David Jones

Clear
3.4Work–Life Balance
3.3Pay & Benefits

Horrible management

Management was really poor, always rude and hard to work around. Good hours and pay however the management made it really hard to enjoy working there sadly.

Management always updated health and safety. Happy and enjoy.

I like working with David Jones, enjoy working with wonderful teams. Care, fun, You entitled for long service leave when you reach to 7 years. Special offers for staffs, discount and rewards. Christmas party

Average place to work

Would not work in management ever. They pick and choose favourites. The pay is minimum wage. The group discount is very good but you can't afford to buy it on the wages they give you so it's pretty pointless. It is a good job to just clock in and out of and not get into drama.

Fast Paced and Stressful

- Worked in the company for over 3 years, but wasn't offered any form of advancement or training in that duration. - Worked on production issues which can stressful at times. - Got to work with multiple Enterprise level systems- Work culture started deteriorating over time with people leaving and management's solution to outsourcing those roles to eternal vendors instead of hiring local talent.- Had to work on public holidays during Christmas and sometimes during weekends with little to no extra compensation. - Upskilling and training opportunities given to a select few.

Pros

Modern work space, staff discount

Cons

Stressful, no advancement, below average compensation

Not bad overall

Good company to work within a lot of discount from good brands, No stress at work at allany tip of people would work there. good for international students

Great place to work, good atmosphere and friendly staff

Having had several jobs at David Jones I can say that it is a typical retail workplace. The hours were fair and there was always a lot of work to do, but the team members were great to work with and the salary was good for the role - especially casual rates. The management were a bit of a mixed bag, some were fantastic and some were terrible. The customers were much the same, some very grateful for your help and attention and others thinking that they are better than you because they are shopping at “such a prestigious store”.. you just have to ignore those people, they can and do find their own way. The company culture is fantastic however and there are always chances for promotion if you are flexible, hard working and show initiative. It’s a great place for management pathway development. There are always competitive staff discounts, but I advise against opening a company staff credit card.. that is designed to gouge customers and staff alike. All-in-all, it is a good place to work.

Pros

Staff are usually treated well, the staff discounts are nice and the atmosphere is pleasant

Cons

Sometimes you get stuck with bad management, snooty customers and may have to travel between stores

A good christmas casual job to have

Fun and enjoyable job, sometimes there are bad customers but overall the team environment and work life balance makes it worth it. Really convenient to work from home especially during covid too. Worked on answering live chats.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

A bit stressful during the busy period but overall it's ok

Nice for a first job!

I worked here for 4 months as a Christmas casual and loved it. Clothes are nice, co workers are relaxed depending what department you work in. Management is not the greatest but you learn to not care so much.

Pros

Discount, pay is good compared to other retailers. Good Co workers.

Cons

Management could be better

Great place to work, can be draining

My position at David Jones is remote (at home), as a Customer Service Representative. I operate at home on my laptop doing inbound and outbound calls (mainly inbound) and transferring customers through to different locations/departments. The job itself can get repetitive but is overall easy work and not bad at all. Would recommend to friends and family.

Pros

Salary/Benefits, in the comfort of your own home, easy work, lovely staff members, paid training sessions

Cons

Can be very draining, customers get very frustrated with the system (understandably) (same as any other job)

Terrible environment. Lack of growth and organisation as a company.

Was alright at first, but over time the long boring hours really irritate you. Managers seem super passive aggressive and co-workers are so demanding.

Pros

discount

Cons

long hours, dungeon like staff room

Co-operative team

It was fun to work with them. Really helpful staff and love to work but their pay rate is not fair. Don't get enough shifts and long standing hours if you get enough hours.

Pros

Great discounts

Cons

Less hours(shifts)

They barely pay minimum wage and they still try to short change you!

Initially I was not paid for the hours and hours I spent training. Some of that training was even spent on the floor! So, basically they tried to me as free labour. I repeatedly raised this issue with my manager because we were not allowed to contact payroll directly. It took her almost three months to forward the email on to payroll. Then the payroll employee she contacted went on leave and could not action it for another three months. Does only one person work in payroll in this huge organisation? Then you will find yourself axed when you finally force the issue! But hey, that was all just a coincidence, right? No, they took issue with the fact that your area was untidy when Visual Merchandising came to visit before opening one morning. No mention of the fact that you were only rostered on for five hours on the previous day. Two and a half of those were spent downstairs in the freezing cold handing out flyers, and the other half was spent trying to make sales targets. I was on my hands and knees in the babywear section trying to tidy it up when a woman approached me asking how to order a pram. I went into that section and lo and behold no staff were available. When one finally showed up she had no clue how to do it, so I called my manager for help. Did she come? no, and while I was busy with someone else that staff member told her to come back the next day. Somehow I got the blame for that as well!!

Fun workplace with kind colleagues

I was responsible for advising clients based on their fashion styles and promoting suitable products to them to increase sales. And I sorted and organized the records of the sales in the information system and communicated with the warehouse staff to ensure stock adequacy. This job offered wonderful working environment and high compensation, and enhanced my communication skills and ability to handle multiple tasks. The hardest part was that it was too busy during Chirstmas so the workload was overwhelming. However, the colleagues were very friendly and caring there.

Fun place to work. Team members are friendly and collaborative.

Fun. Encouraging team members. Staff benefits. Positive environment. Work is fun and I always look forward for the next shift. Meeting different people gives you a lot of learning in a short time.

David Jones

Long time ago that I worked at DJs but it was a lovely time and great staff ,benefits were good too If I was looking again I would not hesitate to apply

Not bad at all

Had good memories there. Fast-paced but fun. People who work there are friendly with each other. The pay was good for a student like me at the time. Staff discounts. Can't complain.

Challenging work environment which becomes stressful at times

work on production issues always served with new challenge in terms of user reported incidents overnight batch process is not stable salary is average

Poor management & training

I never received training whilst working for the company. However, I met lovely co- workers, who were willing to assist me whenever possible. Though most staff were friendly, there definitely were unpleasant ones who became irritated when I asked for help. This goes for some managers I encountered as well. Particularly the store manager, who was passive aggressive & hostile. On my first shift I was left unsupervised for 3 hours, and throughout my time of employment it was common for me, along with other staff to work alone within a department. The conditions of the staff room weren’t very sanitary either. In the bag locker room there was a stack of used & mouldy dishes. An awful stench came from that area. Management knew of this, never dealt with it. Miscommunication was also a major issue within the store, which often resulted in tension forming between co-workers. Don’t recommend it.

Pros

Friendly staff. Good discounts and employee benefits.

Cons

Management is strongly disorganised. Understaffed. No training.

Pay not good

We haven't been paid fairly. Paid less and no sickie paid. Not even paid once for a sick call. I had more than 150 hours of sick call left before I left the job.

not enough support for staff

left here cause I had a nervous break down, staff wasn't supported enough as manager changed way to much. otherwise would of been an amazing place to work

Pros

you can move up in your role, good staff benefits and great discounts

Cons

not enough support

Wasting time

poor management,Double standard, poor teamleadership, low pay. They do not appreciate for your effort and contribution. I won't recommend any job in DJ to my friends as they deserve a better job.

Pros

staff discount? sorry, not to contractor

Cons

poor system, high volume of work and never to be end

Ask a question about working or interviewing at David Jones. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare David Jones with