Commonwealth Bank
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Commonwealth Bank Employee Reviews

Australia496 reviews
Although salary is not the best, the Job Work and Life Balance, and the Collaboration to achieve goals are excellent. Proud to work in one of the best Australian banks.
Good place to work, competitive salary, work-life balance. Career progression is available in retail banking network.
The biggest downside is occasional rude customers.
Pros
job security
Cons
rude customers
Commbank is a good place to work and has a positive diversity environment. The work space is a great place to be. The managers are great and when you need assistance someone is there to help you.
17 June 2020
Thanks for your feedback. We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed your role at CommBank with a great team and felt supported. We wish you all the very best with your current and future roles. We hope we can work with you again and if you are on the lookout for a new opportunity head to our Career site https://www.commbank.com.au/about-us/careers.html
While I hope that things have changed since I left the bank about two years ago my experience there still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.
They were constantly riding us about how many products we were selling. In reality, if a person doesn't need a credit card, I do not feel that we should be trying to sell one to them... even if they can afford it on paper.

It was also extremely difficult to get leave as there was never enough staff to cover you when you were off. Just prior to leaving I requested ONE DAY off on a Friday over a year in advance. I was told that I would not be able to have this time off as a manager at a different branch in the area would already be off at the time (I was just a team member).

It was also an expectation that you work OT without being paid for it pretty much every day.

Last thing... while I was there they forced us to migrate all customers to service self service options. They achieved this and then hounded our branches for not achieving sales targets (which was due to significantly less foot traffic after migrating customers). Because of this we would make proactive outbound calls were we essentially trying to invite the same customers that we pushed out the door back in to 'review their banking' which essentially meant to try sell them more products. Quite ironic really.

While working here I often felt down and really not myself. Quitting and moving to work for a company who truly values their employees and customers was the best thing I have ever done.

I am sure there is a lot to like about this company but it is certainly not
 - more...
21 June 2020
We’re sorry you’ve had a poor experience with us and feel your time wasn’t valued. We wanted to let you know we appreciate this feedback and have passed it on to our Human Resources team. If you’d like to share further feedback we encourage you to contact our HR Direct team on 1800 989 696
Big Company with good pay and bonuses if you perform 200%. Luck of good experienced managers due to big agents turnover. You will be getting Team leaders who been in industry with no banking background for 2 months and been promoted to TL with no management experience. Work not for everyone but if you love it you will be getting big chance of career progression. No work life balance, long hours (that's the reason why pay is quite good). If you work VERY WELL under pressure the work is for you.
Greed presented as helping
It is everything plus more the Royal Commission said

The culture hasn't changed and is now being disguised as change

Would work there under caution
28 May 2020
We’re sorry you’ve had a poor experience and feel your time wasn’t valued. At CommBank we’re guided by our values and Code of Conduct in everything we do. If you’d like to share further feedback, we encourage you to contact our anonymous hotline on 1800 SpeakUP (1800 773 258).
CBA is a great place to work. The facilities are world class and the organisation is very flexible and accepting to all applications. Management are helpful friendly and happy to assist in personal development of aspiring future leaders.
28 May 2020
We’re glad to hear that you’re enjoying your role with a great team and good work life balance. We want to thank you for your hard work and we wish you continued success. Good Luck!
Typical day at work is to set goals, how much sales/quotes need to meet.
Workplace culture - Work hard play hard

The most enjoyable and rewarding part able to help customers and listen to their stories.
28 May 2020
We’re glad you’re enjoying your role and good work life balance surrounded by a great team. We want to thank you for your hard work, particularly for taking the time to listen to our customers and helping them improve their financial well-being. We wish you continued success at CommBank. Good Luck!
While it's a fast-paced job you still learn a lot of valuable information. Managment really depends on the department that you are in and they can make things stressful sometimes.
Good for career and progression. Enjoyed my time there, it was defintiely a good experience. Would recommend it to anyone who is looking for an IT career in a Bank.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Commonwealth Bank?
It took years to be promoted although I was already doing the task for that role. They favour certain nationalities over people born here. So many times people who are not qualified for the role got promoted as they were friends with managers. You are relentlessly pushed for sales even if it wasn’t in the best interest of the client. Staff constantly doing unethical things, stabbing people in the back to get promoted or so they look better. It’s all about numbers, managers don’t care about their staff all the care about is looking good for their managers and their bonus which they do what they can to not pay the staff.
21 April 2020
At CommBank we are guided by our code of conduct in everything that we do. We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had a poor experience and feel your time wasn’t valued. Your feedback is important and in order for us to take action we encourage you to contact our anonymous hotline on 1800 SpeakUP (1800 773 258)
Good place to work, the offices are fun and modern and open and bright. They have activity based working format.
Lots of room to move around and further your career.
21 April 2020
It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your role at CommBank. We wish you all the best with your current and future endeavours. We hope we can work with you again and if you are on the lookout for a new opportunity head to our Career site https://www.commbank.com.au/about-us/careers.html
Enjoyed my time of employment at
The Commonwealth Bank would have to say it was my most enjoyable job I've ever experienced 👍 ICAL ROCK not only was everyday fun it was an extremely good education Thanks
Pros
Awesome atmosphere
Cons
Working Christmas Eve tricky
Culture was too focused on sales and not customers. Typical day included staff training/meetings, contacting referrals, appointments, research, advice preparation, reporting, management meetings. Staff were moved around a lot.
Pros
Good salary, bonuses, discounts, shares, and free uniforms
Cons
Long hours, difficulty meeting KPI's and sales targets
Good pay, easy job for tellers, can be much more stressful going further in the job. Dealing with complaints for customers can be very demanding on your mental health. Not a lot of help for those that are learning
Pros
Good pay and staff discounts
Cons
Not a lot of help, lots of complaints with banking industry
Not much job security. Have been on extended contracts in management for up to 2 years and now looking for more stability. Looking for permanent role.
I definitely had job security and stability but what I was craving was a career change was great whilst I was there but would never opt to work in this kind of an environment again.
Working with CBA can be rewarding if you’re prepared to do the hard work. It’s sometimes challenging and fast pace. Great work life balance and culture.
Pros
Free fruit every week, work life balance and flexibility
Cons
Fast pace and at times a numbers game
This is a standard work place. You will have a fantastic time on some days and other days are just business as usual. Working for the Commonwealth Bank, they have a fantastic on boarding training and I highly recommend it as a work place.
Undervalued as an employee
No pay rises

Hours cut every six months and there was nothing you could do about it

Branches being closed for no reason
Pay & working conditions are pretty good but as with most big organisations you are just a number. Management need to listen closer to the people actually doing the work.
Pros
Pay, job security
Cons
New location, listening to employees
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Commonwealth Bank. Our community is ready to answer.