Dan Murphy's Employee Reviews

Dans the man? No he ain’t
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Midland WA12 September 2018
I worked at Dans for a few months over the Christmas period.
Initially it was great, super busy and spent most of my time helping with customers needs as they want you to do.
What they don’t tell is once the Christmas period is over, the store is very understaffed and your roll becomes that of a shelf stacker, which is fine I suppose if you want a mind numbing job and don’t mind lots of repetition lifting cartons of beer all day but if you prefer customer service then don’t expect too much of it at Dans as you’ll be too busy stocking shelves to help anyone.
Pros
Busy, trying new products
Cons
Too much heavy lifting and poor management
If only I could give this place 0 stars
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Coolum Beach QLD30 August 2018
Where do I begin
Being micro managed is in understatement
Not only do management treat you like a second class employee but they belittle and bully you
If your a casual employee and can’t come in at the drop of a hat be prepared to not get any hours
Most store managers strive to motivate the staff not here, you need to do things faster even if it means injury.
I have worked in customer service and bottle shops for close to 20yrs, She would have to be the most incompetent store manager I’ve ever worked for
Pros
Some awesome staff mates
Cons
Incompetent manager
Dan Murphy's is a 4 out of 5
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW26 August 2018
4 stars - Job Work/Life Balance
3 stars Salary/Benefits. Working overtime with no extra pay.
4 stars - Job Security/Advancement
4 stars Management & Job Culture
Good if you have a thick skin and a strong back
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT22 August 2018
Managers expected every employee to be experts in every single product after showing a series of 3 min videos.

Managers will undermine you to make a sale.
Pros
Job rotation
Cons
Being undermined by management. Expecting too much from a low paid job.
Dan Murphy's has a positive and friendly work environment. Excellent customer service reputation.
Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC23 July 2018
The range of products is extensive and the prices are the lowest in the liquor trade. Customers come in mainly for that reason but I strongly believe that they also come to Dan's for the product knowledge that the staff have and for the manner in which they are treated, they get good staff service.

A typical day at work is made up of setting up the tasting table and teaching staff and customers about the wine that we are promoting, completing planograms ,Ltos , doing the ends for advertised stock and the blueprints. My product knowledge is extensive and my ability to give the customers the quality service they desire with confidence.

The Managers that I have worked with have great people skills, have good product knowledge,always give positive feed back to there staff. Another great attribute to the management and the company is the slow turnover of staff.

The culture of the workplace is great ,all the staff get on well are respectful to each other which makes for an enjoyable place to work.

The hardest part of the job is keeping ahead with staff training.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with and offering quality merchandise at low prices and good friendly customer service.
Pros
a good working inviroment, great skillful and staff oriantated managment
Cons
too many un trained casual staff. Could do better in training.
Don't really have one
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Canning Vale WA19 July 2018
always getting abused and threatened by thieves.
no advancement for staff that work there.
i am not happy working here so why would i recommend it to others
Good job if you’re in Uni
Duty Manager /Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Corrimal NSW4 June 2018
I’ve worked here for quite a long time now and in my time I’ve had casuals get more hours then me, mornings shifts and I’m stuck with nights, no one taking responsibility for their actions. You can’t balance Work and life otherwise you’re a bad person. Girls get stuck on registers and us boys have to do all of the load all the time. It’s quite sexist if you ask me. I’ve been trying to get into management and they don’t teach you anything to pursue that. So you’re stuck being an assistant with terrible pay and casuals get to do less work and get better hours
Pros
Meeting friends
Great Job!
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wilsonton QLD14 May 2018
Vigorous learning and knowledge of all products at Dan Murphy's
Learning new customer service skills and up-selling products
Engaging with customers. Learning to have a friendly approach
Pros
Alcohol Tasting!
Another horrible woolworths company
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Queanbeyan NSW20 April 2018
I got treated like an animal. felt like i was not good enough every shift. AGAIN expect way too much from one person. Not paid well enough for what you have to put up with. One store manager is the reason i had to leave as he treated me so bad i burst into tears whilst serving a customer. Was very embarrassing and made me feel sick to my stomach that i was treated this way.
Pros
they bring in sandwiches during Christmas time
Cons
Everything.
Micro management at its greatest
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Coolum Beach QLD10 April 2018
If you want to be treated like a second class employee and be micro managed every day
Apply for dans at Coolum
Staff members are great but management are incompetent
Do you really want $19 ph to put up with mismanagement
Pros
Awesome staff
Cons
Incompetent manager
Bad management
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Colyton NSW4 April 2018
Not a supporting team
And if they don’t like ya they pin something on you and get rid of you or no one helps you and they wait till you stuff up yourself so they don’t take the blame
Great place to work, good energy, good management
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carnes Hill NSW3 April 2018
New things to learn every day. management is supportive of new experience and learning experiences and encourage you to learn new things and make personal achievements. Very encouraging and understanding in terms of work-life balance and needing to take time off work.
Bad management
Sales Assistant/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Queensland14 March 2018
Have worked there a number of years. In that time a consistently vindictive duty manager has got away with bullying and intimidation and the upper management never address it so consequently good staff leave all the time.
Pros
Hours
Cons
As above
Best place I've worked yet
Digital Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  26 Waterloo Street, Surry Hills, Sydney13 March 2018
After many jobs I have finally found a place that I can really enjoy. It's a very fast-paced with a friendly culture. They give you everything you need to succeed in the role. No complaints, can see myself here for a long time.
Pros
Management, Diverse employee, LGBT friendly
Cons
Building is slightly dated but I hear we're getting a refurb in May
Great Team
CUSTOMER ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Nerang QLD8 February 2018
Great team and everyone works together and helps each other. Team are easy to work with and make time being at work enjoyable. I have enjoyed myself here
Loved working at Dan Murphy's
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toowoomba QLD5 February 2018
Best work environment, wonderful team of people. Management are warm, friendly and fair. Very professional place of work, but also fun and a great environment.
Pros
Working alongside a great team
Cons
Not many hours available for casuals.
Easy work, keeps you fit, good team culture
Stock Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southern River WA/Canning Vale WA & Cannington WA31 January 2018
Great job for many years has helped me pay the bills, kept me fit and doesn't require too many brain cells so great for people who are studying/have other commitments
Pros
Fitness, always moving, customer engagement, good team culture
Cons
Have to work 100x harder during holiday period for same pay
It All Depends On The Managment
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC14 January 2018
I have worked with the Dan Murphy's company for almost a year and a half now (17 months). Within this time I have had the opportunity of working at two different stores. My first store was great. I left only because I moved house. My second store started off great and then a couple of months in we started having issues with management. We had 4 store managers in 3months, all occurring during the Christmas/ New Years season. Some of these managers were very good at their job. Some of these managers couldn't hold down a budget. I believe your experiences all depend on who is running your store.
Pros
Friendly Staff, Customers
Cons
Cut contracted hours due to lack of budget.
Enjoyable work
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Erina NSW4 January 2018
A great retail job for anyone who wants to get into the world of alcohol and learn about different wines, spritis, beers and ciders.
It is a large and exciting company that values knowledge, character and its customers
Pros
great colleges
Cons
can be stressfull in busy periods
Not happy
Customer Service/Product Demo Tasting (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW15 December 2017
No advancement, poor moral, not good wages, management pass the buck and hide in the office. Feel let down and disjointed on a daily basis whilst at work
Pros
Na
Cons
Na