Department of Communities
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Department of Communities Employee Reviews for Home Care Worker

3.5Work–Life Balance

Good group of people to support and helpful fellow workers.

The people i supported were great fun. Every day was different and sometimes challenging. This was all part of the overall enjoyment of the job.the most enjoyable part of the day was anytime when everyone was contented,happy or doing things they liked doing.The hardest part was trying to work out where the behaviours were coming from.My co-workers were generally helpful and supportive.

Pros

going home knowing my support helped the people i was supporting.

Cons

not enough hours

Terrible Experience

Due to management this was one of the worst jobs clients are awesome just further up the food chain are unprofessional and co workers most are fighting for their jobs and hours making them back stabbers and liars

Good pay, poor workplace

The pay/salary/benefits were very good as it was a qualified position, but the work/life balance required for the job was very taxing. In addition, management were difficult to contact and deal with, nepotism was rife, and the work was demanding in every possible way. Not for the faint of heart.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

nepotism, soul crushing work

Any requirements that has been implemented for service user, and follow in accordance with work place standards of the clients and organisation.

I support the strategic directions of the Department of communities/ Disability service using meaningful and engaged participation at Team meetings. Throughout these meetings I assist my team and managers by creating workable and beneficial programs for service users and put into action the agreed upon measures set out through these discussions.When programs and procedures require change within the current service centre, Or house I work in, I feel I am more than capable of adapting my own skill sets in order to accommodate and meet these changes. An example of this would be the implementation of the Active support Program to assist with each and every service user. I understand the needs and requirements of each service user, I maintain a positive and respectful attitude towards my fellow team members and I conduct myself professionally both inside and outside, as well when in the community, As I still work with Department of Communities I have updated training, with Fisrt Ais CPR and all aspects of care with Disability Clients, I have a good understanding with policies and procedures, work place health and safety, I feel I am an asset as I am use to 12 hour shifts night/ day or any fill in shifts when specialist appointments are made.

Pros

Usually follow set menue plans

Cons

I am use to 12 hour shifts, day or night, weekends or oncall.

Working with people with a Disability was rewarding

The work environment broke down due to in-fighting on all levels. The Department I worked with has been hallmarked for dissolution

Pros

Rewarding working with people with a disability

Cons

Too political

easy place to work

good people had a great time working there and learned a lot while working there.

Pros

fun place to be

Cons

repative duties

Residential Care work

As a Residential Care Officer, I support up to 5 people with various disabilities, which includes challenging behaviours. A typical day at work is organising activities, personal care, preparing meals, caring for the clients finances, banking, shopping, and generally keeping to a duties roster. It also includes working with support and having good team skills.I have learnt the policies and procedures of the department and how to search out information in client files. I have learned to support management in planning and keeping up to date files.The hardest part of the job is time management although I do well with it, but at times, learning to prioritise is very important.The clients are enjoyable to work with and supporting them to learn new skills and empowering them to live a more self sufficient life is rewardable.

Pros

casual and on call with a view for permanency.

Cons

as a casual, not knowing when the next shift is.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Communities. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Department of Communities