David Jones
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

David Jones Employee Reviews for Sales Professional

3.5Work–Life Balance

Part-Time, Christmas Shop Employee

Received little training though, I picked things up pretty quickly. A typical day included stocking shelves and selling Christmas trees. It got quite chaotic at times, especially when there were sales/offers. I found it very enjoyable for a first-time job and wished they had kept me on longer!

It is very good experience working at David Jones.

I feel very good to work as a sales professional at David Jones. I love the way every staff and managers behave with us and the way they are helpful to me. I like David Jones as my employer company.

Pros

Effective Collaboration and friendly environment

Cons

Sometimes it is so busy

Toxic environment

I was a casual for just over a year, I was not at uni so I was available full time and worked overtime and did tasks that were for a manager. I constantly asked for a party time contract and showed interest in management. The managers continued to say “we’d be more than happy to give you a part time contract because you work so hard and everyone talks very highly of yos told many times we are creating a part time position specifically for you” after a few months of the “trail” there was no more talk about it. I was told there was no part/full time positions going through n my department they told me they’d give me part time in another department. When the moves happened they told me that they weren’t going to give it to me anymore but make the new manager decide. The new manager quickly had her favourites which is also a problem in at David Jones, iits not what you know it’s who you know. They started to cut back my hours, I did have an incident at work but even finding out from scans that it was not caused by work and having two different doctors clear me for work they still wanted me to fill out more paper work and get another clearance from my doctors. Since leaving I have spoken to my friends who still work there and they are getting bullied, harassed and pressured. The David Jones card itself is a scam and the only reason they care about is because it makes them more money. Some managers bully you into selling a card with zero training or knowledge of the card. The floor is always understaffed and they usually only put staff in area they care more about for example they -

Excellent Working Environment and Culture

Best work place culture. It's a fun place to work at with amazing colleague who always have your back. The amount of things you learn at work is a lot and very beneficial for enhancung your communication skills and boosting your confidence.

Pros

-Good Salary -Good Management -Good Work place culture -Supportive Colleagues

Cons

Tough to work if you do not have fairly good communication skills

Nice seasonal job

This job was good over the busy Christmas period, however after this the amount of customers significantly dropped and most days were spent tidying and filling stock.

Pros

Nice people and culture

Cons

Tedious and not much scope for career advancement.

Far better to be a shopper than employee

Chances for advancement are nearly nil unless you’re someone the other managers want to have lunch with. YES! That’s basically how advancement works, not through skill or ability, but by being someone who other managers think would make good lunch company. Seem to always be willing to transfer someone else in from another department to fill a vacancy or worse, hire externally, rather than giving addition working hours to experienced staff who already know the job. Be prepared to work under managers who have no idea what you do, or even how you do your job on a day to day basis. Look forward to basic IT necessities not working, you’ll forget to get things ordered for customers because the computers will crash so many times in the process, you’ll eventually forget what you were using it for in the first place. Have your own company undermine and undercut your job by advertising a deal on your own company’s website that is not available in store, be bombarded by customers visiting in store or calling on the phone (trying to keep you in a job) asking you to do the website deal when there is absolutely no way you can. Be hired for a retail sales role and discover that the most important part of your job is actually selling financial services (credit cards and interest free offers), no manager will commend you on achieving the massive sales targets, but they’ll hound you until you sign up a poor shopper to a 22% $99 annual fee credit card. My store had a resident regional manager, store manager, two sell related managers, an LPO manager, a regional LPO manager, a -

Pros

10% staff discount, 20% in some areas

Cons

AMEX card selling. Be prepared to only be assured of Christmas Day and Good Friday off

great team members and managers, great atmosphere

typical day involved focusing on any stock that was required to be done. during the hours of 11-3 customer service and sales was our main priority. after that, tidying and more stock work was again the focus. hardest party of the job was trying to sell the idea of signing up for store cards to customers as well as keeping on top of acquiring customer emails.

Pros

good break hours, great managers

Cons

trying to sign customers up for store cards

ok

Depending on what floor you work on, I believe the Managers and Supervisors make the difference on your work day, some people do stock and others just make sales and hog tills....... They know which counters make money and which ones are an island..... Stuck in no mans land ? staying in your Zone ? I have never been in customer service where I stay in my Zone, I want my customer to have a full experience so I will stay until they are satisfied and ready to give me their email number or to sign up for a card and handover their money. Dont give up, some colleagues work five hours and never touch a rail of stock or a trolley full of new products, we know who we are !!!! Hang in there while looking for another job !!!!! I am !!!!!

Pros

days off

Cons

weekends and public holidays

David Jones is a fast paced professional environment where attention to little detailed and great customer skills is highly regarded.

David Jones provides a professional environment where employees learn attention to detail, great customer service and teamwork skills. A typical day begins with stock being collected from the basement to stock on any products that may be low on stock, during the hours of 11am-2pm employees sole purpose is to provide ultimate customer service, where employees are purely focued on the customers, the rest of the day attention is turned to making the shop impeccable, attention to detail is highly regarded. The Manager's were constantly in check with the employee's allowing positive relationships to be obtained between Management and employees. Co-workers were all very nice to work with, good communication is key in a job to ensure everyone works well together in the environment and to get the job done.

Pros

20% off

David Jones intro

a typical day consists of tidying your section chatting to customers and co workers management are by the book so it keeps any personal issues out of the picture co-workers all seemed to be equal

Pros

great culture

Cons

your just a number

Challenging and rewarding

David Jones is generally a great place to work. A typical day at work includes communicating with co-workers and upper management,as well as customers. Stock handling and working with a target budget in mind is also a few of the many things I do. Having the ability to juggle a few different things at a time is essential for this position. The hardest element of this job is the uncertainty casual workers face with gaining enough hours of work. David Jones does not have any minimum hours policy for their casual workers which means that very often, these people can find themselves out of work for a few months at a time. All of this depends on the season, how many other employers are contracted on part time or full time work and whether the target budget has been met. The most enjoyable element of this job is being able to meet and communicate so many interesting people who could be employers or customers. I anticipate the times where I am able to help a customer find exactly what they want. The satisfaction they get from purchasing their desired product is enough to make my day at work enjoyable. Most other employees are easy to get along with, and I feel I connect with them on a very personal level.

Pros

Great staff and department level managers/supervisors.

Cons

Casual hours are often unbalanced.

DJ's

There is no other store like David Jones. A nice place to work for.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at David Jones. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• David Jones
  • Sales Professional
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?