CSIRO Employee Reviews

I enjoyed most of time with CSIRO
researcher (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Eastern Suburbs VIC24 February 2018
I had wonderful time with CSIRO. This was my first and last job. I think myself I was very lucky guy because I worked at very good organisation and worked with very good people for around 30 years.

My main working area was experimental work involving
* creation of novel ideas
* negotiation with possible clients
* application of knowledge
* carrying out experimental work
* writing report, publishing professional journals and patents
* supervising junior staff and PhD students
Pros
very interesting variety works
Cons
some pressure
Very professional and had a great table tennis competition
Filing Clerk and Mail Distributor (Former Employee) –  Mount Waverley VIC15 December 2017
Filing and preparing files for delivery to different departments. Interesting subjects, included mining information. Prior to computers I learned how to use a word processor. Wonderful place to work at. Hardest part was filling in at reception and trying to learn the telephone system. Social aspect was great
Pros
Lunchtime table tennis competitions
Cons
Not understanding a lot of the work that was being done by the department
Fantastic work environment
Research Student (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT26 November 2017
A busy schedule, and practical rather than theory. I learnt most techniques that I hadn't been exposed to. I was led and mentored by a wonderful supervisor. Hardest part was when the weather was unbearable. Most enjoyable part is the willingness of former colleagues to help when consulted.
research assistant
Research Assistance and Technical assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD15 November 2017
Duties: involved with proteomics project: using HPLC and MS/MS Spectroscopy, Sample Preparation, Protein extraction with different protocols then compare results to find the best Protocol for protein extraction, digestion, identification and quantifying protein using proteomics, mass spectrometry (5600 TripleTOF, 6500 QTRAP) and software (Multiquant data analysis and Protein Pilot DB searching) also report to supervisor and present the result at meeting.
environement de travail agréable
researcher (Former Employee) –  Perth, Western Australia9 July 2017
L'équipe avec laquelle j'ai pu travailler était agréable, prête à discuter et échanger. L'accès au matériel était facile.
Productive, relaxed and focused
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD23 May 2017
Excellent learning environment, exposure is high with researchers there always wiling to teach you and land you a helping hand.
One must go all out if he/she wants to learn and pick up new skills and knowledge.
Pros
Willing to teach
Cons
CSIRO was an interesting and innovative place to work at
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Lindfield NSW21 December 2016
A typical day at work:
Meeting with my supervisor to discuss the day's work. Setting objectives for the day. The rest of the day cover checking and sending emails, programming and research. In addition to these task I would often meet up with my supervisor or other team members for a second meeting.
A fun and challenging workplace
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Sydney Eastern Suburbs NSW14 October 2016
The most important part was what I learned. I went from having no experience with Java at all, to over 6 months on the job experience. My level of understanding of Java would now sit at a intermediate to advanced level.

Learning how to program for serial communication, create GUIs, populate tables, translate GPS messages and develop network communication.
Productive and enjoy working with great people
Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  Clayton North VIC29 June 2016
A good balance of administrative tasks.

Extensive diary management for the Research Director, coordinating meetings, travel and various administrative duties.
Pros
Flexibilty
Interesting workplace
Research Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Werribee VIC30 May 2016
I enjoyed a wide range of projects and learnt a wide range of skills.
Work was varied and allowed for great learning opportunities.
The people are friendly and helpful
I made some good friends.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Ravenshoe QLD28 March 2016
yesterday was old and many people are birds in they're own minds however the moon is made of gravy and the sun is purple like a flying koala.
Software engineer (Former Employee) –  Hobart26 March 2016
Great place to work with outstanding work-life balance. Some research will progress to real world products and businesses. Talented coworkers and managers.
Pros
Great hours, interesting research.
Cons
Must be self motivated to achieve great things.
High School Work Experience
Materials Science and Engineering Faculty (Former Employee) –  Clayton VIC8 March 2016
Enjoyable experience where i was taught to program in C+ and analyse various photos and using C+ to examine various things as well as program a light sensing vehicle that i built and successfully programmed to manoeuvre around a given circuit. The material science and engineering department was very friendly and helpful and taught me many things during the two short weeks i was there.
Very supportive team
Personal Assistant to the Executive HR Manager (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD28 February 2016
Working for CSIRO has given me lots of opportunities to learn and grow.
My team and my manager are very supportive and help each other.
Fantastic people, high importance on the agriculture industry, rewarding career
Disease Assay Technician (Former Employee) –  Black Mountain ACT15 January 2016
All round excellent place to work, rewarding and exciting, gained various skills and knowledge, everyday was different.
Pros
rewarding career
Cons
long hours sometimes
Excellent experience
Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Highett, VIC5 January 2016
Varied work learning all aspects of engineering projects.

Worked hands on in fields of mechanical and electrical working with steel and timber fabrication and electronic instrumentation and data logging.

Worked with an American Grad student doing software programming and gaining experience working in a team of multi-disciplined engineering and technical staff.
Pros
Great experience working in a team
Cons
low pay (student placement), sometimes boring work
Great institution
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Perth WA1 November 2015
CSIRO is proper example of what a scientific institution should be. Sadly, it cannot compete in salaries with the institutions from the private sector ,reason why they loose continuously qualified man power.
Pros
life balance
Cons
Salary
Fun, creative and supportive environment
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  North Ryde, NSW18 September 2015
This was by far the best team I have ever worked with. People that loved science and had as much fun letting people know about it as they could, because promoting science as a career was one of the prime reasons for the organisation.

My role was a supporting one, but none the less my advice was sought, valued and acknowledged. Brilliant manager, I never heard a cross word from him.

On the down side the labs and storage area were dilapidated, and I was one of many made redundant on a political whim of an incoming federal government.
Pros
Friendliest, most supportive team ever!
Cons
- Some labs and storage areas were quite dilapidated.
Csiro
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD10 September 2015
A great place to work and learn. Brisbane is an amazing city to explore Ozi culture and life style. Life balance at CSIRO, good paid.
Excelente centro de pesquisa
Trainee industrial (Former Employee) –  Townsville, QLD14 March 2015
O centro de pesquisa conta com as mais modernas tecnologias nas areas de agricultura e estudos de resursos naturais. Ambiente de trabalho legal, com equipe fortemente comprometida no desevolvimento de inovações e descobertas cientificas.