Coles Employee Reviews

Found 2,340 reviews matching the search See all 2,416 reviews
Good experice, long hours
Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC22 April 2019
Working for coles specifically in customer service was a great learning experience t. The staff was for the most part warm and welcoming, i did find that at some points in time my hours were quite rediculous and left me with little to no time for myself. But appart from that its great for a first time job and to get some experience.
Pros
Experience, good first time job
Cons
long hours and blackout periods
i did not like working there
Bakery Manager Coles Kirrawee (Current Employee) –  Kirrawee NSW18 April 2019
not i nice place to work if you new a manager
they expect you to work long hours without been paid
some co worker are very nice
management very poor
no work life balance
Good working environment with great flexibility and understanding
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cairns City QLD14 April 2019
The working environment is terrific and being a casual, there is lots of flexibility and understanding of work life balance. However, being trying to turn a casual position at Coles into a full time job is very difficult in service as many of mine and my teammates hours are 3 hour shifts. I have come to discover this is not just my store but all Coles stores. However, part time and full time team members don’t so often run into this problem I have found.
Pros
Good management, flexible
Cons
Short shifts (regular 3 hours)
Love the.job didn't.enjoy the culture
Sales Assistant/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC10 April 2019
Working for Coles I was.hardworking and passionate about my job but suffered as an employee.because of poor management and bully culture that exists at Coles. It's was a job that I'd never leave but.eventually had to.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Poor management
Horrible bosses with no regard for anyone but remember
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD9 April 2019
They are Hypocritical
The casual wage is amazing.
The hours weren't at all family friendly, unless you're a boss.
They don't like to put casuals on during the week.
Pros
Work on your own
Cons
No breaks at all
Loved my role as 2ic great support through department manager
Coles Team Member deli 2IC (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD9 April 2019
My duties in this role where very demanding but very rewarding . I was trusted with the day to day running of this department and thanked everydayday for the work i accomplished. Team members worked together as a team taking pride in their work . My department manager never asked us to do something unless she had also done it was definitely a role model . In closing i have to say always woke up wanting to go to work even in the busy times EASTER ,CHRISTMAS ,was always a challenge .
Pros
Discounts across several stores
Cons
Cleaning a deli at end of day not an easy job .
Free overtime culture
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Australia7 April 2019
Coles offers a reliable job, with moment of flexibility. However, it has created a culture of lower level managers (non-salary) who are pressured into and expected to work many hours of overtime for free. This is not unique to individual stores, but a trait I have seen through several stores, and from all account is a company-wide blemish. Workplace culture is generally negative, with low morale. This culminates in the majority of employees only staying there because "It is easy/safe/comfortable", rather than working for the company on its own merits.
Pros
reliable
Cons
Toxic workplace culture
Great business to work for
Manager - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Ingle Farm SA4 April 2019
The only issue is the business has lost site how to retail, they are too much metric driven. The business needs to stop and listen to its experienced team and understand the issues of daily life of the retail business. I understand the business needs to grow and make a profit, but at what cost.
Pros
Job security
Like working as a slave
Dry Goods (Grocery) Manager (Current Employee) –  Perth WA4 April 2019
As a manager far too much expected. Hours worked never reflect pay. Store leaders are good but from regional manager upwards, there is no care for people. Oh they "talk the talk" but the reality is far from the rhetoric
Pros
Job sesurity I guess
Cons
Everything else
Good environment
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Fitzroy VIC3 April 2019
Completed work experience at coles Fitzroy. It provided me with experience to develop my customer service skills in fast paced environment. I enjoyed the experience and want to build on this in conjunction with my studies
Good working environment
Night Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Noble Park VIC2 April 2019
Good working environment, plenty of room for flexibility for working hours and have good benefits. Can get physically frustrating at times but apart from that, good place to work.
My experience
cashier & supervisor, deli, bakery & grocery (Current Employee) –  Laurieton NSW2 April 2019
While working with Coles, I learnt a lot about myself as well as working in a team environment. I enjoyed assisting customers throughout the store up until they walked out the door. I got along with my work colleagues.
Not great
Customer Service Operator (Former Employee) –  Greenacres SA31 March 2019
If you are a teenager looking to get a job for after school pocket money, but then feel pressured to stay with the promise of moving up into a supervisor/management role, then look no further.
Pros
Varied work hours
Cons
Doesn't deliver on promises
Damaged corporate Culture
Department Relief Manager (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC29 March 2019
The corporate culture is bad. The profit of the business is more important than paying employees for work they have done. In the small store I have worked in, there have been 3-5 employees a week getting underpaid.
Great First Job
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Perth WA28 March 2019
Was a great experience getting into the work industry as a young teenager, It gave the experience and knowledge to carry on to further job positions. Also helped boost up my confidence with talking aloud to people in public places
Just your average first job
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Ellenbrook WA27 March 2019
Didn't really have a bad experience here. Was my first job so wasn't expecting too much out of it. Co-workers were all great, most of the management were cool and the pay, for a 14 year old wasn't bad.
Pros
Discount
good company for new workers
Liquorland Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Forster NSW24 March 2019
great company for new ages people trying to get in the workforce. can always find a new set of skills or make a new job career with a lot to offer. great work culture.
Efficient and productive work culture
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Eastern Suburbs VIC19 March 2019
Coles is a big company, they have many employees, when working there, the management team was great and they help you with many things. Such as: Customer service, facing, stocking, organizing, being proactive (cleaning things when needed).

It can be tiring, but its a overall great experience and fun work place to be in. It has great benefits such as discount of purchase of groceries.
Pros
Discounts
Very productive
Coles Team Member (Former Employee) –  Browns Plains QLD19 March 2019
when I first started, I was a bit shy and didn't really enjoy it. Then later as the week went by, I found it very interesting and fun. Then when the week was over I was sad to leave. I wanted to go back and work more. This then got me going to do find another job. I am desperate to work and when I work, I do a very good job.
Pros
free stuff
Cons
it did get long after awhile
Good place to work but not loyal to the workers. Management not good.
Picker/Packer (Current Employee) –  Parkinson QLD18 March 2019
The work side of Coles Parkinson DC is good. The people you work with are helpful and the pay is great. The bad part is you feel you need to watch your back on every little thing. You get verbal and written warnings for petty things. You try and get hold of your manager to ask how your performance is going and it seems too hard for them to do. Different managers tell you different things. The managers seem to throw the workers under the bus. Petty things like 7 minutes time off task and yet they stand around talking about their nights out and weekends. You have a team manager that is supposed to look after you. At the moment I have not even met my latest manager. The good ones come and introduce themselves to you and ask if there is any problems. I still do have incentive to further myself and career in this place but it's very hard. I ask to be trained in other areas but keep getting knocked back. Sometimes it's hard to give them all I have when they don't seem to care.
Pros
Flexibility in shifts. Great pay
Cons
Bad Management. Written and verbal warnings are handed out left right and centre.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Coles. Our community is ready to answer.