Compass Group Australia Management reviews

Compass Group is a very incompetent company.
Mine Site Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Central Queensland30 April 2019
I have just quit Compass after 8mths because when you DIDO for me it was 9hrs driving in the beginning. They are forever messing up accommodation, 3 times now for me. Wages are minimal for the amount of work expected of you. Never paid my bonus which is owing, and wages always wrong or late. Management in Queensland and now WA is totally incompetent and never there to assist staff. Paperwork is horrendous and expected to do on your time.
Pros
Cons
Heaps
Great staff that is where it ends
Manager (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW23 April 2019
sub standard management. Employees could work on their own micro management just frustrates them to the point of no longer caring. Complete lack of recognition for efforts
Pros
Nil
Cons
Penny saving pay terrible management
Worst place ever worked at
Chef (Former Employee) –  Longford VIC19 April 2019
Worse place I've ever worked at. Expectations were exorbitant with limited staff and the bullying if jobs weren't completed was awful. Had site manager threaten us with job losses at morning meetings every day if we didn't get work completed. Staff were nasty to each other and snappy due to the pressure placed on them. Site manager would cut your hours if you couldn't work on short notice. I could keep going. Caused me severe anxiety that I had to leave immediately.
Pros
Cons
Bullying, short ataffed, family never taken into consideration
Bad moral
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD29 March 2019
Constant walking, team moral back stabbing,
Casuals do majority of the work.
Huge turnover of staff.
Management back stabbing.
Would not suggest to work there.
Pros
A Job
Cons
Walking non stop, low pay, bad moral.
Abc
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gympie QLD24 February 2019
Great people to work with. No support from management. Wanted you to work for nothing. No time for personal needs. Non stop until your shift was finished.
Pros
Short hours
Cons
No respect
Job security but at a terrible cost
Chef (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC24 January 2019
As an experienced qualified chef I hoped to make a difference by joining Compass Group. Upon resigning I was disillusioned, burnt out and quite frankly appalled at the quality of workmanship from fellow chefs and the non existent professionalism from so called managers and the ah hem, management team (old adage, there's no I in team).

Hire unqualified chefs....pay them low wages and wonder why the results are disappointing with high staff turnover. No care from these 'chefs', no inspiration/leadership/discipline from highly paid senior chef who played with the computer all day while subordinates slaved to reach unattainable targets. Severe lack of qualifications. Jobs for unskilled, inexperienced and image obsessed mates at management level and nepotism rife at base level. WHS not complied with, horrific breaches were commonplace, communication non existent except for the usual bully boy tactics.

Stress cascades down from leaders at Head Office through to the scurrying mice Area Managers down to the overloaded Site Managers. Quality leaders/staff end up rejoining the outside world of hospitality leaving gaps that cannot be filled. Resultant situation of much outsourcing of apparently 'green' friendly food items with a massive carbon footprint, suppliers/supply chain not interested in quality just the lowest agreed price for the lowest quality raw food items....folks, you're eating this rubbish at venues around Australia, target levels aren't met, KPI’S aren't achieved, business initiatives lack spark and are woefully behind contemporary hospitality directions/trends
  more... and look out if you don't tow the line in adopting these so called revenue generating strategies as the affectionately titled Business Analysts will be monitoring the site. The CIM's are brought in to fix the mess. Guys, put a broom through some sites and start afresh.

For free thinkers, those with passion, drive, focus and energy stay away from this company or get out quickly before it vacuums every ounce of life out of you. Expected unpaid overtime, vile co workers, harassing one up managers, no rewards or recognition....the pittance of a salary isn't worth selling your soul for.
Pros
Stable employment
Cons
Low wages, awful management hierarchy lacking any direction
Unorganized and messy
Chef (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC7 January 2019
Paid: They pay award rate but they would try to negotiate as much as they can, you finally get lower paid than you are entitled.

Work load: The work load is not clear and very depends on the relationship between you and the managers. You will have to do lots more extras just because somebody is being lazy.

Self development: Unless you are the managers, you will get a chance for some training, otherwise you are just a pair of hand.

Management: Direction, timeline, goals are always be changing, you don't know what you should achieve.

