David Jones Employee Reviews

Excellent Customer Service
Retail Sales (Current Employee) –  Brookvale NSW12 June 2018
As I enjoy excellent customer service and assisting customers,I thrive in this role and constantly achieve high sale targets. I work independently and stock a very large area in the mens department.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No incentives
amazing team
Assistante de vente/ vendeuse (Former Employee) –  adelaide australia10 May 2018
really enjoyed working for david jones, by far one of the best experiences ive ever had in my life
Pros
10 to 20% discounts for employees
not the best
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW15 April 2018
It was average working as a Christmas casual here. The pay wasn't the best and the management was rude. overall wouldn't recommend. Always short staffed also.
Pros
the shifts given
Cons
management
productive,positive environment
Cleaning contractor (Former Employee) –  Bondi NSW5 April 2018
As a clearner,I had to mop the kitchen floors, change the bins, use different cleaning chemicals to clean the floor. The work was found to be really motivating. I learned to utilize time efficiently. my workplace has positive working enviornment . The only hardest part of job was to lift heavy bins alone from the work place to the under ground floor. however i enjoyed my job and did really good.
Pros
short workinghour
Cons
no one to talk
Far better to be a shopper than employee
Sales professional (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC3 April 2018
Chances for advancement are nearly nil unless you’re someone the other managers want to have lunch with. YES! That’s basically how advancement works, not through skill or ability, but by being someone who other managers think would make good lunch company.

Seem to always be willing to transfer someone else in from another department to fill a vacancy or worse, hire externally, rather than giving addition working hours to experienced staff who already know the job.

Be prepared to work under managers who have no idea what you do, or even how you do your job on a day to day basis.

Look forward to basic IT necessities not working, you’ll forget to get things ordered for customers because the computers will crash so many times in the process, you’ll eventually forget what you were using it for in the first place.

Have your own company undermine and undercut your job by advertising a deal on your own company’s website that is not available in store, be bombarded by customers visiting in store or calling on the phone (trying to keep you in a job) asking you to do the website deal when there is absolutely no way you can.

Be hired for a retail sales role and discover that the most important part of your job is actually selling financial services (credit cards and interest free offers), no manager will commend you on achieving the massive sales targets, but they’ll hound you until you sign up a poor shopper to a 22% $99 annual fee credit card.

My store had a resident regional manager, store manager, two sell related managers, an LPO manager, a regional LPO manager, a
  more... finance manager, a planning manager, an admin manager. Below them there were a logistics manager and 11 sales managers, with at least 23 assistant sales managers - all for about 300 staff in total.

Christmas party or other staff interaction outside work is basically non existent.
Pros
10% staff discount, 20% in some areas
Cons
AMEX card selling. Be prepared to only be assured of Christmas Day and Good Friday off
good company
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  NSW7 March 2018
great company to work for !
great management
supportive workers
Nice customers
Nice place to work in, great staff deals
Happy to be a part of this company
Work as a concession at David jones
Manager (Former Employee) –  Macquarie Park NSW5 March 2018
Work inside David jones is horrible it’s one of the worst jobs I had no support.. dj management threat you constantly Djs staff believe that they have superior powers so they can treat you like rubbish and it’s ok and they are supported buy the management that bullies you constantly... so that was my experience working inside DJ...
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
A long list
Great work place culture,
Sales Expert (Former Employee) –  Toowong QLD5 March 2018
I spent 4 years at david jones and learn a lot of things about humans and selling to them. There are many different personality types and i have encounted all of them. David jones has taught me the true meaning of customer service, and how to sell to all different type of personalities.
Pros
great people, great work environment, good lunch room
Cons
other staff not doing there job properly which makes your job a bit harder
Great job
STYLER FOR BILL AND GIULIANA RANCIC FASHION TOUR (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC22 February 2018
Great first job learnt a lot about fashion and retail industry. although got a bit boring and the other staff member were always miserable. Needs a funner vibe
Pros
Discount
Cons
Boring
Great discounts!
Sales Assistant - Menswear (Former Employee) –  Ringwood VIC7 February 2018
I made many new friends at David Jones, enhanced my customer service skills and flair for fashion! There is great work-life balance and my managers were very understanding of my study commitments.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pressure to sell cards
Wonderful place to work at
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Doncaster VIC31 January 2018
The staff are all polite as are the customers, of course there is a standard to uphold but the customers aren't as difficult to deal with as other retail shoppers in other shops. The reputation of David Jones is a high one, and all the policies and regulations are closely monitored. Staff perks are amazing with discounts and extra discounts on top of sale. Rosters are no issue depending on the store, and stock flow is ever-changing.
Pros
Staff discount, flexibility working different departments, food perks, staff area
Work Culture
Logistics and Sales Administrator (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW31 January 2018
David Jones has a healthy environment where employees are always motivated, happy and healthy. I enjoy working at David Jones as it is perfect for someone who are studying at the same time. The company fosters diversity and inclusion, too.
Productive and good teamwork
Visual merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW24 January 2018
I think that my experience in David Jones helped me to discover a world where the details of the products in the store is very important and for my VM experience.
Its about the people
Visual Merchandiser Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burwood NSW22 January 2018
If you are flexible and willing to learn, while taking every shift available; as you look after them, they will look after you.
I've meet some very cool people in this place, friendships that last a lift time. If you work hard and enjoy the team that you work with, then you can be doing anything (and I mean anything; tagging clothing, filling, dealing with customer complaints etc) and still be laughing all day.
Pros
Friendships that you make and the discount
Cons
Lack of staff
Productive and a fun atmosphere to work in.
SALES CONSULTANT, VISUAL MERCHANDISER (Former Employee) –  Miranda NSW17 January 2018
Over all, employment atmosphere was very professional but at the same time very fun out going bunch of people which made you come to work and understood that when it was time to work you worked, when it was time to play after work hours you played and had a great time getting to know the staff and family of David Jones Miranda
Pros
Hour Break
Cons
Very Busy at certain times of the day which toke you of gard.
Productive and friendly workplace
Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee) –  Perth WA2 January 2018
Typical day at work is busy and full on with a range of benefits to come at the end of it. Hardest part of the job would be apprehending aged offenders.
Great company to work for
Personal Assistant to CIO (Current Employee) –  Sydney Central Business District NSW1 January 2018
2015-Current
As a Personal Assistant I provide support for business related activities and ensure that I am professional and courteous in all of my interactions whilst maintaining the highest level of confidentiality. In my role I interact with a broader team of executive assistants across the business nationally and I endeavour to foster close relationships that support me in undertaking my job effectively. I project manage the IT team of approximately 140 staff with day to day requirements within the business.
Terrible place to work
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW20 December 2017
Poor pay poor hours , most management are corrupt and thieving at the North Ryde Store, The HR department are useless and think they are too important , Most of the Loss prevention officers in the suburbs are as bad as the thieves. Most Store management are just dumb and cluless.
Pros
Cons
HR dept are scum
Great environment
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Adelaide City Centre SA7 December 2017
The staff all work together and create a good atmosphere. Conveniently located a short walk from the Adelaide train station, and benefits and discounts are quite good. Training provided for staff is tailored depending on tasks and requirements .
Productive and fun place.
Logistics Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bondi Junction NSW1 December 2017
I have learned many things from this job:
1. how to handle and and work in different situations
2. how to deal with customer
3. self confidence

The place is really outstanding and enjoyable.
Pros
Employees are like good friends
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at David Jones. Our community is ready to answer.