Curtin University
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Curtin University Culture reviews

The mantra "this is how we do things here" rings true. After 3 years of being treated like an outsider, I left. Half the people I met were excellent, but there was an old guard - it is a small pond, and with no where to go, people hung on to their jobs well beyond their use-by date. They breathed all the oxygen and pushed other people out. People were frustrated. I got tired of hearing the complaints.
Pros
Salary, flexible work, modest work expectations
Cons
Lack of adequate office space, lack of transparency, little hope of change or progression, sexist culture.
University Culture is vastly different to a corporate or commercial organisation, you focus on helping students learn, and passing your knowledge and experience on in clear and easy to understand ways. The campus facilities are world class, and working here is delightful.
Great Workplace and amazingly educated, experienced professionals to work with. Highly motivated staff, very friendly. I learnt a lot working here with great minds of the Industry.
Very good workplace culture and learning opportunities. The University has very high standards and expectations and management is always eager to listen to its employees.
- managed 300 residents on a daily basis. looking after their lockouts, managing events, making budgets, doing accounting, stock taking, etc. - great work environment with people from all cultures. - most enjoyable part of the job was the people around, very supportive, made my work easier.
Pros
work place was in my student housing where i resided
Cons
work load on some days
Curtin gave me the chance to explore my technical capabilities as well as contribute to the innovative and everchanging culture in both the administration and the education side.
University values are closely adhered to in all level. Unit Coordinators, support staff and fellow Lecturers are supportive, well-mannered, easy to get along and competent their roles.
Pros
Diverse learning environment
Cons
As a casual, no long-term work security
Working at curtin has been great my typucal day is meeting new staff and student helping them with there inquiries while maintaining i high standard of customer service. Learned on the job is part of my role, in which this has given me the experience to learn how deal with all aspects of the job including how to deal with high up management. The culture of the university is very diverse with many cultures. The hardest part of my job is problem solving a issue with printing services, i have a can do attitude and will not give up until the issue is resolved. The most enjoyable part of my job is speaking with my customers relating to them on a daily basis.
Pros
seeing my customers andhave a conversation with them
Cons
low pay rate
A typical day at work was updating training information and delivery of training courses. Providing coaching as required and working with teams who had internal relationship issues. Best part of the job was being involved in the cultural work and also coaching and seeing the positive outcomes of this work.
Pros
Great gardens. Flexible conditions
Cons
Long way to travel
This is a great University to be a part of. The campus is superb, the library is amazing, and the support from my bosses is great. Marking and moderation meetings are paid. Flexible hours make this job very enjoyable.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Mostly sessional contracts on offer
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Curtin University?
Depending on the department and your colleagues this can be a great place to work. I was given a lot of independence which made it a nice place. I would certainly consider going back if the opportunity arose.
Within my department, the culture is friendly and supportive. Outside of my department, however, there have been many issues. Curtin has been going through significant restructuring and budget adjustments and one of the most prominent impacts of this on staff is a significant lack of job security.
Pros
Nice campus
Cons
Job insecurity
I loved this job, I worked in Curtin while in Australia for a year, it was very dynamic and I got to interact with various departments on a daily basis
Very good organisational culture. Friendly management and colleagues, and students eager to learn. Exciting and vibrant learning environment.
Well, the research means you have to do everything and learn them by yourself alone. The hardest part of the job is designing whereas the most enjoyable part is your desired outcome has been accomplished as expected in early beginning.
Pros
Not much
Cons
Dealing with some students.
Everyone in the team were friendly, respective, sociable and easy to approach. I loved working at Curtin University. It had a great work culture. Lots of involvement on campus for staff to be part of. My team were a happy giggly bunch. We had social events organised from time to time. Friday 3pm sundowner, glass of wine with the team. Free use of counselling, health services. Lots to be part of as a staff member
Pros
Cons
stuck at a computer all day in an office with windows that open
Management support is fantastic and you are encouraged to undergo staff development. In the School of Occupational Therapy and Social Work, everyone was really warm and friendly. Facilities were great.