Department of Communications Employee Reviews

Important work that is undervalued
Professor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 September 2018
No job security, low pay, good professional development opportunities, but for what? It's impossible to get full time or advance. We need public investment back into post secondary, and to stop giving raises to school admins while the educators are getting less and less.
hard working and Productive
DEPUTY DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Hatfield, Gauteng4 July 2018
Put work to action each day i arrive at my work and keep note of what to follow the next day that will eventually lead to to a productive performance and desirable
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Normal hours
Highly motivating and always had a scope for exhibiting skills to take initiatives
Manager Operations (Head of Communications) (Former Employee) –  Hyderabad, India27 June 2018
The Citizens Hospitals, always gave me an opportunity to spearhead the Projects and extended the support in participating and voicing out on all the key decisions. I was able to accomplish various projects with the due support from the Management. Lead the Team successfully during NABH external with not even a single Non Compliance. Its been a highly energizing and motivating to work with Co-peers and with the Leaders of the Organization. Always had the opportunity to do the daily analyses on the process performance and scope for betterment with the feedback from the Patients. The Transparency has always been maintained and the doors were always kept open for a healthy discussion at all the levels of the organization. The best part of the day used to be during the Morning meeting, where every HOD would get to present the previous days performance nos and also to talk about the hickups faced and the measures taken to improve the process.
Pros
Free Doctor's consultation for an employee, 50% of on all the investigation charges, Less charges for availing Canteen Food.
Cons
Long Distance to Travel.
Communication Policy Formulator
Acting Chief Financial Officer (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng12 March 2018
1. As new department one had to design afresh a system of internal control.
2. Ensured that all the necessary financial management policies were in place.
3. Facilitated procurement of goods services, and payment for such after delivery.
4. Prepared annual financial statements
Undergrad Researcher
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Davis, CA9 February 2018
Work is pretty low stress, you can work the hours that you'd like. I learned a lot in regards to what I'd like to continue in, as your tasks are customisable.
Productive place and exciting
Chief Director (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng11 May 2017
Prepare and facilitated the bilateral and multilateral meetings between the Minister and the State Owned Enterprises. Review of the Corporate Governance Tools and Instroments. Review of the Budget and Perfromance of SOCs. Review of the Strategic and Corporate Plans. Provide Management and Leadership to the Chief Directorate
Pros
Exicting place
Cons
It was fun to put into practice editing skills with my supervisor
Communications Assistant (Work Experience) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham17 November 2016
A typical day at work began by login into my designated computer to do the day's assignments and then followed immediately by cups of tea

My Work Experience was too short as there was not much going on at the department to be reported on in the news@QEHB magazine. I joined when the quarterly reports had already gone for publishing.

