Colonial First State
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Colonial First State Employee Reviews

Australia18 reviews
A relaxed and easy going company that has a reasonably good working culture.
I was surprised to find out that the many of the processes that would normally be automated were manual which did make for some challenging periods.

All in all not a bad place to work.
CFS is a good place to learn how financial institutions run at the processing level.

You can achieve results by meeting KPI's, I also met some good workmates who were very helpfull.
Working at Colonial First State although only for a short time enhanced my customer service skills set. Work Culture supportive and fun and Team Leaders and Management approachable.
I have flexible hours at work, work part-time right now. There is a lot of learning opportunities, all you need is a desire. Management often do listen to what ordinary people are saying. Majority of people I work with are really great and friendly.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
a lot of work got outsourced
The culture was based upon a CEO who had empathy with all employees and was highly visible to all staff. I learned the power of a powerful, accepted, integrated, collaborative and genuine "customer first brand" set of values
Pros
Collabrative environment
Cons
Leaving the team
Security of job, confidence in consistent pay, safe work conditions.
Effective management system that has your back and gets tasks completed.

Great overall.
Pros
Pay, management, hours
A company that helps you develop and there is endless job advancements and even career changes.

Typical day starts with a huddle

culture is always busy and fun events going on
Productive and fun work place. Good environment, friendly co-workers,Flexible work hours. Exposure to new technical skills make it at good place to work.
CFS is under Commonwealth bank, which is rated the best employer of banking. The employee benefit is very good as shares and study support are provided.
Pros
sponsor study and mentor program
Cons
only confined to a small area of a big company
Enjoyed working with my colleagues and interacting with different departments and am very passionate about assisting customer’s with their enquires especially face to face. Learning new things every day and that makes you grow with knowledge and experience.
Pros
Flexible work hours, fun environment however very professional
Cons
Huge company sometimes feels like you are just a number.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Colonial First State?
Good location as it is just outside the city
Company culture promotes healthy sports activities.

Fantastic colleagues to work with.
Pros
Free soft drinks and fruit juices from the pantry
Cons
Not much career progression
I was required to take ownership for all tasks required for administrating the product including but not limited to Fund valuations, queries & distribution process.
Start work at 6.30am and get all the 7.30am deadlines out of the way. After 7.30am complete my days tasks until finish. Finishing time can be from 3.00pm until 6.00pm.

Co-workers are pleasant to work with and we all pitch in to work together as a team. The hardest part of my job is learning New Zealand tax rules.

Just working with a great bunch of people.
Very pressured job which I enjoyed, but no support from management when needed, gain a close relationship with all clients, Also learnt a lot about finance,
Pros
greatvworking realationship with clients
Cons
No support from Managerment
-Providing support to middle office teams
-Close interaction with other operational teams (e.g.corporate actions, trade processing)

-Providing accurate and timely data to stakeholders
Pros
meeting people from all walks of life
Cons
long hours, public holiday work
The role required extensive use of Microsoft Excel and VBA in performing daily asset and income reconciliations. Other duties include, placing fixed interest trades (negotiable certificates of deposits and term deposits) and managed funds trades, allocating income (coupons) and processing maturing investments. Conducting initial review and research of new investment requests from customers before submitting to the investment board committee for approval.
• The accurate and timely processing of all administration procedures, including applications, switching, redemptions, transfers, change of details, deceased estates, correspondence, adjustments and reconciliations.
• The ownership of the complete administration process including receipt, verification, processing and confirmation back to the client/financial adviser

• Completing all systems alterations, generating written correspondence and completing all processing requirements and system updates relating to client enquiries, within defined performance standards.

• Pro-active approach in identifying systems/service issues, being innovative towards prospective solutions in a creative and innovative manner as required.

• The ability to work as part of a team committed to the provision of excellent client service

• Participating in a team environment where each Financial Services Administrator takes ownership and responsibility for enquiries (and any subsequent process responsibilities) received from clients, Financial Advisers and others. This includes providing assistance to other team members where specialised knowledge or experience is required
Pros
fast paced, accuracy paramount.
Cons
repetitious
We pride ourselves on our values and accountability, at Colonial First State. I have people here, who I can now call life long friends and people that from a professional perspective, could confide in long after I leave CFS.

A typical day would be the case management of insurance queries from advisers and our Distribution teams via email and telephone. Calling on the relationships (Underwriting, Distribution and our Advisers) I have built over my time here, ultimately to get the best out come for the client.

I have learned that respect for your relationships is key and if you know your product well enough, you believe in yourself and your team, there are no obstacles.

CFS Management are Democratic, everybody's opinion matters and are always approachable. We are encouraged to develop and grow as employees and as people.

My team, is a key reason why I go to work every day. We are honest, support each other and not just in the workplace. We are seen by all (internal and external) as a great asset to the company who can be relied on.

The hardest part - not always being able to delivering a good outcome.

The most enjoyable part - the satisfaction of being able to see a strong contribution I've made to a successful project or case/process.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Colonial First State. Our community is ready to answer.