David Jones Employee Reviews

Bad work place bourke st mens store
Sales Expert Bakery (Current Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC20 January 2019
Management is a JOKE. They expect us to use a broken lift that drops and traps people inside the other staff elevator caught on fire with people INSIDE. Management told us the best they can do is "open the fire exit" so we can go upstairs.
In the Food hall, the bakery had floor renovations and all they did was put a covering over it. Now it's splitting open and leaking water everywhere. Management is aware as we told them straight away and they don't do anything. They take photos to "email the buyers" but they don't ever have a solution for us, we're expected to clean it and keep working.
We are so understaffed, they expect us to work twice as much at their expense because they "have a low budget" and can't put on casuals. What a joke.
David Jones, I thought this place would be great. It's the exact opposite and there is so much wrong with this place, the union and work safety need to be called to observe everything.
Good luck to anyone who works there or going to.
Pros
Only the coworkers, amazing people.
Cons
The whole place is a joke.
great
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Robina QLD7 January 2019
a good place to work with out doubt the best expirience in work i have yet had. only one complaint is that the induction culture they want ingrained is lacking in some of the longer term staff you will work with
Pretty Average
Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Perth WA6 January 2019
The only good thing about this company is the Co-workers and the customers. Management is slack. Especially when it comes to asking for help when its busy, extra help only ever shows up when it suits the managers and they dont have to pay to have extra people on. They never put enough staff on when you need it. Staff are always having problems with pay wether its late or missing. Most of the concession workers dont get SAN numbers so alot of customers dont get served. They mess up availabilities alot too. Put you on the exact times you say you can't work. Overall this company has alot of fixing to do with thier entire attitude and the way they "look after" their staff.
Pros
Staff, Customers.
Cons
Management, Pay, Availability.
Super Retailer -
Sales Supervisor- Queens Plaza and Carindale (Former Employee) –  Carindale QLD2 January 2019
Key Achievements:

