Department of Family and Community Services
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Department of Family and Community Services Employee Reviews

Australia29 reviews
Enjoyed working with various areas and meeting people, solving problems that were solvable. Helping and directing people to different areas. Opportunity to learn new things every day
Pros
Learning new things every day
Cons
Unable to help or solve problems
Wouldn’t recommend working for that sector. Well at least at my old workplace. Such a negative environment. Two faced colleges. Overall was a cruisey job
I really enjoyed working for DCJ (FACS) If the government had not transferred housing to community housing, i would definitely still be working with them and was really sad to see the team i was working with split. Great support from management and seen many good outcomes with clients. Flexible working hours. I looked forward and loved going to work every day.
No job security and no management accountabilities for make amy decisions or seeking an optimum outcome for families and our community. A government agency wasting enourmous amount of money fighting amongst them selves. Management and director level shakeup is needed to cleanse bad habbits and poisonous culture.
Daily shift can be fast paced but most enjoyable part my job was the individuals i was support and learning their kill level and personality.
it was so rewarding when you would assist an individual in developing a skill that enriches their lives and they are able to maintain the kills.

the hardest part of the job was at times you would come across a co worker that was not interested in their position which in turn can be felt by the individuals. but this is far and few between over all this job is amazing and i love it.
Pros
Stubility in shifts and routines
Cons
Length of time taken in commencing postions
Recommended place to work , great place to gain skills. Great to assist people in need, great salary and work culture. Friendly work colleagues. Option for progression.
encounter friendly employees and employers. fun place to work you feel very supported in terms of work and life balancing. very much encourage applying for this job
A typical day at work consists of attaching documentation to the system and assessing clients situations. I have learned I am very resilient. Management is supportive to the workers, however sometimes make decisions not understanding how the caseworkers have been working with the families.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
too much paper wrok
I loved working here as there was wide range of options and opportunities to learn new skills. The infrastructure was always up to date and management was very helpful in all respects.

Great working environment
Pros
Flexible hours, easy commute
Cons
Nothing I can think of
This was a great place to work, you actually felt like you did worthwhile work, although sometimes the hours were long and a very small group of the public could be very demanding, however most clients were great to work with, they understood the limitations and were flexible with their needs.

I enjoyed the work which was varied and the dept provided opportunities to work within various areas of this super department.

Having said that I was deeply disappointed when we were privatised as I consider that some of the functions undertaken by the dept are difficult to replicate in NGO.
Pros
Salary & conditions
Management very professional. Good training. The workplace is like other companies, different people, different behaviours but considering the whole picture is good enough. Most of the workers have been there longer so there are a lot of professionalism and too much to learn.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Low rates
I found everyone very friendly and easy to get along with. Everyone in our team worked very hard to get the job done and management were always approachable, supportive and appreciative.
I really enjoyed myself working at FACS. The people are very good to work with and best of all there is no pressure on you to do your job. Really a good department to work for.
no two days are alike, I could be asked about a complex case and assist the caseworker or manager to identify innovative or creative solutions, liaison and working along side other managers from NGO or stake holder group. Focus is on strength based and person centred local solutions. Coaching and mentoring new managers, attending meetings with other stakeholders to review safety planning for women at very high threat of serious injury or death, approving submissions within delegation, working in a legislative environment, awareness of international trend in child protection and out of home care, impact of NDIS on leaving care planning for young people with a disability, ability to interpret data and trends, working to targets, ensuring the office of 40 staff worked cooperatively and to a high standard
Pros
working alongside professional managers and caseworkers, very skilled administration staff
Cons
salary sacrifice was limited
a typical day would be conducting social research. I learned to never take people for granted as no cases are the same. Data needed to be reviewed to ensure that it was input correctly.
Good learning experience.
Good management.

Learned a lot of skills to work with people with disabilities.

Good shift work
Pros
good human resource department
Cons
sometimes bad management
Great place to work, fun friendly and great culture.
Supporting management along with great perks and benefits.

Training and Learning opportunities are also great
For the period of employment within FACS (and ADHC) I have been offered an array of opportunities that have allowed me to develop and learn many skills.
ADHC is undergoing a major change as part of the introduction of the much awaited NDIS and as such is a very exciting, though sometimes difficult, place to work as this is a significant change and impacts staff in many different ways. None the less as a learning opportunity it is second to none.
Pros
Great opportunities
Cons
A high degree of ongoing change
1. Rewarding
2. Making sure that the clients needs are met

3. Learning patience and empathy as well as buliding rapport

4. Clients feeling comfortable with myself

5. Laughing with my clients

6. Generally enjoying each others company
Pros
Meeting all walks of life and dealing with each of their different needs
Cons
Split shifts, early starts
FACS continues to chnage dramatically as it moves towrads a more 'out source' service provider model. FACS and in particular public housing staff and its cleints are feeling that they are not valued by the organisation.
Pros
My colleagues are great, highly skilled and driven to make real cange in peoples lives
Cons
Poor senior executive leadership.
Worked long hours in this job. Main duties include receipting and processing form from the agency., phone calls, mail, filing and going to the bank. Too much workload. Enjoy processing the forms.
Pros
Flexible time hours of work
Cons
Long hours and too much workload.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Family and Community Services. Our community is ready to answer.
Department of Family and Community Services Reviews by Location