Department of Family and Community Services Employee Reviews

Flexible and Friendly work environment
Assistant Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool NSW25 March 2019
Recommended place to work , great place to gain skills. Great to assist people in need, great salary and work culture. Friendly work colleagues. Option for progression.
productive and enjoyable
Disability Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW30 January 2019
encounter friendly employees and employers. fun place to work you feel very supported in terms of work and life balancing. very much encourage applying for this job
Too much paperwork takes away from the job at hand.
Child Protection Case Worker (Current Employee) –  Fairfield NSW13 January 2019
A typical day at work consists of attaching documentation to the system and assessing clients situations. I have learned I am very resilient. Management is supportive to the workers, however sometimes make decisions not understanding how the caseworkers have been working with the families.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
too much paper wrok
A great place to work with convenient flexible hours
Server Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sydney Western Suburbs NSW21 June 2018
I loved working here as there was wide range of options and opportunities to learn new skills. The infrastructure was always up to date and management was very helpful in all respects.

Great working environment
Pros
Flexible hours, easy commute
Cons
Nothing I can think of
Now privatised
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tweed Heads & Sydney (remote) NSW8 May 2018
This was a great place to work, you actually felt like you did worthwhile work, although sometimes the hours were long and a very small group of the public could be very demanding, however most clients were great to work with, they understood the limitations and were flexible with their needs.

I enjoyed the work which was varied and the dept provided opportunities to work within various areas of this super department.

Having said that I was deeply disappointed when we were privatised as I consider that some of the functions undertaken by the dept are difficult to replicate in NGO.
Pros
Salary & conditions
Is a good place to work
Residential Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD19 April 2018
Management very professional. Good training. The workplace is like other companies, different people, different behaviours but considering the whole picture is good enough. Most of the workers have been there longer so there are a lot of professionalism and too much to learn.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Low rates
Great team and great management
Project Coordinator then Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW8 January 2018
I found everyone very friendly and easy to get along with. Everyone in our team worked very hard to get the job done and management were always approachable, supportive and appreciative.
Dept of Family and Community services
Business Support (Former Employee) –  Hornsby NSW16 December 2017
I really enjoyed myself working at FACS. The people are very good to work with and best of all there is no pressure on you to do your job. Really a good department to work for.
flexible working environment, children are at the centre of our practice, strength based and person centred
Manager - Full Time (Current Employee) –  Maitland NSW24 July 2017
no two days are alike, I could be asked about a complex case and assist the caseworker or manager to identify innovative or creative solutions, liaison and working along side other managers from NGO or stake holder group. Focus is on strength based and person centred local solutions. Coaching and mentoring new managers, attending meetings with other stakeholders to review safety planning for women at very high threat of serious injury or death, approving submissions within delegation, working in a legislative environment, awareness of international trend in child protection and out of home care, impact of NDIS on leaving care planning for young people with a disability, ability to interpret data and trends, working to targets, ensuring the office of 40 staff worked cooperatively and to a high standard
Pros
working alongside professional managers and caseworkers, very skilled administration staff
Cons
salary sacrifice was limited
very productive and easy to get along with
Policy Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW10 April 2017
a typical day would be conducting social research. I learned to never take people for granted as no cases are the same. Data needed to be reviewed to ensure that it was input correctly.
Good company to work for
Disability Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW17 February 2017
Good learning experience.
Good management.
Learned a lot of skills to work with people with disabilities.
Good shift work
Pros
good human resource department
Cons
sometimes bad management
Productive and fun workplace
HR, PAYROLL & RECRUITMENT CLIENT SERVICE OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW22 January 2017
Great place to work, fun friendly and great culture.
Supporting management along with great perks and benefits.
Training and Learning opportunities are also great
Array of opportunities
Workforce Readiness Staff Support Offcer (Current Employee) –  Newcastle NSW8 May 2016
For the period of employment within FACS (and ADHC) I have been offered an array of opportunities that have allowed me to develop and learn many skills.
ADHC is undergoing a major change as part of the introduction of the much awaited NDIS and as such is a very exciting, though sometimes difficult, place to work as this is a significant change and impacts staff in many different ways. None the less as a learning opportunity it is second to none.
Pros
Great opportunities
Cons
A high degree of ongoing change
Hard work but rewarding
Carer (Current Employee) –  Northern Rivers11 January 2016
1. Rewarding
2. Making sure that the clients needs are met
3. Learning patience and empathy as well as buliding rapport
4. Clients feeling comfortable with myself
5. Laughing with my clients
6. Generally enjoying each others company
Pros
Meeting all walks of life and dealing with each of their different needs
Cons
Split shifts, early starts
Undergoing significant changes and challenges
Senior Project Officer (Current Employee) –  Ashfield, NSW5 January 2016
FACS continues to chnage dramatically as it moves towrads a more 'out source' service provider model. FACS and in particular public housing staff and its cleints are feeling that they are not valued by the organisation.
Pros
My colleagues are great, highly skilled and driven to make real cange in peoples lives
Cons
Poor senior executive leadership.
First job after university. Learnt a lot from this job.
Client Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Canberra, ACT28 November 2015
Worked long hours in this job. Main duties include receipting and processing form from the agency., phone calls, mail, filing and going to the bank. Too much workload. Enjoy processing the forms.
Pros
Flexible time hours of work
Cons
Long hours and too much workload.
Poor Management, Poor Culture
Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  Liverpool17 November 2015
Currently going through a restructure which has been severely paralizing to the workforce. Poor Management, who set no direction and are removing skilled resources without reason. Lower level staff are fantastic.
Meeting interesting Clients, fast paced environment, Good Salary and Staff, good personal and employment development
Client Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Charlestown, NSW16 August 2015
Diverse range of tasks to deliver in one day. Included field work, to work as part of a team, and individually . Developed and learned to work with clients from a diverse cultural background, disabilities and substance abuse issues. Management can be supportive and also challenging, but overall small amount of politics, but this is to be expected working in the Public Service. Great Staff to work with from different employment backgrounds. The hardest part of the job is meeting tight deadlines, KPIs and managing complaints and challenging clients with disabilities or substance abuse issues. The job is rewarding, good balance of job/family life, supports single parents, good salary package and superannuation, good holidays/flex days.
Pros
good lunch breaks, salary and holidays
Cons
Fluctuating hours and somtimes long (Overtime)
a great professional organisation to work for
DISABILITY SUPPORT WORKER (Current Employee) –  illawarra7 August 2015
I enjoy working for an organisation that is the pillar of standards and an industry leader which ensures the highest service to the most vulnerable people in our society.
I have been given the opportunity to learn a great deal through this organisation. I have chosen to ultilise all available training opportunities in the different work areas available to me. I have worked in community development skill /job /life development. Crisis Care.Respite care for adults and children with challenging behaviours and high health needs. I have worked in accommodation care. I have case managed numerous clients over 14yrs.
Pros
being able to make positive changes in disadvantaged lives
Cons
shift work
Thoroughly enjoyed my job as a Training Administrator.
Corporate Learning & Development Training Program (Former Employee) –  Glebe NSW14 March 2015
Enjoyed working with an exceptional group of people who are dedicated to delivering the best training possible in the field of child protection to case workers and other stakeholders in Community Services.
As a Training Administrator I was responsible for the non-government sector training program (NGOTP) for NSW in the organisation and coordinating of training delivery between participants, trainers and venues - in addition to ensuring all training materials were organised and delivered to each training event.
As with any job with many balls in the air - as long as you are organised - all is well.
Pros
Great people and working environment.
Cons
No real issues - loved it there - left to be closer to my family.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Family and Community Services. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3