Play YouTube video button

Deakin University Employee Reviews

Bullied from the top down
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Geelong17 March 2015
Typical day:
Doesn't matter how hard you work, how many achievements, solutions and recognition's you receive and complete, it all a waste time. The bullying and boy clubs mentality creates a venomous and ugly workplace.

Management:
This is where the bullying thrives.

Co workers:
A majority of co workers in ITSD are a boy club whom will take every step to ensure you fail.

Hardest part of the job:
Is keeping your morale up. Its soul destroying when you realise the hidden internals and vile, lazy bullying management.

Most enjoyable part of job:
Was saying good bye to ITSD and Deakin University. Not somewhere i would recommend working.
Pros
Politics, some esolution expereince
Cons
Bullying Mentality, Favouritsm, Boys club, No career progression, racism, sexism
Once off acting role
Actor - Simpatient (Former Employee) –  Burwood7 February 2015
This was a once off Acting role (but it may be re-occurring) in which I was a Simpatient suffering with mental disorders which was filmed to be used later in classes.
Excellent group to work with and an amazing project to be a part of.
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Geelong, VIC24 January 2015
Great place to be and an amazing learning environment. Got to learn how to work in a team and get work done with a collective effort.
Get a chance to assist students who need help
Student Rover Library (Current Employee) –  Burwood, VIC20 November 2014
Assist students who need help in university. I have learnt to use a great manners to communicate with the students and co-worker, improved my customer service skills and improved my computer skills as well. The most enjoyable part is I could get to communicate and interact with the students meanwhile improve my socialization skills. I had a great teamwork with the co-worker, and we made sure that everything is well managed in the library during the working hours or during orientation.
Pros
flexible hours
Productive, fun and educational envirinment
University Student (Current Employee) –  Waurn Ponds6 November 2014
A typical day at University involves lectures and tutorials (or as Deakin have currently changed them to Classes and Lectures) surrounded by many wonderful, supporting and hardworking people of all ages, ethicity and background, which helps create such a warm and welcoming environment for all.

Each and every day is a wonderful day where continuous learning of new theories, knowledge of your units and a greater and wider understanding of each topic is obtained.

Deakin provides a safe, fun, friendly and educational environment for everyone.

There is no hard part of my day as I am where I want to be at all times and continuously learning.

The most enjoyable part of going to Deakin is knowing that with each day that passes you know you are one day closer of achieving your goals. Which is thanks to the wonderful set up and amazing staff in which Deakin provides.
Friendly work environment
Sessional Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Burwood, VIC23 September 2014
Friendly work environment, with Timelines to meet the goals.
Healthy, creative and productive work environment
Marketing and Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Victoria, Australia19 May 2014
Fantastic place to work, excellent colleagues. Endless opportunities for creative collaboration within and outside of core team.
PM role at a university
Technical Projects Manager (Current Employee) –  Geelong, VIC28 April 2014
A typical day at work could entail meetings and phone calls to external contacts to resolve issues with connectivity at a third location. It could also allow for development and learning time along with experimentation and innovation with new apps, devices or software.
I have learned to work with a wide variety of people across many cultures and beliefs.
My immediate manager is impeccable, however management above that level has no idea what our team does or the amount of money we save the area.
My Co-workers are a great team and i have formed friendships outside of work hours with some of them. They are a diverse range of people with exceptional talents.
The hardest part of my job and the most enjoyable part of my job here is delivering a complete solution to a customer.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
upper management
Top Uni
Full Time Student (Current Employee) –  Melbourne30 March 2014
A great place to study.

Friendly staff.

Friendly students.

