Crawford & Company
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Crawford & Company Employee Reviews

Australia15 reviews
Very little progression and quite stressful especially during catastrophic events.

No real management structure, support or guidance although you can develop great experience from the difficult claims you will deal with daily.
A working week is always doing a variety of assessments in different area's throughout the district. Meeting a number of clients who have either lost everything they owned in a major loss or a small loss claim that they are not at all sure which way to turn. I like to provide the Insured with a positive claim experience and I do my best to insure they are entitled to all the benefits under the terms and conditions of their policy.
I did enjoy my time at Crawford & Company however I felt that management/staff communication could be better.

However, they were very flexible when I returned from maternity leave and there were numerous social occasion.
Pros
Free Christmas events and buffets at Christmas & Easter etc.
Cons
Bad communication
The company is stuck in the dark ages, diversity is a check box exercise not way of life. Salary is terrible. No employee real benefits.

Senior management are disconnected from the reality of the rest of the business - a fair work/life balance whilst managing the workload is impossible given the processes involved and inadequate technology (in fairness there is some investment in technology but it is slow to change).
Pros
Office is in a good location, free biscuits
Cons
Understaffed, poor salary, no investment in people, support for true diversity and flexibility severely lacking
Crawford & Company was a good place to work, however the management communication skills were lacking somewhat. It was a fairly relaxed atmosphere and they were pretty good if you ever needed time off.
Pros
Free tea and coffee/fruit snacks and social activities occasionally
Cons
Bad management communication and not a lot of appreciation
- Attending site inspections and meeting/communicating with Insureds to ascertain the circumstances surrounding claimed events, as well as to determine the extent of damage occasioned to the insured property, interpreting policy wordings and policy schedules, progressing claims towards finality, problem solving, communicating with insurance company personnel, brokers, suppliers etc.
- I am forever learning at Crawfords (this is a big “pro” for me). I learn something new every day. i.e. prioritising, knowledge of the industry, the complexities of certain claims, multitasking, how to handle sensitive situations, interpersonal skills, processes etc.

- Management are supportive, understanding, are great at identifying potential and have provided me with the opportunity to advance in the industry, in a relatively short period of time.

- CONS – Being able to “clock off” and establishing a fair work/life balance whilst maintaining compliance and managing the workload is near impossible given the processes involved

- PROS - For me the best part of my job is the feeling of accomplishment when surpassing both personal and technical industry challenges (that present themselves daily). The ongoing learning and receiving support from well-regarded senior colleagues within the business.
Pros
Supportive, understanding, challanging
Cons
Processes, low wages, work/life balance is non-existent
The company offers great support for further education within the industry and the development of skills relevant to the job; however management is often slow to recognise the skills and experience of existing staff and provide a clear progression path within the company.

The gender gap within the company is highly evident in terms of attitude and opportunities; however salary packaging across the board appears reasonably fair.

There are opportunities to earn great bonuses for remuneration packages however the goal posts are not the same across the board and it is easier for different positions within the company to "earn" a higher bonus than others.

Opportunities for flexible working arrangements are available; however staff can be required to work long hours and overtime with little to no reward or recognition.

There is little support available at a branch level during times of high claim activity and management can be quick to criticize yet slow to congratulate/praise.

Crawford & Company does offer the opportunity for fantastic professional growth and development for those willing to put in the effort, but there is room for improvement.
Pros
Flexibility, great support for further education, opportunity to earn great bonus
Cons
slow to implement change, slow to recognise employee skills and experience, evident gender gap
I have worked for Crawford and Co for almost 20 years, starting out as a receptionist. I came with no background in Loss Adjusting or even knew what this industry was all about, let alone had I even made an insurance claim. I worked in the background as a Claims Handler for over 10 years before I felt I was ready to pursue my career further and go on the road, a decision I didn't take lightly without knowing I had the full support of Crawfords. Crawfords gave me the tools to further my career, paying for my Diploma through the ANZIIF organisation. I was also able to complete many online training sessions to provide me with further tools in going out on the road. The biggest asset for the company is the mentoring program. There are so many people in the organisation that have varied skills and abilities and you can call on anyone in the organisation for advice. Crawford and Co have always believed in my abilities, helped me challenge myself and given me opportunities to do things that I never imagined I was capable of doing.
Pros
Education opportunities to better your career
Cons
Long hours - need to find balance
From the first call requesting an interview, I have had an amazing experience with Crawford. The HR department are very helpful and friendly, my team is absolutely amazing! Even with the stresses of relocating to a different country, everybody has gone out of their way to assist me in making the transition as smooth as possible. I couldn't be happier working at Crawford & Company! There is great career opportunities to grow with in the company and I really can't wait to see what the future holds for me here.
During my time working within the Marine department I was lucky enough to have a manager who was very supportive of my continued development. I was able to gain a lot of experience and knowledge with his patience and involvement.
My role as an Internal loss adjuster with Crawford & Company I conduct office based assessment of domestic and commercial property insurance claims, manage a large Portfolio claims from Start to conclusion, examine claims forms, polices and client instructions to determine coverage, comply with service level agreements to ensure customer service, and meet and exceed key performance indicators.
Pros
Poor Management Support - A lot of people leaving
Cons
Very demanding company
A busy workplace, Crawford's takes their work as leaders in the Insurance Adjuster market seriously. All staff complete work to their utmost potential, as well as having a laugh.
Most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside supportive colleagues and learning from them. Large company which is now shifting some work off shore and now reducing staff members.
Insurance loss adjusters whom provide service to insurers, agents / brokers and above all, the insured after an insured event.
My day would start with allocating work to the different states of Australia. Constantly problem solving and directing inquiries from officers from different insurance companies and the general public. I also register claims and relieve the receptionist at times.