Department for Education and Child Development (DECD)
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Department for Education and Child Development (DECD) Employee Reviews

Australia19 reviews
Challenging students that required, a team approach, to help support and create a successful environment. work with a individual work plan, for challenged sutdents.
Pros
Very Rewarding
Cons
Can take a while before you begin work as a casual reliever as you are registered online and many sites have their own relieving lists. Get paid fortnightly and award has just been increased so it is better than what it was before.
This position has sadly changed from when I first was employed. The position is working with students with disabilities in a main stream school. Depending on the student’s needs the position is very varied. The teaching staff are wonderful but is very hard to support a child with complex needs.
Friendly collaborative culture. The training was provided for performing the digitisation of hard-copy files. One of the team members was always trying to control and dictate others because he was at the Education Department, longest. Even the team leader was able to tell him anything even though he was inappropriately interrupting when two persons were in the middle of a work-related conversation.
Very rewarding occupation. A fast passed job with a high expectation for quality. I thoroughly enjoyed my time as a classroom teacher, however, my passion lies predominately with literacy and phonics.
ok to work in,
very big organisation.

office politics sometimes

most people are lovely and helpful.

caring and sharing.

peoples professional development needs to be improved
I personally had a bad experience due to my trusting nature, and was taken advantage of. My line manager did not offer supervision and i would need to chase her up for support.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Unsuported by upline
The work place culture in many schools is one of top down leadership without concern for the individual. Management and leadership have far too much scope to make decisions which impact on teaching and learning on a site level rather than at a state level.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Don’t get old.
DECD is a very unwieldy organisation which is riddled with"mates" and nepotism. The students are great, as are most of the teachers. But management and leadership is closed to anyone who doesn't toe the line. Buzz words are at the heart of everything DECD does. Those who toe the line will be fine. Those who do not will be ignored. - I have never applied for leadership in DECD, so please note that this is not the rant of an embittered applicant! The culture is pretty toxic though.
Pros
You can fulfil the goal of educating for the future, and making a difference.
Cons
You're caught up in a kind of Soviet machine.
I enjoy working with my colleagues, as well as the sometimes autonomous nature of the work. Also, the variety that every day generally brings.

Unfortunately there is not really any possibility of career advancement in my position.

It can be highly stressful and the workload is basically impossible.

Restructures happen on quite a regular basis which can make people feel very unsettled, and concerned about their job security.

Management varies, depending on where you work.
Pros
Daily variety
Cons
Highly stressful
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Department for Education and Child Development (DECD)?
A typical day includes teaching, student support, collaboration with colleagues, yard duties, student behaviour management.
Working as a teacher in DECD is rewarding and fun, but also challenging.

If you you enjoy working with students aged 11 years and older then you should enjoy day to day teaching as most students are serious about their work and commitments. Challenging student however, can be VERY challenging and often the same can be said of indulging- and helicopter parents.

DECD is also in the midst (at the time of the writing of this review) of significant systemic changes that is going to demand much of staff, students and parents/carers and other stakeholders.

These changes will place much pressure and expectation on teachers, but those who embrace change and love challenges should succeed.

A down-side of working for DECD is how hard it is to become a permanent teacher. One has to start out as a TRT (Temporary Relief Teacher), then obtain contracts ranging from a few weeks up to a calendar year. One only stand a chance of permanency once you start to get contracts. I'm aware of other teachers who have been contract teacher for 10 years+ without ever getting to the interview stage of application processes, and I'm referring to good, highly skilled/experienced teacher.
Pros
To watch student grow and reach their goals.
Cons
Long hours, a 6 hour school day plus hours of after school meetings, PD's preparation and assessments.
I am happy to start at any time.

I have a good skill to management my class room, modify and differentiate the subject to be suitable for each student.

I have long time working with multicultural environment.

Nothing hard, any hard area can be easy with learn and with a little bet of patios.

my enjoy area is the Mathematics for all levels.
Pros
nothing
Cons
My school has a very dynamic and positive learning culture that embraces the wider community.

DECD is a system that appears to be confused and focused on making education purely a business whilst paying attention to only a few limited voices within itself.
Pros
Great holidays.
Cons
Inconsistent employment and stuck in the 1980s.
Management in many areas will not back their youth work teams and offer no support while dealing with many difficulties.
working for department of education and children services is very challenging and have a good team of colleagues around you give you an extra support to overcome these challenges. as one of the staff at the school some times we can have a very tough day because of one incident or some impropriate behaviour. talking to the students about what the school's expectations are can be very challenging and getting the messages through when they are not keen to listen even make it more harder. have a healthy and constructive communication with co-worker ensure the quality of work we provide for the students. if we want to have an enjoyable work environment we should treat each other with the respect and dignity. one of my hardest time in school when a colleagues or work mate is about to announce his or her retirement or departure from the school.
Teaching, Positive relationship with teachers and students
I work in a large Regional High School with a student body of around 1,000 students. Due to the Regional isolation an Arts culture is quite hard to maintain in an area dominated by Sports culture. There is a lot of change in management and at times this can be frustrating, as very competant and innovative managers often move to the Metropolitan area. The most enjoyable part of my day is the classroom and Teaching itself, which provides me with endless creative opportunities to facilitate learning for a wide variety of students from a varied range of socio-economic backgrounds. Everyday is full of challenges and learning opportunities for refining the craft of teaching and developing new curriculum understanding. The Performing Arts has specific challenges, on a daily basis, and each day is filled with a variety of organisational and creative decisions. The Arts community/faculty is always fun and productive as a work environment and although many government schools are underfunded, we are provided with endless creative challenges around developing quailty Arts education with what we have available regarding physical resources.
Opportunity to travel to a variety of locations throughout South Australia
Working for DECD is amazing. There so many fantastic personal rewards. I love working with the children to help them reach there education goals. My co works and fantastic always willing to help each other out.
Hardest part of the job is student agression which dosn't happen that often.

The most enjooyable part of my job is when I have helped a student learn some thing that may have taken them years to acheve.
Pros
Personal growth.
Cons
No pay in school holidays and not knowing if you have a job after each term.