Deakin University
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Deakin University Employee Reviews

4.2Work–Life Balance

work culture changed dramatically

the work culture prior to the current CFO starting was a fantastic culture. Staff were dedicated and felt valued and had a voice, they were extremely productive, embraced change and were continually seeking improvement to their processes. upon the new cfo commencing all management were slowly pushed out of the organisation and new management were employed that were former employees of the CFO. The entire workplace culture changed, instead of saving money by doing this the salary budget increased dramatically and the productivity decreased with less innovation, staff were no longer heard or valued, innovation ceased and the culture completely changed. The wrong people were brought into the organisation and this made staff lose faith in the management team, resulting in high staff turnover. This was extremely disappointing. Prior to this occurring the organisation was a fantastic organisation to work for.

I was employed as a Covid Safe Ambassador, a typical day was to ensure that the public who came into Burwood Compass, to apply social distance rules. What I learned after just two shifts is that I myself didn't feel safe as we worked on our own and that also using positive strategies was not always appropriate. Felt that management was rushed and that my pay didnot go through also and needed to chase this up. The hardest part of the job was working on your own and been told constantly about the social distance rules when we already knew ourselves.The most enjoyable part of the job ?

Pros

We were provided a vest and other equpment

Cons

It was to far to travel

Extremely bad and political workplace

Extremely stressful. They treat employees as currency for their own growth. The jobs are extremely stressful. If you want to join then be ready for the humiliations from your boss. But, there are few good researchers too. Lower level researchers feel abused. Researchers have a track record of complaints but no strict actions are taken. The Workplace is highly political. Management already has so many justifications for the bad behaviours of the researchers. PhD student is only cheap labour. Superiority has given to people who are incompetent. They even lack basic knowledge.

Pros

Diverse culture

Cons

Extremely stressful, disrespectful

Productive place to work

Since i was an intern over there, I had my time to carryout my research under a good environment. Just wish they did provide allowance for me to support my self. Otherwise its all good.

Pros

Good work stations

Cons

No allowance

Amazing place to work

Great work life balance. Great people. Great salary. Regular team activities. Since its a University environment, there are many activities that take place on campus every now and then which is a lot of fun!

Education and infrastructure that supports student

This University provides more study space and online materials. It guides student towards success. Talented lectures for training students in their domain. Improving the education and including advanced topics provides more information for students to enhance their career.

Pros

Free university library access and other study related software.

productive

good working environment, motivating and supportive teamwork. great university for work and study. highly recommended. did my bachelor here great study environment

Well organised and friendly English Language Department

Approachable management and varied work - obviously teaching using the latest technology - ex smart boards/computers etc. With excursions and Study Tour groups makes the life of a teacher here diversified. Also lots of opportunities for Professional Development.

helps staff to do their job

progressive university with excellent understanding of technology and student learning. good processes to deal with distance and online learning. great location

good

bad

Productive and fun place to work

My time at Deakin University is fun and a very rewarding experience! There is a lot to learn from working at Deakin University. A very supportive environment.

Jobs at Deakin University

See more jobs

Overwhelming

Very stressful and you need to know a lot about the university, the university itself is huge and its just a bit overwhelming. I was working full time Monday to Friday from 9 til 5 sometimes skipping breaks to keep up.

very organised and friendly workplace

I learned how to adapt to and learn to teach from a variety of curriculums in a short period of time. Teaching mostly motivated young adults was enjoyable. I also enjoyed teaching courses that were five weeks long.

As volunteer of the peer mentor program gave me a new perspective in terms of helping people to adjust and belong.

As part of the peer mentor program as a volunteer enables me to have an understanding of how difficult it would be to adjust and adopt to new surroundings and how this kind of support system would help them in what they are experiencing for them to cope with their life especially for new students.

fun workplace

it's fun to work with other students that are my age and those that are older. The workplace encourages the employees to be better in what they are doing. The salary and work-life balance are good.

Good workplace for non-research professionals. No job security for research professionals.

Tight funding for research means NO job security. Good work environment, but significant delays due to OHS red tape. Overall, a good workplace, IF you have job security.

Fun workplace

company offers growth, gives you benefits to in their package, monthly based activities , encourages to take part in environmental related work, job security.

Team work is collaborative

Worked on a project which required managing several different levels of staff throughout the university. Having good communication skills - both verbal and written is very useful

Goood university

Great place to work. People enjoyable and supportive. My role was challenging. I learnt a lot about the university. Academics are world renonded for their research.

Deakin University

An outstanding learning enviroment however full of nasty politics and egotistical people running the place. If you are not into diversity and are a smoker you will be completely demonised and will not fit in

Great Workplace

Easily reached by bus. Great facilities and many international students and staff. Friendly staff. Large international student population and many international staff members. Great facilities.

Great place to work. Great facilities and ammenities.

Great place to work. Great facilities and ammenities. Accessible by public transport. Serviced by a few bus routes. Friendly staff. Great studentpopulation. .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Deakin University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2