Communities@Work
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Communities@Work Employee Reviews

Australia11 reviews
Staff work diligently and professionally. They have many strategies to asist the childrens' play. They are very helpful to newcomers and are caring human beings. They are very focused on good food choices . The playgrounds have more than ample facilities to make play meaningful for the children. The teams are very co-operative with each other.The hardest part of the job is not having enough minutes in the day to do eveything that you want to do artistically and teaching wise. It is a very happening place with lots of excitement and really amazing cool children with whom it is fun to play.
A typical day as a Casual Educator included being notified of a shift 20-30 minutes before it started. Arriving at the school you would have a brief induction by a senior educator who clearly didn't care too much about their job.

After that, there would be about 30 minutes of setting up tables and chairs in a highly specific way (nobody would tell you how to set up, but would get annoyed if it wasn't done exactly right).

If you had issues with anything over the course of your shift you would have to solve it on your own, because the older members of staff will often ignore or quickly dismiss anything that you have to say.

The staff at the schools were set up like high-school cliques. New staff weren't welcomed and were made to feel like idiots any time they asked for help or clarification.

Working for Communities@Work, I felt completely disposable and worthless due to this toxic workplace culture.

If you complain to management, they WILL cut your hours without any further discussion.

Don't work here if you can avoid it!
I don’t recommend working for Communities at Work, bullying and harassment by Manager & her friends who work at the centre, nepotism. When spoke to HR about bullying & harassment nothing was done. Poor care practices.
Hard working team and supportive Easy to get along with and helping each other out no matter how challenging the tasks were. Enough people to help out all the time.
Pros
friendly
Cons
Pros:
* When I first started I was given no induction whatsoever for my position as an OSHC Educator. Whilst I thought that was very unprofessional of the company, I did develop skills of independence through self/observational learning as there.

* Pays quite well

Cons:

* Management - I have had a long list of jobs in the past with abusive managers, 'leaders', underpayment but none as horrible to work with as in this organisation. I had several incidents where I had to inform HR of workplace discrimination and harassment and the report was ignored. As a result of it, I lost a lot of hours and was moved to a service (without being informed) the furthest possible distance for me to travel.

*Workplace Culture - Throughout my 3 years of work for Communities@Work, I worked in every single service across Canberra that the organisation caters to. Whilst there were some services that I believe were wonderfully run due to empathetic program coordinators understanding what the service needed, many fell to the issue of Nepotism. Nearly all co-workers I chatted with, agreed that receiving a promotion was close to impossible unless you had outside relations (family, friends) with program coordinators or management.

I would absolutely never recommend working for this organisation.

You can do better!
I generally enjoyed the work as a whole and would be prepared to work In OSHC again. Communities@work provide good opportunities and I got to work with some fantastic people. Would now prefer to work with nusery and toddler children to gain experience and upgrade to diploma.
Pros
good conditions and great training prospects
Cons
travel is limited to Public buses
the management team are so hard to contact.

staff that work in the OSHC can be horrible towards other staff by using them as their personal punching bags to take out their frustration. It can make the whole atmosphere hard to work in and brings the teams moral down. There's a lot of people that are hired because they are family friends of the management team which means they can get away with everything. there's no care for the staff/team or kids at certain services as some of the staff show up just for easy money to sit around and gossip instead of being grown ups and appropriately and actively getting involved with the kids.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
Management and Staff
Great colleagues and wonderful clients. Management unsupportive with study leave and made grave errors with students undertaking their certificates. Encouraging monthly meetings, many courses to maintain skills.
great hours
fun activities

understanding and acceptance of skills and knowledge

friendly supportive environment for workers and clients

good at listening and responding to clients needs
Pros
excusions
Cons
volunteered position
My previous role as General Manager Assets & Infrastructure was rewarding yet challenging. As head of the organisations Maintenance Team we managed the day to day maintenance needs of 50 sites across the Canberra Region. I had a loyal and hard working team and we relished each day at work. Communities@Work provides a vast array of services to the community including Child Care Centres, Disability and Lifestyle Services, an RTO, The Galilee School etc.
The Executive Team consisted of many skilled and capable people which had come from skilled and experienced backgrounds. Unfortunately for me and my team we were all offered Voluntary Redundancies during November & December which has meant that we have all had to move on.
Pros
Community focused
Cons
None really
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Communities@Work?
Working for communities at work has always been an absolute pleasure, I learnt something new from the kids I worked with everyday. It was a very fun and exciting job and i loved every moment of it.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Communities@Work. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7