Coles Employee Reviews for Deli Associate

Found 102 reviews matching the search See all 2,417 reviews
Loved my role as 2ic great support through department manager
Coles Team Member deli 2IC (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD9 April 2019
My duties in this role where very demanding but very rewarding . I was trusted with the day to day running of this department and thanked everydayday for the work i accomplished. Team members worked together as a team taking pride in their work . My department manager never asked us to do something unless she had also done it was definitely a role model . In closing i have to say always woke up wanting to go to work even in the busy times EASTER ,CHRISTMAS ,was always a challenge .
Pros
Discounts across several stores
Cons
Cleaning a deli at end of day not an easy job .
Not good if you are a casual
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Australia16 January 2019
I was employed September 2017 as a casual and only did 1 shift. I was given another shift or 2 but at very late notice. Manager said she would add me to FB page as shifts were more accurate in there as opposed to the actual rota. I kept waiting for a shift and to be added to page but after 3 or so months they ended up deleting me from the database where I could view my shifts/information and I never heard from them again. Very unprofessional.
Pros
Pay for casuals is good
Cons
Bad communication, don't really care for their workers
Good working atmosphere, loved it there
Team Member/Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD6 December 2018
- Typically received shifts between 4 to 6 hours
- The deli was very full on, but manageable
- coworkers were friendly and understanding
- pay was good; as a 17 yr old I was earning just over $16 an hour on week days
- costumers were generally friendly
Pros
good pay, good atmosphere
Cons
the deli is very busy
Stressful and Disappointing
Deli Assistant (Current Employee) –  Queensland6 December 2018
Coles does not practice their ethics of looking after their team. Management is only worried about getting more money in their pocket and cut staff hours but increase work load and expect it to be done under realistic times. No empathy or understanding that someone cannot live on 13 hours a week. Prices are down down but so is staff priority.
Cons
Unreliable hours
A very fast pace workplace but a lot of benefits inside
Deli Team Member (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW9 November 2018
Working for a big supermarket like Coles was a really great experience. I met a lot of very nice and friendly people, even though it's a very fasy pace workplace, the job doesn't feel as a burden as the teamwork makes everything a lot more easier. It's a very good workplace, I learn a lot of different things as working for Deli department from making pizza to seafood area and sliced meat and cheese.
Pros
Awesome workplace and co-worker
Cons
Short shift for casual international student
Good retail work
Deli Assistant/Baker/Grocery (Former Employee) –  Chisholm ACT5 November 2018
I enjoyed working at Coles for many years. I worked in a variety of departments throughout the supermarket and overall the work culture was positive, I enjoyed working in close teams to get things done.
However, the worst parts of the job were that support from management was often lacking and there was a lack of opportunity for progression and stability.
productive time
Part Time, Deli worker (Former Employee) –  Redbank Plains QLD15 October 2018
a good job, always working even if there is no one in sight, always refiling the stock, so the customers can get fresh meat when they order. It was a pleasure working with such wonderful people at the time i was working, getting to know them properly for 10 months was wonderful
Cons
high stress job for basic pay
Deli assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC12 September 2018
Never a thank you, everyone is overworked and under appreciated, no work life balance and always cutting everyone’s hours to save money where they can.
It's good experience at work place
Deli Team Member (Current Employee) –  Alice Springs NT9 September 2018
It's good supermarket.work a lot always there.
They giving us choices which department you would like to work..always learning new skills
Offer us benefits .
I am at deli department it's great place
Pros
Discount always offer
deli assistent
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD9 July 2018
just worked in the deli nothing special really, pretty much just get paid by the hour to be spoken down by management and then by customers. work life balance is great though.
Overall good company to work for
DELI ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Curtin ACT1 July 2018
Have overall enjoyed working in Coles but difficulty getting time off or adjusting work schedule to meet my needs as a university student. The work is also largely physical and can lead to injuries.
Pros
good pay
Deli work
Deli Member (Former Employee) –  Yeppoon QLD29 June 2018
Not glamorous work at all, I constantly came home smelling like a fish. Hours were good though and being at coles they have to be legit with sick pay, leave etc.
Love my team members, upper management on the other hand
Deli Assistant (Current Employee) –  Adelaide SA18 June 2018
All team members that I have worked with have always been hard-working, very hard-working to the point where some are doing the job of a manager for no extra pay or acknowledgment. Upper management have no idea what actually happens on the shop floor and unrealistic expectations-when you give more, all they want is more. Hours during the summer months are quite generous and fair however, winter months are a different story.
Pros
Fellow team members
Cons
Unrealistic expectations from upper management
Actually wasn’t bad at all
Deli Team Member (Former Employee) –  Perth WA2 June 2018
I worked in the deli department, and it was quite enjoyable, I wasn’t a fan of the boss, but that just comes with work. The people I worked with were friendly, the customers usually lovely.
Pros
Not much pressure, no cash handling, easy going
Cons
Having to wear a hair net!!
The Continuation of going concern in jobs is merely like unsustainable
Delicatessen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pagewood NSW25 April 2018
At the time I start the work, The Company merely like to recruit Casual. And the Turnover of employees are likely very high, It's very fair if the rotation required for more refreshement
Fast-paced workplace
Delicatessen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Keilor Downs VIC4 March 2018
Over the years, I have been lucky enough to have excellent department managers. I learnt how to deal with a diversity of customers and prioritise tasks in a fast-paced environment.
Pros
Flexible with school
Cons
Hours reduced
standard
Deli Team Member (Current Employee) –  Lalor VIC19 February 2018
work place and other team memebers are nice. typical day includes a lot of customer service and cleaning around. Hardest part would be the actual closing process on a closing shift or the place getting too busy on a day shift.
Pros
customers mostly nice
Cons
very hard to find someone thats willing to let you go on a break
ok
Deli team member (Former Employee) –  Wodonga VIC18 February 2018
I had a lot of experience as my first time job. didnt mind it but was very full on at times. i wanted to be placed around the store and have more experience but wasnt aloud only had to stay in the deli. otherwise was fine to work at
Pros
money
Cons
not getting placed around the store like i asked
Great starting point
Delicatessen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ballarat VIC29 January 2018
I personally think Coles is a good place to at least start working in the workforce. I quite enjoyed my role working there and happened to stay there a lot longer. I’ve learnt so much being there. And as I ha e been there for a while I’ve met so many people, especially since I’ve o lay been in the one department for the 15 years.
Pros
Meeting new people. Learning different skills. Having fun while working.
actually apart from the downs.. .good company to work for
deli asstant (Former Employee) –  shepparton victoria27 January 2018
loved talking to custormers and helping them . always custormers left smiling and with gratitude :), what i learned all stores are not the same .. management instore need to be retrained how to treat staff members as they are only treated as a numbers way to much bulling in store which managment get away with... im old school everyone should be treated with respect and honesty. .. hardest part of job is working with bullies and harresment... the most enjoyable part of job, is dealing with customers and making them happy and satisfied, .and being busy all the time ..

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Coles. Our community is ready to answer.