Coles Employee Reviews for Cashier

Found 136 reviews matching the search See all 2,417 reviews
terrible management plus unsafe environment
Checkout Assistant (Current Employee) –  Berkeley NSW18 May 2019
I've been threatened and abused. the pay is terrible no shifts due to them trying to save money and management is the worst. they couldn't even manage to get there heads out of their behinds.
Pros
free food & coffee during breaks
Cons
short shifts, underpaid, bad management, lack of security
Good experice, long hours
Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC22 April 2019
Working for coles specifically in customer service was a great learning experience t. The staff was for the most part warm and welcoming, i did find that at some points in time my hours were quite rediculous and left me with little to no time for myself. But appart from that its great for a first time job and to get some experience.
Pros
Experience, good first time job
Cons
long hours and blackout periods
Just your average first job
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Ellenbrook WA27 March 2019
Didn't really have a bad experience here. Was my first job so wasn't expecting too much out of it. Co-workers were all great, most of the management were cool and the pay, for a 14 year old wasn't bad.
Pros
Discount
a fun filled place to work where we meet a variety of people to serve, a management always happy to help sort out problems and ready to teach and shar
Cashier/Checkout Operator (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Miranda NSW7 March 2019
A platform where one can develop a good command of communication, patience, management skills as well as a quality to handle the stress and pressure whilst cheering the entire day. The management team is one of the best part I have ever found here as they always encourage us to learn new things everyday and provide us chances to improve in our flaws, if any.
The staffs are very cooperative, friendly and supportive at all the times and happy to share the knowledge one attains. The most favourite part of the day is the busiest time of the day when I observe myself enjoying the rush time while doing my duty in a smooth and well-organised way.
Pros
cooperative staffs and management
Cons
less opportunities to upgrade into something new, less hours
Great Team like family
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Goulburn15 February 2019
Was nice to have the social aspect in you're career, Meeting new people was interesting and you learn new things daily.
The workplace environment was always friendly and kind of like family which made it that much easier to get up daily and go to work.
The managers were always willing to help you in any avenue, Such as trying new departments and any issues that may arise.
The whole dynamic was great thoroughly enjoyed working for coles
Having the opportunity to work in different departments such as Deli etc was a great learning curve and brought up other opportunities in the customer service field.
I would probably say the hardest part of the job was the number of hours in which you stand, can be quite painfull although they do accommodate by having rubber mats.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Standing for long periods of time
Great job for people studying
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Kippa-Ring QLD29 January 2019
Coles accommodates its staff well and gives them long enough breaks. Good part time job for nights or weekends if you are studying. Can be hard with difficult customers, if worked in retail before than that wont be new to you.
Very socialble
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toowoomba QLD24 January 2019
This job had me talking to customers 24/7, i enjoyed the challenge but there was some nasty customer complaints i had to deal with. I would have continued to work at coles if i hadn't have moved area.
Salary was ok
Checkout Assistant (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA20 January 2019
The workers were lovely and made lots of friends there. However the managers weren't the kindest. The pay was good for my age whilst working there and is a good starting job
A friendly and comforting environment to work in
Checkout Cashier (Former Employee) –  Glenferrie VIC15 January 2019
Having Coles as my first job was great, it was a relaxing environment and the hours were flexible. Serving the customers continuously has helped me to develop a great customer service attitude, also confidence with communication. I have also learnt different types of fresh produce, such as identifying varieties of apples or pears, tomatoes, etc through items that the customer purchases.
Working with colleagues of diverse cultures were great and helped us in building a good teamwork, especially during the weekend service.
Cons
Too relaxing or boring
Standard Workplace
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Lindfield NSW28 November 2018
Management is all over the place, a typical day at work would be very hard due to a lack of scheduling staff.

Very cheap with contracts; ensure you check which contract you sign before working in order to receive your designated hours.
Pros
very interactive
Cons
Standing all day
Enjoyable place to work for with strong managerial structures.
Service Cashier (Current Employee) –  Launceston TAS17 October 2018
coles is large business with strong managerial structures and a good overall place to work for. Hours can be hard to come by at times with the higher up management at times seeming to only consider the maximum profits and not employees.
No personal growth
Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Launceston TAS16 August 2018
When you first join Coles, they promise a future with them, training you to the best standards in customer service and opportunity to exceed at higher levels. They give you all these hours and soon as a minor comes along, seniors are left out, due to wages. There is no personal growth in the company and managers only acknowledge the favourites. I was left on the register with a customer for fifteen minutes and still the supervisor wouldn't come to me to approve a clearance, which I wasn't aloud to do myself. Training was very poor and not what you call professional.
Pros
Customers / Teams members
Cons
No hours, Managers
productive and organised work
Checkout Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW15 August 2018
easy to learn and helpful system of progression. Good and helpful culture and store organisation. Working with the different workers was very fun. It was easy to correct mistakes
Pros
lunches
Cons
Is a lovely environment to work in
Service Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ulladulla NSW13 August 2018
A typical day at Coels Ulladulla is very busy, there is always something to do. The hardest part of working at Coles is dealing with angry customers, though you just have to learn to bite your tongue and deal with it in the nicest possible way.
Pros
Lovely Staff
Cons
Long Hours Can Drag On
Very hard on body
Checkout Cashier (Former Employee) –  Blackwood SA21 June 2018
I very much disliked working at Coles strongly due to the unprofessional environment and not very nice management. The job was very harsh on body and didnt like very much.
Pros
Short hours
Cons
Hard on body
No morale
Service Cashier (Current Employee) –  Various stores1 June 2018
Management dont care about you unless youre their favourite. Team members dont care about working in a team. Management are major bullies. This one in particular is the worst store ive worked at. Management care more about their bonuses than their workers well being.
Productive and fun work place
Service Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mornington Peninsula VIC21 May 2018
I am a cashier at Coles Mornington and I enjoy having conversations with people who come through. I’ve learned quite a lot from the company such as working machinery and dealing with aggressive type customers.
Great pep
Checkout operator (Former Employee) –  Narrogin WA18 May 2018
Cleaning and opening of store getting newspapers ready till and floats are counted. Then start selling. Greeting customers helping find items they could not find packing bags
Pros
Full time work.
Cons
Moved away from area.
Friendly workplace, poor training
Checkout operator (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD16 May 2018
I had an overall good experience working at Coles. Everyone was very supportive and friendly, although they never gave me the proper training which left me very anxious to go to work and I ended up making a lot of mistakes because of this. Management realised they never gave me the proper training and apologised although never did anything about it.
Pros
Great team environment
Cons
Lack of training
checkout operator
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Griffith NSW14 May 2018
A typical day included working at the checkout, or anywhere that needed assistance, I learned a lot in this job, since it was my first proper job, it allowed me to build my confidence and also improve with my conversational skills. I built strong relationships with my co-workers and realised I can adapt to different situations and peoples very quickly. My favourite part of working at coles would be the fact i could to interact with new people every day. The hardest part would be not being able to change sides every 2 hours during peak hours as this resulted in sore back and arms occasionally
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
sore arms

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Coles. Our community is ready to answer.