Datacom
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Datacom Employee Reviews

Australia57 reviews
My time in this job was face paced but I enjoyed every minute as I love being busy and helping people that were unable to use the online Site that we had in place.
Pros
Being social
Cons
Its a high stress low reward job, management only about KPIs and nothing for the employees and customer well being. The turn over rate is high as people leave for better work or the mental health value is stupidly draining as there are several breakdowns on a regular basis and no support for it. 0/10 for this place
Stay clear away from DATACOM! Trainers are rude that lack emotional intelligence to guide and support new staff in their roles.

It is a very unprofessional organisation in their call centre operations in North Ryde.

Training dragged on for 4 weeks because they weren't prepared in their delivery of the content.

I come from a background of over 10 years in the aviation and service industry and would not recommend anyone to work for this organisation.

May I point out in final, that the pay rate is not worth the workload and bullying culture from trainers and team leaders. You can find something better.
Pros
Nothing...
Cons
Bullying culture
I regret working here, I was unhappy, miserable and crying virtually daily - there is no support mechanisms for anyone under performing instead they’re bullied around and their self esteem is manipulated by management.

It’s ridiculous considering the amount of training and the over complicated systems that made simple tasks more complicated.
Pros
Cons
- Unprofessional company, not worth the pay, unorganised structure, 41000 is a joke for the expectations required, 0 career progression, racist HR
I had worked within this industry for years so was lucky knowing what I was doing. The trainers are not equipped with the right training tools or have actual structure across the board. It seemed as if no body was on the same page and the business structure was a complete mess. This caused so many problems when you went 'live'. If people needed help you needed to prove you tried to solve the problem first and wait times for help could be over an hour, you were expected to keep the customer on the phone the whole time, on hold and check in every five minutes. The constant change in policies, procedures and job specifications made it confusing. You are also working with multiple systems at once. My colleagues were amazing people. Was also lucky to find love there. The high stress environment and little support is hard on people. Absolutely everything is monitored! Including your calls, screens and break times. For the amount of work you do the money is not worth it.
I completed the 3 weeks training but this still was not enough. They systems and processes are much too complicated - even for what should be simple tasks.

The KPIs are almost completely unachievable.

Breaks are not.long enough

The pay is menial at best for the sheer amount of work and stress you will encounter.

There is.no parking available.

The tasks gave me really bad anxiety.and there is not enough support.

Font work here, look for other options. I'm in a kuch better ppace now!
It was definitely a different type of workplace than most retail and customer service. The staff you would work around are great and you make many new friends even from when you start your training.
I began a job at Datacom excited to get a new experience. I was naive. From day one I was not offered enough training and everything was ambiguous. There was no clear direction. The training staff do not communicate with the staff out on the call centre floor, and these lead to many issues when getting out on the floor of what was expected and what was in scope of the role I was completing.

If you want to work in an environment where the times you can go to the bathroom are dictated to you, the office is dirty, covered in dust and quite obviously never touched by a cleaner, you are not treated like a human being, you are monitored like a toddler, and spoken to like you are a mindless worker ant, and you are incredibly underpaid for the "important" role you have, then this is the job for you. If you want to have freedom and be treated like an equal and a human being, then run. Run as fast as you can away. Do not even think of applying. Do no even give it a second thought. No amount of money would get me back working for this company.
This place has such high turnover of staff which should be a huge red flag from the get go.
I worked there for 2 years, was promised a promotion, the person who promised it left the company the next day and I was back at square one.

Having a bad back I was given a standing desk, then when I went from full time to casual (because I needed the extra money) I was told I was no longer entitled to my protective standing desk.

Managers gossip and share your personal info, telling each other when you are having relationship issues and tell each other to "go for it".

Very poor career progression, only 2 HR persons to handle 300+ staff

People get written warnings for exceeding their 30minute lunches by 2 minutes.

Met some really cool people there but they have all quit too, most people just leave and don't go back, I sent in my resignation email however and never got a response as to when my exit interview would scheduled and when I can hand in my pass, instead I just get blocked from all systems and a survey sent from survey monkey asking "how was working at Datacom?".

