Dan Murphy's
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Dan Murphy's Employee Reviews

Australia147 reviews
fast pace
day begins immediately when you walk in, hardest part of the job can be shelving, unloading stock individually despite few members working
management not very friendly and engaging, especially upon the arrival of new team members
Salaried Manager
In most stores I worked at they had a great culture and my store manager backed me was helpful. The last store manager I had in Wilsonton was hopeless, no accountability and if there was, it was for the wrong thing. Overall pretty great place to work and the pay is great compared to other companies in the same role
Only focused on Sales, managers not rewarded
Days are long, expected to work 45 hours only paid for 40. At the end of the year thats $10,000 you have been short paid. Lack of visits and communication with Area Manager.
productive and good team work and a busy schedule
love the friendly environment they have all among the management and the staff, overall the company is quiet big and requires serious and hard working people with bubbly nature.
fun and great team
great team but not so fantastic management and poor corporate that dont care about staff or team members, the team is outgoing and try hard and the pay doesnt quite reflect the effort put in for these employees
Alright if you can stick it out past the favoritism
Decent working atmosphere however if you are new they may be very likely to give you limited shifts on days/times that more established staff do not wish to work such as Friday and Saturday evenings only. Presumably if you can stick it out until the next batch of hiring then you'll be given preferential treatment too.
Love working with the Dan's Fam!
Thoroughly enjoy my time with Dan Murphy, it hasn't all been easy but it has been very well rewarding. Have a great team, amazing Managers. Learn a lot about service to customers and also serving the wider community. Have gained a lot of experience and knowledge on the different types of products that we sell, and overall how to give the best customer experience.
Great first job
My first real job ever and it has given me a good insight to the working life.
Working at Dan Murphy's has helped me become a better worker with their fast-paced environment, managers were kind and caring for the employees well-being above all else.

Dan Murphy's was not only about selling alcohol to customers but they try educated employee's about the alcohol's history, ingredients, process and ageing. This gave me a better understanding about the different products which let me help customers better.
Pros
Caring managment
Cons
Can be stressful at times
Very casual but physically demanding
Roles include load organisation on the shop floor and storage room, as well as presentation of displays and promotions.

Extra roles include advancing product knowledge through tastings with customers, product representatives and team members, so as to provided a welcoming and knowledgeable interaction with customers. This includes hosting events where customers sit down and taste multiple beverages while learning about the products and enjoying a bite to eat over a couple of hours.
great job but not for a life long career
A fine place to work when looking to start getting a little more experience in the job force. can learn a great deal about a lot of different things..
Good Place to work
it is a good place to work and people were communal where you learnt new things.
the wages were paid duly and fairly. Managers were supporting and understanding
Management is terrible
They employe you as stock replenishment at $20.82 per hour, but you actually become Customer Service and Stock Replenishment. Management carry on about how to work saftely but then constantly push you to meet unrealistic deadlines becuase of thier poor performance in organising rosters and staff. You are often yelled at in front of staff and cusomters by management for working as hard as you can, but not good enough for management. If you call in sick - be prepared to be made feel like scum by management. There is extreme amounts of double and triple handling of stock, which is counter productive.
fast paced
It is a customer service position and in a fast paced environment. You also work on the registers and the tasting table serving samples to customers and you need to be able to close a sale.
Intressant och rolig arbetsplats
Det var en ny miljö för mig att jobba i, men med produkter jag hade mycel kännedom av.
Pointless managers.
Dan's seems to have a glut of pointless managers, who have been working there long enough to have recieved enough minimal pay raises that they have to be promoted to management to justify their salary, regardless of their complete inability to manage time or people.

The product of this being: theres no room to move up if you're a new employee. Because there's a useless clock watcher in each management position currently who isn't going anywhere, and a line of useless wanna-be clock watchers ahead of you.
A Secure Road to Nowhere Meaningful.
After working for Dan Murphy's for almost 6 years, I've experienced several stores and several management teams. It is true that each store has a different culture, so if you can, find out how the store you are applying for operates. My experience was not so favourable. My store management functioned initially on the model of Stalin's rule, under the original management - we would walk around with our heads down, terrified to speak to one another for fear of being sent to the Gulag (Manager's office). After some years that management was disposed and change arrived. Things became better at the store level, and quite enjoyable as a whole experience - so it does depend on the store management to a degree to set the store culture. After the tyranny ended, I learnt many more things and quite enjoyed working at Dan Murphy's.

However, the real issue was the several poor interactions with upper management (that is management that is at a level outside of the store, usually taking care of several stores). The discrimination and total disinterest towards the day-to-day floor staff was incredible. My greetings were ignored, my suggestions fell on deaf-ears and mocked openly because they came from floor-staff. When disagreement occurred, the management would often flaunt their status and even their pay-grade as to why they shouldn't be argued with. One staff member had been unfairly fired due to a heated argument over uniform with the area manager. But with the little resources he had (and the little he had lost in his termination), there was little need to pursue justice. All the while,
 - more...
Pros
Easy work, simple tasks
Cons
Hours are usually 9-3, or 3-9. Depending on the store.
Good environment to enjoy working
Very enjoyable atmosphere and customers, staff and management were great. I loved the store set up and the ease to refer customers to the section they requested. I have applied again to work for Dan Murphys, as my contract ran out...fingers crossed.
Great teams and management, really supportive. Everyday was something different with customers but always supported to grow knowledge in products and specials.
Great people
Great people to work with, great management
Training is 100 percent included

Work life balance is east to come by

You get to taste the products

It's a fun environment
Great Work Experience
Great Work Experience. Best team. Best work culture. Close to my place. Very good Store/Service Manager. Overall best experience of my life. I enjoyed working thoroughly.
Great team to work with
Great fast paced environment to work in. Super supportive team members and endless opportunities for tastings and experiences to develop product knowledge.