Good learning experience.
Professional, well managed, great staff, some training opportunities
ESL TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Geelong30 January 2014
- clearly structured and organised program
- interesting range of students that make working a pleasure
- fair and professional management
- friendly, down-to-earth colleagues always happy to share and support each other as a team
- inconsistent employment due to nature of intakes
- beautiful campus at Geelong Waterfront
Effective Program
Deakin University Mentor Program (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC12 January 2014
The program allows for new students to assimilate to the University student life especially for those who have not experienced University life. Very effective program as students, both the mentors and mentees, gain a lot from the program.
Pros
Free Lunch
Friendly and contemporary work environment
Head of School of Architecture & Building (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, Australia5 January 2014
Academic leadership
Management of staff
Finance
Research
Teaching
Productive fun learning
Mentoring and Tutoring Project (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC17 December 2013
I care for children of all ages. I interact with parents and teachers. I get a field of what's it's like in thei personal lives and I strive to help them be their best for their futures.
Pros
rewarding results
Cons
Waking up early
GIS Analyst (Full-time Casual) (Current Employee) –  Burwood, S24 October 2013
Good work environment.
People work cooperatively and towards reaching good outcomes.
Good, interesting research
Teaching and Learning two way process
Causal Tutor/Demonstrator (Current Employee) –  Waurn Ponds, VIC27 September 2013
Tutoring is the two ways process of learning; if the students are keen to participate then learning will be more enjoyable. I try to make teaching and learning more paricipatory; by taking some steps for solving and then ask students to give their views.Sometime it works if Students are willings to join, but some time it doesnot work if they want to become passive.
Pros
Enjoyable and fruitful if both tutor and students envolved
Cons
students want to have each and every step done by tutor, do not want to participate
reliable and trustworthy
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Waurn Ponds, VIC10 September 2013
I always strive to do my best in whatever I do. I have a friendly nature and I get on well with most people that I meet. I am able to communicate effectively with a range of people including family members, my peers and adults.
i have learned a lot such as, team work , help each other and do your best.
the management was good and understanding when it comes us and always call us to know if there anything need to be done or added to complete the job.
The hardest part in the job , when you working a lot and u have to do most of the work by your self as my team was sick.
The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing new people and understanding each other.
Pros
Salary paid and Team work
Cons
Short hours
I will write about CRT work, as Deakin wasn't a job. You never quite know what sort of a day you are in for, as the class and timetable always changes
Casual Relief Teacher- ( not at Deakin) (Current Employee) –  Scools in the Blackburn area4 September 2012
Arrive in the school, find out which class you are in, go to the room and see if there is anything left for you. If so, read instructions and make myself familiar with the expectations. If there is nothing left, find some examples of what work they have been doing, (I always bring some activity books with me), see what topic the class is doing and arrange some work for the class. Check on the teachers table and speak to other teachers to see if there is anything that I should know- children with special needs/ allergies etc. I would also check to see if I was on any extra duties for the day. I would write down if there were any places that we had to be during the day, the times for recess and lunch, so that I could have the class prepared, and then I would then work my way through the day.

You always learn something new each day, there is always something that crops up to test you.

Management is crucial to keep the day running smoothly, both within the classroom and the school.

Co-workers are very important to make a workplace an enjoyable place to work. Working as a team and helping each other through the ups and downs helps to provide support and a cohesive workplace.

The hardest part of CRT work is that you never quite know what sort of a day you are in for, or the background and problems that the students have. You may not know if you are going to work until the day, so it can be a rush at times.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when a student enjoys what they are doing and if the 'penny drops' for a student that has been having difficulties.
Pros
you get to work in a wide range of schools. you don't have all the meetings, and you don't have to write reports.
Cons
not ongoing employment.
fun happy environment and work hard too
cleaner (Former Employee) –  geelong28 August 2012
was always happy at this work place every body got alone, easy atmosphere to be able to enjoy ur work, i leant heaps of stuff in the kitchen and the opportunity to do things that u wouldnt get tought . everybody who worked there varyed at all different ages and got alone well, if there were any disputes with others we mind our own business and go aon about work
Pros
every now n then we be rewarded with lunch, if was night shift entittled to dinner
Cons
done 2 shifts if somebody could make it