Commonwealth Bank Employee Reviews

Positive culture, flexible working and lots of opportunities
Operational Risk & Controls Manager (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW17 March 2019
I had various roles at the Commonwealth Bank which encouraged me to build my internal and external network. Each day was different depending on which project, client or risk I was dealing with.
Good culture of team
General Manager Group Operations Productivity (Former Employee) –  Australia13 March 2019
Our team had a great culture and we worked well together, however within the banks departments there was not the same interaction and support. It become a fight for survival and our team was disbanded due to one General Manager opposing our work in his department
Pros
Good culture of working environment
Cons
Very inclusive environment and a daily fight for survival
Good
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Sydney7 March 2019
It has been a really good experience in that you do not only learn the essential accounting skills but also get to meet like minded people as well, which is good for your future career.
Great progression opportunities
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW28 February 2019
CBA is a great place to work if you want to remain in the financial sector. They really try their best to help you learn and progress your career. One thing i'll say is that if your manager is good, it is an excellent place to work. If not then its a bit of a nightmare as experienced by the high turn over rates during my time there.
Sales Forced
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC26 February 2019
I was expected to pitch a sale to every banking customer, of course worded differently in their approach.

Great Young Culture. Office Building in CBD
Pros
Biggest Company in Australia
Cons
Extreme Sales Focus/KPI's
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW & Burwood NSW21 February 2019
I started here just out of school and stayed there until I had my daughter. I started off in the mail room and then worked in the office working with branches. Then I became a PA working with the top managers organising their flights and accommodation and typing up documents for them.
Pros
Learning something new everyday.
Cons
long days
Pestrá zábavná práce
Korporátní číšník, barista (Former Employee) –  New South Wales19 February 2019
Velmi uspokojujicí práce a skvělej kolektiv. Byl jsem tam velmi spokojen
Great on the job learning
Outbound Home Loan Retention Consultant (Current Employee) –  Parramatta NSW10 February 2019
The Commonwealth bank is a great place to work if you have other commitments as they are able to arrange different hour arrangements, its great if you have children or attend university as it teaches an individual about everyday finances and how to manage them
Pros
work/lifestyle balance
Cons
workplace culture
Great opportunities
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Sydney Australia8 February 2019
You can go really far at CBA if you're prepared to work hard. In an environment of change and uncertainty, it's a great time to be a part of it. Flexibility is very good at the organisation.
Stability
Bank Officer / CSA (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT6 February 2019
To work in a Big company is a plus, but comes pressure and status quo. Depending on the manager, but speaking for my Team Manager was great and fun. Flexible and supportive.
Great Opportunities to move around the Bank
Category Manager (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW6 February 2019
The Commonwealth Bank of Australia provides great opportunities to work in different business units/business functions of the Bank. This makes it an exciting place to work as there is always the opportunity to learn new skills and expand on your skill set
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
large scale restructuring
Great
Intern (Former Employee) –  Sydney5 February 2019
Loved my experience, it was amazing, great work culture and life , highly recommend. So many great opportunities for growth and development in this work environment.
Not interested in individual needs of staff
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sydney Inner Suburbs NSW28 January 2019
Busy open plan work environment. Assisted customers with enquiries and educated with online banking and technology. Very sales focused and KPI driven. Proactive outbound calls expected daily while being observed by the manager was my least favourite part of the job. I had a particularly awful branch manager who was very unpleasant to work with, had her own agenda and encouraged a bad culture. Area management are very unsupportive. Most staff are employed on a part time basis and have their hours reviewed quarterly (my hours were cut to just 4 hours a day) with only the 2IC and manager full time, hardly any relief staff and annual leave is often refused. Thus my recent resignation after 9 years working for CBA. Shame because it was once a great place to work.
Pros
Staff shares and no fees on bank accounts
Cons
Expected to work after hours
Good work place
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC25 January 2019
A good workplace for part time hours. Sales can be hard to achieve, depending on your manager if this workplace will be enjoyable. Not much opportunity to grow within the bank as hours keep getting cut.
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Hours keep getting cut
Excellent place to work
Casual Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Geelong VIC17 January 2019
CBA is a great place to work and they are very supportive of their staff. Customers are very loyal and friendly and you really get to know them. Flexible working hours.
Good Careear
Risk Executive, Provisioning (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW9 January 2019
I have had had a brilliant carrier until I was made redundant. I made lots of changes including automation. I made the work place enjoyable for everyone. I I shared my knowledge with my colleagues to teach and train them.
Pros
Good Manager
Cons
Redundancy
too much pressure on sales - very controling
Customer service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Frenchs Forest NSW8 January 2019
the Management wanted a hard sell approach.

they controlled what you had to way how you had to say it.
they were always watching...overlooking to see that the culture was followed

they continuously change the commissions so that you could never get addition bonuses for sales made.
Pros
flesible working hours
Cons
expectation to worked longer that the normal day for little pay.
Sales oriented
2IC Manager (Current Employee) –  Canberra ACT3 January 2019
Sales oriented but often masked as customer focused solutions. Customer focus is pushed but without "customer outcomes" (sales) customer focus doesnt matter to management.
Pros
9-5 retail and no weekends unless you want to
Cons
Extra tasks quickly become expected, over time is bot paid or recognised
A great place to learn and grow
Financial Planner (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW1 January 2019
I started at CBA as a 17 yr old and progressed through the ranks with promotions. Most of what I know today, I learnt from the bank. From the way I present myself and the way I conduct myself in the workplace. The pathway to growth and success is made easy through courses and training provided by the bank. The culture at the time was very much focused on the customers and that changed as the bank was privatised. We were known as the people's bank and we strived to be just that. Again, the most enjoyable part of my day was the interaction with our customers and the diversity of tasks.

The hardest part was leaving the company as I was following a dream of having my own little business.
Pros
Job security and satisfaction
Cons
Privatisation and change in focus
productive fast paced and fun.
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Maitland, NSW, AU10 December 2018
I have loved working with the commonwealth Group for a number of reasons.
the training they offer their staff is Out standing, your peers are easy to talk to and approach, and they have flexibility around families.
Pros
Great employee benifits
Cons
can be mentally exauhsting

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Commonwealth Bank. Our community is ready to answer.