Coles Employee Reviews in Cairns QLD

Found 25 reviews matching the search See all 2,459 reviews
Store Managers didn't care about Uni students or their classes
Nightfill Associate (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD29 May 2019
The managers at the store I worked at did not adhere to the store policy of helping uni students and when told about it, brushed it off like they didn't need to.follow the policy.
As a team member I developed a friendship with the other store team members in all departments.
Supervisor and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cairns Central3 January 2019
I enjoyed my time in Coles at Cairns Central, developed some great friendships with both other team members and customers . I went through a very hard time when I separated from my ex husband who was an alcoholic and gambler. I lost my house and found out that in the last 7 years he had fraudently re financed our house and that the housing repayments hadn’t been paid for 6 months and that our mortgage had doubled and they were foreclosing. As you can imagine it was an absolutely devastating time for my youngest son who was still living at home with me. He also worked at Coles Cairns Central (and still does) and the support we got from management and team members was invaluable. We would not have got through this without the support we received.
Pros
Supportive from both management and other team members.
Cons
No cons, unwillingly left my job due to medical reasons.
Good working atmosphere, loved it there
Team Member/Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD6 December 2018
- Typically received shifts between 4 to 6 hours
- The deli was very full on, but manageable
- coworkers were friendly and understanding
- pay was good; as a 17 yr old I was earning just over $16 an hour on week days
- costumers were generally friendly
Pros
good pay, good atmosphere
Cons
the deli is very busy
coles
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cairns QLD12 September 2018
i was told when i went into the interview being a highschool student that i would only be expected to work one day of a weekend because they understood i needed a balance between school, work and life but then they put me on two shifts every weekend.
I worked my way from customer sales assistant to team/store manager.
Customer Service/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Manunda, Cairns13 June 2017
Working in a quite store made my position very constructive and easy to deal with. I learned excellent independent and team qualities and skills. Management had strong enthusiasm, high motivation, allowing for versatility and having/being a competent based employee. Workplace culture was very diverse and sociable.Hardest part of the position wasn't really a part of the stores nature and business. Most enjoyable part of the job, was having reliability, friendliness, trustworthiness, honesty, flexibility and sociability.
Pros
Easy access, free parking, friendly customers
Cons
Having less customers (being a small store), less work in the store
I love Coles and I love working for Coles. I grew so much with the company and built a great relationships with workers and customers
Coles deli team member (Current Employee) –  Cairns QLD23 February 2017
Coles for me opened up experience for me with customer services and gave me the knowledge on how to deal with people, emergencies and good or bad situations. Great place to work.
Stressful,always busy
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD27 January 2017
Typical day was scanning 100's of items bought by customers ,dealing with customers and stock. Keeping your area of work clean.
Hard work, lack of communication
Cleaner - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD12 January 2017
If better communication between management it would be better. Lack of staff meant harder working conditions and the job culture was very divisive and constant mental gymnastics.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Hard work
great staff to work with
Team Member Bottleshop & Drive Thru Attendant (Current Employee) –  Cairns QLD9 November 2016
my co-workers are a great team to work with, we are supportive and helpful to each other, I am happy to be a part of this team.
fun place to work in
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  cairns qld12 June 2016
I have been at coles for nearly 10 years i have progressed from being a team member to the instore trainer to now assistant manager and a team trainer still my years here have taught me a lot a days work is pretty full on on running a store,managing your team members,and always having everything under control but it is so enjoyable and the best part of my day is doing our customer of the day
Staff are horrible to customers
Shopper (Former Employee) –  Cairns26 April 2016
Evil bullying staff work in coles in cairns. They pick on tourists and accuse them of shop lifting. There is a particular evil mentally ill one who regularly picks on innocent customers. They other staff stand by and let it happen. Weak management. These nutters should not be allowed to work there.
Pros
Cons
Mentally ill staff
application process
no (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD1 February 2016
after filling out 7 pages of info for a base job the $tupid and very long process the blo@dy thing wont submit.
not only will i not apply for any more jobs here i will not shop at coles again, food fuel or booze, and I will start a campaign amongst my friends and associates to car pool to shop further away, plenty of time to organize people to go elsewhere to buy there cheap imported food.
Pros
Cons
made in china, destroying the Australian way of life
productive and fun environment
Customer service assistant (Former Employee) –  Cairns, QLD12 January 2016
everyone got along great, worked as a team however still worked efficiently and were productive. Great management even greater team.
productive workplace
team member to first in charge manager (Current Employee) –  Cairns QLD5 January 2016
great team enviroment, supportive management, just has long hours from 3pm - midnight, great learning opportunities and team member benefits.
Little communication between staff and Dept. Managers
Shop Assistant (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Cairns, QLD20 September 2015
Coles used to be a good company to work for, but as the expectations of what the company wants from its employee's increases, so to does the amount left over. This increases, what should be a relatively stress free job, everyone's stress levels because only those who can 'perform' get the extra hours.
Pros
Free coffee and fruit.
Cons
High stress, lack of hours per week, constanly on-call.
Supermarket
Cleaning Contractor (Former Employee) –  Cairns, QLD11 September 2015
My experience was good. I was enjoyed my job and i want to work in same field again because i have experience with this job.
Pros
Cons
Short hours
busy and enjoyable
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cairns, QLD11 August 2015
deli 10-7pm start the day by putting chiller and freezer loads away, ordering of stock, temperature check of hot box, and severing of customers. at 5 o'clock i was the only senior team member in the deli, i had to maintain energy levels and make sure the pre-close duties such as ovens cleaned, chickens racked up for the next day and 1 slicer cleaned before i left at 7pm.
Management were wondering very understand and easy to approach.
hardest part of my job was one boy in my department didnt like working and did bear minimum, when he didnt do a job i asked i approached management as i was over working.
my customers were the best part of my day, especially when i'd have a couple that would wait for me to serve them.
Pros
customers, excellent colleagues
Cons
no social life
Productive workplace although I feel as though I was treated unfairly.
Bakery Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cairns, QLD19 April 2015
On a typical day I would start at 6am which was not ideal. I was only given weekend work and a usual week would consist of 10 hours. I was underpaid by a fair margin.
Pros
Every few weeks we would get a free breakfast
Cons
Not enough hours and underpaid
Safe,friendly & respectable work environment
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  DFO,Cairns,QLD,Australia15 January 2015
This firm take very good care of their employees. They have brought best out of me.Employee Benefits are very good, career advancement I consider it to be a personal matter not only if the company offers you a promotion you have an opportunity but if you are willing to learn other aspects of the business I think is up to you to find those opportunities.
Pros
shopping benefits
Cons
Doing late night hours sometimes
Unorganised and miserable
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cairns, QLD3 November 2014
The most enjoyable part of that job is to zone out and put things on the shelf. The hardest part is dealing with managers, 2ic's and the such; all of whom always think they are right. A typical day is hair-whitening stressful and clumsy due to lack of communication and a massive amount of work that needs to be completed.
Cons
Long hours, hard and heavy labour, on-call

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Coles. Our community is ready to answer.