CSIRO
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

CSIRO Employee Reviews

Australia41 reviews
The workplace is very good, work pressure is very low. Also the work flow is constantly changing, so everyday is with new challenges. You can see variety of advanced technologies and future edge projects undertaken by the CSIRO's genius scientists.
It seems that, at least in the Kensington arm of CSIRO, that the environment is very welcoming and open and the work hours are flexible in a way that really allows people there to get things done as is necessary, while having time to relax and refocus. It is a govrnment organisation and, as such, there is a bit of red tape to deal with, but on the whole, every day I am there I feel welcomed and a part of the team, despite me only being a summer intern there.
Very good working environment. This is the place where a creative person can create his innovation if he/she desires to. More job security needed for the employees.
Great place to work with brilliant remote working technology. CSIRO is also doing extremely important work for Australia/Word's future. Work site are all very usual.
Great place to work in, with a good balance job/life and very skilled and kind researchers.

Amazing research application fields with decent salary, even for interns.

Definitely a place I recommend to work in.
I came from a security background whereby l asistedeveryone l strongly believesd in teamwork, however that was never the case at CSIRO l shoud of complained to the anti-bullying personnel who visited me, but l was over it,l was so happy to be employed at CSIRO,l never imagined in all my working years it
would be so bad
Only went to it for a couple days, but the staff were professional and knowledgable. Everyone was nice and accepting, and more than happy to help. 10/10
Collaboration with some of the top experts in their field, but budget cuts caused a lot of anxiety within the staff and made the working environment strained.
Everyone is afraid of losing their job all the time since the organisation is shrinking and the government is cutting down on funds in this sector. But still a great place with limitless opportunities.
Working with CSIRO is an absolutely a very some what challenging and learning experience I will remember. The people of CSIRO became like family to me
Lot of cool projects available and the people are intelligent. But there is hardly any teams or any team work. All work on their own project and no sort of discussion regarding the same expect for the one with team lead.
Pros
work life balance, flexiility
Cons
very slow in research
It has its advantages, but if you want to move on be prepared to gain a degree.

No much ways to excel as they only look at administration. Most of jobs also are based on traineeships.
It's not possible to review the whole of CSIRO as it's a large organisation.

In my area, work ranged from very interesting to pointless. It's a slow moving workplace with a lot of wastage.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with management, who often use bullying tactics and the like to improve their position.

But this is only in my section, I believe most of the organisation are very good to work for.
Pros
Interesting place to work
Cons
Bad management
As a research environment, there is a lot of emphasis on administration and management. Blue sky thinkers will be disappointed, but industry-focused research is supported by some good middle management personnel.
My role at CSIRO was a very attention detail which I enjoy greatly the team very professional at all times.They also encourage us anticipate all of us
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
I had wonderful time with CSIRO. This was my first and last job. I think myself I was very lucky guy because I worked at very good organisation and worked with very good people for around 30 years.

My main working area was experimental work involving

* creation of novel ideas

* negotiation with possible clients

* application of knowledge

* carrying out experimental work

* writing report, publishing professional journals and patents

* supervising junior staff and PhD students
Pros
very interesting variety works
Cons
some pressure
Filing and preparing files for delivery to different departments. Interesting subjects, included mining information. Prior to computers I learned how to use a word processor. Wonderful place to work at. Hardest part was filling in at reception and trying to learn the telephone system. Social aspect was great
Pros
Lunchtime table tennis competitions
Cons
Not understanding a lot of the work that was being done by the department
A busy schedule, and practical rather than theory. I learnt most techniques that I hadn't been exposed to. I was led and mentored by a wonderful supervisor. Hardest part was when the weather was unbearable. Most enjoyable part is the willingness of former colleagues to help when consulted.
Duties: involved with proteomics project: using HPLC and MS/MS Spectroscopy, Sample Preparation, Protein extraction with different protocols then compare results to find the best Protocol for protein extraction, digestion, identification and quantifying protein using proteomics, mass spectrometry (5600 TripleTOF, 6500 QTRAP) and software (Multiquant data analysis and Protein Pilot DB searching) also report to supervisor and present the result at meeting.
L'équipe avec laquelle j'ai pu travailler était agréable, prête à discuter et échanger. L'accès au matériel était facile.
Excellent learning environment, exposure is high with researchers there always wiling to teach you and land you a helping hand.
One must go all out if he/she wants to learn and pick up new skills and knowledge.
Pros
Willing to teach
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at CSIRO. Our community is ready to answer.