Coles Employee Reviews in Melbourne VIC

Found 184 reviews matching the search See all 2,443 reviews
Great for work experience
Coles Team Member (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC2 May 2019
Nice work environment. Friendly co-workers and manager. Learned a lot of work-related skills. The hardest part of the job is cleaning but the rest is okay.
Good experice, long hours
Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC22 April 2019
Working for coles specifically in customer service was a great learning experience t. The staff was for the most part warm and welcoming, i did find that at some points in time my hours were quite rediculous and left me with little to no time for myself. But appart from that its great for a first time job and to get some experience.
Pros
Experience, good first time job
Cons
long hours and blackout periods
Love the.job didn't.enjoy the culture
Sales Assistant/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC10 April 2019
Working for Coles I was.hardworking and passionate about my job but suffered as an employee.because of poor management and bully culture that exists at Coles. It's was a job that I'd never leave but.eventually had to.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Poor management
Free overtime culture
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Australia7 April 2019
Coles offers a reliable job, with moment of flexibility. However, it has created a culture of lower level managers (non-salary) who are pressured into and expected to work many hours of overtime for free. This is not unique to individual stores, but a trait I have seen through several stores, and from all account is a company-wide blemish. Workplace culture is generally negative, with low morale. This culminates in the majority of employees only staying there because "It is easy/safe/comfortable", rather than working for the company on its own merits.
Pros
reliable
Cons
Toxic workplace culture
Damaged corporate Culture
Department Relief Manager (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC29 March 2019
The corporate culture is bad. The profit of the business is more important than paying employees for work they have done. In the small store I have worked in, there have been 3-5 employees a week getting underpaid.
mundane tasks with no variaton over a long period of time
Coles work experience (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC4 March 2019
management was terrible and did not train and prepare new employees properly. The managers do not care about their staff and disregard them as people. They only care about their work and not about their work can effect their outside life.
Modern work environment, flexible, easy to adapt.
Retail sales workers (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC3 March 2019
My experience at Coles was fairly good. A typical day consistent of, upon arriving at work, partaking in various jobs and socializing on the go. The workplace culture was great, modern, simple and flexible. The management, in my experience, was good, jobs were being done and visible progress could be seen. The best part of the Job was helping customers find a specific aisle. while the worst part was learning the layout of the store.
Pros
Reasonable breaks
Great place to work as a student
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC26 February 2019
Coles was a good place to work while studying. Depending on your manager you can have plenty of time to study and socialise. But certain practises of Coles was not good.
Can be a easy place to work
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC5 February 2019
I work 4am to 9am shifts as a cleaner (recovery clean) relatively easy
Sweep the produce area
Mop/use a machine to do the store floors and the back
Trolley collecting

If you finish quick i suggest you go back and sweep the produce cause people mess it legit while youre cleaning lol just clean as you go really
Not really a hard job its pretty brain dead just got to have common sense
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Nice place to work, once used to working.
Customer Service Representative (Part Time) (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC4 February 2019
Good place to work at. Would have been better if the head office did themselves, as much as they require the team members to do. Work force is chill, majority of the work done there is easy and straigh tforward .
Pros
Team member benefits, like discounted movie tickets.
Well balanced and organised workplace.
Team Member (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC19 January 2019
Coles offered me a fantastic first job experience. I learnt so much from other team members about work life culture and the responsible ways to conduct yourself in the workforce. The pay for a casual team member was very good and the Sunday rates were also phenomenal, but as soon as I turned 18, I began receiving one shift a week (3 hours) which is not substantial for a Univeristy student. Overall, I think Coles is a fantastic company to work for.
Pros
Sunday rates
Cons
Long periods standing in the one position
Not good if you are a casual
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Australia16 January 2019
I was employed September 2017 as a casual and only did 1 shift. I was given another shift or 2 but at very late notice. Manager said she would add me to FB page as shifts were more accurate in there as opposed to the actual rota. I kept waiting for a shift and to be added to page but after 3 or so months they ended up deleting me from the database where I could view my shifts/information and I never heard from them again. Very unprofessional.
Pros
Pay for casuals is good
Cons
Bad communication, don't really care for their workers
It's a OK place to work
TEAM MEMBER (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC16 January 2019
I was working at a Coles supermarket as a team member. It wasn't the best job, but it was alright. The culture depends on the management and their politics.
Fun workplace
Duty Manager/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC27 December 2018
- Great team members and managers.
- Flexible hours and rosters.
- Paid annual leave and sick leave.
- Perks from work for shopping and petrol.
- Discounted movie tickets for team members.
Retail at Coles
Service Team Member (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC19 November 2018
Coles is great for individuals just starting out or those who have basic experience in retail. Being at Coles for 4 years though seems to be very repetitive and hard work doesn't always pay off by moving up in the business.
A good place to work as a student
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC11 November 2018
Coles is a great place to work as a student, it's not a career choice it is just a job that comes with a good salary and benefits such as superannuating.
Pros
good pay and benifits
Cons
boring work
fun work place
Team Member - Warehousing (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC30 October 2018
• Working safely and promoting safety regulations throughout the facility
• Perform inventory controls and keep quality standards high for audits
• Keeping work area clean and orderly
• Keep a clean and safe working environment and optimize space utilization
• Accurately pick and pack orders
Pros
employees discounts
Cons
very less shifts available
my review
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC10 October 2018
My usual duties entail me to dress appropriately, be on time and always put our customers first.

I have been taught at Coles Supermarket to be adaptive, professional and how to treat and act towards customers and to always provide exceptional customer service.

However, at my store I feel like we all don't get a fair share of moving around and trying different things, or being acknowledged when it is needed.

The most enjoyable part of my job is to make sure I have left customers happy and satisfied with the service they have received and will want to come back.
Pros
5% Discount, Security, looked after
Cons
no fair share, no acknowledgment to team members, favoritism.
Productive, well-developed environment and open to everyone.
Stacker (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC3 October 2018
Worked like a permanent worker, got along with most people quite easily. Hardest part was not knowing what customers want because I wasn't well-versed in terminologies and productions.
Pros
Communicate freely
Cons
Long hours, Standing.
high stress job for basic pay
Deli assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC12 September 2018
Never a thank you, everyone is overworked and under appreciated, no work life balance and always cutting everyone’s hours to save money where they can.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Coles. Our community is ready to answer.