Country Fire Authority
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Country Fire Authority Employee Reviews

Australia15 reviews
proper background/ experience/ academic achievement with the defined mindset/ skill set are essential to succeed the projects objectives

Ensure adaptive planning/

organizing/

coordinating/

commanding/

controls

are in place to align between programs & methology
I work at the CFA for 11 years. Love the job, loved the volunteers. The staff I worked with were AWESOME. My remote boss was a male chauvinist. He was asked to leave a number of years before I left. My next boss was okay but still had his own agenda. I would still work there now if I still lived in Victoria.
A typical day can very from day to day.
As an emergency response organization you are expected to be response ready at all times. Training is also a big part of the job.
Really friendly station, great people and the equipment is of a high standard. The training there was great, they really look after you and make sure that your safety is number 1.
Pros
Amazing supporting teams
Cons
Could be called in anytime.
I worked with a very supportive and collaborative team in Payroll. A group of very hard workers and I looked forward to going to work everyday.
High turnover of staff within the business which can be difficult to handle/resolve queries right through.

Communication between departments can be improved to ensure any business changes are relayed to relevant teams.
Pros
Training, team work, collaborative with other departments
Cons
Sense of entitlement within business, business is traditional and slow to make change
CFA is a long established community based organisation in the emergency services field. It has a long history of community and volunteer engagement. The organisation has a recent commitment to using evidence based decision making and using knowledge to enhance decision making, improve performance and achieve community outcomes. The organisation has a strong operational focus and committed staff and volunteers. The most enjoyable part of the role was working with people on new initiatives and helping CFA develop its knowledge management approach
Pros
committed organisation and helpful staff and volunteers
Cons
industrial difficulties and cultural issues
Great people to work with, lots of learning and advancement opportunities. Many different departments to move throughout during your work career with the Country Fire Authority.
The most enjoyable part of the job is during incident response when everyone comes together to get the job done, and look after the community.
Pros
Mostly flexible environment
Cons
Little job advancement opportunity
I recommend becoming a volunteer member of CFA. You contribute to keeping your communities safer, learn new skills, have the opportunity for continual professional development and camaraderie.
Pros
Learn new skills, have the opportunity for continual professional development and camaraderie
Cons
Disruption to family life through call outs and time taken on professional development.
Team I work with are fantastic and really focused in constant improvement, however, job security is an issue. With large budget cuts most contracted jobs are going.
Pros
Team I work with
Cons
No job security
Great team. Excellent support from management. Culture of help and assistance abounds within the IT department.
Management give their staff full support
Pros
Management support their employees
Cons
Can't think if any
Experience in a range of compensation claims, on-going training provided. Good work culture, and an organisation that values the work/life balance.
Overall a good place to work in, although for fixed term contracts, there is not much ensuing job continuity.

The greater organisation is constantly seeking to improve, to serve the public better.

New leadership in ICT management is dynamic and has worthy visions.

I have learnt about the intricacies of dealing with unions and change implementation challenges in a huge volunteer based organisation.

Co-workers and team are hand picked from various commercial organisations and teamwork is good, guided by first class immediate leadership.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the project director support and steer the team through thick and thin and being empowered to apply my unique professional value add, to deliver unprecedented service assurance capabilities, without micro management.

I have thoroughly enjoyed contributing to the Victorian emergency services communications sector by making it leaner and more resilient.
Pros
Flexible time management, good immediate leadership
Cons
No HR perks or recognition of work / awards for significant contribution
i learnt how an office operates including filing requirements, answering phone calls, dealing with issues to do with day to day activities of the CFA
Very experienced co workers to help and support me through my Certificate III Traineeship.
Many valuable life lessons learned.

Constantly working on team building and and promoting teamwork.