Curtin University
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Curtin University Employee Reviews

4.0Work–Life Balance

It is a good place to work and people from different places.

Everyday will bring a different experience as students are from diverse background & overseas. We get to meet students from multicultural background ie languages.

Pros

Good place to study n practice study.

Cons

Too rigid.

Pleasant Environment

Good place to work, everything was nearby, but pay was poor compared to private industry. Pleasant environment to work in, but difficult to get some things done.

Pros

extra time off at Christmas

Cons

Very high peaks in work load

Health and wellness facilities are provided to staff at minimal cost. Sporting facilities are also available for staff to use. staff to

Curtin University is a good place to work. The University encourages work life balance. Also advancement through education and some courses are available for staff. When I was at Curtin my daughter is only 5 years old. I used to take her to the childcare facility near Humanities and see her on my lunch break.

Pros

Diversity and every one is treated equally.

Cons

Too far from my home.

Poor management and lack of opportunity

The mantra "this is how we do things here" rings true. After 3 years of being treated like an outsider, I left. Half the people I met were excellent, but there was an old guard - it is a small pond, and with no where to go, people hung on to their jobs well beyond their use-by date. They breathed all the oxygen and pushed other people out. People were frustrated. I got tired of hearing the complaints.

Pros

Salary, flexible work, modest work expectations

Cons

Lack of adequate office space, lack of transparency, little hope of change or progression, sexist culture.

World Class University, great campus, excellent research record

University Culture is vastly different to a corporate or commercial organisation, you focus on helping students learn, and passing your knowledge and experience on in clear and easy to understand ways. The campus facilities are world class, and working here is delightful.

terrible mis-management of staff

terrible place to work, long time employee (33 years), the management systematically reducing staff, pay and working conditions without remorse. I grew to hate it there and left last year after working there with a career for so long, this tells you how badly I feel about it

A University that has lost its way.

This University that has lost its way. No consideration for staff workloads or long term career progression. Too focussed on generating income from overseas students at the expense of quality research.

I work online

The online environment is good with a teaching load I can handle. The marking can be stressful and should be better paid. The only weakness is the ease at which students can pass without participating on the blackboard.

A sessional perspective

As a sessional at Curtin there was not much communication for quite a while then there was a good deal of information, which was pretty much from one or two staff. Much of the communications were forwarded 'opportunities' which was okay but in terms of managing or developing in the workplace there was zilch, you just did what you were employed for. It was down to those who hung around schmoozing with the managers or senior lecturers who got into the 'in crowd' and I am always a bot sceptical of people who have time to hang around being ultra friendly. Oh yes, and many of the staff their were related to each other so it's a bit of a 'cult' environment.

trabalho voluntario de integracao dos alunos

Ajudava na organizacao de eventos dentro da universidade afim de integras os alunos estrangeiros como eu era

Jobs at Curtin University

See more jobs

Great Workplace

Great Workplace and amazingly educated, experienced professionals to work with. Highly motivated staff, very friendly. I learnt a lot working here with great minds of the Industry.

Curtin University has become a wonderful instituion since it conception back in the 70's.

Worked well with academics and their demands on productivity. Wonderful place to work. Involved within the Social Committee and organised lots of student presentations and happy hours, eg. Melbourne cup day, etc.

Good employer but could be Great!

Curtin pays well and compared to other businesses, there are some great perks, however; -Having flexible start/finish hours depends on the area you work within. -Staff benefits/perks seem to disappear every few years. Overall, the worst thing about Curtin is that there is little to no staff development/carer progression programs. To be considered for a higher role within Curtin, than your existing, you need to have direct experience in that role or you need to know someone from that team.

Good and bad points

Dynamic and fast moving university that is open to new ideas and innovation. However, as with most universities professional staff are treated as second class employees, bureaucracy can be challenging and resources are tight

Excellent advancement opportunities

Very good workplace culture and learning opportunities. The University has very high standards and expectations and management is always eager to listen to its employees.

The work environment was healthy, people were helpful, work life balance was excellant, the boss was kind and understanding. Over all it was a fantastic experience to work there.

Very energetic and dedicated to work

The company had a very dedicated work force and it had fun element in the office hours and outside the office hours as well. It was in the advisory department I was working for.

Pros

Trainings provided to the employees

Cons

Very challenging

Residential Assistant at Vickery House

- managed 300 residents on a daily basis. looking after their lockouts, managing events, making budgets, doing accounting, stock taking, etc. - great work environment with people from all cultures. - most enjoyable part of the job was the people around, very supportive, made my work easier.

Pros

work place was in my student housing where i resided

Cons

work load on some days

A place that expands your mind and challenges your capabilities

Curtin gave me the chance to explore my technical capabilities as well as contribute to the innovative and everchanging culture in both the administration and the education side.

Great

Awesome chance for uni students to conveniently live it up. I was able to fit in shifts with my uni and other work comitments so this worked very well for me.

Good employer

Not enough hours for a Contract Tutor to afford to pay bills. Supplemented income with private tuition. I was on an hourly rate and only had 8 professional contact hours per week. Considering the amount of out of class preparation involved, I felt under appreciated.

Pros

Dr Phil Bourne a great mentor

Cons

Not enough hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Curtin University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Curtin University