Department of Communities

48: Department of Communities Employee Reviews

Australia48 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Very competitive

It was very complex and very interesting applications, but the Business Analysts were very helpful. Documentation was adequate for the New CR's but the existing systems had no documentations, made it hard to understand the current systems.

Great start to career in human services

Great training. Lots of learning, plenty of supervsion and support. Leaders assist you in growing into confident practitionerwith lots of knowledge prior to leaving

Pros

Great career advancement

Cons

Toxic work environment. Zero job security. No support or training.

Toxic work environment. If you don’t fit the mould they will kick you to the curb. No training provided, no performance improvement opportunities. HR is useless and zero job security. Every 1-2 years if you are on contract you have to reapply and hope you get an interview and hope you get chosen if you are already in the role. Very short term contracts offered, some only a few weeks. I was on contract for 5 years and never offered permanency.

Pros

Good pay, annual leave and sick leave. Can climb the ladder.

Cons

Toxic work environment no matter which office, I worked at 4 offices within the Department and I was told I needed therapy instead of support, I was called unintelligent, I have a boy brain, I needed a bouncy ball to keep myself entertained at work and I am ret**d apparently, HR does nothing, no training provided, you are thrown in the deep end.

toxic culture, bullying by management and unsupportive HR. fraudulent activity.

loved the work. intended to retire in job. left due to management behaviour - particularly regional manager and his team. HR witnessed but would not acknowledge.

Pros

the work was very rewarding

Cons

toxic culture

Top heavy organisation

Extremely disappointed working under multiple levels of tired and resentful middle management holding onto permanent positions awaiting retirement. Corporate restructure saw respected, well educated and experienced staff lost to voluntary redundancies and positions safest within lower management held by those most willing to cut meagre budgets, force redundancies and merge teams. Following mothers death, received phone call from disengaged program manager to be told that two days are granted as paid bereavement leave but any more time taken will require an application to receive unpaid leave. Returned to dying bunch of petrol station flowers on desk.

Pros

Fantastic colleagues

Cons

Toxic workplace lacking leadership

Poorly Managed Branch within Dept of Communities

I worked for ECRU which was a department within Communities. The culture was terrible and one of the worse places I have ever worked. Everyone who started the same time as me, none of us are left. One example is the perks of working in government is flexitime. Here, you were not allowed to accrue it and they kept using 'operational' which it isn't to make people work at certain times. Lights went out at 5pm and you were questioned if still working, they made it clear it was not acceptable and you had to leave.

Pros

Made some good friends from the group I started with.

Cons

Once you were a 'marked' person staff would not help with your learning.

No comment

I wouldn’t bother it is not a professional caring environment Regular burn out of staff, unfair recruitment processes, unprofessional behaviour is not addressed

Great team support and challenging environment

The DoC has experienced some unprecedented changes over the past four years. Many of those changes were decided at ground level where brainstorming and solutions were generated. The work culture is very inclusive and while everyone has their role, input and ideas are appreciated at all levels. The work is challenging but there is also a lot of support and innovations which makes the workplace interesting and brings good changes and ideas.

alright

Depending on the roles you are in, there are some very supportive supervisors and mentors whilst not so the case in other positions. A majority, the workers are efficient and friendly.

Terrible Experience

Due to management this was one of the worst jobs clients are awesome just further up the food chain are unprofessional and co workers most are fighting for their jobs and hours making them back stabbers and liars

Being able to make a differnce

Working with the Household Resilience Program meant that I helped make a difference to the lives of low income earners in Cyclone affected areas of QLD

Too many cases with not enough staffing

Managing staff Court matters Care plan meetings Reunification meetings Team meetings Multi-agency meetings Supervision with Staff Managing placement breakdowns

Pros

Supportive team leaders as colleagues

Cons

Staff burn out

good and challenging and innovative place to work.

good and challenging and innovative place to work. supportive culture. However, NDIS impacts caused recruitment problems for non affected persons wanting to apply.

Pros

Challenging interesting work

Cons

NDIS impacts on staffing

Going through major restruture

This department is undergoing major transformational change, downsizing and disruption. Department is struggling to find it's purpose / direction during this change.

Great culture, friendly staff and good work-life balance. Management listens to advice and acceptable to change. Hardest part of the job is when some end-users require additional support which can take almost an hour to guide them on the phone. But overall I totally enjoyed working there and help where I can.

Pros

Friendly staff and good work-life balance.

Good pay, poor workplace

The pay/salary/benefits were very good as it was a qualified position, but the work/life balance required for the job was very taxing. In addition, management were difficult to contact and deal with, nepotism was rife, and the work was demanding in every possible way. Not for the faint of heart.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

nepotism, soul crushing work

Many great achievements as a project specific contractor

Reasonable working conditions among people who are committed to producing significant results in an environment that is driven largely by political context.

Great work place

Workplace in cairns, Australia. This was working for the Government and requires relevant university degree (social work, psychology etc). management was fantastic.

Challeging and rewarding place to work

Working within government can be challenging; however the reward of helping people within the WA community and seeing tangible changes is very satisfying

Pros

working with a variety of stakeholders

Cons

Government red tape

Complex, rewarding work that stretches my skills to their limits and beyond into new learnings very often.

An excellent department provides important social services to people with disabilities and children at risk. Offers various roles, a service-oriented philosophy and interesting client base. Offers opportunities to negotiate favourable client outcomes, work collaboratively in trans-disciplinary teams and form partnerships with other services.

Pros

Work I love.

Cons

Disability Services division of my org will cease in July 2018, and its functions will be provided by the NDIS.

A friendly atmosphere and great people to work with.

Good all round place to work. Every day is always different especially when an event is on. It can be a fast paced environment during a disaster which is very rewarding.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Communities. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Department of Communities with