David Jones
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

David Jones Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

3.5Work–Life Balance

Variety of Departments to work in

Enjoyable and great sales learning environment. In some departments managerial positions need reviewing. Culture of sales staff is very competitive.

Absolute clown show

Management have no respect for their staff. You will be asked to work in multiple departments with no other staff to help you while you try to scramble to serve all the customers. You will be watched like a hawk and made to feel not part of the team. All they care about is selling the DJ credit cards to customers. Management are completely out of touch with the work environment. Lunch breaks are sometimes denied, no respect or trust for the staff. You will be overworked and underpaid. Do not waste your time working here.

Cons

Being treated like a slave

Bad culture and a lack of trust

Lack of trust, nit picking, ostracized and management becoming increasingly toxic and arragant, rather than demonstrate a healthy leadership approach to the team and the organisation. What's more is that it creates a enormous problem of favouritism and poor management oversight.Growth with the company are based on relationship with management, if not your are automatically on your own.

Pros

Nil

Cons

Toxic culture and lack of trust

Excellent company to work for

Great environment to work in. Staff were friendly. Management were great to deal with and you may be able to advance through to a rewarding career in other roles, if you wish.

Pros

Friendly staff and management

Stressful place to work

Didn’t like the management, culture and employees around me. Absolutely rude and would never work there again. The pay wasn’t that good and the hours kept getting changed and always being understaffed. Employee discount was 20% only on days worked which was stupid and the customer service was horrid

Pros

Nothing really

Cons

Rude staff

Good

Comfortable working environment Working with David Jones colleagues was a great learning adventure All colleagues in all departments were very helpful

Pretty Average

The only good thing about this company is the Co-workers and the customers. Management is slack. Especially when it comes to asking for help when its busy, extra help only ever shows up when it suits the managers and they dont have to pay to have extra people on. They never put enough staff on when you need it. Staff are always having problems with pay wether its late or missing. Most of the concession workers dont get SAN numbers so alot of customers dont get served. They mess up availabilities alot too. Put you on the exact times you say you can't work. Overall this company has alot of fixing to do with thier entire attitude and the way they "look after" their staff.

Pros

Staff, Customers.

Cons

Management, Pay, Availability.

Flexibility

David Jones Provided a lot of flexibility and benefits for staff members. Most enjoyable were the Christmas parties and the friendships that were made.

Pros

Meeting new people

Cons

Stock take

Excellent Customer Service

As I enjoy excellent customer service and assisting customers,I thrive in this role and constantly achieve high sale targets. I work independently and stock a very large area in the mens department.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

No incentives

not the best

It was average working as a Christmas casual here. The pay wasn't the best and the management was rude. overall wouldn't recommend. Always short staffed also.

Pros

the shifts given

Cons

management

great company

awesome people. work and great fashions. great culture David Jones has and staff discounts, very friendly team environment and team building exercises

Pros

staff discounts

Cons

David Jones has a vibrant atmospher and you learn many different skills. The salary is good and people who work there are professional.

I loved working for David Jones. They provided extensive and proactive training and I was working in the area I wanted. You get to meet so many different walks of life and you know your working for a company that follows rules and meets its expectations.

Pros

Invitations to particular parties, chance to meet Miranda Kerrs brother, chance to meet celebrities and insight on fashion and beauty plus staff discounts.

Cons

Not enough hours and a drop in sales.

looks like a fun workplace

my most enjoyable part about a job is learning new things, meeting others. The hardest part is probably getting past the challenges. ive been throughout many workplace cultures. the mamagement of all of my managers have been exceptional. i learned many things, ive learned more about the fashion industry, ive learnt many things throughout my retail experience, by knowing how to speak to customers when they ask for your opinion. i love a busy day at work, makes it fun, keeps you moving and the day goes quicker.

Pros

meeting new people

Cons

quiet days

it was a fast work pace environment with alot of hands on duties

it was quiet an interesting and challenging work environment for me, which is a great thing because I like to challenge myself in any situation to become the best that I can. Working at a florist in David Jones has given me the ability to gain more experience with dealing and handling customers etc...

Social, fun environment

Set work targets Meet targets via pint of sale Assist customers Arrange market devises Advertise Educate clients Coworkers worked well together Hardest past - not enough hours

Pros

Free goods

Cons

Not enough hours

David Jones

I liked my work, my co-workers, so I was always happy to go to work. I liked the majority of my customers and many became regulars. Had a good working relationship with management...always found if you did your job there wasn't any problems. The training was always ongoing. Their never was a day devoid of humour...great friendships were made which have stood the test of time. I recently left my last position because I found travelling by public transport to the city for years just too much. Had been doing for so long. I decided that I didn't want to work fulltime anymore and wanted to be closer to home. I also wanted to drive to work and not be subject to the whim of the public transport system. want more work/life balance. I found the daily travel the hardest part. The most enjoyable??? The people and the challenges...I am a tad competitive and enjoy. Everyday is a new day.

Pros

The more experienced I became, the more my confidence grew.

Cons

Travelling to and from work.

Fast-pace environment

high sales volume required Achieved departments highest average monthly sales Intensive training provided Good team work environment

Pros

incentive benefits

Wonderful work place

AN amazing environment with fantastic people, good training and a fun atmosphere. Everyone was encoring and welcoming, it was a challenging but fulfilling role and I would one day love to work there again.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at David Jones. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• David Jones
  • Retail Sales Associate
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?