Culture: Between the employees are okay, people feel unstable for the job due to the vibe created by the managers.
Pros
Correct paid (but still try to negotiate to pay you less than you are entitled)
Cons
Unorganized and unstable work environment
hard work for minimal pay
Cleaner - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA26 May 2018
you work hard and are kept busy, which for me is a good thing, however to work with other team members that don't adhere to the requirement of the business and management doesn't make changes to improve team situations. Pay is very low for what you do, youre expect to do two peoples job for almost minimum wage. lack of support in regards to well being, or job loss due to change over, loss of client contract.
Pros
star awards- recognisation of staff that go above and beyond
Cons
lack of support from management
It was fine while it lasted
Chef de Partie (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW7 May 2018
Its A Company that you can grow in many sectors. The time i had with Compass Group was good while it lasted. I made some good contacts and learned lots. I don't think I could do a long-term stint with large organizations. Personally, it gets a bit monotonous.
Great for younger Chefs to get a leg up in the industry.
Pros
Work/life balance, free meals
Cons
No filtration when recruiting Management, Just recruit, low pay for senior Chefs
Good Company who do care about their employees
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Healesville VIC29 April 2018
Management very good, very hard work but excellent workplace culture, fast paced working environment which I loved, all courses paid for with Certificates, Health and Hygeine and Catering Assistant Courses
Pros
Staff discounts with company for entertainment
Cons
Chef / Manager / Everything else!
Chef (Former Employee) –  VIC14 February 2018
Expecting too much from you, in this very demanding role..

Chasing up all the policy and procedures / OH&S etc, etc.... from 3 companies - including ESS, for whom i worked for.

Duties in the role increased significantly once i started full time, that were not mentioned in the job description.

All the cooking and all the office work / budgeting, banking etc, had to be done by myself.

Staff backstabbing was rife. Staff taking sick days was constant - which were very hard to fill, mostly leaving us understaffed. Management using bully / pressure tactics to reduce all staff hrs, but to increase mine! including doing weekend work, all the while being on a LOW salary..

This job was done by FIFO's before me who were being paid $120k+!!
No wonder they didn't want the job!
Pros
Free lunch and coffee
Cons
Long hours, pressure tactics
Utility/ Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Blackwater QLD4 February 2018
some employees were fantastic some weren't. Management were not about helping the employees. typical day was serving grouchy miners who had no respect for anyone
Not a reliable place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC24 January 2018
If upper management knew what they were doing it would help this business immensely.
They have no idea how to run a Medical Centre and procrastinate over everything.
ALL staff are constantly worried that the management will sack you for no apparent reason

Not a happy place to work.
Good infrastructure, the leadership really depends
Procurement Administrator (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW17 January 2018
High standard of business practice.
Have many highly skilled and talented people working with.
Have good management standard

BUT

Not all leadership member truly understand the difference between management and leadership.
Lack of training and coaching, the team spirit is questionable due to the imbalanced pressure upon leadership team. The one meant lead and develops the team are still focused on solo one's own task.
Pros
food samples everywhere, relaxed work enviroment
Cons
there is about 11% chance you will have a really difficult boss
Fast paced
Bar and Dining Attendant (Current Employee) –  Singleton NSW7 December 2017
Always changing infrastructure. Fast paced environment. They don’t always train everyone who is employed. I used to love the job, being a part of a team who looks after the men & women who protect us. Know your place or you’ll get screwed over. The company will always stand behind the military and not their employees
Pros
Money isn’t good. The more hrs you can work, the more you’ll get
Cons
Work you to the bone. Constantly changing shifts, a lot of back stabbing and brown nosing
Great company with great opportunities
Recruitment Administrator (Former Employee) –  Perth WA21 November 2017
Enjoyed working for this company. Was able to transfer from a fly in fly out role, to a head office role. Management were very supportive and gave great feedback and opportunities to develop.
Security LNG Wheatstone
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Wheatstone Onslow24 October 2017
High turnover staff and management for a reason hence why position is always advertised. Good roster 2 x 1 but favouritism and underhand management is rife. Two companies don't work together either.
Pros
Good roster 2 x 1
Cons
Office staff/HR have no idea of fifo conditions
I enjoyed my position
Food and Beverage Attendant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC12 October 2017
I really enjoyed my position and learnt a lot. I worked as a Food and Beverage Attendant and Kitchen hand . I gained great customer service skills. time management skills and I had experience in fast paced environment.
Workers are hard working
OFFSHORE UNIT MANAGER - CAMP BOSS (Current Employee) –  Perth WA10 October 2017
The people I work with are reliable and hard working, however not appreciated by management. Constantly having to do extra hours and made to feel unappreciated. The more I do for these guys the more I have to do.
Pros
Equal Time off
Cons
Long hours with no Recognition, and constantly getting calls when on R&R
Very Good Company and Safely Culture
UTLITY - ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Perth WA25 September 2017
Good Management, Safety culture, Good money, cultural diversity, friendly work environment, flexibility of roster ( personal life and work life) balance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Compass Group Australia. Our community is ready to answer.