Coles Management reviews

Found 784 reviews matching the search See all 2,443 reviews
Good work culture, flexible hours but management sucks.
Bakery Team Member (Former Employee) –  NSW24 June 2019
Had this job to make some money while studying. Hours weren't really consistent as a casual but it was a good side job and it does make a difference if you put effort into your work. The job was definitely challenging as there's a ton of pressure on the bakery to get things out at a certain time, but it was ok when management and team were working cohesively. People that I worked with were lovely and supportive which made it a good experience as well. When management changed, it was much harder to handle. There was added pressure on the team to a push more products, be more efficient with time and other impossible standards which upper management didn't get. Pretty much thought everything could be done at the snap of your fingers. Ended up leaving because of their lack of care towards the team, no appreciation and unfair workload set by manager that would generally take up your breaks and go over shift hours.
Pros
5% discount for Coles, Kmart, Target etc., Casual rates
Cons
Impossible standards when you work in a busy store, management works against you
Downcast, unfair workplace
Nightfill Associate (Current Employee) –  Healesville VIC24 June 2019
At Coles, (my store in particular) you are not rewarded for working hard, if anything the opposite, management don't listen. They reward people who are in their middling years over younger faster employees solely because they have a family, rather than rewarding based on skill and speed Coles is a very overall negative place to work and an extremely toxic work environment.
Pros
High wage
Cons
Everything else
Always working
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Belconnen ACT23 June 2019
Work Life Balance
Have great work experience since last 12 years
At times we have some suggestions to the management and are delivered by the management too
Hard Working team environment.
Casual Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Woy Woy NSW20 June 2019
Management was unstable during my time there, seeing 3 managers in 6 months. Staff were very friendly though - made friends for life. The safety procedures and authorisation of fuel can be stressful and is very strict. Corporate is very well put together and there is good support and feedback systems in place.
Pros
good pay
Cons
short breaks
Depending on the store can get very stressful
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Coles Express East Melbourne15 June 2019
Graveyard shifts if you carry out all tasks honestly are very stressful and demanding. You are the only one working there and have to do multitasking. Keeping yourself organized and attentive is a must.
Pros
Friendly job culture excluding the management
Cons
Graveyard shifts are stressful
Good place to work at
Team Member (Current Employee) –  South Australia15 June 2019
Good environment and a decent place to work at gives you great customer experience, you learn new things every day. The management is not great but you the company is improving
Pros
Good pay for start
Cons
Hard work
Good place if you have a good team
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pakenham VIC13 June 2019
If my job didn't require me to work alone most of the time, it would be the perfect place to work.Ever changing management makes it hard to feel secure at times.
Productive and fun work place with customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sydney,NSW13 June 2019
Good working environment with nice team managements with good roaster and salary.Learn to deal with a various types of customers.Sometimes too busy to handle;with the support from team ,made it easier to handle the sitaution and customer in a rush hours.
challenging work environment
Dry Goods Manager/ Grocery Manager (Former Employee) –  Broadway NSW10 June 2019
I have learned a lot through managing people at the workplace with a complex personality and the nature of the retail work in the industry. Every day is a challenge for me both for people and time management against issues in the workplace.

the most interesting parts of my career journey were managing through the changes that my store had while having renovation and customers' satisfaction is being prioritized amongst all the distractions that my store had to go through. However, my whole team and I managed to get through it while maintaining the customers' satisfaction.
Pros
upskill myself with people management and stock management
Don’t recommend.
Team Member (Part Time) (Former Employee) –  Yamba NSW9 June 2019
Management play favourites. You’re constantly given 3-3.5 hour shifts, you’re promised career progression that never eventuates. You’re made to feel bad for taking time off, and receive minimum hours when you come back.
Pros
Friendships made, wages are higher than say an independent company.
Cons
No career progression, company only cares about the shareholders now.
great place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Newcastle NSW7 June 2019
great place to work great team environment, very supportive management ...........it was an absolute pleasure to show up to work everyday......... was the same work everyday but always different
Depends what you're looking for.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW6 June 2019
Coles is good if you're a student, looking for a second job or as an alternative to the dole, but as a sole source of income for any length of time you're going to struggle

Coles are all about budgets and saving money, You're expandable and they don't particularly care about the individual. As a casual, shifts can vary dramatically from week to week. Take things with a pinch of salt until you actually see it happen, management tends to talk the talk, so you'd be forgiven for feeling like you're being taken for a bit of a Muppet.

It helps to be a quick learner as training (in service) is quick and slap dash and the finer details you need to know aren't covered, which makes you look incompetent when a customer requires that service.

If you're looking for a company that want's to invest in YOU. look elsewhere but It's a place where you can arrive, do your shift and go and do it with relative anonymity which I liked.
Pros
Good work life balance. can be close to home.
Cons
lack of rostered hours but short notice calls asking you to work asap
Top Job
Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne Northern Suburbs VIC2 June 2019
Great Place to work. Good and Fair Management. I have learnt a great deal. Very Friendly environment. I have been there nearly 5 years. So that should tell you something
Pros
Great Working with team members and customers
Cons
None Really
working to make a differences
coles worker (Former Employee) –  Queensland1 June 2019
doing your jobs and enjoying it.
learn how to communicate with team members.
learning to communicate with management on different things.
learning about peoples different culture and there countries.
the hardest part about the job is not enough hours to complete tasks.
seeing the jobs you have completed at the end of your shift.
Pros
hot drinks and sometimes we have nibbles
Cons
good place to work
Store Managers didn't care about Uni students or their classes
Nightfill Associate (Former Employee) –  Cairns QLD29 May 2019
The managers at the store I worked at did not adhere to the store policy of helping uni students and when told about it, brushed it off like they didn't need to.follow the policy.
Fantastic uni job, horrific management
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Wollongong28 May 2019
Worked checkout all through university, it was a great flexible job while studying and the team were really fun.

Ruined by horrible manager of checkouts who treated us very badly. Stood behind us while we reviewed her and intimidated us as much as possible. and treated uni students like we were expendable.
Looking at you wollongong figtree.
Pros
flexible, as fun as you want to make it
Cons
don't care about giving you breaks, overlooked bad management.
Job security,but never enough hours
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Western Australia26 May 2019
The people u work with make u want to go to work everyday,its almost like a big family.Unfortunately i can't say the same for management... Absolutely unfair and souless people.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Unfair management
Good and organised
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Alice Springs NT21 May 2019
Helpful and supportive team around you makes work enjoyable and interesting. If willing to work then hours are not an issue. Management depends on manager of store and section.
Pros
good amount of shifts
terrible management plus unsafe environment
Checkout Assistant (Current Employee) –  Berkeley NSW18 May 2019
I've been threatened and abused. the pay is terrible no shifts due to them trying to save money and management is the worst. they couldn't even manage to get there heads out of their behinds.
Pros
free food & coffee during breaks
Cons
short shifts, underpaid, bad management, lack of security
Not too good put on for different shifts than originally don’t ask for half a day off for ur birthday they don’t give
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA17 May 2019
Not too pleasant place to work,not run good as you would expect a big company to run and don’t ever know where you stand refer to my summery as in above
Pros
Nice employees
Cons
Supervisors and shift changes