Department of Communities
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Department of Communities Employee Reviews in Perth WA

3.5Work–Life Balance

Challeging and rewarding place to work

Working within government can be challenging; however the reward of helping people within the WA community and seeing tangible changes is very satisfying

Pros

working with a variety of stakeholders

Cons

Government red tape

Top heavy organisation

Extremely disappointed working under multiple levels of tired and resentful middle management holding onto permanent positions awaiting retirement. Corporate restructure saw respected, well educated and experienced staff lost to voluntary redundancies and positions safest within lower management held by those most willing to cut meagre budgets, force redundancies and merge teams. Following mothers death, received phone call from disengaged program manager to be told that two days are granted as paid bereavement leave but any more time taken will require an application to receive unpaid leave. Returned to dying bunch of petrol station flowers on desk.

Pros

Fantastic colleagues

Cons

Toxic workplace lacking leadership

Poorly Managed Branch within Dept of Communities

I worked for ECRU which was a department within Communities. The culture was terrible and one of the worse places I have ever worked. Everyone who started the same time as me, none of us are left. One example is the perks of working in government is flexitime. Here, you were not allowed to accrue it and they kept using 'operational' which it isn't to make people work at certain times. Lights went out at 5pm and you were questioned if still working, they made it clear it was not acceptable and you had to leave.

Pros

Made some good friends from the group I started with.

Cons

Once you were a 'marked' person staff would not help with your learning.

Great culture, friendly staff and good work-life balance. Management listens to advice and acceptable to change. Hardest part of the job is when some end-users require additional support which can take almost an hour to guide them on the phone. But overall I totally enjoyed working there and help where I can.

Pros

Friendly staff and good work-life balance.

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Communities. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Department of Communities
  • Perth WA
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?