Department for Child Protection Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Hardworking staff with a sense of commitment
Business Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Netley SA1 December 2017
Researching files for information to be provided to SAPOL and Crown. Photocopying files, archiving files, records management, training other staff, answering phone calls
Pros
Flexitime
Country Support
AHP1 Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Adelaide SA3 January 2017
I love this work, children need to be protected and our country offices (Whyalla, Ceduna, Port Pirie, Mount Gambier etc) need an extra hand every now and then.
I have learnt about accountability and organisation and have a supportive professional team around me.
The most challenging part of the job is working with children and families who feel hopeless, it is important to empower these families to do their very best while always considering the best interrests of the child.
working in Child Protection is so fulfilling, you are never EVER bored and every day is different.
Enjoyable place to work/ good people/ lots of opportunity for learning and sharing experience.
Child Protection Worker (SC Level 1 Year 5) (Former Employee) –  Western Australia27 January 2015
there is no typical day in child protection work. you may had a day planned and if it goes to plan you are lucky ..... things happen that are unplanned and your day can just change.
Responsibilities are case management of children and young people in care, writing reports including court reports, investigating allegations of child abuse, interviewing children and families, liaising and building relationships with community such as police and schools.
You have the opportunity to learn something new everyday, I grabbed those opportunities as they arose. I learnt a lot from the way others practice and helped me further shape the way I practice as a social worker. I also learnt a lot about myself, my strengths and my areas of development.
Management - I sometimes struggled with management as their views about the way things needed to be done some times conflicted with my professional values and beliefs. I understand that management had a job to do.
I loved my colleagues. I worked in a small office in country WA and so was lucky to be part of a small cohesive and supportive team.
I think the hardest part of any job working in the human services industry is leaving work at work. It is something I think we have to force ourselves to do even though it is hard not to think about work when we go home.
The most enjoyable part of the position for me was meeting new people building new relationships with kids, carers and birth parents. I love the small victories ......
High stress work environment with a high chance to burnout
Child Protection Worker (Former Employee) –  broome21 November 2014
you would hit the ground running as soon as you got to the office responding to any phonecall or emails. My first task would be to prioritise and plan my day. I learned about case managing a large case load - up to 15 clients. My co-workers were also very busy doing the same thing. the hardest part of the job was the lack of support and training at the start of the job. the most enjoyable part of the job was some of the positive chanes i saw in some of the clients
Pros
free housing/subsided utilities
Cons
long hours/high stress
I enjoyed working at karratha office with the team of Social workers there. I enjoyed the knowledge gained and the experience of living in Karratha WA
Case Worker/ Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Karratha Western Australia14 September 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed what I learned at DCP
I thoroughly enjoyed working with my Co workers at Karratha office.

Want to know more about Department for Child Protection?

Ask a question