Deakin University Employee Reviews in Geelong VIC

interesting methods
RECEPTION OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Geelong VIC8 November 2018
essentially in this role you are paid NOT to think, if you do not believe in everything them you will not advance
answering the phone,live chat and emails- guiding the students and thier questions to departments
Best University to learn and work
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Geelong VIC18 February 2018
It was as amazing experience working in Deakin. Wide knowledge people and very friendly work culture.
Everyone gets equal chance to perform and make their mark in limited amount of time..
Flexible and productive workplace
Event Organization- Staff Member (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Geelong VIC19 October 2017
Attending pre-event meetings. Being thorough with the responsibilities and duties. Working in a team to deliver the arrangements before deadlines. Reporting to the event manager.
Great day meeting lots of people and giving them an experience of the uni
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Geelong VIC5 October 2017
Start quite early to prepare the banners.Then as the public started coming in, we gave them directions. Helped for a presentation along with a colleague and a tutor about the architecture school twice. Was really fun since I was working with fellow archi student.
Pros
Free lunch, free t-shirt and freebies
Cons
none that i can think of
Supportive work environment
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Geelong VIC22 May 2017
Deakin is supportive in the skill and career development of its staff, and offers great benefits and salary. They are committed to providing exceptional education to the students, and constantly look for ways to improve service delivery.
Good place to work and study
Graduate student (Former Employee) –  Geelong8 November 2016
Good and healthy environment. the research culture here is at international standards and of good research infracstructure
Pros
student friendly
Cons
flexible hours
Working as a Student to Promote the University
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Geelong, VIC2 November 2015
Great place to work, study and develop skills.
Working as a Student Ambassador enabled me to expand my working experience while studying. My employers understood that I was still a student but were very supportive and keen for feedback.
Always looking to improve and supper supportive.
Average
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Geelong2 July 2015
I have worked at Deakin for a few years and the culture in the school that I worked in was awful. Everyone was over-worked and miserable. There was a lack of care over the fact that we were teaching material that has not been updates since the 90s, despite the area having gone through extensive transformation. I would never study here again nor work there.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Poor culture among staff.
Bullied from the top down
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Geelong17 March 2015
Typical day:
Doesn't matter how hard you work, how many achievements, solutions and recognition's you receive and complete, it all a waste time. The bullying and boy clubs mentality creates a venomous and ugly workplace.

Management:
This is where the bullying thrives.

Co workers:
A majority of co workers in ITSD are a boy club whom will take every step to ensure you fail.

Hardest part of the job:
Is keeping your morale up. Its soul destroying when you realise the hidden internals and vile, lazy bullying management.

Most enjoyable part of job:
Was saying good bye to ITSD and Deakin University. Not somewhere i would recommend working.
Pros
Politics, some esolution expereince
Cons
Bullying Mentality, Favouritsm, Boys club, No career progression, racism, sexism
Excellent group to work with and an amazing project to be a part of.
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Geelong, VIC24 January 2015
Great place to be and an amazing learning environment. Got to learn how to work in a team and get work done with a collective effort.
PM role at a university
Technical Projects Manager (Current Employee) –  Geelong, VIC28 April 2014
A typical day at work could entail meetings and phone calls to external contacts to resolve issues with connectivity at a third location. It could also allow for development and learning time along with experimentation and innovation with new apps, devices or software.
I have learned to work with a wide variety of people across many cultures and beliefs.
My immediate manager is impeccable, however management above that level has no idea what our team does or the amount of money we save the area.
My Co-workers are a great team and i have formed friendships outside of work hours with some of them. They are a diverse range of people with exceptional talents.
The hardest part of my job and the most enjoyable part of my job here is delivering a complete solution to a customer.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
upper management
Professional, well managed, great staff, some training opportunities
ESL TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Geelong30 January 2014
- clearly structured and organised program
- interesting range of students that make working a pleasure
- fair and professional management
- friendly, down-to-earth colleagues always happy to share and support each other as a team
- inconsistent employment due to nature of intakes
- beautiful campus at Geelong Waterfront
fun happy environment and work hard too
cleaner (Former Employee) –  geelong28 August 2012
was always happy at this work place every body got alone, easy atmosphere to be able to enjoy ur work, i leant heaps of stuff in the kitchen and the opportunity to do things that u wouldnt get tought . everybody who worked there varyed at all different ages and got alone well, if there were any disputes with others we mind our own business and go aon about work
Pros
every now n then we be rewarded with lunch, if was night shift entittled to dinner
Cons
done 2 shifts if somebody could make it