Coles Employee Reviews

Found 2,339 reviews matching the search See all 2,415 reviews
Good and organised
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Alice Springs NT21 May 2019
Helpful and supportive team around you makes work enjoyable and interesting. If willing to work then hours are not an issue. Management depends on manager of store and section.
Pros
good amount of shifts
terrible management plus unsafe environment
Checkout Assistant (Current Employee) –  Berkeley NSW18 May 2019
I've been threatened and abused. the pay is terrible no shifts due to them trying to save money and management is the worst. they couldn't even manage to get there heads out of their behinds.
Pros
free food & coffee during breaks
Cons
short shifts, underpaid, bad management, lack of security
Not too good put on for different shifts than originally don’t ask for half a day off for ur birthday they don’t give
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA17 May 2019
Not too pleasant place to work,not run good as you would expect a big company to run and don’t ever know where you stand refer to my summery as in above
Pros
Nice employees
Cons
Supervisors and shift changes
Great time of my life back in the day
Point of Sales Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Lane Cove NSW16 May 2019
Great bunch of people and management. Learnt a great deal in those years to set me up for my career path. A lot has changed from those days but a good company to work for.
Avoid Coles
Filler (Former Employee) –  Victoria15 May 2019
Terrible place to work in. The maximum hours one will get is 15 hours a week. They don`t care about their staff and there is no career progression. Young people are exploited for cheap labour and older workers get less shifts because they cost more. Coles is also rampant with nepotism. If you are a mate of the boss you get looked after, even if they are no good at their job. SDA union was useless and does nothing to help struggling workers in poverty. Avoid like the plague!!!
Pros
Cons
Not enough hours.
Fun workplace
Night Filler (Current Employee) –  Mandurah WA12 May 2019
Amazing environment and workers to be apart of, work is pretty straightforward but in no way as easy as everyone thinks, I’m currently employed at Coles and I’m loving every minute of it.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Late nights
Great learning environment if you want it to be
VARIOUS POSITIONS (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Eastern Suburbs VIC11 May 2019
This was a fantastic learning environment for me. I learnt a lot and as long as you are willing to work hard there are job advancement opportunities to be had.
not a bad place to work if you don't mind short hours and low pay
service, packer, fresh food and stock take (Current Employee) –  Forrestfield WA8 May 2019
packing shelf's, working checkout, self serve and moving drinks and other food items
Learned how to use checkout, how to stock and where to find them fast quick and easy, kept me up to date with my math and my personal skills
Pros
discounts
Cons
low hours, not enough pay, management of staff hours
Never again
Deli Manager (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW8 May 2019
Not a million years would i work with coles again. Always short staffed and underpaid on hours. Worklife balance was non existent.
Underpaid for duties
hardworking delivery service
Customer service agent (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW8 May 2019
Keeping up with your schedule on a day to day basis is the most challenging part of the job, as one interaction with a customer may delay your whole run for the day. Maintaining calm and consistently giving great customer service to all customers is the greatest satisfaction to the job whilst efficiently getting their items to them on time and in good condition.
I do love working there but there are more cons then others
Online Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Central Coast NSW8 May 2019
I love my job as a personal shopper but the other departments hate us which is very hard for us, they also cut my hours way to much but the pay rate is really good
The discount we get is stupid haha,
I love the girls I work with In my team
But higher up don’t understand how much we work and how hard online is if your not up for fast paced on your feet constantly for 4 hours straight even more sometimes look for different department cause it’s a lot of heavy lifting and on your feet kinda job.
And now I’m 21 I get less shifts cause I cost to much now which sucks ahha
Pros
The pay is good I love my girls in my team very flexible place. to work.
Cons
Other departments don’t like online don’t get as many hours as I’d like
Productive snd fun
Range In Charge (Former Employee) –  Lismore NSW6 May 2019
Lots of different career paths to choose from working for this company.
Teams are great and enjoy having a laugh.
Management do their best to make life easy
Pros
Many career paths
Great for work experience
Coles Team Member (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC2 May 2019
Nice work environment. Friendly co-workers and manager. Learned a lot of work-related skills. The hardest part of the job is cleaning but the rest is okay.
Productive workplace
Service Cashier (Current Employee) –  Waurn Ponds VIC1 May 2019
Every shift was on register serving customers. I learned how to be productive while multitasking, while working on my interpersonal skills. The management was a bit average, changing my contracted hours without informing me just hours before I worked
Pros
Staff discount, great group of employees
Cons
Long time to be stationary on register, management a bit average
Great place to start in the workforce
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Beaudesert QLD27 April 2019
Not a bad place to work, decent pay rates and great opportunities for career progression. Not a bad place to have your first job or a long term career.
Enjoy meeting people
Various positions (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth lice Springs National Office Victoria27 April 2019
If in the office answering phones. If on the shop floor dealing with customers. Able to control front of shop. Cleaning and keeping the area I work tidy. Enjoy interacting with all people. The job can also be challenging when a customer is not happy and you have to rectify the situation as quickly as possible without letting a situation get out of control. Sometimes this can be difficult.
pretty great to work with people
Part Time employment as a supervisor (Current Employee) –  Keysborough VIC25 April 2019
workmates are 90% amazing and actually enjoy customer service. We were encouraged to give 100% and it had made our work environment a hundred times more enjoyable.
Fun Workplace
Online Team Member (Former Employee) –  Brisbane24 April 2019
Easy but fast paced work, fun and supportive team.
Management were understanding and supportive
workplace culture was laid back
Hardest part of job was dealing with the pace of work during the busy periods.
Most enjoyable part of the job was the other employees.
10 years across multiple departments
Team member (Current Employee) –  Wollongong NSW23 April 2019
10 years at coles, mostly have negative things to say.
6 months ago I hit 10 years, still have not been recognized for this, which just shows how appreciated you really are in the company.

I have worked across multiple departments and one things that remains the same is the pressure to get the job done but no staff to do so.
New agreement does not work in your favour when it comes to getting shifts. I used to do split shifts (morning then night) to utilize the hours i got.. now its no longer allowed. A break must be given after 4 hours, which seems good except you are given 3.75 hour shifts so they avoid that.

Good departments to work in: fresh produce, grocery , point of sales.
Pros
Multiple departments meaning more options to choose from, the pay is generous, the breaks are generous, can work at multiple stores
Cons
No consistency with managers, progression in the company is false hope and a dead end usually
Good experice, long hours
Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC22 April 2019
Working for coles specifically in customer service was a great learning experience t. The staff was for the most part warm and welcoming, i did find that at some points in time my hours were quite rediculous and left me with little to no time for myself. But appart from that its great for a first time job and to get some experience.
Pros
Experience, good first time job
Cons
long hours and blackout periods

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Coles. Our community is ready to answer.