David Jones

David Jones Employee Reviews

Australia292 reviews

3.4Work–Life Balance

Potential, But Lacking Resources

DJs is a legacy company with some incredible brands, and very loyal customer base. Many changes over the short time I’ve been with the company, some good but others have made things over complicated than what they need to be.Work/Life balance can be non-existent during busy times of year, but store leadership can make things fun most of the time. Lots of expectation of staff from management with not much understanding of situations (staff levels/morale/etc). Definitely believe there is opportunity for more competitive pay, it’s not great but lots expected of you.Have seen many people leave from burn out, so much potential for great things as tools can be available if you know where to look (not necessarily who to ask not many managers know all)

Good casual rate great while you’re studying

Easy work quiet most of the time knees can ache after a while if you’ve got any knee problems great team to work with, the lunch room could use some adjustments like just instant coffee to keep the team running

Pros

Good discounts and payrate

Cons

Boring at times

Toxic work environment

Just overall not worth working here , was promised things in interview, was given a different contract then what I was employed by, no management Support was denied a position because I’m in probation but wasn’t hired as a qualified beauty therapist like the position I went for , instread iv been told in a sales assistant instead

Not much support provided, micro-managemers

A typical day at work- The good thing is that you get to work from home in your comfort majority of your shift (you need to go into the office once in a while and work from there). You can start work as soon as you wake up, no need to dress up and look nice. I usually work 9 hours shift - basically just answering to customer's enquiry and complaints. Apart from your break time you are not really allowed to leave your desk so it can get tough when you need a quick break because the managers will literally ask you what you are doing if you leave for a minute.Management- There are a number of supervisors and managers. What they tell you is usually contradicting to each other so you get confused who to follow at the start (after all, you just need to change depending on who is supervising). It gets annoying when one say this and the other say that - not really helping. Some supervisors are very micro-managing, I was once told that we are not allowed to leave out desk apart from allocated break time (which is very unhealthy when you are sitting for 9 hours straight) and if you do, they will just ping you and ask what we are doing. Some managers are very chill and you can feel trusted. The management team often makes mistake on allocating shifts, especially if you are a casual worker. They also will try their best not to take any calls from customers if customers request to speak to a manager.Workplace culture- Colleagues are all lovely, just some micro-managers making it worse. Be ready to be told quality over quantity but to also meet KPIs and lack of support from the management -

Pros

Staff discount, pay is fine if you are casual

Cons

Micro-managers, draining and repetitive

Horrible management

Management was really poor, always rude and hard to work around. Good hours and pay however the management made it really hard to enjoy working there sadly.

Average place to work

Would not work in management ever. They pick and choose favourites. The pay is minimum wage. The group discount is very good but you can't afford to buy it on the wages they give you so it's pretty pointless. It is a good job to just clock in and out of and not get into drama.

Luxurious and well stocked store with high end items make it a pleasure to work

Greatly enjoyed my time working at David Jones - was proud to be a staff member with David Jones - would be glad to join David Jones again Flexible working hours makes it easy to juggle work life balance

Casual Sales Professional

Pros:- Great Work Life Balance- Generally a relaxed work environment- Friendly staff members- Good remuneration for casual staffCons:- Work hours can be uncertain due to casual nature of employment- can be stressful during the Christmas period

Fast Paced and Stressful

- Worked in the company for over 3 years, but wasn't offered any form of advancement or training in that duration. - Worked on production issues which can stressful at times. - Got to work with multiple Enterprise level systems- Work culture started deteriorating over time with people leaving and management's solution to outsourcing those roles to eternal vendors instead of hiring local talent.- Had to work on public holidays during Christmas and sometimes during weekends with little to no extra compensation. - Upskilling and training opportunities given to a select few.

Pros

Modern work space, staff discount

Cons

Stressful, no advancement, below average compensation

Bad management

Really bad and Unorganised management .Employees are not appreciated for their dedication, rather people with the ability of buttering the management gets promoted.People got fired without notifications during Covid.

Not bad overall

Good company to work within a lot of discount from good brands, No stress at work at allany tip of people would work there. good for international students

Toxic entrenched work culture

I was hired for my food management skills and experience but any necessary change I tried to have implemented was overruled by upper management and buyers.

One of the worst IT teams see so far.

Lot of internal politics and hidden nastiness within team. Non supportive culture and very de motivating work environment. IT and HR had a bad relationship and I felt Like I got into that trap. Fortunately I left that toxic place and I am working in a much bette company with people who have better work ethics.

Pros

Cons

Long Hours, bad culture

Decent

Average retail job. Some staff good, others are too up themselves. If you need some work in retail and are okay with casual hours then it's great otherwise skip it.

Productive and fun

Yes I love to work again at David Jones excellent services to our customers and employees. Five stars environmental work place and pleasant atmosphere no stress at all.

Pros

Free lunch and coffee

Cons

Fair work environment

Good learning opportunities

You get to see the best customer service and all other opportunities to help yourself to grow individual. Good colleagues and always ready to support when in need. But need to prove yourself to grow further

Great place to work, good atmosphere and friendly staff

Having had several jobs at David Jones I can say that it is a typical retail workplace. The hours were fair and there was always a lot of work to do, but the team members were great to work with and the salary was good for the role - especially casual rates. The management were a bit of a mixed bag, some were fantastic and some were terrible. The customers were much the same, some very grateful for your help and attention and others thinking that they are better than you because they are shopping at “such a prestigious store”.. you just have to ignore those people, they can and do find their own way. The company culture is fantastic however and there are always chances for promotion if you are flexible, hard working and show initiative. It’s a great place for management pathway development. There are always competitive staff discounts, but I advise against opening a company staff credit card.. that is designed to gouge customers and staff alike. All-in-all, it is a good place to work.

Pros

Staff are usually treated well, the staff discounts are nice and the atmosphere is pleasant

Cons

Sometimes you get stuck with bad management, snooty customers and may have to travel between stores

loved working therr

managment was really really bad but other than that, it’s a very rewarding environment and definitely something you would want on your resume as my upcoming jobs really liked it

A good place for students and other casual workers. Must be sales/customer service obsessed. Quality of management varies.

The staff and the floor supervisors I worked with were great but people join management purely on who they’re close to and not quality or their work. Their focus is pretty much entirely on sales as you’d expected but they can neglect staff mental health.

Pros

Staff are lovely Pay is decent

Good people - bad management

The people are great to work with but the management are incompetent. Also the expectation to get credit cards at a department store is so high that it's embarrassing

No training provided

Don't expect much if you are a Christmas casual. No training is provided and they just expect you to know everything on your first day. Push you in deep water and rest is your problem! Nobody is available if you need help and management doesn't listen to you. Only good for making some money during Christmas time but don't expect anything permanent.

Pros

Good for experience for your resume.

Cons

No training provided

Ask a question about working or interviewing at David Jones. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare David Jones with