Department of Education and Training Employee Reviews

STEM and virtual learning programs promotion
Project Officer, virtual learning STEM program (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC2 May 2019
Virtual learning will have a HUGE impact on education. It success will depend on the quality of the execution, the buy-in of senior educators such as Principals and the measurements of it's implementation.
Pros
Building relationships with school Principals and senior DET staff
Cons
funding ceased
Bullying from people in management positions.
Early childhood officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD23 April 2019
Worked here for numerous years and really enjoyed the positions u had held until recent years with the previous 3 managers who pressured, bullied, belittled not only me but it her colleagues.
Left with a feeling of incompetence and really struggling to see my worth. Has really affected my confidence levels.
Pros
Salary, workung with the community and sector
Enjoyable work enviroment
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Burleigh Waters QLD25 February 2019
Continually enhancing your learning
Positive working environment
Supportive staff and management
Ongoing staff development programs
Opportunities to progress in your chosen field
Pros
Rooster hours to have more holiday time
Lovely working environment
Administration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Penrith NSW17 February 2019
Watching the children learn, with a hands on environment was most rewarding and enjoyable.

The staff was very professional, everyone put in a 110% which made the working environment lovely.
Very much into micro managing investigators
Senior Fraud Investigator (Former Employee) –  Australian Capital Territory6 January 2019
Unprofessional behaviours of section Directors, unable to provide clear direction, does not want to deal with unacceptable behaviour, has certain favourites within the area
Pros
Interesting work, my team was good to work with.
Cons
Unprofessional behaviours of the section Directors
Department of Education
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Queensland1 January 2019
I have enjoyed the variety of travelling to different schools this is sometimes the hardest part of this position. As I have had to follow maps and use new roads but I have rose to the challenge.
Thrilling and fun workplace
Trainee Swim Teacher (Former Employee) –  Perth WA1 November 2018
Thrilling and fun workplace. They are friendly staff members who trained and guided me to be an excellent teacher and encouraged me to strive and endeavour.
Slso
Teachers Aide Special (Current Employee) –  Mount Druitt NSW29 October 2018
my days vary from student to student and the workings inside a high school, I love the challenges face and love working as a team.

Different faculties require different needs, maths numeracy, cooking patience and science skills.
Pros
hours
Cons
no overtime available
Great chance for experience
Swimming Instructor (Current Employee) –  Busselton WA15 October 2018
I've worked with the Ed dept for four years now, it is an awesome opportunity to become competent with working with children if you aim to have a career in that sector.
Depends on your employment status
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Ettalong Beach NSW3 August 2018
Permanent staff are treated much different to temps. As a temp you are used and abused. If you don't like it, you are kicked out. Permanents get all the perks. Good for them.
Pros
its a job
Cons
treated worse than rubbish
Positive, inclusive work environment
Teacher-Aide (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD24 July 2018
I love the aspect of helping people. always a busy work day, always something to do or someone to help. Great people to work with, very inclusive management. I've learned to communicate with people of all ages and abilities and my overall people and computer skills have improved greatly.
Pros
great hours and location
Cons
low pay for effort
well balanced working conditions between workers, management and teachers.
Cleaner - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD17 June 2018
Every year did different certificates and improved courses to improve our level of working skills. I had a very good relationship with the management and the other workers. I enjoyed my time working there and really didn't want to leave. They announced to the whole school assembly that I was finishing up and thanked me for the great work I hap accomplished while there. I loved my work and did the best job I could do for them. I enjoyed the connection that I had with the teaching staff, the workers, the management and the well-mannered children which made it a pleasure to come to work each day. I just loved the job and found all aspects of it enjoyable.
Rewarding and challenging environment
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC4 June 2018
At the school level, teachers are supported by their principal and colleagues.
Work is mentally and physically very challenging, but working with children is extremely rewarding.
The hours both at school and out of school hours are long.
A job I thoughroly enjoyed for 43 years.
Pros
security of employment, the staff, the children
Cons
beauracracy
an opportunity to showcase your teaching and class management skills.
Relief Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brisbane South QLD9 February 2018
everyday one faces a diverse lot of students, diverse in their cultural backgrounds,learning abilities,personal traits,social etiquette,family values,skills etc.But once you are there in the class you automatically summon your skills that sometimes you are unaware of and dive into the unknown, the plan for the day, ready to teach impromptu. Well, it is challenging yet at the end of every lesson there is sense of achievement,a sense the children have accepted you as their teacher for a specified hours,they have tried their best to learn from you.You have done your best , put up with not so good behaviour, appreciated motivated learners, and at the end of the day tried to remember their names- addressing the students by their name is in fact opening the doors to wonderful possibilities during the day.
Pros
work hours
Cons
unmanageable students
Being a teacher is not respected
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hoppers Crossing VIC31 January 2018
Wanting to be a teacher in the class room and not wanting to be a lKLA Leader or Co-Ordinator was not respected. I love teaching. Being in the classroom was my dream job but I was made to feel less important as I didn’t want a leadership role. Schools were becoming businesses not places of education.
Pros
Great staff. Educating children. Giving them opportunities.
Cons
Overload of work. Too much pressure to be a leader.
Relaxed environment and good work/life balance
Senior Analyst Programmer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC11 September 2017
Mostly busy days but not accompanied by micromanagement.

Flexible hours to accommodate for kids' activities outside of work.

Fantastic location next to Treasury Gardens and just a short walk to Parliament Station.
Pros
Proximity to station and parks
Cons
Dated furniture
Outstanding employer.
Participation Coordinator / Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Western Australia14 May 2017
Offers a variety of highly rewarding career opportunities across education and training sector. Attractive remuneration packages, supportive work culture.
Pros
Attractive remuneration packages, supportive work culture. Highly professional in every area.
Cons
N/a
Loved making a difference
Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD9 May 2017
I enjoyed working with children trying to help them bring out the best in themselves. I also enjoyed working with a disabled child and being able to bring a smile to his face most days.
Pros
Good hours
Workplace
Virtual Learning Project Officer (Current Employee) –  Horsham VIC4 May 2017
Being a State Government Department, there are many various employment opportunities and different roles that are available. Management structures vary across regions and across schools. Working within the Central Office structure is very politically driven and the challenge is to work within this structure to do best for education, schools and ultimately, kids.
Department of Education
Administrative officer (Temporary, full time) (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD3 May 2017
Queensland State Government department, has a positive attitude, supports staff, understands work/life balance to an appropriate level; encourages meaningful work relationships.
Pros
Flexibility, treated with respect
Cons
Navigating government red tape