Commonwealth Bank Employee Reviews

Learnt many skills, always something different to do
Bank Officer (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW4 September 2018
There was no typical day at work, I worked in many sections. Each day was the possibility to learn something new, to have a new experience. With the amount of contact made, made a great deal of friends, always something fun going on, Friday nights were always fun. There was no overtime, however the learning experience of every aspect, in the branches and in the administration side, did a lot to broaden my horizons and expand my knowledge. There is more to the Commonwealth Bank than just the financial side, it was well worth the experience. Management always rewarded and looked after hard workers, there is plenty of opportunity for advancement. A great place to work at, would go back there in a second.
Pros
Great atmosphere, much knowledge gained, management very approchable
Cons
No real overtime, but a great deal of benefits
Very secure job
Manager's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD26 November 2018
Was very busy at times and accuracy was very important.
The benefits received were exceptional.
Training always supplied on the job.
Management and all colleagues were always well mannered and polite.
Pros
Exceptional benefits.
Cons
Couldn't leave premises for the day until tellers balanced their cash at the end of the day.
Good job variety
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Everton Park QLD28 November 2018
There is no such thing as a typical day as it is always different. Every day you meet new people with new requests who need your help. They are a good group of people to work with & I have made life long friendships.
Pros
Great people & benefits.
Cons
Can be long hours when something goes wrong.
Its what happens behind the scenes.
CSE (Former Employee) –  Tasmania24 October 2018
Working for the Commonwealth bank does have its perks but when it comes to its own employees sorting out loan applications or credit the bank falls well behind.
When applying for anything yourself you do get a few benefits but the bank treats you like you don't matter.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
When applying for loans or credit the bank treats your like you don't matter.
productive fast paced and fun.
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Maitland, NSW, AU10 December 2018
I have loved working with the commonwealth Group for a number of reasons.
the training they offer their staff is Out standing, your peers are easy to talk to and approach, and they have flexibility around families.
Pros
Great employee benifits
Cons
can be mentally exauhsting
Working at CBA is a 4 out of 5

4 stars - Management
4 stars - Job Culture
Great culture and benefits
Resource Planning Analyst (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC29 August 2018
A busy and fast-paced environment. A good place to enhance your skills and capabilities with support from management. Great staff benefits, rewards and bonus.
Pros
Supportive management and great staff benefits
Cons
Some roles are limited in Melbourne
Insurance company
Customer Service Representative (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW8 August 2018
Comminsure is very micro-managed and very stressful as we are put under pressure and have high targets hence we get pushed from our management team
however great company to work for as you get alot of benefits
Position
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Perth WA12 September 2018
My main role was to provide exceptional customer service by adding value to all communications. My other responsibility was to create a weekly report to the management showing the partial and the total revenue made from banking products and the sales results of the customer service representatives in my team, I generated reports in Excel fie to collect and compare the operating results against other Wester Australian branches. I presented the key business information for the branch managers in an easy to read and informative way using a combination of pivot tables and charts that allowed a comprehensive review of the performance as well as support an inform business decisions.
Pros
Helping customers
Cons
no work life balance, unsure working hours
A great place to learn and grow
Financial Planner (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW1 January 2019
I started at CBA as a 17 yr old and progressed through the ranks with promotions. Most of what I know today, I learnt from the bank. From the way I present myself and the way I conduct myself in the workplace. The pathway to growth and success is made easy through courses and training provided by the bank. The culture at the time was very much focused on the customers and that changed as the bank was privatised. We were known as the people's bank and we strived to be just that. Again, the most enjoyable part of my day was the interaction with our customers and the diversity of tasks.

