Communities@Work Employee Reviews

Poor Management and Workplace Culture - WOULD NOT RECOMMEND
OSHC Educator (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT4 September 2019
Pros:
* When I first started I was given no induction whatsoever for my position as an OSHC Educator. Whilst I thought that was very unprofessional of the company, I did develop skills of independence through self/observational learning as there.

* Pays quite well

Cons:

* Management - I have had a long list of jobs in the past with abusive managers, 'leaders', underpayment but none as horrible to work with as in this organisation. I had several incidents where I had to inform HR of workplace discrimination and harassment and the report was ignored. As a result of it, I lost a lot of hours and was moved to a service (without being informed) the furthest possible distance for me to travel.

*Workplace Culture - Throughout my 3 years of work for Communities@Work, I worked in every single service across Canberra that the organisation caters to. Whilst there were some services that I believe were wonderfully run due to empathetic program coordinators understanding what the service needed, many fell to the issue of Nepotism. Nearly all co-workers I chatted with, agreed that receiving a promotion was close to impossible unless you had outside relations (family, friends) with program coordinators or management.

I would absolutely never recommend working for this organisation.

You can do better!
Not worth it
OSHC Educator (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT29 January 2019
the management team are so hard to contact.

staff that work in the OSHC can be horrible towards other staff by using them as their personal punching bags to take out their frustration. It can make the whole atmosphere hard to work in and brings the teams moral down. There's a lot of people that are hired because they are family friends of the management team which means they can get away with everything. there's no care for the staff/team or kids at certain services as some of the staff show up just for easy money to sit around and gossip instead of being grown ups and appropriately and actively getting involved with the kids.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
Management and Staff
Comms@Work
Educator (Former Employee) –  Australian Capital Territory ACT17 February 2018
Great colleagues and wonderful clients. Management unsupportive with study leave and made grave errors with students undertaking their certificates. Encouraging monthly meetings, many courses to maintain skills.
flexible
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Tuggeranong ACT4 February 2018
great hours
fun activities
understanding and acceptance of skills and knowledge
friendly supportive environment for workers and clients
good at listening and responding to clients needs
Pros
excusions
Cons
volunteered position
Good Organisation
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT18 December 2016
My previous role as General Manager Assets & Infrastructure was rewarding yet challenging. As head of the organisations Maintenance Team we managed the day to day maintenance needs of 50 sites across the Canberra Region. I had a loyal and hard working team and we relished each day at work. Communities@Work provides a vast array of services to the community including Child Care Centres, Disability and Lifestyle Services, an RTO, The Galilee School etc.
The Executive Team consisted of many skilled and capable people which had come from skilled and experienced backgrounds. Unfortunately for me and my team we were all offered Voluntary Redundancies during November & December which has meant that we have all had to move on.
Pros
Community focused
Cons
None really
A very rewarding and exciting job
Before and after school care educator (Current Employee) –  Canberra, ACT8 October 2015
Working for communities at work has always been an absolute pleasure, I learnt something new from the kids I worked with everyday. It was a very fun and exciting job and i loved every moment of it.
Pros
Flexible hours