Dan Murphy's
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Dan Murphy's Employee Reviews

Extensive training over the whole product range provided; many staff with great product knowledge. Depending on the management in the store - the store could be run efficiently and with the staff's knowledge and expertise could be used in the right way/time; acknowledgement of experience is crucial.
Pros
clean, safe work environment
Cons
during peak trading periods Xmas etc.... expected to get tasks done quickly, not always safely.
Worked their for 8 years. Got treated like filth most of that time. Too many changers in Management, each wanting to implement their own style and prove themselves to area. Also too much favouritism.
Pros
Like minded colleagues.
Cons
Long hours. Management constant power tripping.
Be in the “in club” or watch your back. Constantly threatened I’d lose my job. Then wonder why attitude was poor.Area manager non supportive and Store Managers are unprofessional and don’t contribute much
Pros
Alcohol
Cons
Long hours, be prepared to work you breaks or work back to get the job done
It's been productive and fun experience working at Dan Murphy's and people are friendly and supportive. They conduct team events and team lunches on a monthly basis.
Pros
Free breakfast and tea/coffee
working at dans has been the best period of my life so far, I’ve made so real good friends who I know will have my back, I’ve gained a lot of confidence in my social skills and in my knowledge of wines, spirits and beers. The management are easy going, friendly and will always try and be cooperative with your weekly schedule.
Pros
friendly environment, lots of shifts.
Cons
not much opportunity to advance
As a business the company does well, it has its fingers in many holes and departments to head up everything imaginable, from Cleaning and Security, to Purchasing and Ordering Stock. These departments all work outside of each other and outside of the retail business itself but it certainly provides a guideline that allows you to carry on without too much interference. The leadership team often want to go further and will engage in the corporate culture to do so, but as a team member it is very simple and just boils down to a little bit of hard labour and a lot of customer engagement.
Pros
Decent casual pay
Cons
Bad Salary
I have worked at 2 Dan's outlets now and both groups of staff were awsome to work with. Was offered job advancement at both outlets. Had other jobs whilst working at both outlets and manager always worked around my other rosters so I could continue to work for them.
Pros
Fitted in with my other job
Cons
Didn't pay quite enough
Covered Christmas season. After that was over I worked 8 hours in 3 weeks. Was employed as a casual but was paid as part time. When I enquired as to why that was, I was told they don't hire casuals any more, only part time. WAWheenquired
Pros
Team members were great
Cons
Not enough hours to support me financially
Managers can be very rude and off hand. You can loose hours very quickly if the team, or management do not like you. Favouritism with rostering, and workloads. Some of the northern suburbs Dan Murphy's the Managers think they are a law unto themselves, especially at Smithfield SA and can speak to staff like they are a piece of rubbish.
Pros
No pros
Cons
A lot of online training for nothing
Dan murphy is great if you love a fast paced work experience with never a dull moment great team workshops and out of the box daily boring job routines
You learn a lot about different types of alcohol which can help communicate with customers and teach them for future references. Very busy in the holidays especially Christmas. Gives shifts equally to all employees.
Great company to work for. Bit of low level politics, but great management. Flexible timings, work life balance, constant training given. Can ask for a location close to home.
In most stores I worked at they had a great culture and my store manager backed me was helpful. The last store manager I had in Wilsonton was hopeless, no accountability and if there was, it was for the wrong thing. Overall pretty great place to work and the pay is great compared to other companies in the same role
day begins immediately when you walk in, hardest part of the job can be shelving, unloading stock individually despite few members working management not very friendly and engaging, especially upon the arrival of new team members
Days are long, expected to work 45 hours only paid for 40. At the end of the year thats $10,000 you have been short paid. Lack of visits and communication with Area Manager.
love the friendly environment they have all among the management and the staff, overall the company is quiet big and requires serious and hard working people with bubbly nature.
great team but not so fantastic management and poor corporate that dont care about staff or team members, the team is outgoing and try hard and the pay doesnt quite reflect the effort put in for these employees
Decent working atmosphere however if you are new they may be very likely to give you limited shifts on days/times that more established staff do not wish to work such as Friday and Saturday evenings only. Presumably if you can stick it out until the next batch of hiring then you'll be given preferential treatment too.
Thoroughly enjoy my time with Dan Murphy, it hasn't all been easy but it has been very well rewarding. Have a great team, amazing Managers. Learn a lot about service to customers and also serving the wider community. Have gained a lot of experience and knowledge on the different types of products that we sell, and overall how to give the best customer experience.
My first real job ever and it has given me a good insight to the working life. Working at Dan Murphy's has helped me become a better worker with their fast-paced environment, managers were kind and caring for the employees well-being above all else. Dan Murphy's was not only about selling alcohol to customers but they try educated employee's about the alcohol's history, ingredients, process and ageing. This gave me a better understanding about the different products which let me help customers better.
Pros
Caring managment
Cons
Can be stressful at times
Roles include load organisation on the shop floor and storage room, as well as presentation of displays and promotions. Extra roles include advancing product knowledge through tastings with customers, product representatives and team members, so as to provided a welcoming and knowledgeable interaction with customers. This includes hosting events where customers sit down and taste multiple beverages while learning about the products and enjoying a bite to eat over a couple of hours.
  1. Employee Reviews