Commonwealth Bank
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Commonwealth Bank Employee Reviews

Great experience, although we had kpi's, targets to hit. On how many applications we could get through in a day, in a week. But being busy correcting errors and making calls to applicants on was worth it at the end of every week. I would stay for overtime if i needed too. Appreciated working at Commonwealth Bank, learnt more there than i have at any other job i have had. If i was giben the opportunity to work there again or at any bank, I'll be happy too
Pros
Team giveaways, lunches
Cons
Far from home
A very poor working environment. Clearly there is pressure higher up that is put on managers to meet KPI's and reach appointment quotas. You are micromanaged, to the point where if you don't use the same phrases as the managers, you are considered to be problematic. You consistently felt like you were underperforming even during weeks where you were booking 5-10 FHC's. Poor training when it came to up-skilling and most of the time you were thrown in the deep end. And if you said the wrong thing to a customer, you were pulled aside and made to feel humiliated about one wrong word. A truly toxic workplace that made me deteriorate mentally. Yeah CBA is a great company unless you're working in the RBS sector... it's not worth it - trust me.
Pros
Nice team
Cons
Long hours, pressure from management, unpaid overtime, selling unnecessary products to customers
Overall good employer. Employee benefits gradually reduced during the 25years to being almost non existent. Was very sales pressure performance based in the past.
Not great, a bunch of cowboys who play loose and fast with their staff and their mental and physical health.I would not recommend anyone work for CBA if they value their sanity and self worth.
I was very happy to work at CBA. The offices in Sydney are beautiful, the colleagues are nice, the management is inspiring. A lot of flexibility in terms of work hours etc. Overall a very positive experience to have been working here on a temporary contract!
CBA promotes a great work life balance, Due to the size of the company the opportunity to grow is almost endless.Will definitely recommend anyone to work for one of Australia’s greatest banks
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
The last few years they have seemed to employ the wrong people for strategy
Great Training and education support. Fully Internalised system of work, community fairs, great security, top management, collabarative group efforts.
Pros
Work Parties, XMas Gifts, staff discounts, great opportunities for growth.
Cons
Office talk, competitive people who try and take your referrals, if you dont like KPIs dont bother.
A great job culture with friendly managers and colleagues!! Your work will be highly recognised and prospects of growth within the company is encouraged.
I worked at CBA for 5 years and was able to move easily throughout the company as they value internal staff highly. Contact centre and branch are very results driven which can be a tough environment but once you move your way up you will find greater flexibility and enjoyment in your roles. Had a few terrible and incompetent managers but also had some amazing management there as well who were super encouraging and helpful with my development.
Pros
Flexibility, Good Culture, Great Staff Benefits
Cons
Can be results driven, very competitive
No direction forced to do things and work at other branches .If your male your the escape goat Run They are so strapped for staff , Call in sick still come to work No compassion ,Just a joke.Staff are ok but stab you in the back so watch what you say
Pros
Banking benefits
Cons
Your forced to do stuff you dont want to do
24 July 2020
Thanks for your feedback. We’re sorry that you’ve had a poor experience. We’re committed to making Commbank a place where are our employees enjoy what they do and feel valued. Particularly at this time where our Branch teams are working harder to support our customers and community to improve their financial well being. We value your feedback and we’ve passed it on to the relevant team. If you have further feedback we encourage you to contact our anonymous hotline on 1800 SpeakUP (1800 773 258)
Although salary is not the best, the Job Work and Life Balance, and the Collaboration to achieve goals are excellent. Proud to work in one of the best Australian banks.
Good place to work, competitive salary, work-life balance. Career progression is available in retail banking network. The biggest downside is occasional rude customers.
Pros
job security
Cons
rude customers
24 July 2020
We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed your role at CommBank with good work-life balance. Good luck with your current and future roles and if you are on the lookout for a new opportunity, head to our Career site https://www.commbank.com.au/about-us/careers.html
Commbank is a good place to work and has a positive diversity environment. The work space is a great place to be. The managers are great and when you need assistance someone is there to help you.
