for casual

Absolutely loved working at coles but wasTerminated due to no on going refresher courses

Was terminated due to something I did that I didn’t know was wrong after 8 years of employment. Lack of training and support . Your just a number at the end of the day. Very disappointed

Low pay rate, not worth it

Job was not difficult but the pay was terrible and hours are not enough to be honest.. People were alright and there are occasional events with food but still overall would not recommend

Pros

Nice people

Cons

Low pay

Its okay if you work for a short period.

It's okay if you work for a short period at coles. The work expected from you exceeds the longer you stay. Stressful if the manager can't handle it properly. I had to start my shifts late even after arriving 30 mins early due to the handling of the situations by the manager.The benefits they provide are also good for the most part.

Good team mates and good pay

I liked working here and with my team mates, good work/life balance, good team work and communication. store manager was rude though she’s not their anymore

Pros

Fun environment

Cons

Expected to stay back sometimes

Poor casual shifting conditions

They are good for highschool students or early Uni students, but with no room to advance, and inconsistent hours where the management is more focused on the puzzle of rostering than the people

Repetitive and thankless

Only a tolerable job if you have decent coworkers, managers often disappear for hours at a time. You're asked to go above and beyond for mediocre pay which often doesn't feel worth it.

Pros

Easy interview process

Cons

Tiring

An alright place to work

I love working at Coles as it was good to get over my anxiety. Talking to customers and interacting with new people was good. However, my second manager was a terrible manager and made working at Coles, miserable. It was a terrible experience working under this lady and I really did not enjoy it. If your manager is not good, you will want to quit as this is what is leading me to quit my job working here at Coles.

Hard work

The work is very physically intensive if you end up working in any department other than customer service, and even then it has it's moments. Management and Coworkers were alright.

Good pay, nice co workers, fun environment

Fairly easy to pick up and doesn't require much previous experience. Its pretty relaxed but can become fast paced really quickly when it gets busy. Hard to talk to other co-workers as you are always stuck at a register but management is really relaxed and you get to do a range of different things at the store when it isn't busy, like putting loose stock away, tidying the baskets, self checkout.It's a pretty good job with really good pay and benefits.

Great Job

Great management and leaders, very fast-paced with a high work load but it keeps you busy and the time flies. The pay is good and the experience gained is worth it.

First job in high school

First job in high school. Bit of a right of passage for teenagers to work a lousy job at a supermarket. Low pay. No roster, zero hour contract. Would call you 15mins before they wanted you to start a shift. Nasty manager with unrealistic expectations

Very fun and relaxed

It was a nice environment to work in, managers and coworkers were all nice. But due to the location, it was usually quiet and not much to do. Still was a very good experience.

Pros

Nice Co-workers

Cons

Irregular Shifts

Great pay and work environment

It's a great place to work as a student who is either studying part-time or full time. Great first job. Learn new skills and improve on existing skills. Fairly relaxing but physically demanding.

Pros

Great pay 5% to 10% discount during Christmas Relaxed

Cons

One or two shifts per week

Not fun, not good

the time at coles was bad and i did not like it, mainly due to bias and poor management that favors some and chooses to neglect others for reasons unknown

fun - good learning

was really goodenjoyed it good experience worked with friendsworking at coles through schooling was good as I was able to earn money and save!and work after school.

Very good! But poor management

Working in Coles services doing cleaning and trolley collecting, is an easy job- extremely brain dead. After working at maccas coles services feels very relaxed and easy. Coles services gives you lots of opportunity for training and advancement! And the possibility to move into Coles if you get friendly with management.

Not a good place to work, very stressful and tired. No feel for respect.

Worked in almost 4 stores in Melbourne. The company depends from place to place. Usually, it is hard to find a supportive manager, they just want large amounts of work to be done in a shorter period of time. All they care is about saving money.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Coles. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Coles
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?