David Jones logo
David Jones
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

David Jones Employee Reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Management are micro managers however full on the job training

When I worked there it was all or nothing. When it was busy there was no work/life balance and when it wasn’t there was no hours/money. It was unworkable and any requests to be made permanent part time were ignored despite being told your work was exceptional.

Pros

% discounts

Cons

No consistency with hours of work

Never work there ! You will never be respected and paid enough for amount of jobs they load in you . Management is ridiculously bad.

No work- life balance , not a good pay , jobs overloads , unprofessional and very ignorant managers. No career growth . You won’t be respected or valued there.

Pros

Couldn’t find any

Cons

Too many to list

Stressful place to work

Didn’t like the management, culture and employees around me. Absolutely rude and would never work there again. The pay wasn’t that good and the hours kept getting changed and always being understaffed. Employee discount was 20% only on days worked which was stupid and the customer service was horrid

Pros

Nothing really

Cons

Rude staff

Bad workplace I have worked in my life

Really bad culture in the warehouse Managers are sick mentally No work culture at allWhatever management decide they can do it does not matter for the business

Pros

Really bad culture, outside have fame but inside is crab

Cons

Sick management

Lack of support + poor training + poor management

I thought it would be fun and a decent place to work at but i dont recommend it:- Managers don't listen to you (ignore your availability and roster you on times that just suit them)- Ask you to do a million things when it's pretty much impossible (check fitting room but also never lean counter, retag all returns immediately but always help the customers first and dont keep them waiting) - Don't treat you with respect (make you take your break only a few hours into the shift and at hours when there aren't lots of customers, meaning you might have a long time without any rest) - Poor scheduling (as a casual> make you work in departments that are not your own with no previous understanding of products and expect you to just deal with customers when you wouldn't know anything) - Lack of support (Dont answer phone when you need assistance or just vaguely explain stuff and leave you to figure it out yourself even if its your first time and your not familiar with a procedure)In conclusion, not the best place to work. Better off being a concession in DJs.

Pros

staff discounts ok

Cons

See above

Relaxed Work place

Great workplace, good boss and colleagues. System errors sometimes. Room for promotion but the job can get monotonous doing same thing for years. I love DJ

Pros

Staff discounts

Cons

Low wages

High standards required but once achieved very good prospects

Good induction when employment secured. Full assistance given on the sales floor, encouraged to take up training. Beneficial if you did. In house product training . Progression through management levels were well financially rewarded.

Retail is a hard gig, find a smaller employer, big company's dont value staff

Toxic workplace, managers intimidate staff constantly, expecting unreasonable sales, push staff to 'encourage' customers to open American Express cards, veiled threats of dismissal if staff dont open 1 credit card per month. Worst job environment I have ever experienced!

Pros

good staff discounts

Cons

intimidation of staff, toxic environment

I had fun but it's nothing like the hold David Jones there was very casual wearing not has uniforms all black or with white

Well I was working there work in 2018 before Christmas holidays and after new year I work at men's shoe's and casual men's wear jeans and I did stock and set up and clean the stockroom and made sure the showroom was clean all the bench and the glass shells and shoe were polish everything like shoes was set up and polite with respect, manners etc did I like working there I did, the only thing is my pay got staff for a month nil. I don't know ithe Ceo.

Pros

More cleaning and polish shoes glass dust etc

Cons

I like to see more David Jones ways.

Top manangement needs to be trained better

Stressful KPIS to meet Need to work according to top management's moods and attitudes Good to work in teams Mostly nice customers but some customers can be very hard to please, fussy and rude Long hours, not enough staff support during sales promotions and events sales assistants not paid enough for their hard work

Pros

staff discounts, mostly nice customers

Cons

Bad management, lots of workplace bullying by top management

Jobs at David Jones

See more jobs

Co-operative team

It was fun to work with them. Really helpful staff and love to work but their pay rate is not fair. Don't get enough shifts and long standing hours if you get enough hours.

Pros

Great discounts

Cons

Less hours(shifts)

Crapolla

Racist af Rude Disrespectful Nit pickers Competitive TOO much gossiping Unfair work load You literally get paid chia seeds. Managers I worked with were Emily and Sheila. Bloody bs ffs

Pros

Nada

Cons

Could go on forever!!!

Productive and fun workplace with super friendly staff

Working at David Jones has given me most of my Sales representative skills. The team is great and so supportive of all issues and problems that arise within your section of the floor. Be keep in mind to keep your confidence and smile on at all times because repeat customers shopping from David Jones have been coming since the store once opened. So treat every customer as if the were a VIP.

Terrible terrible management

They don't value their employees, even the ones who have been there for over 10 years. They constantly push for better results, never acknowledging good work; you're never good enough. The management team is disorganised and unqualified, and pressure you to the point you don't want to come in to your shift.

It has a fast paced environment yet it feels good to be working here.

A typical day at work is usually busy, which is understandable in a retail industry. This actually works for me since I am used to multitask and can cope with this type of environment. Workplace culture is great, everyone knows everyone and the management is very accommodating and just in their decisions.

Never work here.

A very poor management team. Everyone are based on relationship, and they cover each other. Treat their staff really unfairly and customer service is bad. Left due to the management.

Pros

Nothing really

Cons

Management corruption

They barely pay minimum wage and they still try to short change you!

Initially I was not paid for the hours and hours I spent training. Some of that training was even spent on the floor! So, basically they tried to me as free labour. I repeatedly raised this issue with my manager because we were not allowed to contact payroll directly. It took her almost three months to forward the email on to payroll. Then the payroll employee she contacted went on leave and could not action it for another three months. Does only one person work in payroll in this huge organisation? Then you will find yourself axed when you finally force the issue! But hey, that was all just a coincidence, right? No, they took issue with the fact that your area was untidy when Visual Merchandising came to visit before opening one morning. No mention of the fact that you were only rostered on for five hours on the previous day. Two and a half of those were spent downstairs in the freezing cold handing out flyers, and the other half was spent trying to make sales targets. I was on my hands and knees in the babywear section trying to tidy it up when a woman approached me asking how to order a pram. I went into that section and lo and behold no staff were available. When one finally showed up she had no clue how to do it, so I called my manager for help. Did she come? no, and while I was busy with someone else that staff member told her to come back the next day. Somehow I got the blame for that as well!!

Fun workplace with kind colleagues

I was responsible for advising clients based on their fashion styles and promoting suitable products to them to increase sales. And I sorted and organized the records of the sales in the information system and communicated with the warehouse staff to ensure stock adequacy. This job offered wonderful working environment and high compensation, and enhanced my communication skills and ability to handle multiple tasks. The hardest part was that it was too busy during Chirstmas so the workload was overwhelming. However, the colleagues were very friendly and caring there.

the good things

working experience is satisfying as it is full of challenges. Staff are friendly and pro active.Balancing time to complete daily task. Management is fine.

productive and very interesting

it was a wonderful work experience, where I had the chance to learn the coffee culture here in Australia, it helped me a lot I met so many new people!

Careful with changing management. Though it has been wonderful working with David Jones, there are a lot of things one should consider working in the food hall.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at David Jones. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• David Jones