Curtin University
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Curtin University Job Security & Advancement reviews

Curtin University is a good place to work. The University encourages work life balance. Also advancement through education and some courses are available for staff. When I was at Curtin my daughter is only 5 years old. I used to take her to the childcare facility near Humanities and see her on my lunch break.
Pros
Diversity and every one is treated equally.
Cons
Too far from my home.
The mantra "this is how we do things here" rings true. After 3 years of being treated like an outsider, I left. Half the people I met were excellent, but there was an old guard - it is a small pond, and with no where to go, people hung on to their jobs well beyond their use-by date. They breathed all the oxygen and pushed other people out. People were frustrated. I got tired of hearing the complaints.
Pros
Salary, flexible work, modest work expectations
Cons
Lack of adequate office space, lack of transparency, little hope of change or progression, sexist culture.
University Culture is vastly different to a corporate or commercial organisation, you focus on helping students learn, and passing your knowledge and experience on in clear and easy to understand ways. The campus facilities are world class, and working here is delightful.
terrible place to work, long time employee (33 years), the management systematically reducing staff, pay and working conditions without remorse. I grew to hate it there and left last year after working there with a career for so long, this tells you how badly I feel about it
This University that has lost its way. No consideration for staff workloads or long term career progression. Too focussed on generating income from overseas students at the expense of quality research.
The work environment was healthy, people were helpful, work life balance was excellant, the boss was kind and understanding. Over all it was a fantastic experience to work there.
Curtin gave me the chance to explore my technical capabilities as well as contribute to the innovative and everchanging culture in both the administration and the education side.
Awesome chance for uni students to conveniently live it up. I was able to fit in shifts with my uni and other work comitments so this worked very well for me.
Great company to work for. Big company but still seen as an individual. A lot happening on campus, can be a fun as many events happening from day to day.
Curtin University provided a wealth of opportunities for networking, and projects were undertaken in groups with individuals just as invested as I was.
Pros
Great environment, awesome staff.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Curtin University?
An environment to indulge in creative work and to learn. The work team has provided me with good experience and skills that I can polish upon in my future endeavours.
I enjoyed my 11 years at Curtin University. Good staff and management. Friendly environment. Room for advancement. Good management and social environment. Excellent salary.
What can I say? It was a university which are always laid back compared to the corporate world. It was my first job out of uni so it was a great place to start a career and learn. My manager was excellent in every way.
Nice environment, teaching undergraduates is very rewarding. The university offers a number of positions throughout the year in different departments, and when undergoing postgraduate studies it is convenient to find sessional positions within the work/study place.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
sessional
My experience while at Curtin was varied. However, generally, there was a significant lack of management action and a lot of people getting paid to do nothing, such that the work was unevenly distributed amongst the team. These issues were raised with management several times by several employees, but rather than changes being made, those employees were blacklisted as 'pot-stirrers.' This created a very poor, unmotivating working environment.
Depending on the department and your colleagues this can be a great place to work. I was given a lot of independence which made it a nice place. I would certainly consider going back if the opportunity arose.
Within my department, the culture is friendly and supportive. Outside of my department, however, there have been many issues. Curtin has been going through significant restructuring and budget adjustments and one of the most prominent impacts of this on staff is a significant lack of job security.
Pros
Nice campus
Cons
Job insecurity
Skills expansion, varied job experiences, well rounded team and working environment, Comfortable working conditions, on time payment and respectable hourly rate as casual.
Pros
Experiences and free event entry
Cons
yearly staff turn over
Fantastic opportunities to apply theoretical skills in the real world. Great field trip opportunities. Great mentors and staff.
good to work in. managments sometimes are not excellent, but the over all experience is good and I do recommend it for any one.
Tutoring students is a rewarding career and a typical day would involve one on one tutoring with 2nd year students, helping them with homework, assignments and general understanding. Excellent place to work at. Management can be difficult at times but generally work runs smoothly. No co-workers - independent work probably the con of the job
Pros
Flexible working times
Cons
No budget for training, no co-workers
  1. Job Security & Advancement