They don't care about you, you don't even get an exit interview to ask if youre ok and if you have another job to go to... ive never experienced this in any job ive ever worked in.
If you are committed and will to put the effort in then Datacom will look after you and teach you a lot in the workplace! I would recommend it as a decent job out of school.
As a workplace, Datacom has a lot of potential, but needs to sort out issues in its mid-tier leadership team. Datacom's strength is also its greatest weakness. Being a technology company, every problem is solved through a technology lens. Many issues however, such as effective change, clarity in strategy, and effective decision-making (and commitment to a course of action) are human challenges.

Unfortunately, I believe that in many ways, Datacom is ripe for disruption with smaller, nimbler players nipping at their heels and the Gorillas (MSFT, AWS, Google) moving further deeper into professional services and IT outsourcing by "automating out" the need for some professional services. It is not alone amongst the T2s in terms of this threat.

Datacom has a huge opportunity / potential to go from good to great. It has some remarkable people within its walls. It is let down by an ineffective middle management layer.
Very good management. Feels like family .
Management understand you . They are very friendly. There are lots of help and support. Great place to work.
I would be the last one to say that any company is horrible as I always believed it was up to the workers and they blamed the employer. Well definitely not in this case. They tell you a lot of Bull, they constantly train hundreds of people every week so they can flip people out as fast as they take them. Don't trust this company. The wage is extremely low for the amount of work that is expected from you. I believe it is a $60,000 a year job for $43,000 a year. If you don't want your self esteem knocked and you don't want to be stuffed around unnecessarily please don't waste your time with this company.
Mostly government customers, no job security.

Many different areas. Company has undergone restructure several types with many jobs disappearing.

Some people have been there for years but on the other hand, many people come and go.
Just don't accept the job offer. I have never been so pushed mentally for minimum wage before.

The job itself is easy but upper management will make sure to put you through unnecessary stress. I am still personally going through theraphy because of this role.
good collaborative environment. extremely fast-paced with copious amounts of support by other customer service representatives and team leaders. good work culture, respectful and empathetic staff.
Datacom were a bad joke from start to finish. Applied for the job, jumped through all their hoops, and was told security screening would take 4-5 weeks. It took 4 MONTHS. Finally told I would be starting Nov 2018, taking calls at Modbury call centre for well-known Australian government department that constantly finds itself the centre of negative publicity - won't mention any names, but rhymes with Centrestink. Received 6 weeks training, which was totally inadequate - we were not allowed to use the actual software interface we would be using once live on the phones. Apparently, Centrestink was paranoid we might steal its awful 1970s disco-era software that no-one else in their right mind would want to implement. As a result, once we began taking live calls, there was a lot of confusion - we weren't even taught how to transfer calls properly!

The job was stressful and the pay was terrible. As other reviewers have mentioned, you are treated like a number. You are literally monitored down to the second - even taking a toilet break becomes a race against the clock.

Job turnover at Datacom Modbury is astronomical, they seem to have a churn-and-burn approach to employing people.

When I started, I was in one of 4 groups that were being simultaneously trained. My group was the best performing group during the first month on the floor, and I was one of 10-12 employees (out of 100 or so) who achieved 100% accuracy on their quality-checked work during that first month. I mention this, not to brag, but to emphasize that I was serious about the job and trying my best. However,
 - more...
You're treated as you're just a number, the managers only care about if you are meeting KPI's or not. If you don't meet KPI it is shown to everyone on a fortnightly basis.
Datacom does not pay it staff enough for the pressures that they face as customer facing representatives for Government departments. unfortunately there is a high turn over rate due to lack of training and the fast paced call centre environment. However, for those that have a good attitude and willingness to succeed, Datacom and it's upper management provide fair support and opportunities for those who want them.
Training was sparse and seemed rushed. Once on the phones, as it is very fast paced, help is slow coming as everyone needs help in the beginning and there are only so many helpers available. This meant sometimes not finding the correct solution and therefore delaying the call for the customer. Once you are competent enough then you progress fairly quickly through the different sections. This allows you to learn many things about what really happens regarding tax in this country
Datacom- A company which treats its casuals like dirt…you get the occasional free pizza, free kfc and free cake. Your team leaders never support you
And make you feel like an idiot when you need help. They say they dont like bullying but they bully you in different ways through psychological stress and abandonment.

You are watched like a hawk but never helped when you need it. The pay rate is pathetic for full-time at 43k and the casual rate is like 26.97.

And to top it off when November hits you are more likely to get sacked for no reason