Dentons Employee Reviews

Since the merger it has been downhill
Staff (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA8 July 2019
Denton's seems to only care about being the biggest law firm in the world. Nothing else seems to matter. They talk in cliches and meet about meeting and they spend money like drunken sailors on leave.
They say their talent is respected but its not
Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 June 2019
You work way too hard for the money. They keep merging with other firms in other countries to grow their name but it leaves assistants just overworked, unsupported and fully taken advantage of.
Cons
No money
Workplace Culture and National Decision-Making
Co-Executive Assistant to the Managing Partner (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 May 2019
I worked there for over 19 years and enjoyed most of my time there as it was an exciting, ever changing workplace that afforded plenty of opportunities for advancement and continuous learning. However, the workplace culture and national versus local decision making process changed enough that I no longer was a good fit so ultimately chose to leave the company.
Pros
Good salaries
Cons
Management attitude and treatment of staff
Clean a d friendly.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TN19 May 2019
I didn't mind working here, but if you do not want to put in a little manual labor then this is not the job for you. I no longer wanted to work fast food which is why I left.
Typical Corporate
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NY16 May 2019
They want you to believe their is growth, if you are willing to give up your entire social life. For a company that considers inclusion and women's rights to be so important, I have never seen such a company be so adamant about account for every minute away from the desk, penalizing people with personal scolding for calling out to be home with family, and the expectation to put the company ahead of anyone and anything else to chase a dollar. Some people prefer to just make a livable wage and get home at a decent hour. If that is your plan, do not apply here. If you are a new graduate looking to make awesome connections, learn the industry and put in serious hours to create a foundation for your career, then apply. That is all.
Pros
free lunch after attorneys eat
Cons
trade your down time to make more money, or settle for the percentage raise.
Worst place i ever worked.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Chicago27 April 2019
Unless you are destitute and absolutely need a job don't go to Dentons. The entire firm is a mess. They are so concentrated on being the world's biggest firm that they have forgotten quality over quantity. This firm is a nightmare.
Pros
A lot of free food.
Cons
Worst management EVER.
In Dentons we trust..
Legal Secratary (Former Employee) –  Phoenix22 April 2019
Horrible managing partners in the Phoenix Office. Run, don't walk away from these folks. Uptight, unfriendly and and assumptive people. You will need to read minds with little information to possibly survive. Turn over is high. Will be told "it just isn't working out" with no details.
Pros
Pay
Cons
You will need to be a mind reader to survive with little information.
Great place to work with the right team.
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC7 April 2019
I was very excited to be offered the position to work at Dentons. I would work with the very established and successful healthcare team. The position was developed under very unusual circumstances and did not evolve as hoped (i.e., there were 2 people in a duplicate role).
Pros
Friendly and great team.
Poor Management
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL8 March 2019
HR and the managers are not good. Very dsyfunctional management, especially in HR.

Also their Benefits are too expensive.

Management doesnt listen to their staff.
Pros
Bagels, donut days. Generious PTO
Cons
Poor management, especially in HR
A posting HR didnt create.
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 February 2019
Management is not cognitive or able to provide staff support for effective client relationships.
Unhealthy work environment saturated in low morale, toxic senior staff and oblivious management.
Pros
Always met new people due to continual huge staff turnover
Cons
HR dept is unresponsive to staff, Legal Assistant Manager was the main problem.
Juggernaut
Attorney (Former Employee) –  Missouri2 February 2019
Large law firm with high standards for advancement. Unlimited resources and opportunities. Focused on the largest international clients and continuous expansion.
Great benefits, large firm, social activities
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 January 2019
Dentons Canada LLP allows individuals to work individually within a department team. Work varied from preparation and distribution of accounts to clients, preparation of corporate and tax documents and filings, digital filing of documents, booking meetings, interaction and communications with clients and, mentoring of staff and Students-At-Law.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the lawyers I worked for over the past number of years.
Dentons is a good place to work.
Director of Diversity (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA6 January 2019
Dentons is a good place to work. A typical day provides opportunity for learning, sharing, and growing professionally. The management is interested and committed to creating a productive work environment where employees are valued and appreciated. The mission and goal is to maximize on the diversity and talent employees bring to the Firm.The most enjoyable aspect of the job is the belief there is potential for growth and that your colleagues are all interested in the well-being of you as an individual as well as, the Firm.
Pros
Prestige, Reputation, Brand
Cons
Silo's
Excellent team environment
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 January 2019
Good team environment, supportive learning, up to date software with a primary focus on professionalism and precision in a timely manner. Dentons has a stellar team of various professionals working together that instilled confidence in my abilities as I was a practicum student. I was proud to have had the opportunity to experience what it was to learn and gain knowledge from a great group of professionals.
not a balanced environment
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY16 December 2018
Depending on your position at the Firm your experience can be different. However there is no moral at the Firm nor is there a balanced life. Expect to work 10+ hours a day with zero appreciation for the time you are putting in. Management here is a joke, their priorities are completely backwards and their desire to keep employees happy is non existent.
"Was better before the merger"
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 November 2018
Pros

-Van office is filled with competent and professional people
-Great staff in terms of reliability
-Updated technology infrastructure
- Great benefits and vacation (4 weeks) plus paid personal days

Cons

-Constant "house cleaning"
-Some managers and lawyers leave much to be desired in the people skills
-Little opportunity for career advancement
Dsyfunctional Firm
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL13 November 2018
Firm headed in wrong direction.

No communication with management and employees.

High turn over in attorneys. Health insurance is expensive.

HR is upside down.
Pros
Donuts
Cons
No direction in management
Respectful and great atomosphere - very friendly and amazing staff.
Meeting Room Co-Coordinator/Switchboard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 September 2018
Denton's taught me how to be a great host and provide our clients with the best experience possible. I was able to observe the preparation with meetings and questioning with clients. I observed and assisted preparation for these meetings and help organize any services required. I enjoyed working in the Legal Industry and was so intrigued and wanted to learn more. This job is why I went back to school hoping I could pursue a career in this field.
Requires a lot of commitment
Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA26 August 2018
If you are choosing to work at this firm it will require a lot of commitment. Task can come at at any time. Many times expect to receive assignments at the last minute. If you are well balanced then you will do fine.
Good co-workers
Application Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary23 August 2018
Co-workers were great, but management, not so great. I worked there for 9 months, and my manager only came into the room where we worked less than 5 times.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dentons. Our community is ready to answer.