17 June 2020
Thanks for your feedback. We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed your role at CommBank with a great team and felt supported. We wish you all the very best with your current and future roles. We hope we can work with you again and if you are on the lookout for a new opportunity head to our Career site https://www.commbank.com.au/about-us/careers.html
While I hope that things have changed since I left the bank about two years ago my experience there still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. They were constantly riding us about how many products we were selling. In reality, if a person doesn't need a credit card, I do not feel that we should be trying to sell one to them... even if they can afford it on paper. It was also extremely difficult to get leave as there was never enough staff to cover you when you were off. Just prior to leaving I requested ONE DAY off on a Friday over a year in advance. I was told that I would not be able to have this time off as a manager at a different branch in the area would already be off at the time (I was just a team member). It was also an expectation that you work OT without being paid for it pretty much every day. Last thing... while I was there they forced us to migrate all customers to service self service options. They achieved this and then hounded our branches for not achieving sales targets (which was due to significantly less foot traffic after migrating customers). Because of this we would make proactive outbound calls were we essentially trying to invite the same customers that we pushed out the door back in to 'review their banking' which essentially meant to try sell them more products. Quite ironic really. While working here I often felt down and really not myself. Quitting and moving to work for a company who truly values their employees and customers was the best thing I have ever done. I am sure there is a lot to like about this company but it is certainly not - more...
21 June 2020
We’re sorry you’ve had a poor experience with us and feel your time wasn’t valued. We wanted to let you know we appreciate this feedback and have passed it on to our Human Resources team. If you’d like to share further feedback we encourage you to contact our HR Direct team on 1800 989 696
Big Company with good pay and bonuses if you perform 200%. Luck of good experienced managers due to big agents turnover. You will be getting Team leaders who been in industry with no banking background for 2 months and been promoted to TL with no management experience. Work not for everyone but if you love it you will be getting big chance of career progression. No work life balance, long hours (that's the reason why pay is quite good). If you work VERY WELL under pressure the work is for you.
Greed presented as helping It is everything plus more the Royal Commission said The culture hasn't changed and is now being disguised as change Would work there under caution
28 May 2020
We’re sorry you’ve had a poor experience and feel your time wasn’t valued. At CommBank we’re guided by our values and Code of Conduct in everything we do. If you’d like to share further feedback, we encourage you to contact our anonymous hotline on 1800 SpeakUP (1800 773 258).
CBA is a great place to work. The facilities are world class and the organisation is very flexible and accepting to all applications. Management are helpful friendly and happy to assist in personal development of aspiring future leaders.
28 May 2020
We’re glad to hear that you’re enjoying your role with a great team and good work life balance. We want to thank you for your hard work and we wish you continued success. Good Luck!
Typical day at work is to set goals, how much sales/quotes need to meet. Workplace culture - Work hard play hard The most enjoyable and rewarding part able to help customers and listen to their stories.
28 May 2020
We’re glad you’re enjoying your role and good work life balance surrounded by a great team. We want to thank you for your hard work, particularly for taking the time to listen to our customers and helping them improve their financial well-being. We wish you continued success at CommBank. Good Luck!
While it's a fast-paced job you still learn a lot of valuable information. Managment really depends on the department that you are in and they can make things stressful sometimes.
Good for career and progression. Enjoyed my time there, it was defintiely a good experience. Would recommend it to anyone who is looking for an IT career in a Bank.
It took years to be promoted although I was already doing the task for that role. They favour certain nationalities over people born here. So many times people who are not qualified for the role got promoted as they were friends with managers. You are relentlessly pushed for sales even if it wasn’t in the best interest of the client. Staff constantly doing unethical things, stabbing people in the back to get promoted or so they look better. It’s all about numbers, managers don’t care about their staff all the care about is looking good for their managers and their bonus which they do what they can to not pay the staff.
21 April 2020
At CommBank we are guided by our code of conduct in everything that we do. We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had a poor experience and feel your time wasn’t valued. Your feedback is important and in order for us to take action we encourage you to contact our anonymous hotline on 1800 SpeakUP (1800 773 258)
  1. Employee Reviews