Department of Communities and Justice

9: Department of Communities and Justice Employee Reviews

Australia9 reviews

3.3Work–Life Balance

Great job but difficult and stressful

Though training would be provided, it's about learning on the job. Working with offenders could be sometimes easy but usually challenging as they are mostly full of negativity and abusive behavior. Being empathetic but assertive is the key and identifying inmate's risks is pivotal. Huge workloads due to high crimes and existing staff are burnt out, so they need more staff but not many would prefer to work in this stressful job. Work-life balance is another issue which many would be disappointed after getting into the job. Still many enjoy this job, especially women. Change in policies and protocols are constant, hence it's constant learning. Having a supportive Unit Leader and Manager is luck. Writing reports is another big challenge. Recommended for those who have a strong attitude to withstand any negativity and determination to clear the assessments while managing a huge caseload. First-year assessments in the job will be grueling and too hard on many people. Self-care very important.

Pros

Great team members, training and resources to work

Cons

Impossible deadlines, lots of unnecessary reports, self-care is impossible

I went through my interview back in 2019. & my experience of working with the department was a very toxic environment. If you have good values and integrity and honesty it's certainly not a place that encourages growth and recognition if you have real morals and values. They will only recognise those who are bent and corrupt like themselves...I would never go back there after experiences how they operate

Pros

Flex days 2 a month if you have worked over 140 hr a month.

Cons

Application tampering jeprodising your chances to move, annual leave loading doesn't exist with each leave application, High tax = less pay, No professionalism, very toxic environment

Community Corrections jobs - Highly stressful, affects mental health

Community Corrections has two types - either work in a suburb office where offenders report or in prison working with inmates. Always deal with crimes and the negative attitude of offenders. Not recommended for people who want to stay positive and balance their family life effectively. It will affect mental health pretty quickly, hence self-care is very important, or else leave the job. Managing a difficult caseload and completing assessments (Cert IV) with quality is impossible. Time management and organizational skills are crucial, but it's too hard to be on top of everything. Some managers and team members were supportive and it's about learning on the job. Initially would feel proud about keeping the community safe but soon that would vanish when you come across many challenging offenders' behaviors who are self-entitled and knows many loopholes.

Pros

Great training at Academy, supportive resources

Cons

Impossible targets / deadlines, lack of work-life balance, deal with huge negativity

Productive and proactive

A typical day at work is to expect the unexpected. An employee can have their day mapped out and at any time throughout the day, there is a distraction that takes away from the plan and throws the day into chaos. Through this I have gained excellent time management skills, and have come to the conclusion that I am only human and can only do so much in one day. The hardest part of the job is when you pull out all the stops to get a task completed as a matter of urgency and it is deemed no longer required. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a great outcome for the clients come into fruition.

Pros

Good life/work balance

Cons

Increased workload due to insufficient staff and resources

Most Disturbing and Unpleasant Working Experience

Limited to no job training, most employees are thrown in head first. No consistency or schedule to training requirements. Victimization and bullying of many employees. Workplace culture is poor, no team environment, workplace is divided (very clicky). Management is poor, dismissive, displaying inconsistency and genuine lack of support to some employees. Unethical behavior displayed by senior members of staff. Limited chance of career progression.

Great committed team

I enjoyed the time I spent there and felt I made a valuable contribution. I especially enjoyed getting to know my colleagues there and getting a well-rounded picture of government services.

No Duty of care

DCJ hired so many workers for ongoing casuals. we were trained in so many products, and they kept extending our contracts until one day, they just decided to lay off all the contractors over night.

Fantastic team

Great learning and professional development opportunities.I always feel supported by management. Diverse work nature which make it interesting and challenging . Freedom to be creative and brainstorm new ideas with team members.

Housing Contact Centre

Working at the housing contact centre can repeat itself at times. Overall it is a good environment and when busy really interesting. Sometimes there a huge wait times between calls but it gives you a breather. I prefer processing applications

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Communities and Justice. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Department of Communities and Justice with