Deakin University Management reviews

Good people, horrible hiring process
Adviser (Former Employee) –  Burwood VIC31 March 2019
Good people
Nice management
Good ix of men and women
Nice enough places to eat

Understaffed in areas that need more
Money sometimes spent on stupid things like art sculptures when staff struggle
More communications between departments and students needed
Staff friendly (not HR)
Could use more vibe eg a more chilled out bar (nothing cool, only a very stuffy upper class place for a drink)
Pros
5 weeks paid leave, 17% super, can park, friendly people all around
Cons
Boring location, content dry, immensely draining screening and hiring process
No work life balance
AGILE PRACTICE MANAGER AND PMO MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC31 January 2019
Job was not enjoyable enough, inability to get anything needed approved by the Director in the area I worked. University has no experience with Agile Project Methodology - ultimately was "difficult" at best. Many management handovers.
good place to work
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Burwood VIC4 March 2018
It is kind of internship, a wonderful place to work.
Pros

Good salary, nice colleagues, many opportunities to grow and expand our potentials. Good research funding comparable to Group of 8 uni

Cons

People from minor ethnic background do not get much chance in leadership positions. At least thats what we can see / notice in the executive positions
Great colleagues and environment, terrible managers
Student Advisor, Faculty of Business & Law (Former Employee) –  Burwood VIC2 April 2016
My tenure with Deakin was enjoyable except when there was a sudden change in management and those individuals had no concept of managing people. They treat you like property or objects and have high levels of hypocrisy and double standards. It is unfortunate that such an amazing organisation is being destroyed from within by poor middle management.
Pros
great career opportunities and friendly colleagues
Cons
poor middle management that don't have any personnel management skills
Average
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Geelong2 July 2015
I have worked at Deakin for a few years and the culture in the school that I worked in was awful. Everyone was over-worked and miserable. There was a lack of care over the fact that we were teaching material that has not been updates since the 90s, despite the area having gone through extensive transformation. I would never study here again nor work there.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Poor culture among staff.
Bullied from the top down
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Geelong17 March 2015
Typical day:
Doesn't matter how hard you work, how many achievements, solutions and recognition's you receive and complete, it all a waste time. The bullying and boy clubs mentality creates a venomous and ugly workplace.

Management:
This is where the bullying thrives.

Co workers:
A majority of co workers in ITSD are a boy club whom will take every step to ensure you fail.

Hardest part of the job:
Is keeping your morale up. Its soul destroying when you realise the hidden internals and vile, lazy bullying management.

Most enjoyable part of job:
Was saying good bye to ITSD and Deakin University. Not somewhere i would recommend working.
Pros
Politics, some esolution expereince
Cons
Bullying Mentality, Favouritsm, Boys club, No career progression, racism, sexism
PM role at a university
Technical Projects Manager (Current Employee) –  Geelong, VIC28 April 2014
A typical day at work could entail meetings and phone calls to external contacts to resolve issues with connectivity at a third location. It could also allow for development and learning time along with experimentation and innovation with new apps, devices or software.
I have learned to work with a wide variety of people across many cultures and beliefs.
My immediate manager is impeccable, however management above that level has no idea what our team does or the amount of money we save the area.
My Co-workers are a great team and i have formed friendships outside of work hours with some of them. They are a diverse range of people with exceptional talents.
The hardest part of my job and the most enjoyable part of my job here is delivering a complete solution to a customer.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
upper management
Professional, well managed, great staff, some training opportunities
ESL TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Geelong30 January 2014
- clearly structured and organised program
- interesting range of students that make working a pleasure
- fair and professional management
- friendly, down-to-earth colleagues always happy to share and support each other as a team
- inconsistent employment due to nature of intakes
- beautiful campus at Geelong Waterfront
Friendly and contemporary work environment
Head of School of Architecture & Building (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, Australia5 January 2014
Academic leadership
Management of staff
Finance
Research
Teaching
reliable and trustworthy
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Waurn Ponds, VIC10 September 2013
I always strive to do my best in whatever I do. I have a friendly nature and I get on well with most people that I meet. I am able to communicate effectively with a range of people including family members, my peers and adults.
i have learned a lot such as, team work , help each other and do your best.
the management was good and understanding when it comes us and always call us to know if there anything need to be done or added to complete the job.
The hardest part in the job , when you working a lot and u have to do most of the work by your self as my team was sick.
The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing new people and understanding each other.
Pros
Salary paid and Team work
Cons
Short hours
I will write about CRT work, as Deakin wasn't a job. You never quite know what sort of a day you are in for, as the class and timetable always changes
Casual Relief Teacher- ( not at Deakin) (Current Employee) –  Scools in the Blackburn area4 September 2012
Arrive in the school, find out which class you are in, go to the room and see if there is anything left for you. If so, read instructions and make myself familiar with the expectations. If there is nothing left, find some examples of what work they have been doing, (I always bring some activity books with me), see what topic the class is doing and arrange some work for the class. Check on the teachers table and speak to other teachers to see if there is anything that I should know- children with special needs/ allergies etc. I would also check to see if I was on any extra duties for the day. I would write down if there were any places that we had to be during the day, the times for recess and lunch, so that I could have the class prepared, and then I would then work my way through the day.

You always learn something new each day, there is always something that crops up to test you.

Management is crucial to keep the day running smoothly, both within the classroom and the school.

Co-workers are very important to make a workplace an enjoyable place to work. Working as a team and helping each other through the ups and downs helps to provide support and a cohesive workplace.

The hardest part of CRT work is that you never quite know what sort of a day you are in for, or the background and problems that the students have. You may not know if you are going to work until the day, so it can be a rush at times.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when a student enjoys what they are doing and if the 'penny drops' for a student that has been having difficulties.
Pros
you get to work in a wide range of schools. you don't have all the meetings, and you don't have to write reports.
Cons
not ongoing employment.