David Jones
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

David Jones Employee Reviews

Australia244 reviews
Well I was working there work in 2018 before Christmas holidays and after new year I work at men's shoe's and casual men's wear jeans and I did stock and set up and clean the stockroom and made sure the showroom was clean all the bench and the glass shells and shoe were polish everything like shoes was set up and polite with respect, manners etc did I like working there I did, the only thing is my pay got staff for a month nil. I don't know ithe Ceo.
Pros
More cleaning and polish shoes glass dust etc
Cons
I like to see more David Jones ways.
Stressful KPIS to meet
Need to work according to top management's moods and attitudes

Good to work in teams

Mostly nice customers

but some customers can be very hard to please, fussy and rude

Long hours, not enough staff support during sales promotions and events

sales assistants not paid enough for their hard work
Pros
staff discounts, mostly nice customers
Cons
Bad management, lots of workplace bullying by top management
It was fun to work with them. Really helpful staff and love to work but their pay rate is not fair. Don't get enough shifts and long standing hours if you get enough hours.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Less hours(shifts)
Racist af
Rude

Disrespectful

Nit pickers

Competitive

TOO much gossiping

Unfair work load

You literally get paid chia seeds.

Managers I worked with were Emily and Sheila. Bloody bs ffs
Pros
Nada
Cons
Could go on forever!!!
Working at David Jones has given me most of my Sales representative skills.
The team is great and so supportive of all issues and problems that arise within your section of the floor.

Be keep in mind to keep your confidence and smile on at all times because repeat customers shopping from David Jones have been coming since the store once opened. So treat every customer as if the were a VIP.
They don't value their employees, even the ones who have been there for over 10 years. They constantly push for better results, never acknowledging good work; you're never good enough. The management team is disorganised and unqualified, and pressure you to the point you don't want to come in to your shift.
A typical day at work is usually busy, which is understandable in a retail industry. This actually works for me since I am used to multitask and can cope with this type of environment. Workplace culture is great, everyone knows everyone and the management is very accommodating and just in their decisions.
A very poor management team. Everyone are based on relationship, and they cover each other. Treat their staff really unfairly and customer service is bad. Left due to the management.
Pros
Nothing really
Cons
Management corruption
Initially I was not paid for the hours and hours I spent training. Some of that training was even spent on the floor! So, basically they tried to me as free labour. I repeatedly raised this issue with my manager because we were not allowed to contact payroll directly. It took her almost three months to forward the email on to payroll. Then the payroll employee she contacted went on leave and could not action it for another three months. Does only one person work in payroll in this huge organisation? Then you will find yourself axed when you finally force the issue! But hey, that was all just a coincidence, right? No, they took issue with the fact that your area was untidy when Visual Merchandising came to visit before opening one morning. No mention of the fact that you were only rostered on for five hours on the previous day. Two and a half of those were spent downstairs in the freezing cold handing out flyers, and the other half was spent trying to make sales targets. I was on my hands and knees in the babywear section trying to tidy it up when a woman approached me asking how to order a pram. I went into that section and lo and behold no staff were available. When one finally showed up she had no clue how to do it, so I called my manager for help. Did she come? no, and while I was busy with someone else that staff member told her to come back the next day. Somehow I got the blame for that as well!!
I was responsible for advising clients based on their fashion styles and promoting suitable products to them to increase sales. And I sorted and organized the records of the sales in the information system and communicated with the warehouse staff to ensure stock adequacy.
This job offered wonderful working environment and high compensation, and enhanced my communication skills and ability to handle multiple tasks. The hardest part was that it was too busy during Chirstmas so the workload was overwhelming. However, the colleagues were very friendly and caring there.
working experience is satisfying as it is full of challenges. Staff are friendly and pro active.Balancing time to complete daily task. Management is fine.
it was a wonderful work experience, where I had the chance to learn the coffee culture here in Australia, it helped me a lot I met so many new people!
Careful with changing management. Though it has been wonderful working with David Jones, there are a lot of things one should consider working in the food hall.
Its a very good company for them who would like to start their carrier in packing industry as packer. Very good culture and healthy environment to work at such nice place.
Fun. Encouraging team members. Staff benefits. Positive environment. Work is fun and I always look forward for the next shift. Meeting different people gives you a lot of learning in a short time.
Long time ago that I worked at DJs but it was a lovely time and great staff ,benefits were good too
If I was looking again I would not hesitate to apply
Part-time worker was good as our shifts were guaranteed but when applying for annual leave, management rarely checks them which is troubling because in the end, they will blame it on you for not doing it "earlier" and tell you to find other employees to take your shift. Long hours and is tiring if you do a 9:30 to 7pm shift. Good pay once you're 20 though. Casuals only get one shift a week in the quieter months though. A lot of talking behind people's backs in the workplace and managers play favourites. This would be fine until they make it too obvious. They will give shifts to those they like and joke around with them during the shifts but will tell you off or order you around if you're not their "favourite". Super unprofessional. Also A LOT of upper management walking around the floors so be ready to dress professionally and be on your best behaviour. I felt like I was working at an office on certain days because it is a very professional workplace. Don't think they are like other retailers where you can slack off. I've only been working here for a little less than a year and the other girls with me want to leave already. We're just tired of the workplace. Same routine, typical rude customers, tiring and nothing new. Wish we had longer breaks since we work an all-day shift.
Had good memories there. Fast-paced but fun. People who work there are friendly with each other. The pay was good for a student like me at the time. Staff discounts. Can't complain.
David Jones management can be very two faced and there is barely any support or recognition. for excellent work performance
They need to pay more attention to detail in regards to policies and procedures..
I feel very good to work as a sales professional at David Jones. I love the way every staff and managers behave with us and the way they are helpful to me. I like David Jones as my employer company.
Pros
Effective Collaboration and friendly environment
Cons
Sometimes it is so busy
It's a great experience working in David Jones. Coworkers are cooperative and managers have been great. They have training for product knowledge and people are willing to help and guide you when you have questions. The only point where you get stressful is selling the Amex Card. It's a valuable card yet the constant pressure of getting it kinda take over the fun side working in David Jones.
Pros
Nice people and they actually give good customer service.
Cons
The constant pressure to sell Amex
Ask a question about working or interviewing at David Jones. Our community is ready to answer.