However, the manager and staff were so helpful when my supervisor was absent at times to see me through what I would call my shortest Work Experience.
Pros
I enjoyed working on the stories, especially how to make them longer or shorter.
Cons
I feel didn't have much time with my supervisor as he was more of a freelancing journalist.
contract for a month
Data Capturer (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng29 August 2016
enjoyed data capturing and sorting of files, admin experience, management reliable,co-workers friendly and helpful. everything went smoothly, translation
Pros
free lunches
Cons
contract
Overall productivity
IT Support Trainee (Former Employee) –  Free State18 July 2016
I was placed at Kopanong Secondary School where I had to teach learners and other teachers computer. It taught me patience and how to interact with other people. Me teaching them basics of a computer lasted only a month. After a month, the principal decided to stop those classes. The hardest part of that job was getting learners to calm down and make them understand. The most enjoyable part was seeing the excitement on their faces when they learn things they didn't know.
Pros
Trips to entertainment parks
Cons
Not doing anything after that one month
Building teamwork and learning to work with others
Vice President of Finance and Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 April 2016
This was a volunteer position within my department at the University of Ottawa. I would organize the books, deposit money when need be and created a receipt system still used today.
I learned a lot of organizational skills from this position and how to work in an environment where people do not get along. The management was strong but the cohesiveness between all members of the executive team was lacking.
I worked with a great group of people and the hardest part of the job was trying to get everyone to focus on tasks at hand and have things submitted on time. We all worked differently and it was difficult to coordinate.
I loved helping out with the department and having a say in what the students experienced when they arrived there.
It was great to work there because of the enviroment..
Laborer Foreman (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, AL26 January 2016
Good work place to work because of the front office. They was awesome to work for. The supervisor always polite and good to the employees. They work with you even if its not containing at the work place.
Pros
Enjoyed working with the people there.
Cons
Health Insurance
I worked for the department for 8years on contract basis,they always renew my contract until the Institute was closed.
Procurement Offcer (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, WC14 July 2015
I enjoyed my job meeting and dealing with suppliers every day.I managed the Supply Chain Unit with confidence as I was advising and telling all the managers in line on what to do and what not to do.I supervised and trained my co-workers on how to manage procurement effectively and efficiently.The hardest part of my job was when I dont meet my suppliers needs,at times their payment will delay due to procurement procedures.Suppliers hated the changes on procedures so I have to be patient with them.
Pros
team buildings, gifts on important dates
Cons
location
Productive environment for discussing marketing strategies.
Web Maintenance Assistant (Current Employee) –  University of Victoria2 February 2015
Great environment with friendly support from various staff members. Productive place to expand on ideas and develop communication methods.
Our clients are happy because I am paying them on time for services rendered to the department.
ADMINISTRATION OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, GP3 July 2014
My typical day at work is a busy and hectic one

I have learned Inter-personal and Communication skills
Verbal Communication
Non-Verbal Communication
Listening Skills
Negotiation
Problem Solving

I have developed a strong professional relationships with my boss. He is a great and is able to see beyond his current situation and see the big picture.

We work as a teamwork, we are all active , they communicate in a manner that is understandable by everyone , They have great interpersonal skills.

The hardest part of my work is getting invoices signed by responsibility managers of different cost centers, especially from Ministry's Office.

The most enjoyable part of my work is processing payments on the system.
Pros
Studying through busaries from the employer
Cons
Working even at home
great job
Student Government USF (Former Employee) –  Tampa24 June 2014
loved the job, happy I got involved, will do it every time, its all you peers mainly people you dont see on a very day basis, you learn so much about them and the culture of the school

find out where your money goes SG the best place to find that out
Great department, great chair
DIRECTOR OF FORENSICS/ASSISTANT PROFESSOR (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TN23 April 2014
This is a great department to work for. The staff is friendly and supportive.
Good School
Mass Media Intern (Former Employee) –  Akron, OH18 February 2014
WZIP is the best place to get good experence at the U of A that's about all I have to say about this place
Productive, equipped, fun workplace
Intern : Media Relations & Communications (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, GP25 November 2013
I have been fortunate to have my first flight experience in this organisation.

I received a lot of mentoring from executives, which helped me built a thick skin.

Exposure to internal and external events, branding, advertising Liaising with media as well as repoting & writing.

Fun memorable experience
Pros
Lots of training and skills development programmes
Cons
Internship ends : No guarantee of placement
i am a hrd working person with goodwill and loyality
Fleet manager (Former Employee) –  Hatfield, GP27 June 2013
i am lookimg for a challenge,to learn other things in other environment.
I also work hard for the benefit for a acompany
I work extra miles in most cases as transport is the most challenging field
i got good relationship with all employees.
I do communicate with other people to learn more in flett.
I enjoy fleet management because it is a daily thing tools in many companies and it makes the company to deliver their mandate without any delay
I got good management team that help me to gain knowledge iat all times,i ussually attend transport semina realted courses
Pros
workshops
Cons
long hours, overtime
Productive Work at Co-op Placemen
Worker Wednesday (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 April 2013
Where I used to work was a co-op placement and it teached me to be concise with information as well as connecting with my peers. The job has taught me to be less shy when working with my co-workers and to be comfortable making collect calls.
Pros
free coffee and timbits
Cons
long interview files