Department of Communities
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
View all Department of Communities reviews

Department of Communities

Department of Communities Employee Review

No comment

I wouldn’t bother it is not a professional caring environment Regular burn out of staff, unfair recruitment processes, unprofessional behaviour is not addressed

Top heavy organisation

Extremely disappointed working under multiple levels of tired and resentful middle management holding onto permanent positions awaiting retirement. Corporate restructure saw respected, well educated and experienced staff lost to voluntary redundancies and positions safest within lower management held by those most willing to cut meagre budgets, force redundancies and merge teams. Following mothers death, received phone call from disengaged program manager to be told that two days are granted as paid bereavement leave but any more time taken will require an application to receive unpaid leave. Returned to dying bunch of petrol station flowers on desk.

Pros

Fantastic colleagues

Cons

Toxic workplace lacking leadership

Poorly Managed Branch within Dept of Communities

I worked for ECRU which was a department within Communities. The culture was terrible and one of the worse places I have ever worked. Everyone who started the same time as me, none of us are left. One example is the perks of working in government is flexitime. Here, you were not allowed to accrue it and they kept using 'operational' which it isn't to make people work at certain times. Lights went out at 5pm and you were questioned if still working, they made it clear it was not acceptable and you had to leave.

Pros

Made some good friends from the group I started with.

Cons

Once you were a 'marked' person staff would not help with your learning.

Great team support and challenging environment

The DoC has experienced some unprecedented changes over the past four years. Many of those changes were decided at ground level where brainstorming and solutions were generated. The work culture is very inclusive and while everyone has their role, input and ideas are appreciated at all levels. The work is challenging but there is also a lot of support and innovations which makes the workplace interesting and brings good changes and ideas.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Communities. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Department of Communities