• Providing highly effective staff supervision, training and rostering

• Meeting or exceeding sales targets and key performance indicators

• Ensuring a high level of work health and safety is available to all employees
Pros
Product Range
Worst place to work at
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carindale QLD28 November 2018
The store I worked at had okay managers but it was extremely difficult working in this store as we were constantly understaffed. When you call managers to get someone to help you, they don't even bother. Selling the card to customers is useless as we are not a bank and is unnecessary stress. It is extremely difficult to give customers 100% our attention as we are constantly understaffed and have no support from management. We cant satisfy the customers and the management.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
management, no support, cards
Everyone is lovely
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE / WAITRESS (Current Employee) –  Carindale QLD22 November 2018
Training was always there number 1, never throw you in the deep end. All staff members were lovely and always helped you even if it was there job. The management is great.
Pros
Lovely staff members, all lunch breaks
Review
Logistic assistant (Former Employee) –  Silverwater NSW5 November 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed working there even though it was only a short contract but overall I enjoy the experience and invaluable skills I learn from the logistic centre It gave me a stepping stone where I can utilised what I know to further my skills experience and advanced my future into the unknown. Thank you so much for the experience gained. Much appreciate.
Pros
Free lunch
Good work
Marketing and Logistics Professional (Current Employee) –  Canberra5 November 2018
Good work environment and employees. Very good policies and procedures and fair practices. Good perks and compensation benefits. Great discount on products.
good for experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glen Waverley VIC14 October 2018
A great first job to learn retail standards as DJ"S brand is well known and highly esteemed .Experience the full variety of customer situations, from spending 20 mins with interested customer wanting your advice to high volume traffic during promotional periods.
High quality products
go to work in a suit!
Pros
enjoyable regular customers, great co-workers
Cons
dealing with customers with personal issues
Nice seasonal job
Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT10 October 2018
This job was good over the busy Christmas period, however after this the amount of customers significantly dropped and most days were spent tidying and filling stock.
Pros
Nice people and culture
Cons
Tedious and not much scope for career advancement.
Good company although, Hard hours from 6-11am every day not leaving much time for uni.
LOGISTICS OPERATIONS ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Bondi Junction NSW9 October 2018
Very hard hours and a lot of lifting although paid leave and sick leave benefits were extremely good, getting paid in full for sick days and earning 4 weeks of paid leave per year.
A very professional organisation.
Concierge (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW30 September 2018
The executives at David Jones were very professional and excellent to work for. They were very kind and helpful to fit in with my availability. Working on the ground floor as a conceirge was exciting being in the midst of promotions and seasonal specials.
Pros
staff discount
Variety of Departments to work in
Customer Service, Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW22 September 2018
Enjoyable and great sales learning environment. In some departments managerial positions need reviewing. Culture of sales staff is very competitive.
Flexibility
High End Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT7 August 2018
David Jones Provided a lot of flexibility and benefits for staff members.
Most enjoyable were the Christmas parties and the friendships that were made.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Stock take
Working in retail
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuggerah NSW4 July 2018
Working for this company is good but its not necessarily a career option for me as my postion does not allow much interaction.
While staff are friendly i find my position to be dull certain times of day and year.
However, If you love an office job it is perfect.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
Can be quiet and slow
Excellent Customer Service
Retail Sales (Current Employee) –  Brookvale NSW12 June 2018
As I enjoy excellent customer service and assisting customers,I thrive in this role and constantly achieve high sale targets. I work independently and stock a very large area in the mens department.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No incentives
amazing team
Assistante de vente/ vendeuse (Former Employee) –  adelaide australia10 May 2018
really enjoyed working for david jones, by far one of the best experiences ive ever had in my life
Pros
10 to 20% discounts for employees
not the best
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW15 April 2018
It was average working as a Christmas casual here. The pay wasn't the best and the management was rude. overall wouldn't recommend. Always short staffed also.
Pros
the shifts given
Cons
management
productive,positive environment
Cleaning contractor (Former Employee) –  Bondi NSW5 April 2018
As a clearner,I had to mop the kitchen floors, change the bins, use different cleaning chemicals to clean the floor. The work was found to be really motivating. I learned to utilize time efficiently. my workplace has positive working enviornment . The only hardest part of job was to lift heavy bins alone from the work place to the under ground floor. however i enjoyed my job and did really good.
Pros
short workinghour
Cons
no one to talk
Far better to be a shopper than employee
Sales professional (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC3 April 2018
Chances for advancement are nearly nil unless you’re someone the other managers want to have lunch with. YES! That’s basically how advancement works, not through skill or ability, but by being someone who other managers think would make good lunch company.

Seem to always be willing to transfer someone else in from another department to fill a vacancy or worse, hire externally, rather than giving addition working hours to experienced staff who already know the job.

Be prepared to work under managers who have no idea what you do, or even how you do your job on a day to day basis.

Look forward to basic IT necessities not working, you’ll forget to get things ordered for customers because the computers will crash so many times in the process, you’ll eventually forget what you were using it for in the first place.

Have your own company undermine and undercut your job by advertising a deal on your own company’s website that is not available in store, be bombarded by customers visiting in store or calling on the phone (trying to keep you in a job) asking you to do the website deal when there is absolutely no way you can.

Be hired for a retail sales role and discover that the most important part of your job is actually selling financial services (credit cards and interest free offers), no manager will commend you on achieving the massive sales targets, but they’ll hound you until you sign up a poor shopper to a 22% $99 annual fee credit card.

My store had a resident regional manager, store manager, two sell related managers, an LPO manager, a regional LPO manager, a
  more... finance manager, a planning manager, an admin manager. Below them there were a logistics manager and 11 sales managers, with at least 23 assistant sales managers - all for about 300 staff in total.

Christmas party or other staff interaction outside work is basically non existent.
Pros
10% staff discount, 20% in some areas
Cons
AMEX card selling. Be prepared to only be assured of Christmas Day and Good Friday off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at David Jones. Our community is ready to answer.