CSIRO
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

43: CSIRO Employee Reviews

Australia43 reviews

4.1Work–Life Balance

It was a vibrant exciting place to work

Whilst I worked at CSIRO it was a friendly vibrant environment with exciting new developments for the whole of Australia in both health and food science and all other science

unwelcoming

cliquey work culture, some areas very male dominated, not woman-friendly. bosses always looking for things you're doing wrongthey hate part timers and temps, corporate culture, do not try to join in on any fun work activities as a casual, they will shut you down. have to act like one of the boys to survive

Pros

good pay, flexibility

Cons

casuals, temps and part timers get bad treatment

Home of innovation and technology

The workplace is very good, work pressure is very low. Also the work flow is constantly changing, so everyday is with new challenges. You can see variety of advanced technologies and future edge projects undertaken by the CSIRO's genius scientists.

Surprisingly, a very relaxed atmosphere with a flexible work schedule

It seems that, at least in the Kensington arm of CSIRO, that the environment is very welcoming and open and the work hours are flexible in a way that really allows people there to get things done as is necessary, while having time to relax and refocus. It is a govrnment organisation and, as such, there is a bit of red tape to deal with, but on the whole, every day I am there I feel welcomed and a part of the team, despite me only being a summer intern there.

Good

Very good working environment. This is the place where a creative person can create his innovation if he/she desires to. More job security needed for the employees.

Extremely Import Work

Great place to work with brilliant remote working technology. CSIRO is also doing extremely important work for Australia/Word's future. Work site are all very usual.

Productive R&D lab where I felt great working in, amazing colleagues and great multicural environment

Great place to work in, with a good balance job/life and very skilled and kind researchers. Amazing research application fields with decent salary, even for interns. Definitely a place I recommend to work in.

Bullied by staff from day one a toxic environment with an inferior inexperienced manager

I came from a security background whereby l asistedeveryone l strongly believesd in teamwork, however that was never the case at CSIRO l shoud of complained to the anti-bullying personnel who visited me, but l was over it,l was so happy to be employed at CSIRO,l never imagined in all my working years it would be so bad

great

Only went to it for a couple days, but the staff were professional and knowledgable. Everyone was nice and accepting, and more than happy to help. 10/10

Mentally exciting, but unstable environment

Collaboration with some of the top experts in their field, but budget cuts caused a lot of anxiety within the staff and made the working environment strained.

Limitless opportunities but no job security

Everyone is afraid of losing their job all the time since the organisation is shrinking and the government is cutting down on funds in this sector. But still a great place with limitless opportunities.

Deffinetly a learning experience about different soils plus what lives in them or whats good for gardining and plants worth learning about

Working with CSIRO is an absolutely a very some what challenging and learning experience I will remember. The people of CSIRO became like family to me

Work life balance

Lot of cool projects available and the people are intelligent. But there is hardly any teams or any team work. All work on their own project and no sort of discussion regarding the same expect for the one with team lead.

Pros

work life balance, flexiility

Cons

very slow in research

Interesting place

It has its advantages, but if you want to move on be prepared to gain a degree. No much ways to excel as they only look at administration. Most of jobs also are based on traineeships.

Average place to work

It's not possible to review the whole of CSIRO as it's a large organisation. In my area, work ranged from very interesting to pointless. It's a slow moving workplace with a lot of wastage. Hardest part of the job is dealing with management, who often use bullying tactics and the like to improve their position. But this is only in my section, I believe most of the organisation are very good to work for.

Pros

Interesting place to work

Cons

Bad management

Still a research culture, but constrained by politics, finances

As a research environment, there is a lot of emphasis on administration and management. Blue sky thinkers will be disappointed, but industry-focused research is supported by some good middle management personnel.

Work place and health well being

My role at CSIRO was a very attention detail which I enjoy greatly the team very professional at all times.They also encourage us anticipate all of us

Pros

n/a

Cons

n/a

I enjoyed most of time with CSIRO

I had wonderful time with CSIRO. This was my first and last job. I think myself I was very lucky guy because I worked at very good organisation and worked with very good people for around 30 years. My main working area was experimental work involving * creation of novel ideas * negotiation with possible clients * application of knowledge * carrying out experimental work * writing report, publishing professional journals and patents * supervising junior staff and PhD students

Pros

very interesting variety works

Cons

some pressure

Very professional and had a great table tennis competition

Filing and preparing files for delivery to different departments. Interesting subjects, included mining information. Prior to computers I learned how to use a word processor. Wonderful place to work at. Hardest part was filling in at reception and trying to learn the telephone system. Social aspect was great

Pros

Lunchtime table tennis competitions

Cons

Not understanding a lot of the work that was being done by the department

Fantastic work environment

A busy schedule, and practical rather than theory. I learnt most techniques that I hadn't been exposed to. I was led and mentored by a wonderful supervisor. Hardest part was when the weather was unbearable. Most enjoyable part is the willingness of former colleagues to help when consulted.

research assistant

Duties: involved with proteomics project: using HPLC and MS/MS Spectroscopy, Sample Preparation, Protein extraction with different protocols then compare results to find the best Protocol for protein extraction, digestion, identification and quantifying protein using proteomics, mass spectrometry (5600 TripleTOF, 6500 QTRAP) and software (Multiquant data analysis and Protein Pilot DB searching) also report to supervisor and present the result at meeting.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CSIRO. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• CSIRO