Department of Communities
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Department of Communities Culture reviews

Clear
3.5Work–Life Balance

alright

Depending on the roles you are in, there are some very supportive supervisors and mentors whilst not so the case in other positions. A majority, the workers are efficient and friendly.

Poorly Managed Branch within Dept of Communities

I worked for ECRU which was a department within Communities. The culture was terrible and one of the worse places I have ever worked. Everyone who started the same time as me, none of us are left. One example is the perks of working in government is flexitime. Here, you were not allowed to accrue it and they kept using 'operational' which it isn't to make people work at certain times. Lights went out at 5pm and you were questioned if still working, they made it clear it was not acceptable and you had to leave.

Pros

Made some good friends from the group I started with.

Cons

Once you were a 'marked' person staff would not help with your learning.

Great team support and challenging environment

The DoC has experienced some unprecedented changes over the past four years. Many of those changes were decided at ground level where brainstorming and solutions were generated. The work culture is very inclusive and while everyone has their role, input and ideas are appreciated at all levels. The work is challenging but there is also a lot of support and innovations which makes the workplace interesting and brings good changes and ideas.

Too many cases with not enough staffing

Managing staff Court matters Care plan meetings Reunification meetings Team meetings Multi-agency meetings Supervision with Staff Managing placement breakdowns

Pros

Supportive team leaders as colleagues

Cons

Staff burn out

good and challenging and innovative place to work.

good and challenging and innovative place to work. supportive culture. However, NDIS impacts caused recruitment problems for non affected persons wanting to apply.

Pros

Challenging interesting work

Cons

NDIS impacts on staffing

Great culture, friendly staff and good work-life balance. Management listens to advice and acceptable to change. Hardest part of the job is when some end-users require additional support which can take almost an hour to guide them on the phone. But overall I totally enjoyed working there and help where I can.

Pros

Friendly staff and good work-life balance.

Cons

Fast faced environment, requires me to be flexible, adoptability and agility.

Fast faced environment, requires me to be flexible, adaptability and agility. Good team leaders, enjoy the challenges of my role, enjoy working with the operations manager.

Pros

Good team leaders, enjoy the challenges, enjoy working with the operations manager, everyone help each other within my team.

Cons

short-term contract

Good group of people to support and helpful fellow workers.

The people i supported were great fun. Every day was different and sometimes challenging. This was all part of the overall enjoyment of the job.the most enjoyable part of the day was anytime when everyone was contented,happy or doing things they liked doing.The hardest part was trying to work out where the behaviours were coming from.My co-workers were generally helpful and supportive.

Pros

going home knowing my support helped the people i was supporting.

Cons

not enough hours

Enjoyed job, great team

Team leader was fair and very supportive, Great place for continuous learning and was lucky to be part of a very productive team

Great place to work with good team members. Flexible and friendly environment.

I get motivated working with good team members. They were fun to work with. I learned a lot working with them and they with me. Hard work became easier as a team. I enjoyed planning and coordinating the catering for team meeting.

Assist Regional Directors and Senior Officers all round administration support

Friendly and supportive staff Manage electronic diaries for senior staff report on financial and human resource positions against the supplied budget for each team.

easy place to work

good people had a great time working there and learned a lot while working there.

Pros

fun place to be

Cons

repative duties

A rewarding place to work, knowing you have made a difference to someones life.

A typical day started with checking mailboxes, processing and acquitting expenditure against client individual service plans. Updating data in the relevant data bases and advising management of the progress.I learned different skills each day and more effective and time efficient ways of performing tasks.Management were always there to support and advise staff. They were easy to approach if there was a problem.My co-workers were one of the most enjoyable parts of the job and we all worked together as a successful team in a busy environment, always getting our work done within the tight time-frames.My co-workers made it a more pleasurable environment to work.The hardest part of the job was knowing there was only a certain amount of funding to help so many needy people in the community.

Pros

work/life balance, very family oriented

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Communities. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Department of Communities
  • Culture
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?