Department of Communities
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Department of Communities Management reviews

Clear
3.5Work–Life Balance

Could be great if the middle management would allow others to do their job without too much interfering

The clients were great, the carers were great but middle management were a pain in the side of anyone wanting to do better, Top management was fantastic but stuck with fools to work with.

Top heavy organisation

Extremely disappointed working under multiple levels of tired and resentful middle management holding onto permanent positions awaiting retirement. Corporate restructure saw respected, well educated and experienced staff lost to voluntary redundancies and positions safest within lower management held by those most willing to cut meagre budgets, force redundancies and merge teams. Following mothers death, received phone call from disengaged program manager to be told that two days are granted as paid bereavement leave but any more time taken will require an application to receive unpaid leave. Returned to dying bunch of petrol station flowers on desk.

Pros

Fantastic colleagues

Cons

Toxic workplace lacking leadership

No comment

I wouldn’t bother it is not a professional caring environment Regular burn out of staff, unfair recruitment processes, unprofessional behaviour is not addressed

Terrible Experience

Due to management this was one of the worst jobs clients are awesome just further up the food chain are unprofessional and co workers most are fighting for their jobs and hours making them back stabbers and liars

Going through major restruture

This department is undergoing major transformational change, downsizing and disruption. Department is struggling to find it's purpose / direction during this change.

Great culture, friendly staff and good work-life balance. Management listens to advice and acceptable to change. Hardest part of the job is when some end-users require additional support which can take almost an hour to guide them on the phone. But overall I totally enjoyed working there and help where I can.

Pros

Friendly staff and good work-life balance.

Good pay, poor workplace

The pay/salary/benefits were very good as it was a qualified position, but the work/life balance required for the job was very taxing. In addition, management were difficult to contact and deal with, nepotism was rife, and the work was demanding in every possible way. Not for the faint of heart.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

nepotism, soul crushing work

Many great achievements as a project specific contractor

Reasonable working conditions among people who are committed to producing significant results in an environment that is driven largely by political context.

Great work place

Workplace in cairns, Australia. This was working for the Government and requires relevant university degree (social work, psychology etc). management was fantastic.

Diversional Therapy for adults with intellectual disability

A fantastic job. A fantastic team. Rostering clients on a daily, weekly, fortnightly or monthly basis to ensure they had quality of life. Going out for lunches, swimming, visiting family, bowling and many other activities were on offer for each client. None of the clients could look after themselves for more than an hour or so, so it was rewarding to be able to organize an activity they enjoyed and let them go do it on their own, with the least amount of supervision required.

Pros

Working in a team with like mindedness

Cons

Dealing with management

N/a

it was busy. i learned a lot especially working with a different range of clients. I got along well with my co-workers including management. having to make hard decisions or being left out of the decision making process. Getting to do different things everyday and always working with different people that includes clients and stakeholders.

Productive and fun place to work

Work with a committed team of professionals in providing intake, assessment, case management and coordination of services.

Pros

Flexible Working Hours

Cons

N.A.

Working with people with a Disability was rewarding

The work environment broke down due to in-fighting on all levels. The Department I worked with has been hallmarked for dissolution

Pros

Rewarding working with people with a disability

Cons

Too political

Different work locations, great to work for, friendly & helpful staff

My role was to train staff to enter information on the data base for disaster recovery, once this was completed I then went on to the role of Client Liaison Officer to assist clients with their needs. I employed staff from the local Labour Hire company's and always had plenty of assistance & support from Management. The hardest part of the job was leaving once my contract was completed. The most enjoyable part of the job was "The Job".

Pros

Working in different locations in QLD

Cons

Not a permanent position, Contract only.

A rewarding place to work, knowing you have made a difference to someones life.

A typical day started with checking mailboxes, processing and acquitting expenditure against client individual service plans. Updating data in the relevant data bases and advising management of the progress.I learned different skills each day and more effective and time efficient ways of performing tasks.Management were always there to support and advise staff. They were easy to approach if there was a problem.My co-workers were one of the most enjoyable parts of the job and we all worked together as a successful team in a busy environment, always getting our work done within the tight time-frames.My co-workers made it a more pleasurable environment to work.The hardest part of the job was knowing there was only a certain amount of funding to help so many needy people in the community.

Pros

work/life balance, very family oriented

Residential Care work

As a Residential Care Officer, I support up to 5 people with various disabilities, which includes challenging behaviours. A typical day at work is organising activities, personal care, preparing meals, caring for the clients finances, banking, shopping, and generally keeping to a duties roster. It also includes working with support and having good team skills.I have learnt the policies and procedures of the department and how to search out information in client files. I have learned to support management in planning and keeping up to date files.The hardest part of the job is time management although I do well with it, but at times, learning to prioritise is very important.The clients are enjoyable to work with and supporting them to learn new skills and empowering them to live a more self sufficient life is rewardable.

Pros

casual and on call with a view for permanency.

Cons

as a casual, not knowing when the next shift is.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Communities. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Department of Communities