Curtin University
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Curtin University Pay & Benefits reviews

Good place to work, everything was nearby, but pay was poor compared to private industry. Pleasant environment to work in, but difficult to get some things done.
Pros
extra time off at Christmas
Cons
Very high peaks in work load
The mantra "this is how we do things here" rings true. After 3 years of being treated like an outsider, I left. Half the people I met were excellent, but there was an old guard - it is a small pond, and with no where to go, people hung on to their jobs well beyond their use-by date. They breathed all the oxygen and pushed other people out. People were frustrated. I got tired of hearing the complaints.
Pros
Salary, flexible work, modest work expectations
Cons
Lack of adequate office space, lack of transparency, little hope of change or progression, sexist culture.
Curtin pays well and compared to other businesses, there are some great perks, however; -Having flexible start/finish hours depends on the area you work within. -Staff benefits/perks seem to disappear every few years. Overall, the worst thing about Curtin is that there is little to no staff development/carer progression programs. To be considered for a higher role within Curtin, than your existing, you need to have direct experience in that role or you need to know someone from that team.
Not enough hours for a Contract Tutor to afford to pay bills. Supplemented income with private tuition. I was on an hourly rate and only had 8 professional contact hours per week. Considering the amount of out of class preparation involved, I felt under appreciated.
Pros
Dr Phil Bourne a great mentor
Cons
Not enough hours
I enjoyed my 11 years at Curtin University. Good staff and management. Friendly environment. Room for advancement. Good management and social environment. Excellent salary.
Curtin University has a Professional environment and it is good for someone who wants to improve his talent. In Curtin University I published my article which is a very high level article and it was impossible for me to published it in my own. Curtin University (a trademark of Curtin University of Technology) is an Australian public research university based in Bentley, Perth, Western Australia. The university is named after the 14th Prime Minister of Australia, John Curtin, and is the largest university in Western Australia, with over 58,000 students (as of 2016).
Pros
Very good Professors
Cons
less salary
Brazilian government sponsored me to study in Curtin University.It was an awesome opportunity of studying English and Architecture. The supported me in everything, since the tickets. Financial and emotional help. I was very welcomed by Curtin University and could develop a toughtful and creative study. * below, in salary, I put what I received there from them to live (accomodation, food, transport...). But, they paid tickets (two ways), health plan, help with materials, my English courses and a year of Architecture course at Curtin University - it must be considered.
Pros
Knowledge and support
Cons
Time - obbligation of coming back to Brazil
This is a great University to be a part of. The campus is superb, the library is amazing, and the support from my bosses is great. Marking and moderation meetings are paid. Flexible hours make this job very enjoyable.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Mostly sessional contracts on offer
My experience while at Curtin was varied. However, generally, there was a significant lack of management action and a lot of people getting paid to do nothing, such that the work was unevenly distributed amongst the team. These issues were raised with management several times by several employees, but rather than changes being made, those employees were blacklisted as 'pot-stirrers.' This created a very poor, unmotivating working environment.
It was great working there, everyone is very respectful and kind and willing to help. It does get a bit hectic when the staff and students need your assistance.
Pros
Great co-workers. Good pay and benefits.