Department of Education and Training
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Department of Education and Training Employee Reviews

Australia64 reviews
The work distribution was moderate between different team members. Processes followed are simpler and tasks are allocated appropriately. No formal induction processed followed.
The high number of school managers currently and going on stress leave is no surprise to me at all, now a victim myself.
Bullying, nepotism and corruption are all in a days work for a great senior manager out of schools in this system.
Pros
12 weeks holiday
Cons
Very well run organisation. Management is very supportive. Good work-life balance. Work flexibility. Goals are very clearly laid out. The immediate manager is very supportive and helpful.
Pros
Work-life balance. Flexibility. Management very supportive
Cons
Hierarchical and illogical. Be prepared for all the employer paperwork to erode all time for the actual job of teaching. They also promote bullies and then offer no support if you burnout from all the demands placed on you.
Worked business hours. Would take up to 20 calls on an average day. Management was extremely kind & generous in their understanding of personal problems.
Great environment, I enjoy working with students and seeing them achieve their life skills and being independant. Lots of team work and respecting everyone.
Teachers and aides are wonderful people to work with engaging with students every day is very rewarding as well as challenging! Everyone is a learner.
After working with the Department of Education 8 years, as ICT support and management, I can genuinely say the individuals running this organisation are out of touch, as I was recently let go from my former position as ICT management being informed that "I would be bored and I'm no longer required at the facility" Then having them advertise two ICT positions the next week.

At my former facility, I was bullied and ignored on decision making around ICT needs Including being pulled into the office multiple times and yelled at by the principal at the site for not meeting unrealistic targets that they would set, I was not included or informed of significant decisions happening around the environment by leadership and any form of the sense thus crippling our teams effectiveness, the facility that I worked out lost all three of there ICT team members in the space of a couple of weeks, including myself who had worked nine years, my support officer who had worked four years, and our line manager who had worked 25 years in ICT.

At the other facility operated at I was employed as an SSO ICT 1 for five years the facility did not keep any form of documentation or JnP on my position of contract, hello then after leaving the facility being informed a year after departure that I had been offered permanency at the former position but never told at the site.

This is just a few of my experiences working in the Department for Education. From my advice, if you're looking for career advancement, I would not look here as I've worked in the Department for nine years and stated in their very
 - more...
Varied duties, opportunities to upgrade skills and experience, friendly collaborative workforce, respectful and professional culture, and excellent work-life balance culture.
Enjoyed working at the department as I was in a team of great people. Everyone respected everyone's role and got on with the job as well as having fun.
So much accountability is placed on teachers these days i.e. we are are

not only expected to be supreme educators, but also psychologists/doctors/nurses/mentors/marriage counsellors. There is also

a high expectation of attendance to out of school hours activities e.g. camps/meetings/art shows/working bees/fetes/sporting programs.
i enjoy the variety of Relief Teaching, it offers the ability to teach from Prep to Year 12 and has broadened my Teaching skills. Through Relief Teaching I have been able to hone my Behavioural Management skills in Teaching.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the belief and support created by the managers. Second would be the challenge of working with young people and the range of presentations that could present in any working day.
I have learned and enjoyed working with the department of education. Great positive environment.It is challenging at times with students behaviors,which I have managed with support and collaboration amongst staff .
Working here does not provide equal pay for male/females. It requires total commitment to long unpaid hours both before and after school hours and during holidays. Parental expectations of being available are extremely high.
There are various roles within the DET. I held teaching roles across K-6, special education, RFF, library and casual or temporary teaching roles.

DET has great systems in place but I would like a temporary role to develop my maintenance accreditation.
Virtual learning will have a HUGE impact on education. It success will depend on the quality of the execution, the buy-in of senior educators such as Principals and the measurements of it's implementation.
Pros
Building relationships with school Principals and senior DET staff
Cons
funding ceased
Worked here for numerous years and really enjoyed the positions u had held until recent years with the previous 3 managers who pressured, bullied, belittled not only me but it her colleagues.
Left with a feeling of incompetence and really struggling to see my worth. Has really affected my confidence levels.
Pros
Salary, workung with the community and sector
Cons
I teach year 7, 8, 9 and 10 students in English. It is an absolutely amazing and rewarding job. Seeing your students learn and improve on their learning is why I decided to become a teacher.
Continually enhancing your learning
Positive working environment

Supportive staff and management

Ongoing staff development programs

Opportunities to progress in your chosen field
Pros
Rooster hours to have more holiday time
Watching the children learn, with a hands on environment was most rewarding and enjoyable.

The staff was very professional, everyone put in a 110% which made the working environment lovely.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Education and Training. Our community is ready to answer.