The hardest part was leaving the company as I was following a dream of having my own little business.
Pros
Job security and satisfaction
Cons
Privatisation and change in focus
good management,fun working at the counter, good staff benefits
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  King George Sq branch and Carindale8 January 2018
A typical day at work fun with staff and love serving clients. Learned a lot from every training given by the Bank. Management looks after staff. Good benefits, good salary, shares every year if you performed well, which I always do every year. Bonuses every year base on staff and branch performance .The hardest part of the job when you dont balance and not meeting targets.The most enjoyable part of the job , when you make a client happy by giving the right product and helping them of their financial needs.and another enjoyable part is receiving the financial rewards by meeting the targets and recognition from the management and client of job well done.
Pros
shares every year, bonuses, free uniform
Cons
long hours -when not balance
Worst ever to work for..
Sales Assistant/ teller (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC9 April 2018
Don't waste your time working for this mob...aim much higher where not only will you be paid much more but actually have a career.

The staff morale is often very low and i have worked at several branches. Why ? salary barely pays the bills and the bank is always trying to get more out of you for nothing !
too much pressure on sales - very controling
Customer service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Frenchs Forest NSW8 January 2019
the Management wanted a hard sell approach.

they controlled what you had to way how you had to say it.
they were always watching...overlooking to see that the culture was followed

they continuously change the commissions so that you could never get addition bonuses for sales made.
Pros
flesible working hours
Cons
expectation to worked longer that the normal day for little pay.
Toxic Culture
Customer Banking and Savings Specialist (Current Employee) –  Illawarra NSW26 October 2018
I believe higher up (eg CEO) they have the right ideas, however as management moves down, there is a "highschool playground" culture where it's not necessarily what you've achieved or what you know, it's who you know... The organisation claim to not be about sales and revenue but each morning meeting is all about targets and revenue, and how the branch can get more home loans. There is a lot of encouragement to speak up if anyone feels overwhelmed, or doesn't feel like a process is fair or unclear, yet when someone DOES speak up, they are made to feel like their concerns are invalid and no review or action is taken. There is a lot of pressure with Customer Experience Surveys: 9 & 10 are good, 8 and below is not. KPIs are unrealistic and hours are cut regularly; Tier 2 & 3 branches will not have more than 2 full timers, one of those includes the manager.
The internal reward system is actually great, where staff can nominate each other for points if they feel they have done something outstanding; points are rewarded at Manager's discretion and they are valued point per dollar with a large number of Big retail partners for items or vouchers.
Pros
Internal reward system
Cons
Unrealistic KPIs, Unsupportive management
Great
Risk Executive - Securitisation (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW25 November 2018
Great Place to work

Work-life balance is just right.

Friendly staff and management

A lot of opportunities to progress

Work is challenging and exciting
Good Salary, bad culture
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Margaret River WA13 April 2018
Salary is good but the overtime was getting to be too much. Depending on the manager your have the team culture can be good, but can also be very toxic and competitive.
Pros
Pay, benefits, bonus, progression options
Cons
Lots of overtime, pressure
Good organisation to work with
Portfolio Manager (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW29 November 2018
Good organisation to work with, culture is good, environment is good, relation to good, good work life balance, company to settle for a long time, company with more individual benefit
excellent
Bank Officer (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW16 October 2018
it has been some time since I have worked with this organisation but when I was with them I found them to be both customer and employee focused before profit however sadly I'm not sure if this is still the case as most banks now are all for profit before anything else
overall I don't think we have any job security any job can be offshored at business decision
nothing is secure anymore
Pros
better than westpac
Cons
possible offshoring
Great appreciation
MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Sydney Olympic Park NSW21 February 2018
Great culture and work life balance
Great benefits
Offers great flexibility and career development
Focus on exceeding customer's needs
Great product and service
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
No open products
Great place to work, great staff and a great environment workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ipswich QLD4 December 2018
I would come into work with a big smile just about everyday looking forward to seeing my staff mates and customers.
I learned how deal with difficult customers efficiently and effectively without help most times but when it got tough my work mates were always there to back me up.
The workplace was a great, challenging at times but a welcoming environment too.
Pros
Great team to work with
Cons
sometimes the breaks didn't go as scheduled

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Commonwealth Bank. Our community is ready to answer.